BajaNomad

Ensenada - Mountain Bikes & Gourmet Cheese Fine Dining

GypsyJan - 4-8-2017 at 05:55 PM

From the KPBS TV program "Crossing South": http://video.kpbs.org/video/2365155623/

windgrrl - 4-9-2017 at 06:20 AM

Thank you for the link to this series. I've added to my to be watched list.

Que tenga un buen dia,
W

gsbotanico - 4-9-2017 at 02:05 PM

I've been lax in watching Crossing South. Thanks for the link as a reminder. I watched the video, even though I've been to Cava de Marcelo. It's well worth a visit. The first time it's best to take the full tour to see the milking and cheese making operations and do the cheese tasting. Jorge keeps saying "ancient" cheese when we normally say "aged." Jorge is at his best when eating, as he really enjoys the food.

When I visited I got one of the staff to show we the herb garden, which is a short distance from the outdoor eating area. It's very pleasant to eat outdoors under the pepper trees. Marcelo speaks some English, but I guess he didn't want to use it with the filming. However, he did use the English word "basil," but most of the staff in the restaurant used the Spanish word "albahaca." In the herb garden a sign labeled one plant "emeldo." I didn't know it. I asked Marcello, and he told me it means "dill."

It's a long day trip from San Diego. It's an hour-drive from Ensenada on a windy road. I would have enjoyed the trip even more if I hadn't had to drive back to San Diego. It was in October and already dark in Ensenada on the way back. Not the best way to do it.