BajaNomad

Pot bust near Canoas

Goyo - 5-3-2017 at 03:46 PM

In case this one slipped by y'all, almost 350 kilos of weed:
http://www.elvigia.net/general/2017/3/1/asegura-sedena-paque...

In the event that URLs can't be posted (or I'm posting it incorrectly), in Google search: Canoas+Sedena

David K - 5-3-2017 at 03:48 PM

LOL... was through the area last week! I could have been able to retire or just have a happy campfire, mon!

chippy - 5-3-2017 at 03:52 PM

Happy campfire yes,retire no. Its mexican but weed.

blackwolfmt - 5-3-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Happy campfire yes,retire no. Its mexican but weed.

WORD!!!:cool:

David K - 5-3-2017 at 05:04 PM

Butt? As in skunk?? Maybe it was grown in Colombia? :coolup:

woody with a view - 5-3-2017 at 05:05 PM

butt as in crap

blackwolfmt - 5-3-2017 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
butt as in crap

WORD!!!!! :cool:

MMc - 5-3-2017 at 05:32 PM

David, you could have wound up in a very bad place. I am glad you did not.

David K - 5-3-2017 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
David, you could have wound up in a very bad place. I am glad you did not.

Thank you!
If I died there then I would be in Baja when I die, and I can't think of any other place as close to heaven, as Baja California!

sancho - 5-3-2017 at 05:46 PM

Wonder price wise, how the Mex weed compares to say Calif.
medicinal/ legal weed despensaries. I would assume US
weed is, for lack of another word, better. Is the age old weed
smuggling from Mex threatened by US legalization? Must be
somewhat cheaper if it is still coming across from SOB

Goyo - 5-3-2017 at 06:22 PM

David, I read some of your recent trip report where you talk about that exact area. I was going to post the article in your thread but thought of creating a new post instead. As most travelers who frequent that general area will attest, when you see Mexicans living out at the remote coast and they are not fisherman, something is definitely "fishy" (pun intended)! Vibora totally spooks me. Too much activity from the Mexicans - none of which involves the ocean.

blackwolfmt - 5-3-2017 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Wonder price wise, how the Mex weed compares to say Calif.
medicinal/ legal weed despensaries. I would assume US
weed is, for lack of another word, better. Is the age old weed
smuggling from Mex threatened by US legalization? Must be
somewhat cheaper if it is still coming across from SOB

$400 Mexican brick per #, 12 to1500$ #, Colorful:o Colorado

woody with a view - 5-4-2017 at 07:26 AM

There was a youtube video a few years back about the goings on there.

David K - 5-4-2017 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
David, I read some of your recent trip report where you talk about that exact area. I was going to post the article in your thread but thought of creating a new post instead. As most travelers who frequent that general area will attest, when you see Mexicans living out at the remote coast and they are not fisherman, something is definitely "fishy" (pun intended)! Vibora totally spooks me. Too much activity from the Mexicans - none of which involves the ocean.

Thank you for making it a separate post.

I want Americans to feel comfortable about traveling and camping in Baja. Baja Nomad is a big part of that education from trip reports (actual people writing about what really happens). News, fake or real, can scare away people from enjoying life. Just getting out of bed each day is a risk. Going to Baja is a risk. Going to Disneyland is a risk. You just have to decide if news stories are going to dictate everything in your life.

I did not see ANYTHING that hinted of illegal activity. I drove to the fish camps and there were boats and the usual lobster traps, etc. This was at Puerto Santa Catarina, Puerto Canoas, (Faro) San José (de la Piedra), and the others, many looked abandoned.

It will not help the economy and lives of the locals if we are scared to go to Baja, and it robs us of great pleasure.

There are robberies, shootings, and bad things every day here in the USA... But, I don't lock myself inside and fear going out.

The choice is yours, naturally. Just plan your trip with as many facts as possible and leave the drama back home!

[Edited on 5-4-2017 by David K]

BooJumMan - 5-4-2017 at 08:14 PM

This last year we were in the area we had several Cessna's do circles around our camp. It was unnerving. We ended up leaving since it was just my wife and I.

A few months before we had 2 guys up on a hill checking us out, probably 200 yards up. We waved but they just duck behind a rock, and then saw them scurry off. They were at least a mile from the road. Very odd behavior. Driving out we were stopped by a caravan of Humvees and military trucks they asked us if we had seen any planes or boats at the coast. We said no, and drove out of there.

I'm surprised by your arrogance DK. I have respect of your passion of Baja, but to go to this area once and act like an expert is embarrassing.

Goyo - 5-4-2017 at 08:29 PM

Perhaps this is the video that Woody was referring to. The Central Baja portion starts just after 12:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al6xI04f3ug

As long as they don't mess with Gringos, I don't care what the locals are doing down there. I always have wondered if Gary Patton might have been in a place at the wrong time and saw too much. I know there were a lot of theories being discussed on this forum. This isn't necessarily my theory. We'll never know what really happened.

woody with a view - 5-5-2017 at 04:59 AM

Yeah thats it.

mtgoat666 - 5-5-2017 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
This last year we were in the area we had several Cessna's do circles around our camp. It was unnerving. We ended up leaving since it was just my wife and I.

A few months before we had 2 guys up on a hill checking us out, probably 200 yards up. We waved but they just duck behind a rock, and then saw them scurry off. They were at least a mile from the road. Very odd behavior. Driving out we were stopped by a caravan of Humvees and military trucks they asked us if we had seen any planes or boats at the coast. We said no, and drove out of there.

