BajaNomad

Baja off road

BajaMama - 4-3-2017 at 06:28 AM

We have an 2004 Jeep LJ and a M101 Canadian trailer (both customized). We do a lot of rock crawling in the sierras, but would love to join up on a Baja back country trip. (in the future, maybe next spring?) Any sites/clubs you can recommend?

David K - 4-3-2017 at 07:59 AM

Right here on Baja Nomad is one place where many of us foor wheel together.

Ken Cooke this year, had another Jeep run on the Pole Line Road... Toyotas and Land Rovers and Fords also.

As we speak, TW (TMW) and John M and others (I believe) are on the No Wimps Trail (unmapped road along the coast between El Barril and San Ignacio. They are in Tacomas. So, just let the off-roaders that post here know, and you may be able to join in. I will hopefully be leaving soon for another week research trip for the new Baja Road Guide. It will have lots of unpaved miles... But, I am moving every day as this is work, so while others are free to go with me, you may not want to drive every day.

BajaMama - 4-3-2017 at 09:58 AM

Thank you David. I often see people discuss trips but never know if they are "open." We always wheel with our club to help each other out when we have break downs!

David K - 4-3-2017 at 10:51 AM

Just u2u if you don't want to ask publically.

Ken does his Pole Line Road Tours every 2-4 years, I think. I went in 2015... and really enjoyed it... Met Nomads I had not previously as well.

Pretty much, Nomads are solo (nomadic) travelers... But, group tours or runs are great fun, on occasion.

In 2011, we did a Lost Mission Santa Isabel Search... Involved a couple miles of hiking, too. See the photos! Here on Nomad or here on a blog page I worked on that year: http://vivabajablog.blogspot.com/2011/07/lost-mission-expedi...

Ken Cooke - 4-3-2017 at 07:48 PM

I am thinking of doing some 4 wheel drive backcountry trails next winter/spring. I will post up here in the Baja Events section and talk about planning in the 'Baja Off-road' section.

The Summit - 2005

LukeJobbins - 4-3-2017 at 09:42 PM

My xj should be upgraded and built by winter and Im always down to head off the hwy if you don't mind mixing it up with an xj guy. Post up on the forum or send a u2u if you ever want to schedule a trip somewhere.

BajaMama - 4-5-2017 at 07:53 AM

Thanks for the responses. I am looking forward t back country that moves a little quicker than rock crawling!

David K - 4-5-2017 at 08:05 AM

Baja has lots of graded or flat single lane dirt roads... It is a blast to drive between the cactus down there!

del mar - 4-5-2017 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Thanks for the responses. I am looking forward t back country that moves a little quicker than rock crawling!

they were scootin pretty good sunday across laguna diablo!

willardguy - 4-5-2017 at 11:56 AM

good lord :o....you can see why the bikes need a good head start!

TedZark - 4-6-2017 at 04:54 AM

That's gotta be pre-drive, otherwise everything would be covered with dust.

Gulliver - 4-6-2017 at 09:12 PM

I think you could probably hit 200 mph across diablo. But then you'd hit a rut that someone carved out in a wet spell and bite it big.