BajaNomad

Eagles sue Hotel California

BornFisher - 5-2-2017 at 08:44 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/eagles-sue-hotel-california-150...

excerpt----
REUTERS - The Eagles have filed a lawsuit accusing the owners of a Mexico hotel of using the name "Hotel California," arguably the band's most famous song, without permission.

In a complaint filed late Monday, the Eagles said owners of the 11-room Todos Santos hotel in Baja California Sur "actively encourage" guests to believe the hotel is associated with the band, in order to sell t-shirts and other merchandise, and make guests feel welcome.

This allegedly included piping "Hotel California" and other Eagles songs through the hotel sound system, and selling t-shirts in that refer to the hotel as "legendary," resulting in apparent confusion among many guests who posted online reviews.

The Eagles also noted that the defendant Hotel California Baja LLC has applied with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to register the Hotel California name.

"Defendants lead U.S. consumers to believe that the Todos Santos Hotel is associated with the Eagles and, among other things, served as the inspiration for the lyrics in 'Hotel California,' which is false," the complaint said.

del mar - 5-2-2017 at 09:13 AM

Don's running low on cash again......

David K - 5-2-2017 at 09:17 AM

The Hotel California was in business there LONG before the Eagles formed a band!

That the hotel made the claim connecting them to the band is wrong, however.

There are many Hotel Californias in Baja.

http://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/baja/gulick/m91-72-02.htm...
Hotel California, Todos Santos on April 18, 1957

Hotel California 1957.jpg - 46kB

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by David K]

SFandH - 5-2-2017 at 09:28 AM

Looks like the owners, doing business as "Hotel California Baja LLC", have plans to use the name "Hotel California" on more than their hotel and make it a brand name for:

Fragrances, perfumes, eau de toilette, essential oils for personal use, perfume oils; toiletries and cosmetics, eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses; frames, lenses and protective cases for eyewear, eyeglasses, and sunglasses; eyewear accessories…

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/hotel-california-baja-l...

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by SFandH]

imlost - 5-2-2017 at 10:26 AM

The album cover of Hotel California is actually a picture of the Beverly Hills Hotel. ...Maybe the Hotel sued the Eagles. :lol:

Here's a picture of the hotel in 1925. They've since changed the exterior to a facade that barely deserves a yawn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beverly_Hills_Hotel#/media...

del mar - 5-2-2017 at 10:32 AM

what would the "dude" (big lebowski) say?:coolup:

ncampion - 5-2-2017 at 11:35 AM

Just another example of what a litigious society we are. I like the Eagles but this is just stupid.

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2017 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

He would say. ....." FU*K it MAN, I hate the Eagles "

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by Paco Facullo]

pauldavidmena - 5-2-2017 at 03:08 PM

I guess The Eagles have slowed down their touring schedule and need to supplement their fat royalty checks through frivolous lawsuits.

Lee - 5-2-2017 at 03:43 PM

Seems like whatever article I read about Todos and Hotel California, reference is made to the Eagles song. Link between the two is denied by the hotel but my impression is they are creating a mystique possibility that the song is about this hotel.

Hotel California has La Coronela restaurant and a new bistro SANTO VINO, with celebrity chef Dany Lamote. It really is a happening place. Might be a coincidence that the Tequila's Sunrise Bar and Grill is across the street.

DanO - 5-2-2017 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

He would say. ....." FU*K it MAN, I hate the Eagles "

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by Paco Facullo]

"I had a rough night, and I hate the flocking Eagles, man." Here, enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc

DanO - 5-2-2017 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Looks like the owners, doing business as "Hotel California Baja LLC", have plans to use the name "Hotel California" on more than their hotel and make it a brand name for:

Fragrances, perfumes, eau de toilette, essential oils for personal use, perfume oils; toiletries and cosmetics, eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses; frames, lenses and protective cases for eyewear, eyeglasses, and sunglasses; eyewear accessories…

Yeah, the pending trademark application (the others on that page were abandoned) seeks to cover even more than that, including clothing, footwear, jewelry, leather goods, luggage, hats, you name it, and to sell goods and services with that trademark throughout the U.S. and worldwide. This has zero to do with the hotel, and everything to do with a crap ton of merchandising revenue.

