BajaNomad

A new Baja Photo Book, coming soon! OMG!!

David K - 5-5-2017 at 05:17 PM

From Sunbelt Publications...

BOOK DETAILS

Categories: Mexico/Baja California, Natural History/Ecology, Outdoor/Travel/Trail Maps.
Format: Softcover
Pages: 112
Dimensions: 10 x 9
ISBN: 9781941384329
Year Published: 2017
Language: English
Publisher: Sunbelt Publications, Inc.

Baja’s Wild Side
A Photographic Journey Through Baja California’s Pacific Coast Region
Author: Daniel Cartamil, PhD.

COMING SOON!

Baja’s Wild Side features the photography and stories of shark biologist Dr. Daniel Cartamil as he explores Baja California’s Pacific Coast region. Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization. From the high sierra to ancient cave paintings hidden deep in the desert, to the surf-pounded Pacific, readers will discover Baja California’s little-known “Wild Side.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Daniel Cartamil, PhD.

Dan Cartamil, PhD., is an expert in shark biology at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, CA. His passion for the natural world has led him to 10 years of photographing Baja California's untamed wilderness, particularly the Pacific coast region where he conducts research to protect migrating sharks from over-fishing. Fluent in English and Spanish, Dan has been able to dive deeply into Baja’s spectacular landscapes with the support of locals, including academic colleagues and artisanal fishermen. Dan is also an environmental consultant and avid conservationist — he lives and plays music in Encinitas, California.

BOOK WEB SITE: https://www.bajaswildside.com/

[Edited on 8-27-2017 by David K]

woody with a view - 5-5-2017 at 05:48 PM

Photography is art. Turn by turn directions is lame.

4x4abc - 5-5-2017 at 07:25 PM

since people are still asking for convoy partners to drive from the border to La Paz turn by turn directions are definitely needed. Artsy pictures are cool, but they don't help you survive the hostile Mexican road environment.

MMc - 5-5-2017 at 10:26 PM

"Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization."

This pretty much sums up why I value it so much.

You do love stuffing it in our faces don't you.
I am out. HAVE A NICE DAY!

BooJumMan - 5-5-2017 at 10:32 PM

I find it interesting that you find joy in trying to popularize places which are beautiful and untouched and where an average Joe can find solitude along the coast without tons of money to fly somewhere exotic and off the map. And, yes, I know this isn't your book. I've seen this guy posting it all over Talk Baja. He's selling out like a ****** to make money. Seriously, the idea BLOWS my mind. I really don't care if people go there, it's the fact that people are trying to publicize it through countless blogs, articles and books to show the masses on how empty it is... Yeah wow, that makes great sense!

The Seven Sisters isn't even about the surf. The surf there is sub-par at best. It is (was) the ability to camp by yourself, enjoy the ocean and your surroundings without others, without traffic and buildings. The ability to surf waves without another soul around was a very special thing, that really is hard to find in this ENTIRE WORLD, let alone a place reached by car for a citizen in North America.

What don't you get about it? You love Baja just as much as many of us do. Why do you want to publicize locations that rarely exist in the world today without development. We all know what happens when somewhere in Mexico becomes popular... greed and money takes over and the place is ruined forever.

Believe me, If I was camped there, and I saw you drive by, I'd wave you down and offer you a beer and food. I enjoy meeting people while out camping. I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by BooJumMan]

JZ - 5-5-2017 at 10:44 PM

Who's driven from the turn off before Catavina down to San Jose. Been studying and mapping it out on GE. Wondering how rough/challenging the going is?

We should be able to fly down on bikes, but want to keep the truck in one piece.

rts551 - 5-6-2017 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Driving directions?
There are only road details in what I am making. No directions because that implies I am telling people where to go.
I am not, to any specific place that is.
Where you go on these roads are YOUR decision, not mine.

Pretty photos may be more dangerous than uncolorful text at attracting people?

David, that is a cop out. You are calling it a guide book for a reason.

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
I find it interesting that you find joy in trying to popularize places which are beautiful and untouched and where an average Joe can find solitude along the coast without tons of money to fly somewhere exotic and off the map. And, yes, I know this isn't your book. I've seen this guy posting it all over Talk Baja. He's selling out like a ****** to make money. Seriously, the idea BLOWS my mind. I really don't care if people go there, it's the fact that people are trying to publicize it through countless blogs, articles and books to show the masses on how empty it is... Yeah wow, that makes great sense!

The Seven Sisters isn't even about the surf. The surf there is sub-par at best. It is (was) the ability to camp by yourself, enjoy the ocean and your surroundings without others, without traffic and buildings. The ability to surf waves without another soul around was a very special thing, that really is hard to find in this ENTIRE WORLD, let alone a place reached by car for a citizen in North America.

