BajaNomad

Need some suggestions for Valle Guadalupe

Santiago - 4-4-2017 at 05:54 AM

SWMBO surprised me the other day and said she wants to go south in May - Some of the more well-known hotels in the Valle are already full. Need some suggestions of smaller spots, we expect to pay in the $150-$200 for a Saturday night.
Also, dining at some place other than Laja, Finca, Beckmans.
Any 'new' wineries we should hit? It's been over a year since we have been and on the last few trips we went to the same places - we want this trip to be new-for-us spots.
Donkey Shame

bajaguy - 4-4-2017 at 06:37 AM

Suggest you try dining at La Esperanza, at the entrance to LA Cetto, just off Hwy 3. Outstanding grilled lamb chops and rib eyes. We washed it down with Malagon

Ate at a somewhat new Argentinian/Basque restaurant located at Bibayoff Winery a couple of weeks ago. The caprese salad was excellent, as was the top sirloin. The wine, a Bibayoff Zin, was underwhelming.

Doing an exploration trip Saturday, Conchas de Piedra will be one stop, I'll have more info on wineries/food Sunday

[Edited on 4-4-2017 by bajaguy]

nbentley1 - 4-4-2017 at 08:58 AM

We've stayed here a few times and it a great middle of the road place to stay:
http://www.ranchomariateresa.com/index.html
As far as eating goes Deckman's has a newer spot that focuses on shellfish that is worth a look, very light cuisine called Conchas de Piedra. If your up for it corazon de tierra is worth a look as well.

Martyman - 4-4-2017 at 09:54 AM

Montefiori has good red wine.

BajaTed - 4-4-2017 at 09:59 AM

I would highly recommend Deckmans (not Beckmans)
The rib steak for two with a bottle of their Merlot and the ambiance is great.

Santiago - 4-4-2017 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Doing an exploration trip Saturday, Conchas de Piedra will be one stop, I'll have more info on wineries/food Sunday

[Edited on 4-4-2017 by bajaguy]

Good, looking forward to it. La Esparanza was still under construction last time we went to LA Chetto. Looked interesting.

Marty knows his reds so will check that out.

Thanks and sorry for the "Beckmans", someone tell Drew to "Bend it like Beckham", heh.

soylent_green - 4-4-2017 at 04:17 PM

if you havent gone to Xecue, they have really good wines
http://www.xecue.com/index.html
Owner Jose Luis is a very good host and great source of all things baja wine. Dirt road, through a field - you cant miss it hahah. a bit tricky

elgatoloco - 4-4-2017 at 10:53 PM

Malva - good eats