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/22/hotel-86822138.html

Interestingly, the Eagles filed their own trademark application the day before they filed their opposition to the Hotel California's application. This is far from a slam dunk either way.

https://trademarks.justia.com/873/06/hotel-87306414.html

BajaBlanca - 5-2-2017 at 04:54 PM

So, if I understand correctly, the hotel was built in 1957 and was indeed around waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the song was written?

del mar - 5-2-2017 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So, if I understand correctly, the hotel was built in 1957 and was indeed around waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the song was written?

eagle's formed in 1971....hotel california came out in 1977 so yeah....waaaaaaaaaaaay before.

motoged - 5-2-2017 at 05:02 PM

I was under the impression that the hotel was initially connected to the church next door and housed priests/nuns...as I was told that when I stayed there in the late 80's for $25/night.

But then, most things people say are just repetitions of what others tell them or they have heard....

Damn, life is full of fake news.....eh?! :(

The Eagles Sue Hotel California

Beagle - 5-2-2017 at 05:47 PM

I was always annoyed when people would connect the two. Sorta ruined the song for me. Maybe it will slow down the traffic from Cabo of people coming to take selflies in front of it, in the middle of the street.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-eagles-hotelcaliforn...

Edit: I see it was already posted in General Discussion. Sorry for the re-post.

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by Beagle]

Beagle - 5-2-2017 at 05:54 PM

They should be grateful. Where else can you hear their music droning on and on, over and over? Free advertising.

elgatoloco - 5-2-2017 at 06:01 PM

The Eagles have spent 40 years making music and building a brand that is know all over the world. The Hotel California has been playing off the whole 'connection' and it was cute until they tried to trademark it. I have no problem with the Eagles trying to protect what they have built. Any responsible business owner would and should do the same. Kind of like when Disney sues a day care center for painting pictures of Goofy and Mickey walls.

I remember when the Eagles did their acoustic version of the song Hotel California. The happiest guy on the planet was the poor sap working the gift shop at the hotel around that time. He at least had two songs to listen to over and over and over and over and over. Even if they were the same song. He told me the owners would not allow him to play anything else. Ever.

SFandH - 5-2-2017 at 06:15 PM

I'm with you elgatoloco. If this was just about the hotel I'd say the Eagles were being frivolous; but, it looks like the hotel owners are planning a line of products named with an expression that is clearly associated with the Eagles and their hit song.

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2017 at 06:52 PM

Based on the hotel name coming before the song, it appears the songwriter ripped-off the hotel name, eh?

joerover - 5-2-2017 at 09:10 PM

The now defunct Hotel California, is near Hearst castle.

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air

Back when it was $10 for a lid , man They did not have high quality marijuana as they do today. Colitas, refers to the very top of a bud. Some how they thought the very tip of the top bud on the plant ws better, stronger.

tripledigitken - 5-3-2017 at 09:33 AM

Back in the mid 90's we stopped in at the Hotel California for a drink. Just a couple of grey ponytailed gringos enjoying a drink too. For a half hour or so all that was played on the sound system was Eagles songs, over and over. When we paid our bill I asked the bartender if he ever got tired of the Eagles music, his response, "it hasn't been so bad since they came out with the new album". We had a laugh and went on our way.

(1994 they released When Hell Freezes Over, after years of no albums.)

David K - 5-3-2017 at 09:45 AM

Great story Ken!

The Name Game

MrBillM - 5-3-2017 at 09:58 AM

Years ago, in Yucca Valley, a new (Taco) restaurant opened in the old Dairy Queen locale.

Corona's lasted for a short time before being sued by the Brewer and becoming Santana's for many years now without a problem.

From that band or others.

