BajaNomad

San Ignacio whales

BajaMama - 4-23-2017 at 04:36 PM

My sister, her husband, my husband and I want to see the gray whales in San Ignacio lagoon winter/spring 2018. Can anyone help with the best guides/outfitters and best way to stay there (at the lagoon in the cabins or in a motel in San Ignacio? Best time to go?

As always I really appreciate the Nomad experience and knowledge!

gallesram - 4-23-2017 at 05:36 PM

We went in March and used Kuyima Ecoturismo; they were awesome. I'm not sure I'd stay at the lagoon; after a few hours on the water it's nice to head back to civilization for some amenities (like a hot shower & a good meal). They have camping on the lagoon however if you want to go that route. They have an office right on the plaza in San Ignacio. $50/person for the whale tour.

surfhat - 4-23-2017 at 05:56 PM

For Ojos de Liebre lagoon near Guerrero Negro, our own Shari Bondy is the one. Not San Ignacio, but a worthwhile consideration.

Her tours are called Whale Magic and are magical for a reason.

Her schedule fills up every season, so the earlier the better reservations are suggested.

You can see her posted trips on Youtube. You too will be captivated.

Thanks to all here.

shari - 4-23-2017 at 06:46 PM

thank you Surfhat....maybe try both lagoons Mama! It would be my pleasure to introduce you to my whale friends in Ojo de Liebre. And we will have our new whale camp up and running in 2018 with beautiful wall tents...glamping really, great food in the dining room..spectacular beach with whales swimming only meters from the camp. You can see more info on what I do at www.whalemagictours.com

BajaMama - 4-24-2017 at 06:43 AM

Thank you for the info - Shari I am working on getting them as far north as GN, I think both lagoons would be fun.

nbacc - 4-25-2017 at 10:34 AM

GN is awesome. We stayed at the Cowboy hotel (there are several others also). It was clean and nice........if you stay there take some extra blankets. Gets cold on the coast.

nbentley1 - 4-25-2017 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  
We went in March and used Kuyima Ecoturismo; they were awesome. I'm not sure I'd stay at the lagoon; after a few hours on the water it's nice to head back to civilization for some amenities (like a hot shower & a good meal). They have camping on the lagoon however if you want to go that route. They have an office right on the plaza in San Ignacio. $50/person for the whale tour.

I'll second the Kuyima recommendation, we've been using them pretty much every year for the past 10+ years. Never any issues and always an amazing time. But if you can hit both why not.....

BigBearRider - 4-25-2017 at 11:59 AM

I went with Kuyima in February, and then again last week. It's a fantastic experience.

I'd be open to trying another lagoon and/or outfit as well.

Jbstevens44 - 4-25-2017 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I went with Kuyima in February, and then again last week. It's a fantastic experience.

Last week? Isn't it late for the whales ? Did you still see them?

BigBearRider - 4-25-2017 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jbstevens44  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Last week? Isn't it late for the whales ? Did you still see them?

We went last Tueaday. There were certainly fewer whales, but enough. All moms and babies. Great stuff.