BajaNomad

Land Travel With Global Entry Card Only

stiladam - 4-13-2017 at 11:21 AM

So we're heading SOB tonight and my buddy brought his Global Entry/Sentri card but forgot his passport.

I know the card is supposed to accompany your passport but I wonder:

1) If he'll be okay at the INM office to obtain his FMM?
2) If getting back with the GE card only will CPB be a pain

Anyone tried using the GE card alone for land travel? :?:

Regardless, the first dinner is on him for being a forgetful PITA!

woody with a view - 4-13-2017 at 11:33 AM

Tell the US guy he lost the passport in Mex. then your friend needs to get a new one.

stiladam - 4-13-2017 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Tell the US guy he lost the passport in Mex. then your friend needs to get a new one.

Yikes, that sounds like a pain, especially since his passport is only a year old.

I'm thinking he has to drive the 3 hour round trip to get it haha

Have great upcoming weekend Woody!!

danaeb - 4-13-2017 at 11:44 AM

I don't think INM will issue the FMM without the passport. The passport number is a required piece of information on the FMM form, and although it appears on the back of the SENTRI card, Mexico doesn't recognize SENTRI or Global Entry. Getting back shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to show both.

stiladam - 4-13-2017 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
I don't think INM will issue the FMM without the passport. The passport number is a required piece of information on the FMM form, and although it appears on the back of the SENTRI card, Mexico doesn't recognize SENTRI or Global Entry. Getting back shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to show both.

I was thinking the same thing. He may just have to be an illegal traveler for a few days

MMc - 4-13-2017 at 02:26 PM

Yep! he'll be flying under the radar. Coming home no problem, I cross with just with the sentri in the non-sentri lanes without it often.

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  

BajaMama - 4-13-2017 at 03:50 PM

He will be fine coming back to USA with global entry and valid ID. USA will not deny entry to a citizen. Regarding Mexico, the Global Entry is a USA item, not a Mexican item. He needs a passport or passport card to obtain an FMM for legal Mexico entry.

Good luck.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by BajaMama]

stiladam - 4-13-2017 at 05:44 PM

Thanks for the input all. He went back to get his passport and his pride haha!

I told him it would be fine but he wanted to go get it. All's well...We'll be having Pacifico's by 9:30pm, and that's what matters.

stiladam - 4-13-2017 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Well done, props to him for abiding by the laws of Mexico.

Always try to follow the rules of the land and have the best intentions.

GE Card

bajaguy - 4-13-2017 at 06:21 PM

Global Entry is as good as a SENTRI card for getting back into the US and you can also use the SENTRI lane

Beagle - 4-13-2017 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Global Entry is as good as a SENTRI card for getting back into the US and you can also use the SENTRI lane

Really, Baja Guy?! I've been trying to find that out. We have ours. So just pull into the Sentri Lane on our way back?

That's great news!

Sorry for the hijack

bajaguy - 4-13-2017 at 07:29 PM

CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S.

Global Entry Frequently Asked Questions | U.S. Customs and Border ...
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler.../global-entry/...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1295/~/using-gl...

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

Really, Baja Guy?! I've been trying to find that out. We have ours. So just pull into the Sentri Lane on our way back?

That's great news!

Sorry for the hijack

[Edited on 4-14-2017 by bajaguy]

Beagle - 4-13-2017 at 07:54 PM

CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S.

That's great news!

Sorry for the hijack

Thanks, Bajaguy!

Yes, it says 42 dollars to register a vehicle with the Global Entry system if It's not already on there. Decisions…decisions...

bajaguy - 4-13-2017 at 07:56 PM

Do it....makes Baja more enjoyable

That's great news!

Sorry for the hijack

Thanks, Bajaguy!

Yes, it says 42 dollars to register a vehicle with the Global Entry system if It's not already on there. Decisions…decisions...

DawnPatrol - 4-14-2017 at 03:38 PM

yes do not drive into the Sentri lane in a vehicle not pre-registered!
You will be detained in Secondary for hours, and then you will get a stern warning and a "Strike" on your Sentri. You don't want two strikes, then you lose it.
They may even make you go to the back of the regular line with the Non- Sentri registered vehicle
Be careful , as others have stated they have very strict rules
Alan from San Diego

[Edited on 4-14-2017 by DawnPatrol]