Mexitron - 5-3-2017 at 10:28 AM

I can see how the hotel is taking things too far and a lawsuit wouldn't be out of line but after seeing the documentary on the Eagles awhile back with Don Henley talking more like a CEO than a musician its even less surprising that this would be happening--I mean they kicked out Randy Meisner because he couldn't sing the high note on one song anymore ('Take it to the Limit').

turn about is fair

durrelllrobert - 5-3-2017 at 11:10 AM

Just wondering how many US hotels use the names of favorite Mexican songs like La Bamba, Besame Mucho, Ceilto Linda or La Cucaracha (just kiding in that one) or if the Mexican Bands have ever threatoned to sue them? There is a La Bamba hotel in Lodi and (susposedly) a La cucaracha hotel in El Cajon.

JoeJustJoe - 5-3-2017 at 11:12 AM

It looks like it's a publicity stunt by a dying band still trying to get attention, or a nuisance lawsuit designed to scare the hotel to pull the name of the hotel, from 'Hotel California" to something else, knowing that lawsuits alone, costs thousands of dollars to defend, and can easily break a small business.

If I were the hotel I would call the bluff, of the "eagles band" and have the hotel's attorneys, challenge the jurisdiction of the LA court from even hearing the case with a motion.

And even if the Eagles were successful with a lawsuit, what will they win? There are no Punitive damages in Mexico, and some US courts have been known to award damages according to the laws of Mexico, not the US, and that would be nothing, after deducting the attorney fees.

And then there is the collection of the judgement. Good luck with collecting that from a business in Mexico.

David K - 5-3-2017 at 11:20 AM

The Hotel California was there before the Eagle's song was written.
The hotel should tell the Eagles to change the song lyrics (lol)!

norte - 5-3-2017 at 11:32 AM

Ya hafta wonder where this forum is going when this thread gets 29 replies and 833 views. Isn't there anything better going on?

willardguy - 5-3-2017 at 11:41 AM

the hotel's claim to fame was being the first place in Todos Santos to offer cold beer by bring ice from LaPaz. Now they're caught trying to make a fast buck off the Eagles fame.
Im totally with the band on this one......ymmv

Lee - 5-3-2017 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Ya hafta wonder where this forum is going when this thread gets 29 replies and 833 views. Isn't there anything better going on?

Guess there's nothing here that interests you. Ever been to the hotel? Do you know Todos? Everything there. Use to travel to La Paz for provisions. Now go no further than Todos. Chose LP for supplies over Cabo because of the old road. It was never a fun and relaxed drive. Now, it's an autobahn and part of Paradise.

I love the Hotel California and the food really is great. Don't get out much and haven't been there is a couple years. Out of town guests love it there too.

Beagle - 5-3-2017 at 12:01 PM

Don't forget about Tequila Sunrise, directly across the street. They could maybe just sue the whole block.

Edit: I see Lee already pointed that out.

But if anything was named after a song….

norte - 5-3-2017 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Guess there's nothing here that interests you. Ever been to the hotel? Do you know Todos? Everything there. Use to travel to La Paz for provisions. Now go no further than Todos. Chose LP for supplies over Cabo because of the old road. It was never a fun and relaxed drive. Now, it's an autobahn and part of Paradise.

I love the Hotel California and the food really is great. Don't get out much and haven't been there is a couple years. Out of town guests love it there too.

Many times, mostly many years ago. Todos Santos (not just Todos) like much of the Baja California peninsula lost its appeal for me with the influx of gringos and crime. We have now evolved to the Eagles suing Hotel California and shootouts in San Jose del Cabo as being headliners. No thanks...not for me. Have fun shopping at Costco.

DanO - 5-3-2017 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
It looks like it's a publicity stunt by a dying band still trying to get attention, or a nuisance lawsuit designed to scare the hotel to pull the name of the hotel, from 'Hotel California" to something else, knowing that lawsuits alone, costs thousands of dollars to defend, and can easily break a small business.

If I were the hotel I would call the bluff, of the "eagles band" and have the hotel's attorneys, challenge the jurisdiction of the LA court from even hearing the case with a motion.

