BajaNomad

EASY CAMPING K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Señor)

David K - 5-3-2017 at 10:43 AM

Doing these research trips, my camps are just for overnight stops.

I have a Coleman Instant Tent, takes seconds to pop up... and just a few minutes to take down, roll up, and stuff back in the bag.

I have an air mattress, and the Tacoma has a 110v outlet in the bed. Using an extension cord, I have power up to 50 feet to inflate the mattress.

I have a folding camp chair with a little table on the side. I use the tailgate of my truck for the main table to cook and prep on.

I have an ice box (the 5-Day ice life model). I get three 10 lb. blocks to keep milk, OJ, some fruit, water, and beers cold. I have added one bag of ice near the 5th day, but so far, the blocks last 7 days.

My camp gear is in one plastic tub and a duffle bag: Stove (Coleman propane), Lantern (LED), Coffee pot (for boiling water mostly). I have another tub for food (cereal, freeze dried meals, canned goods, PB &J, bread, etc.). I have a flat of water bottles with several in the ice chest.

I have one of those blue 6-gallon water jugs, for cleaning, cooking... but rarely use even half during a week trip. I do spend 1-2 nights at a motel during a week for showers and an easy night without setting up camp.

All the bouncing, the blue jugs have gotten dented and formed cracks that leak. I tried a different tie down method this past trip and no leak yet.

The sleeping bag and clothes bags are in the back seat of my truck, along with the air mattress when driving, the tire pump, etc.... keeps dust off them.

I take a box or several of the artificial fire logs... for an easy a pleasant camp fire. If there is native dead wood, I may add to it.

Pretty easy... I have camp up in 20 min. and I can then relax, go over notes, text with my wife and friends with the inReach device, and see the stars before I go in the tent.

Did I cover it all?

4x4abc - 5-3-2017 at 11:37 AM

too much for simple

David K - 5-3-2017 at 01:35 PM

Yes, I know you use no tent or stove. I sleep under the stars in some places. Bugs and fog being reasons for the tent for me.

shari - 5-3-2017 at 03:28 PM

I would forego the case of bottled water and buy water as you go...we carry 1 gallon jug and refill our steel drinking bottles. I also use a calcetin or coffee sock instead of a coffee pot or french press...they are flat and real compact. I LOVE my Colman cot...dont need to blow it up!

David K - 5-3-2017 at 03:45 PM

There are no stores where I go, so the water bottles are what I drink mainly... Singles so they are cold... Too big and it would be warm before drinking it all. I do sips not gulps and only a couple bottles a day, usually.

When I see broken down vehicles, walking ranchers, or soldiers who are thirsty... I can offer them a cold water bottle and they all seem very pleased with that.

I use the coffee pot to boil water for my freeze dried dinners, tea, or cocoa. If I feel a need for coffee in camp, I have coffee bags or instant with powdered creamer.

I have a cot as well... okay for a couple nights. On extended multi night trips as I am doing for this new book research, the cot was just not comfortable so I got a single air mattress. Getting old sucks! I did not sleep comfortably in January with the cot.

Hope to see you again soon Shari, as I research the Vizcaino Peninsula on a future trip... maybe soon? September with you and Juan with my tour group was epic... the fireworks were a nice touch, too! :biggrin:

TMW - 5-3-2017 at 05:26 PM

Cerveza is better than water.

freediverbrian - 5-3-2017 at 05:30 PM

If you have room in your freezer at home I like to freeze one gallon water bottles and use as ice in your cooler. When they thaw no water in cooler and cold water to drink

David K - 5-3-2017 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Cerveza is better than water.

There is only so much beer one can drink before one cannot drive, or at night when the stomach can take no more. I have a beer when I set up camp and maybe a second when sitting at the campfire. Now, if I was camping with others, maybe the socializing and conversation may require a third? I got by on one six pack of XX last week's trip... and brought one beer home! I am easy.

David K - 5-3-2017 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
If you have room in your freezer at home I like to freeze one gallon water bottles and use as ice in your cooler. When they thaw no water in cooler and cold water to drink

That is a neat idea... maybe next trip I will try it? I do freeze several of the single water bottles and put them in the ice chest to have ice cold water ion the tent at night. They stay frozen most of the week, too.

AKgringo - 5-3-2017 at 07:31 PM

DK, I am envious of the luxurious camp you are able to travel with in your Tacoma! If you removed your back seat, and put nothing in the bed of your truck, you would have an idea what camping in my Kia is like.

I don't carry any cooking gear, I can live out of an ice chest and a box of canned and dry goods for a few days or weeks at a time. I pack a tent, but most nights, I put the passenger side seat all the way down, and sleep in the car with my dog right next to me.

