BajaNomad

An effort to fund replacement for Coco's truck

John M - 4-8-2017 at 08:43 AM

For those Nomads who may be interested, a GoFundMe page has been set up to help in the purchase of a replacement truck for Coco. It is being administered by a couple from Atascadero, California in conjunction with a fellow in Ensenada. There is no need to respond here on BajaNomad either positively or negatively to this effort. Those who feel they would like to help can go to the link and donate what you deem appropriate - $5.00, $10.00, or whatever. To those who choose to help, simply going to the link and supporting this effort will speak to your generosity.

https://www.gofundme.com/cocos-corner-ranch

To those who feel otherwise, those who in the past have taken every opportunity to post caustic and unkind comments relating to Coco, your belittling this effort will also tell others a little bit more about you.

I have asked and received Doug Means OK to post this request. Those who wish more information on any of this may U2U me and I will attempt to answer your questions.

John M

chuckie - 4-8-2017 at 09:18 AM

Pretty Tall Horse...

Yes Chuckie!

John M - 4-8-2017 at 09:39 AM

Absolutely correct Chuckie, do know that a tall horse will also put you tall in the saddle.

Additionally, this past Wednesday Coco gave me nearly $1,000 that had been donated by passers by, money put into his "donation" can. This will not be reflected in the GoFundMe total. That money will be forwarded to Atascadero on Monday. Likewise additional donations were collected at the San Felipe 250 - those also will not show on the GoFundMe page.

John M

chuckie - 4-8-2017 at 10:20 AM

My current ride is 16.3 hands..Tall enough for ya? Appy/Arab

TMW - 4-8-2017 at 01:59 PM

My uncle had two plow horses that were 16 hands high, maybe more.

David K - 4-8-2017 at 02:09 PM

Thank you John for helping an 80 year old man with no legs who has done so much in the middle of nowhere to create an oasis for Baja travelers.

TW, how did he look this week (yesterday or the day before?) if you stopped on your way north?

TMW - 4-8-2017 at 02:20 PM

We stayed at Cocos Thursday night and he was doing very well. He thought rumors of his death were a bit premature. He plans on living at least another 10 years or more.

Rossman - 4-8-2017 at 03:37 PM

Stopped there on Tuesday and again today and he is doing great and as feisty as ever. Selling Coco's Tee Shirts now that are a bit over priced but you get a couple old Baja stories for free so I bought 2.

BajaBlanca - 4-10-2017 at 08:21 AM

He is a legend and miracles happen. Hope his truck is replaced soon.

David K - 4-10-2017 at 09:33 AM

TW has a great idea, perhaps?: Coco's new 4x4, already registered in his state: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86199

MMc - 4-10-2017 at 10:51 AM

John, thanks for the heads up! I love tee shirts from unique places and folks. A Coco tee shirts is a rare thing.

TMW - 4-10-2017 at 12:36 PM

I spoke with the lady doing the Fund Me page and it appears the 1989 Jeep Wagoneer is probably not the way to go with Coco. He needs a truck to haul his large water barrels, gas cans and propane tanks. So if anyone has or knows of a truck for sale in good condition at a price within budget please let us know.

update on buying a truck for Coco

John M - 4-25-2017 at 08:13 AM

I've emailed with Lisa, the sponsor of the effort to replace Coco's truck. She has the GoFundMe account money plus other donations, those given to Coco directly, and other monies from other people. She is prepared to return to Baja and buy the vehicle suited to Coco's needs - mid to late May if everything works out.

Nomads have paid a lot of visits to the earlier post/thread - and generously donated. I believe Lisa indicated that there will another couple of weeks for the account. If you feel the need, you could contact her directly through the GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/cocos-corner-ranch

Please consider supporting this effort within the next few days - $5.00 - $10.00 donations make a difference.

Respectfully

John Marnell

MMc - 4-25-2017 at 09:00 AM

Thanks John. This is a good cause for a fun guy!

BigBearRider - 4-25-2017 at 12:00 PM

I made a donation in person last week.

Truck

bajaguy - 4-25-2017 at 02:39 PM

What type of vehicle are they looking for and does it have to be modified with hand controls or other devices??

TMW - 4-25-2017 at 07:02 PM

Coco wants a Ford F250 but most likely will settle for a F150. I don't know about hand controls and as far as I know he never used them on his other truck. There were stories of him driving with sticks to push on the gas pedal and brake. Maybe he used his artificial legs when he drove.

mtgoat666 - 4-25-2017 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Coco wants a Ford F250 but most likely will settle for a F150. I don't know about hand controls and as far as I know he never used them on his other truck. There were stories of him driving with sticks to push on the gas pedal and brake. Maybe he used his artificial legs when he drove.

Sticks?
Sounds like it is time for coco to quit driving and endangering people. Perhaps you should gofund a credit-balance with a taxi company, eh?

blackwolfmt - 4-25-2017 at 07:22 PM

hey Goat just forwarded your comments to my gulf war buds and with any luck they will gift you with some sticks,
you obviously need enlightenment

MMc - 4-25-2017 at 07:31 PM

Coco, is just fine without any of us. Our little pee up don't affect him at all, we should all be like Coco!!!!!
Give a little to a guy, we should all be like!!!

[Edited on 4-26-2017 by MMc]

BigBearRider - 4-25-2017 at 08:28 PM

I think it was a friend of Coco's who wrecked his truck?

questions

John M - 4-26-2017 at 08:58 AM

Yes, Coco had loaned his truck to a friend.

Donations made at Coco's (up to three weeks ago) have been sent to Lisa who is spearheading this effort.

Lisa's husband is working on the hand controls issue.

The plan, as it stands now, is that the replacement truck will be purchased in Ensenada near the end of May with whatever donations have been received by then. Coco will be involved with selecting his truck.

The total shown on the GoFundMe account is not the total donated, although the other monies so far, are a little over $1,000 I believe.

John M

BigBearRider - 4-26-2017 at 03:30 PM

How about this truck? Maybe Coco needs Baja plates?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86364

bajabuddha - 4-26-2017 at 04:51 PM

Lemme see........ they've accumulated about a K note so far on fundme.com, so somebody will have to pony up another TEN Grand to make the deal. No problem, Nomads to the rescue!

You first. Just kidding, it's a great ideer, and deliverable! Should account for sumpin', que no? Si, porque no! :coolup:

BajaBlanca - 4-26-2017 at 05:04 PM

wow! great progress! I bet he got some more donations from the Norra racers ... let's hope so!

BigBearRider - 4-26-2017 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Lemme see........ they've accumulated about a K note so far on fundme.com, so somebody will have to pony up another TEN Grand to make the deal. No problem, Nomads to the rescue!

You first. Just kidding, it's a great ideer, and deliverable! Should account for sumpin', que no? Si, porque no! :coolup:

I think you read this wrong. There's about $5k on Gofundme, and another $1k collected. So, about $6k.

Correct BigBear

John M - 4-26-2017 at 08:49 PM

About 6k in total that I'm aware of. Another 1k is the goal but they will act to make the purchase with what donations amount to in a few weeks.

This was going on for some time before it was brought to the Baja Nomad site. Most of the donated money in the GoFundMe came prior to being posted here.

Thanks to those who have helped, and to those who offer support in other ways.

John M

bajabuddha - 4-26-2017 at 09:04 PM

Didn't see the other $5k, glad to see it's progressing. A well deserved bump in the process. Buena Suerte.

gringette - 4-27-2017 at 09:21 PM

just came across my coco's corner sticker (roadrunner w 1 leg lol) the other day and wondered how he was doing! Happy to throw some into the pile! <3 Love me some Coco