And even if the Eagles were successful with a lawsuit, what will they win? There are no Punitive damages in Mexico, and some US courts have been known to award damages according to the laws of Mexico, not the US, and that would be nothing, after deducting the attorney fees.

And then there is the collection of the judgement. Good luck with collecting that from a business in Mexico.

Uh, no.
1. Hotel California Baja LLC, the company that is seeking to trademark "Hotel California," is a California-based limited liability company (https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/CBS/Detail), so your jurisdictional argument would be DOA.
2. Mexican law doesn't apply to U.S. trademark infringement cases, and under trademark law, willful infringers can be liable for treble (punitive) damages and attorneys' fees.
3. But I'm sure the Eagles could care less about the collectability of any money judgment -- they're in it to stop these people from making money off their work by selling goods with their trademark on them -- which is why we have trademark laws. That said, it's an interesting question whether the term "Hotel California" really is protectible as a trademark, but the fact that the Hotel California Baja LLC folks have repeatedly sought to register it as their own trademark seems to be an indication that they think it is.

And as for your assertion that they're a dying band still trying to get attention, well, Glenn Frey did die, so there's that. On the other hand, they've sold over a hundred million records, fifth all-time after the Beatles, Garth Brooks, Elvis and Led Zeppelin. http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of... It doesn't exactly seem like they're starving for attention to me. (Disclaimer -- the Eagles are far from my favorite band, but Joe Walsh frickin' ROCKS!)

DanO - 5-3-2017 at 02:21 PM

Following up on my Joe Walsh disclaimer above, here's Joe playing a few songs and hanging out with Darryl Hall. Playlist, where you can jump to the songs, is on the lower right. Enjoy.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=75

chippy - 5-3-2017 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Following up on my Joe Walsh disclaimer above, here's Joe playing a few songs and hanging out with Darryl Hall. Playlist, where you can jump to the songs, is on the lower right. Enjoy.

Thanks dano!

luv2fish - 5-3-2017 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

The two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name.

Lee - 5-3-2017 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

There's a youtube video of Cheap Trick at Darryl's too.

Had Joe Walsh on factory installed 8-track 1970 ''James Gang Rides Again.'' Funk #49. 50 year fan.

joerover - 5-3-2017 at 08:24 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of...

In Deadwood South Dakota.
A saloon has the real wild bill death chair.
Another saloon has the authentic wild bill death chair.

Both of those saloons were built long after he died
Infact; there is only one building in Deadwood over 100 years old.

Many a saloon or hotel has a false claim to fame. How do you get the tourists to stop for truth?

monoloco - 5-3-2017 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
The Eagles have spent 40 years making music and building a brand that is know all over the world. The Hotel California has been playing off the whole 'connection' and it was cute until they tried to trademark it. I have no problem with the Eagles trying to protect what they have built. Any responsible business owner would and should do the same. Kind of like when Disney sues a day care center for painting pictures of Goofy and Mickey walls.

I remember when the Eagles did their acoustic version of the song Hotel California. The happiest guy on the planet was the poor sap working the gift shop at the hotel around that time. He at least had two songs to listen to over and over and over and over and over. Even if they were the same song. He told me the owners would not allow him to play anything else. Ever.
The hotel has been called the Hotel California for over a half a century, it's not like the owners named it that to cash in on the popularity of the song with the same name. The fact that the hotel has the same name as the song doesn't has little to do with it's popularity, the previous owner pushed that fable relentlessly, and it still ended up as a boarded up run down hulk. Is it the responsibility of the hotel to put a disclaimer on the front of the building letting their clients know they have no relationship to the song or the band? They do in fact have such a disclaimer on the hotel's website. The current owners have made a significant investment and devoted a good many years of their labor into making the hotel the success that it is today, and they have every right to cash in on the name of their successful business to sell products as long as they have make no reference to the band or the song. What gives the Eagles the exclusive right to a name that had already existed for many many years when they decided to use it as a song title?

monoloco - 5-3-2017 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
Back in the mid 90's we stopped in at the Hotel California for a drink. Just a couple of grey ponytailed gringos enjoying a drink too. For a half hour or so all that was played on the sound system was Eagles songs, over and over. When we paid our bill I asked the bartender if he ever got tired of the Eagles music, his response, "it hasn't been so bad since they came out with the new album". We had a laugh and went on our way.