It is more comfortable than it sounds, and I have a 110v inverter and battery back-up if I feel like watching a movie.

I also freeze water in jugs to start my trip, mainly because the water in Grass Valley is about the best drinking water I have found, and I have it on tap!

mtgoat666 - 5-3-2017 at 08:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I would forego the case of bottled water and buy water as you go...we carry 1 gallon jug and refill our steel drinking bottles. I also use a calcetin or coffee sock instead of a coffee pot or french press...they are flat and real compact. I LOVE my Colman cot...dont need to blow it up!

Single use disposable plastic water bottles are environmentally wasteful. best to have a re-usable 1 liter bottle, and a 5 gal jug in the vehicle :light:

mtgoat666 - 5-3-2017 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I use the coffee pot to boil water for my freeze dried dinners,...

Freeze dried dinners? Yuck!
If car camping with cooler full of ice, take meat and perishable goodies. Veggies keep fine in a cardboard box for a week plus. Your Toyota has capacity to carry good food (I think a double cab Tacoma can carry maybe a 500 lbs load, eh?), so why eat reconstituted cardboard for dinner?

[Edited on 5-4-2017 by mtgoat666]

David K - 5-3-2017 at 09:47 PM

Because I want EASY and QUICK.
I cooked when I was young and had kids. Now, I am researching and am only stopping to sleep and rest in a different place each night.
I thought I explained all that in one of my trip reports in 2017?
If I was in a town, like El Rosario or Santa Rosalillita, I have a well-cooked meal as it is someone else doing the cooking and cleaning.

I also explained why I use 19 oz water bottles earlier.

Paco Facullo - 5-4-2017 at 07:35 AM

Hey David , thats a nice way to go.

As for the single serving waters as long as they are recycled whats the problem?

I like to cook and eat well, so when I'm camping I bring along meals that I made at home and froze in plasic containers , lasagna, eggplant parmigiana, tuna noodle casserole, etc. It sure is worth it for a quick easy and good meal while camping.
And as everyone knows , leftovers are always better, especially while camping.

Soon to be on your heels as I just acquired a Toyota Tacoma TRD meslf.

Bajaboy - 5-4-2017 at 08:03 AM

David,

I second the idea of freezing water in milk jugs. Reusable and they last a long time. Also, if you need water in a pinch, you have it.

We bought two Luci solar inflatable lights for our trip to Sierra San Francisco last year. I love them and highly recommend them. I keep them in my glove box in case of emergency.
https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-Outdoor-Inflatable-Solar...

Zac

BajaTed - 5-4-2017 at 08:25 AM

Ice chest A/C unit for the tent, the white noise from the fan and cool air helps me sleep. Its SO quiet in Baja in the morning just before dawn that you can hear the ants crawling:)

Condo Camping

bajaguy - 5-4-2017 at 08:54 AM

I take my condo when I camp

https://kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/kamp-rite-do...

bkbend - 5-4-2017 at 09:20 AM

Use the cot and put your air mattress or a pad on it, make it as soft as what you are using on the ground. Much easier to get up off the cot. Pull it outside the tent for star viewing.

David K - 5-4-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Hey David , thats a nice way to go.

As for the single serving waters as long as they are recycled whats the problem?

I like to cook and eat well, so when I'm camping I bring along meals that I made at home and froze in plasic containers , lasagna, eggplant parmigiana, tuna noodle casserole, etc. It sure is worth it for a quick easy and good meal while camping.
And as everyone knows , leftovers are always better, especially while camping.

Soon to be on your heels as I just acquired a Toyota Tacoma TRD meslf.

Congrats on the Tacoma... I hope you have a fun time with it. Join Tacoma World forums to get absolutely everything you may need to read about Tacomas. The frozen meals in a bag is great... I have done this before. Maybe because of my age, but I just don't make cooking and food such a big deal as I used to. I am losing weight, slowly, too. A great side effect. Thank you for your reply! I am 'David K' on Tacoma World, too.

David K - 5-4-2017 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
David,

I second the idea of freezing water in milk jugs. Reusable and they last a long time. Also, if you need water in a pinch, you have it.

We bought two Luci solar inflatable lights for our trip to Sierra San Francisco last year. I love them and highly recommend them. I keep them in my glove box in case of emergency.
https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-Outdoor-Inflatable-Solar...

