BajaNomad

The Current List of Permiited Items across the border into the U.S. (Apr. 2017)

David K - 4-26-2017 at 11:26 AM

There are often questions as to what fruits, vegetables, and other foods from Mexico can be brought across the border.

Yesterday, I asked the border officer if he had that kind of list. The last one I got was back in 2001. It seems as nothing has changed, and this new list was issued in 2009.

Anyway, as of April 25, 2017:

IF it is not on this list, it isn't allowed... such as oranges, apples, eggs (uncooked), uncooked chicken, pork (ham) lunchmeat (unless it is canned, like Spam). Dirt (soil) is a NO-NO... wash the truck in Mexico if there is mud clinging to the underbody or excessive dirt anywhere.
==============================================================================

Monday afternoon, in El Rosario, Car Wash 'El Popeye', Km. 57 marker, just north of Baja Cactus Pemex... 4 men worked on it... an exterior only wash was just 120 pesos (I added a tip to this crazy low price). I had my truck washed there last month, as well:

chippy - 4-26-2017 at 11:51 AM

I wonder where you can get the complete list of fruits,vegetables and plant products? Never mind I found it. Pays to read the whole thing:light:

Thanks for posting the list!

[Edited on 4-26-2017 by chippy]

[Edited on 4-26-2017 by chippy]

woody with a view - 4-26-2017 at 11:59 AM

Fish isn't listed. I guess as long as you declare your stuff its up the the guy?

David K - 4-26-2017 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Fish isn't listed. I guess as long as you declare your stuff its up the the guy?

Good point! In theory it isn't on the list, so not permitted. Maybe, seafood isn't considered agriculture?

bajabuddha - 4-26-2017 at 12:07 PM

You can declare Smut Gals???? Darn, I left mine in Tijuana ! :(

Bajazly - 4-26-2017 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
You can declare Smut Gals???? Darn, I left mine in Tijuana ! :(

I find it much better to leave them there. Serves two purposes, A) you don't have to deal with them 24/7 and B) you have something to look forward to go back to, granted they are worthy of a lasting impression of course.

BajaMama - 4-30-2017 at 08:04 AM

I am pretty sure caught and frozen fish is permitted. I always bring it back up and I always declare it at the border.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/bringin...

From this CBP webpage, it appears that fish is okay.

[Edited on 4-30-2017 by BajaMama]

David K - 4-30-2017 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I am pretty sure caught and frozen fish is permitted. I always bring it back up and I always declare it at the border.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/bringin...

From this CBP webpage, it appears that fish is okay.

[Edited on 4-30-2017 by BajaMama]

Thanks for that link. Here is the line item in the discussion:

-Fish- personal amounts of fish, shrimp, abalone and other seafood are allowed and can be fresh, frozen, dried, smoked, canned or cooked