(1994 they released When Hell Freezes Over, after years of no albums.)
In the mid-nineties the previous owner told anyone who would listen that it was in fact the famous hotel from the song, the fact that the hotel failed and ended up as a run down boarded up hulk is evidence that the current popularity of the hotel has little to do with the name association to the song. The current owners bought the hotel in 2001 and made a considerable investment in refurbishing the hotel and turning it into one of the central attractions of the town, I believe that most of the people who visit the hotel neither believe that it is associated with the Eagles, nor care. The popularity of the hotel has been very beneficial for the town providing many good paying jobs.

monoloco - 5-3-2017 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
Don't forget about Tequila Sunrise, directly across the street. They could maybe just sue the whole block.

Edit: I see Lee already pointed that out.

But if anything was named after a song….

That is the business of the former owner who is still shamelessly trying to cash in on the myth.

monoloco - 5-3-2017 at 09:59 PM

Many times, mostly many years ago. Todos Santos (not just Todos) like much of the Baja California peninsula lost its appeal for me with the influx of gringos and crime. We have now evolved to the Eagles suing Hotel California and shootouts in San Jose del Cabo as being headliners. No thanks...not for me. Have fun shopping at Costco.
Since it has lost it's appeal for you, why do you feel the need to participate in a Baja forum? Just to constantly put your negative two cents worth in? And yes, I do enjoy shopping at Costco, and driving there on the nice new safe four lane highway. I have been here over 25 years and still haven't had to dodge a bullet. I really used to enjoy southern California back when it had orange orchards, and it's not for me now, but I don't feel the need to go on a travel forum for southern California and denigrate it.

norte - 5-4-2017 at 06:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Since it has lost it's appeal for you, why do you feel the need to participate in a Baja forum? Just to constantly put your negative two cents worth in? And yes, I do enjoy shopping at Costco, and driving there on the nice new safe four lane highway. I have been here over 25 years and still haven't had to dodge a bullet. I really used to enjoy southern California back when it had orange orchards, and it's not for me now, but I don't feel the need to go on a travel forum for southern California and denigrate it.

Oh darn. I forgot you have to be a part of the new baja elite to post here.

DENNIS - 5-4-2017 at 07:43 AM

http://st2.depositphotos.com/2117297/11498/i/950/depositphot...

monoloco - 5-4-2017 at 10:13 AM

Oh darn. I forgot you have to be a part of the new baja elite to post here.
You said yourself that Baja "is not for you" so why troll a Baja forum? There are other forums for Baja and Mexico haters.

JoeJustJoe - 5-4-2017 at 11:14 AM

Give it a rest Monoloco. The guy just stated his opinion that he is tiring of Mexico, and thinks threats like this one are boring.

He is entitled to his opinion, and I don't really see it as degrading Mexico. Believe me, I know degrading posts of Mexico when I see it.

Now Monloco, why have you suddenly decided to monopolize this thread?

monoloco - 5-4-2017 at 04:14 PM

Give it a rest Monoloco. The guy just stated his opinion that he is tiring of Mexico, and thinks threats like this one are boring.

He is entitled to his opinion, and I don't really see it as degrading Mexico. Believe me, I know degrading posts of Mexico when I see it.

Now Monloco, why have you suddenly decided to monopolize this thread?

Because I have lived here for a long time and know a bit about the issue and don't like seeing a bunch of false info spouted about a business that has been very good for the town.

joerover - 5-4-2017 at 07:33 PM

Because I have lived here for a long time and know a bit about the issue and don't like seeing a bunch of false info spouted about a business that has been very good for the town.