Zac

The owner of the FJ Cruiser in our Baja Extreme 2016 tour had a string of those lamps. Very cool. See them in the video he made of the tour:

David K - 5-4-2017 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Use the cot and put your air mattress or a pad on it, make it as soft as what you are using on the ground. Much easier to get up off the cot. Pull it outside the tent for star viewing.

I have the high ride air mattress. It doubles as a couch in my tent, as it is as high. But, great idea for others!

BajaTed - 5-4-2017 at 10:54 AM

ice chest air conditioners are a big help as long as you have access to ice

David K - 5-4-2017 at 11:35 AM

If you can't take the heat... yadda yadda yadda :cool:

Anyway, this post was just sharing how I do very simple camping on my expedition trips. One night stops, nothing glamorous beyond an air mattress and a tent.

I read of so much prep and expense for some to go camping. It just doesn't have to be that complicated or take a lot of supplies (if you can get by without gourmet meals and air conditioning)!

It has yet to be hot on my trips this year! In fact, it has been painfully cold in January and February, trying to sleep!

Bring on the heat!:light::bounce:

[Edited on 5-4-2017 by David K]

ehall - 5-4-2017 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

Im trying this next time. My cot works great but isn't what I would call comfortable.

mtgoat666 - 5-4-2017 at 12:51 PM

I read of so much prep and expense for some to go camping. It just doesn't have to be that complicated or take a lot of supplies (if you can get by without gourmet meals...

Funny. I think one of the best parts of car camping is making and enjoying gourmet meals! Great camping food doesnt take much effort or supplies

David K - 5-4-2017 at 01:38 PM

Hey, let's go, you can cook! How much gourmet can you take on your bicycle?

joerover - 5-4-2017 at 07:44 PM

Hey, let's go, you can cook! How much gourmet can you take on your bicycle?

More than you think. I eat real food. Rice, carrots, tuna, pasta, eggs. Those freeze dried things are not very delicious. They are for people who climb big mountains. Just to hard to carry carrots and rice on your back up thousands of feet. Also, do not poor boiling water into a plastic bag, bad for your health.

not what I am here to type about.

http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/Shelter-Products/TCOP
I like my tent low to the ground. The wind on that big thing, ahhch.

joerover - 5-4-2017 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Funny. I think one of the best parts of bike camping is making and enjoying gourmet meals! Great camping food doesnt take much effort or supplies

Food tastes better when you cook it on the coals.
why¡?
Takes a little while. Good and hungry by the time it is ready.

Lengua - 5-4-2017 at 07:50 PM

Great report , naysayers ....quit being so negative -write your own report with your own ideas of what you like when you go camping .

David K - 5-4-2017 at 08:30 PM

Thanks.

This is not about regular camping it's about easy one night stops. I am in no way telling anyone to do this. I just am letting you know it can be that easy.

Boiling water is not put in plastic bags. They are metal bags.

I like to stand up in my tent. Easy to get dressed.

Those backpacking meals are very tasty. Beef stroganoff is our favorite.

PaulW - 5-5-2017 at 07:01 AM

About the blue jugs. The main failure is the large closure with the valve. Failure after several years is a given. The fix it to have a spare which is low cost and available on the web.
Of course an un-restrained jug can be damaged on those bumpy Baja roads
Sure enough over the years I have found both failures

Simple camping.. I pretty much do it like David. My stuff of course fits in the pickup, but also inside the Jeep.

joerover - 5-5-2017 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lengua  
Great report , naysayers ....quit being so negative -write your own report with your own ideas of what you like when you go camping .

Naysayers?
Is this a public forum with a thread about camping gear?

David K - 5-5-2017 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
About the blue jugs. The main failure is the large closure with the valve. Failure after several years is a given. The fix it to have a spare which is low cost and available on the web.
Of course an un-restrained jug can be damaged on those bumpy Baja roads
Sure enough over the years I have found both failures

Simple camping.. I pretty much do it like David. My stuff of course fits in the pickup, but also inside the Jeep.

The blame is really mine... bungees allow things to bounce, and I don't drive slow enough (lol). The last trip I used cinch straps on the water and gas cans... I still got a couple corner dents, but no crack. The gas can uses thicker plastic so it didn't get dented. I also emptied it on my first overnight stop down there, once the tank was below 1/4 burned (5 gallons = just under 1/4 of the 21-gallon Tacoma tank. I use very little water and mostly have it for emergencies and to give to others in need. So, it stays more full than empty and that keeps it heavy until the end of my trips.

As a Jeep Wrangler or CJ owner, you MUST learn to pack light!!! My wife has a neat off road trailer used to pull behind her 1979 CJ-5 Renegade, with the 304 V-8. The Jeep is gone, but the trailer lives on!