BajaNomad

TIP required for RV's coming into baja

willardguy - 4-24-2017 at 09:46 AM

anybody see this over on TB?
as of april 17th they're requiring RV's coming thru san ysidro to purchase a TIP, $59 for 10 years.

chuckie - 4-24-2017 at 09:57 AM

I magine it will be effective at all Border Crossings, wont it?

TedZark - 4-30-2017 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
as of april 17th they're requiring RV's coming thru san ysidro to purchase a TIP, $59 for 10 years.

Did this happen? Or did they forget?

willardguy - 4-30-2017 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Did this happen? Or did they forget?

It did happen at least to the folks that reported it back on the 23rd.

Paco Facullo - 4-30-2017 at 07:14 PM

Anyone know what they deem an RV ?

Would a pickup truck with a camper on the back be considered so ?

I have a Toyota Tacoma a with a Four Wheel popup camper on it.

RV TIP

bajaguy - 5-2-2017 at 02:49 PM

Any first hand update on this??

daveyjoans - 5-3-2017 at 08:13 AM

In late April we crossed into Baja at the SanYsidro/tijuana border. We have a 26ft motorhome with a tow vehicle. We know the drill, go to the immigration office, have the registrations ready to show the officer, drive through the X-ray machine, which we did. After the X-ray another officer had us pull over, and told my husband the TIP (temporary import permit) was needed. We were unaware this was required for Baja, as it never was in the past. We know it is required for mainland. She said this is new. So we went back into the customs/immigration to obtain the permit. It was a bit confusing , immigration didn't even know about it. We went to the banjercito (bank) window and paid $1000.00 pesos roughly $60 usd.

cliffh - 5-3-2017 at 08:58 AM

Can you get a TIP in Tecate ??? thanks Cliff

unbob - 5-3-2017 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daveyjoans  
We went to the banjercito (bank) window and paid $1000.00 pesos roughly $60 usd.
That TIP is valid for 10-years - correcto?

AKgringo - 5-3-2017 at 07:47 PM

I have been playing with the idea of taking my old class C SOB some day. It would be a one way trip if I can find a reasonable storage arrangement, and having to get a TIP would be a reasonable thing to do.

What I wonder about, is what kind of problems does this create for people who are already in country with their rigs? I doubt that this will be uniformly enforced at all entry points, so there are sure to be a bunch of unknowingly illegal tourists!

This, and enforcement of FMM requirements could be ripe for shakedowns.