IS someone against your little town?

or

Is did a guy in Ensenada using a name to sell stuff up in the usa. Oh, law suit in California Alta about imported goods, selling on someone elses fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XyozcFLXA

monoloco - 5-4-2017 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

or

Is did a guy in Ensenada using a name to sell stuff up in the usa. Oh, law suit in California Alta about imported goods, selling on someone elses fame.

A guy in Ensenada? Actually, a woman in Pescadero, who does much for her community owns it.

elgatoloco - 5-5-2017 at 09:46 AM

or

We saw Paul Simon in concert last year up in Bezerkley. Great band. He didn't do that song but he did a lot of others. All the hits. Good times. :dudette:

durrelllrobert - 5-6-2017 at 03:17 PM

e]

According to the luv2fish post above the current owners are part of the Hussong family? "The two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name. "

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by durrelllrobert]

pauldavidmena - 5-6-2017 at 03:52 PM

When I first visited the Hotel California in Todos Santos a few years back, I wanted to dislike it because of its ostentatious presence on the main drag, but I soon began to realize that it has earned its prominent place downtown. I wasn't there during the days when the previous owner played up the supposed Eagles connection, so I can't speak to that. Instead, I enjoyed the laid-back vibe at the bar, the banter with the bilingual staff, and the lush courtyard that also served as a concert space. The Todos Santos Music Festival has cemented that positive impression over the years.

The lawsuit seems to be more about licensing merchandise for sale outside of the hotel and not the hotel itself. I don't know enough about copyright law - particularly when it spans international borders - to comment on it.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by pauldavidmena]

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by pauldavidmena]

kboy24 - 5-8-2017 at 05:12 AM

I Like the Dude:cool:

Hook - 5-9-2017 at 09:04 AM

I'm with the band. The Hotel is clearly trying to monetize more than a hotel and use the Eagles as a marketing tool. That's wrong.

Besides, "Hotel California" is clearly a state of mind, a lifestyle, not an actual place in the song.

The Eagles are just protecting themselves from others using their fame as a marketing tool. They dont need the money. Even beyond being "only" the fourth best selling band ever, I am fairly sure that nobody has made more money touring than the Eagles. I was in NY two summers ago and the CHEAPEST seats in the house (MSG) were hundreds of dollars. The Eagles are rather infamous for being the most expensive concert seat. By far, really.

JoeJustJoe - 5-9-2017 at 01:38 PM

A number of members here have said the "Eagles" are not after any money, but are just protecting their fame, or trademark, and couldn't care less about any money.

Well, that could be part of their motivation for filling a lawsuit against the hotel, but according to the actual lawsuit, they are after money, and then some! The Eagles band, wants the whole enchilada, and all the revenue the band allegedly claim "The Hotel California" has allegedly made off the Eagles band name.

The Eagles, wants recover all profits that Defendants have obtained from these activities, which include t-shirts, posters, sweatshirts, keychains, and a whole host of other things the Eagles band claims. They also reasonable attorney's fees, injunctive relief, damages, and other relief.

I understand the Eagles band, is like a rabid dog, and often goes after companies, they claim are infringing on their "Eagles" name.

Who knows if the "Eagles" will win the lawsuit, because that Hotel California, was there in 1950, before the "Eagles band was started in 1971. The Eagles attorney's claim, the "Hotel California' had a name change to "Todos Santos Hotel” and seems to be implying that discounts any attempt to say the "Hotel California" was there before the Eagles band.

And yes, the "Eagles" said "Hotel California" is clearly a state of mind, and not a place. Could that weaken the Eagles legal case?

How about the Eagles, using Yelp reviews, to try to prove, the "Hotel California" is trying to deceive the pubic into believing there is a link between the Eagles, and the Hotel California?

del mar - 5-9-2017 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
e]

According to the luv2fish post above the current owners are part of the Hussong family? "The two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name. "

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by durrelllrobert]

well I don't claim to know who owns it NOW....but the lawsuit names John ans Debbie Stewart originally from canada as the culprits that were ripping off the bands fame. all the boy's want them to do is knock that chit off!