What don't you get about it? You love Baja just as much as many of us do. Why do you want to publicize locations that rarely exist in the world today without development. We all know what happens when somewhere in Mexico becomes popular... greed and money takes over and the place is ruined forever.

Believe me, If I was camped there, and I saw you drive by, I'd wave you down and offer you a beer and food. I enjoy meeting people while out camping. I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by BooJumMan]

There are 7,500,000,000 people on this planet. Good luck finding solitude on the beach! Until nuclear war or an asteroid cleans up this place, only the uber rich will be able to buy solitude on the beach,...

Get rich and buy a private beach/private island, erect a big wall, hire guards to evict the poor that dare to enjoy nature on your beach!

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
"Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization."

Guide books and coffee table art books hasten the verging.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by mtgoat666]

surfinggrandpa71 - 5-6-2017 at 07:52 AM

Maybe its just me, but it sure seems the La Jolla travelers sure enjoy exploiting Baja. The book looks beautiful , but at what price. They find a little piece of paradise and adventure, but return with 25 of their closest amigos the next year. I saw what happened in Scorpion Bay some 15 years ago, it was an embarrassment, especially since I am from the SD area. the whole allure of Baja is the unknown, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

rts551 - 5-6-2017 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
Maybe its just me, but it sure seems the La Jolla travelers sure enjoy exploiting Baja. The book looks beautiful , but at what price. They find a little piece of paradise and adventure, but return with 25 of their closest amigos the next year. I saw what happened in Scorpion Bay some 15 years ago, it was an embarrassment, especially since I am from the SD area. the whole allure of Baja is the unknown, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

for me the unknown baja was 30-40-50-60 years ago. For my son it was 28 (as a baby) and 15 years ago (living there on his own). I suspect some today, find that same "unknown" allure. Its all relative.

bajabuddha - 5-6-2017 at 09:58 AM

I've lost several hallowed places to 'guide books' put out so somebody can make a buck off their own pleasures. However one thing I had to realize and admit to was being what I call, "The Last Pioneer". So many have the NIMBY door-slammer mentality; wanna be the last one in, shut the door, tick-tock... game is locked and no one else can play. Want it to stay just like you found it. One must realize that you were also 'brought' there by someone else, and you're not only part of the problem, but a propagator none the less. It's called progress, and we are all singularly just a grain of sand on this boulder spinning around a star. I believe that if I don't keep my mouth shut, there's no room to complain when I get crowded out. But due to my presence there I just added one more grain of sand to the equation.

woody with a view - 5-6-2017 at 10:44 AM

We all agree that there ain't no secrets! We also agree that this post is just another F-YOU so our resident hero can squeeze some pesos for himself! Nobody is taking anything from our hero as a visitor, it's just when he wants to have it pad his bank account that the meeerda gets deep!

Another book on the market showing turn by turn directions is just excessive! Our resident hero trying to grow his chilito.

willardguy - 5-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
We all agree that there ain't no secrets! We also agree that this post is just another F-YOU so our resident hero can squeeze some pesos for himself! Nobody is taking anything from our hero as a visitor, it's just when he wants to have it pad his bank account that the meeerda gets deep!

Another book on the market showing turn by turn directions is just excessive! Our resident hero trying to grow his chilito.

SFandH - 5-6-2017 at 11:05 AM

I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

I like that statement. Reckless and irrational.

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 11:31 AM

The great thing about the USA is the public lands we protect so we and future generations can experience the wilds. Unfortunately, Mexico has not put aside many public lands. Cabo would be desirable today if half had been put aside before developers ruined it. And even more unfortunate, trump and GOP stooges for resource extraction corporations are trying to destroy the USA success in protecting OUR public lands. Sad!

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

I like that statement. Reckless and irrational.

I am fine promoting a place for it's solitude, as long as the land is protected so it maintains it's solitude.

I think wildcoast has been creating conservation easements along the 7 sisters coast,... hopefully conservation will be successful in the face of guidebooks hawked to the hoards in the the socal suburbs.

willardguy - 5-6-2017 at 12:09 PM

Yes, the 'hoards' here in socal are so just waiting for a guidebook so they can flood into Mexico. If only a guidebook existed so they could cross into Mexico and destroy its solitude!!! :lol:
Yep, that's what keeps all those ugly Americans from going to Mexico and driving a hundred dirt road miles to a beach without any services!

don't stop now, only 20 to go! :yes:

SFandH - 5-6-2017 at 12:24 PM

Yes, the 'hoards' here in socal are so just waiting for a guidebook so they can flood into Mexico. If only a guidebook existed so they could cross into Mexico and destroy its solitude!!! :lol:

Certainly travelers are inspired to go places by the travel books they read. Well, maybe not by all the travel books they read.

woody with a view - 5-6-2017 at 12:40 PM

Our position is set in stone. We are the last of those who venture down a 60 mile dirt road. We dont need a map. We dont make money on a book with up to the minute directions.