I'm surprised by your arrogance DK. I have respect of your passion of Baja, but to go to this area once and act like an expert is embarrassing.

were you camped on the coast or inland?

on that coast, i would stick to the coastal camp spots and avoid inland areas. when you camp inland where people never camp,... you risk stumbling upon activities you dont want to stumble upon.

shari - 5-5-2017 at 09:27 AM

I would keep these documented potential "trouble" areas in mind David if you do a tourist guide book....I always warn our guests who asked me about places to camp...not to camp in certain places we know have ummm....possible narco activity or are particulary risky. At least they will have been warned.

May not be prudent to lead a whack of innocent campers to into a dangerous area.

woody with a view - 5-5-2017 at 09:30 AM

What Shari said. Better yet, leave all mention of that coast out of your book!

🤣

elgatoloco - 5-5-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
12 to1500$ #, Colorful:o Colorado

Which:

1) If what I've uh... heard about potency is true, would probably be a lifetime supply for those that choose it as an alternative;

2) Is probably less than many Nomads' annual ethanol bill.

True on both counts. :saint:;D

David K - 5-5-2017 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

Arrogance ???
Not my intention at all...
It was my second time on most of those roads and even a third on some. You actually need to read the trip report to get that.
So I can improve and not "embarrass you", please quote where I "acted like an expert" of anything other than what may be considered such (driving on dirt roads, camping, and Baja history are the only three that may have sounded that way if they were mentioned) being one with over 40 years adult experience with them.

David K - 5-5-2017 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I would keep these documented potential "trouble" areas in mind David if you do a tourist guide book....I always warn our guests who asked me about places to camp...not to camp in certain places we know have ummm....possible narco activity or are particulary risky. At least they will have been warned.

May not be prudent to lead a whack of innocent campers to into a dangerous area.

The "book" content is pretty much right here and for you, me other Nomads.... people who already go to Baja and may want to expand their trips to enjoy more. Should I add there may be chupacabras and alien spaceships too, as a warning? I expect and advise anyone who leaves pavement for more than an earshot of the highway to have responsibility and only go if they are already seasoned off-road drivers, have good quality tires, vehicles, and supplies.

To the surfers who want to keep it peaceful there: a book, magazine, or website report does not bring in hoards of goofy footing city slickers. If that were true it would be busy with surfers because books, magazines, and websites have been detailing the Seven Sisters for ages.

It is GOOD ROADS you need to fear.
Even with that excellent dirt highway all the way to Punta Cono from Santa Rosalillita, the place is still deserted 95% of the year.

You went there a first time. Are you so holy that nobody else can go there after you did?

My report, guide, whatever, does NOT mention surfing spots (or fishing spots) just road details because there actually are other people who like to drive on dirt roads, see the backcountry or see beaches who DO NOT SURF!

mtgoat666 - 5-5-2017 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The "book" content is pretty much right here and for you, me other Nomads.... people who already go to Baja and may want to expand their trips to enjoy more. Should I add there may be chupacabras and alien spaceships too, as a warning? I expect and advise anyone who leaves pavement for more than an earshot of the highway to have responsibility and only go if they are already seasoned off-road drivers, have good quality tires, vehicles, and supplies.

To the surfers who want to keep it peaceful there: a book, magazine, or website report does not bring in hoards of goofy footing city slickers. If that were true it would be busy with surfers because books, magazines, and websites have been detailing the Seven Sisters for ages.

It is GOOD ROADS you need to fear.
Even with that excellent dirt highway all the way to Punta Cono from Santa Rosalillita, the place is still deserted 95% of the year.

You went there a first time. Are you so holy that nobody else can go there after you did?

My report, guide, whatever, does NOT mention surfing spots (or fishing spots) just road details because there actually are other people who like to drive on dirt roads, see the backcountry or see beaches who DO NOT SURF!

"You went there a first time. Are you so holy that nobody else can go there after you did?"
Dk, i think people are pointing out that narco activity should be pointed out as a potential hazard... i dont think people are making up stories about narco activity to falsely scare away people

David K - 5-5-2017 at 10:27 AM

Then all of Baja should be reported as a narco location... as all of California, all of the USA, etc., because there are narcotics crimes here, too.
YET, we all still go to Baja, to Disneyland, to the market down the street.
Where do you draw a line to the fact that bad stuff happens EVERYWHERE and you will either be a part of it or not? The location has little to do with it.... because it happens EVERYWHERE.

Bajaboy - 5-5-2017 at 10:38 AM

If these areas are known for narco activity, why don't the authorities patrol more? Unless of course they are paid to look the other way. I've always wondered how drugs can flow so easily up the Peninsula?

So yes, please share trouble areas if possible.

David K - 5-5-2017 at 10:54 AM

It is patrolled, some of it, anyway.

There was a military humvee that was on the Santa Catarina/Canoas road just before I got on it.

I waited for their dust to settle by having a look at the ghost town of Guayaquil first.

MMc - 5-5-2017 at 04:23 PM

what Shari said!!!!
I spent a day helping a guy stuck along there. He had no business being there. He had read a report about it on Nomads and went for it, even he agreed his was in over his head. He had been there for a day and a half, we were the first people he saw. Not even the narcos go there much in the winter.
When I saw the video posted above, I took it off the list of places to visit again.

rts551 - 5-5-2017 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
what Shari said!!!!
I spent a day helping a guy stuck along there. He had no business being there. He had read a report about it on Nomads and went for it, even he agreed his was in over his head. He had been there for a day and a half, we were the first people he saw. Not even the narcos go there much in the winter.
When I saw the video posted above, I took it off the list of places to visit again.

I am with you on this one. People rush to make recommendations on the roads in that area...sometimes with little experience in the area or dated information. When going this route we always travel with at least one other vehicle..preferably 2.