BajaNomad

San Felipe

HeyMulegeScott - 4-6-2017 at 09:04 AM

We originally planned a quick dip of the toe into Baja staying in San Felipe in our RV at Victor's RV park south of town for two weeks but who can leave this?

We couldn't come up with a reason to leave so we stayed.

Baja continued to amaze.

And then the circus came to town - the San Felipe 250 Score offroad race. Our Mexican host assured us we had to stay for the biggest event in town and the last year's winning trophy truck team was going to stay next to us.

We know nothing about motor sports but surprisingly really enjoyed meeting the team and learning more about the sport. We had a front row seat behind Victor's RV park. A great group of guys.

They looked they lost a fight with Baja but actually came in 2nd in the unlimited trophy truck. I'm undecided if I would love to ride in this thing or I would end up hurling. Maybe both.

Our 14 days turned into 27 days but we finally had our last sunset in Baja... for this year. We will be back.

Trip notes -
-We took the Mexicali East border crossing down which was easy. Coming back North it was crowded and very tight for an RV.
-San Felipe has older RV spots that weren't made for modern slide out rigs but we managed to fit in front of our spot at Victor's RV park.
- The road south of San Felipe to Puertocitos is really bad so I'm not sure I would take the rig down there but we enjoyed exploring in our Jeep.

David K - 4-6-2017 at 09:11 AM

AWESOME!!!

You caught Baja Fever... yes, you will be back!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

StuckSucks - 4-6-2017 at 09:57 AM

Cool photos, thanks!

willardguy - 4-6-2017 at 10:10 AM

great trip report, perfect timing on race weekend. from what I hear everyone liked the malecon start this year, what did our own racers think?

stiladam - 4-6-2017 at 10:32 AM

Great photos indeed!

What camera are you using?

I really need to consider upgrading beyond my phone haha

blackwolfmt - 4-6-2017 at 10:43 AM

Very cool!!! thanks for postin

BornFisher - 4-6-2017 at 11:44 AM

I`m jealous!! Great report and pics!! Thanks!

fishbuck - 4-6-2017 at 11:49 AM

Great report! Thanks.

HeyMulegeScott - 4-6-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
Great photos indeed!

What camera are you using?

I really need to consider upgrading beyond my phone haha

Thanks.

Photo gear:
Canon 6D with 24-105 L and Ronkin 14mm f/2.8 for night shots
Sony A6000
GoPro Hero 5 Black - paddling shots

ehall - 4-6-2017 at 01:25 PM

Those are great pictures. Glad you guys enjoyed your stay.

HeyMulegeScott - 4-6-2017 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
great trip report, perfect timing on race weekend. from what I hear everyone liked the malecon start this year, what did our own racers think?

I think they liked the start. We ended up just watching from the sand dunes behind the park. Really festive atmosphere.

Here's some drone footage I took https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbUlAmU30fU

Perceburzr - 4-6-2017 at 08:53 PM

Aint it great!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)