JoeJustJoe - 5-9-2017 at 02:09 PM

The lawsuit mentions Debbie and John Stewart, who brought the hotel in 2001, and allegedly took the first steps to rip off the "Eagles" but the lawsuit also says there has been name and ownership changes through the years.

The Defendants are Hotel California Baja LLC, a California limited liability company, and collectively, they are Doe Defendants, as in the name John Doe, to be named later. That's common in lawsuit, naming Doe Defendants, and then adding names later.

Who knows if Debbie and John Stewart, are even still involved in the hotel.

The Eagles want to crush, break and bankrupt their legal opponents. The has-been Eagles band deserves to lose.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

DENNIS - 5-9-2017 at 03:11 PM

[rquote]=1078032&tid=86430&author=luv2fishThe two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name.[/rquote]

Hussong........German heritage. Not Russian.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by DENNIS]

Hook - 5-9-2017 at 08:22 PM

Sorry, JJJ, but you just have so little credibility with your arguments, past and present. I have no time to pick them apart............and no reason to. Better to let you twist in the virtual wind, from your own rope.

The "has-been" Eagles will continue to sell millions of records for the foreseeable future, the same way the Beatles have sold millions since they broke up in '69. They are that iconic, whether one likes them or not.

Of course they are suing for monetary damages. It's motivation for the defendants to settle out of court.

Man, I wouldnt want to go up against the attorneys that the Eagles can afford. Henley might be worth a few hundred million. Frey's estate, equal in value, will probably support him in anything he does.

Steamroller Blues for the Hotel CA.

mtgoat666 - 5-9-2017 at 08:58 PM

Never understood popularity of the eagles. Out of curiosity I looked at my Spotify list of several thousand rock songs to see if I liked even one of their songs to add it to a playlist. The eagles came up with a score of zero.
I hope when the baby boomers die off some of their worst musical artists will disappear at same time, and classic rock radio will improve.

Anywho, if "hotel California" is a "feeling" or "mood" created by the cultural excesses of California, and California culture is a sum creation of it's citizens, then shouldn't the eagles be paying a share of song profits to all of the citizens of Californian that collectively make California the greatest state in the nation?

willardguy - 5-9-2017 at 09:09 PM

okay i'll start...goats Ipod.

nickleback
limp bizkit
coldplay
jonas bros
greenday

next! :lol:

[Edited on 5-10-2017 by willardguy]

Lee - 5-9-2017 at 11:30 PM

1977, Live Liberty Center, 4 minutes into Hotel California, Don Felder and Joe Walsh playing the best dualing guitars ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80Q_FQGKj4

[Edited on 5-10-2017 by Lee]

JoeJustJoe - 5-10-2017 at 10:52 AM

I don't think I'm the only who who relates to the Big Lebowski, when he hears a Eagles, song playing on the radio inside the taxi cab he is riding.

The Eagles suck!

willardguy - 5-10-2017 at 11:02 AM

I don't think I'm the only who who relates to the Big Lebowski, when he hears a Eagles, song playing on the radio inside the taxi cab he is riding.

The Eagles suck!

wake up joe....we already did this four pages ago :rolleyes:

JoeJustJoe - 5-10-2017 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

wake up joe....we already did this four pages ago :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't see it, because it was only posted in a link. Like other members around here, I skip most links posted around here.

At least by putting up a YouTube video with the BBcode increases the chances the video will actually be seen.

OK Dude.

del mar - 5-10-2017 at 11:26 AM

nickleback
limp bizkit
coldplay
jonas bros
greenday

:lol: now thats cold!......

mtgoat666 - 5-10-2017 at 11:34 AM

nickleback
limp bizkit
coldplay
jonas bros
greenday

I got one green day song on my playlists. Sorry, the others did not make the cut.

What is an ipod? Is that one of those nostalgic devices you baby boomers listen to?