Not taking anything from our resident hero except the adventure he forgot exists for the people who might look down that 60 mile road when they pucker up and go.

bajabuddha - 5-6-2017 at 12:52 PM

I used to drive 150 miles to then drive another 30-50 miles of dirt to get to beauty and solitude without any 'services' to camp peacefully, until some honyock wrote "Hiking the San Rafael Swell" guidebook, and within a year it was wall-to-wall L. L. Bean brats and ATV's everywhere. The gummint had to step in and rope off some areas not totally destroyed yet, and boy howdy did the yokels yell.

Also used to have a chance at getting river permits for the Big Ditch (Grand C.), Gates of Lodore, Cataract Canyon, Snake, Salmon, Hell's Canyon.... with some luck. Then came the hoards. I'm done with that now but a good friend I recently talked to said none of his group pulled a permit anywhere this year. Notoriety is not such a good thang.

Also seems to me there was a thread not too long ago with a lot of griping about fenced off back-country Baja dirt roads... geez, I wonder why.

So go ahead, DK... try to please everybody, but remember: You're NOT Tequila ! ;)

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by bajabuddha]

TMW - 5-6-2017 at 01:03 PM

I remember back in the early 80s we would go to the Glamis sand dunes and ride 3 wheelers. Regular weekends not many people but on holiday weekends lots of people. A Thanksgiving weekend back then would see up to 50,000. Haven't been there for years and about 10 years ago I read an article that said over 250,000 were there over Thanksgiving.

I don't know if someone wrote a book about it or if by word of mouth or people just driving by looking at it. Even Robby Gordon is out there with his high flying Trophy Truck.

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 01:05 PM

Our position is set in stone. We are the last of those who venture down a 60 mile dirt road. We dont need a map. We dont make money on a book with up to the minute directions.

Not taking anything from our resident hero except the adventure he forgot exists for the people who might look down that 60 mile road when they pucker up and go.

Take a walk on the wild side

Don't forget to air down your tires :lol:

JZ - 5-6-2017 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I remember back in the early 80s we would go to the Glamis sand dunes and ride 3 wheelers. Regular weekends not many people but on holiday weekends lots of people. A Thanksgiving weekend back then would see up to 50,000. Haven't been there for years and about 10 years ago I read an article that said over 250,000 were there over Thanksgiving.

I don't know if someone wrote a book about it or if by word of mouth or people just driving by looking at it. Even Robby Gordon is out there with his high flying Trophy Truck.

That place is so big I think you are ok, except for holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkN1MX_0tw

rts551 - 5-6-2017 at 02:34 PM

The Mexico border is a factor a few of you left out which overrides any guidebook or photobook's appeal. The remote area and dirt road is another reason this area won't become Glamis or the other U.S. locations named. Don't worry, your Baja spots are safe from human destruction just as Shell Island is still great, nearly 40 years since I have told others about it. 1) Mexico, 2) No services, 3) 4WD needed are what keeps it unchanged no matter how many guides, photos, and web pages show it.

Just a question. If that is the case why are you writing a guidebook about it?

bajabuddha - 5-6-2017 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Hint: DK's original iteration of his Website was named "DavidKsBaja.com".

Which appears to have evolved into a higher purpose, check it out. ;)

:lol: That site is so raunchy even my 'puter's cookies went mouldy. :lol:

David K - 5-6-2017 at 07:12 PM

My web site was changed from DavidKsBaja to VivaBaja 15 years ago! It was originally patterned after TimsBaja.com. When Doug (BajaNomad) gave me VivaBaja.com (as I created the Viva Baja parties of 2000-2003).
History lesson over.

David K - 5-6-2017 at 07:24 PM

The Mexico border is a factor a few of you left out which overrides any guidebook or photobook's appeal. The remote area and dirt road is another reason this area won't become Glamis or the other U.S. locations named. Don't worry, your Baja spots are safe from human destruction just as Shell Island is still great, nearly 40 years since I have told others about it. 1) Mexico, 2) No services, 3) 4WD needed are what keeps it unchanged no matter how many guides, photos, and web pages show it.

I am not writing a guidebook, yet.
If or when I do it will not be to Seven Sisters, it will be to all of Baja's backcountry I can explore this year along with past trips. You guys get a preview and maybe all of it here on Nomad. I do it because I want to and my sponsor wants me to.

This post is about the new Sunbelt book on the Seven Sisters region.

mtgoat666 - 5-6-2017 at 08:41 PM

I am not writing a guidebook, yet.
If or when I do it will not be to Seven Sisters, it will be to all of Baja's backcountry I can explore this year along with past trips. You guys get a preview and maybe all of it here on Nomad. I do it because I want to and my sponsor wants me to.

This post is about the new Sunbelt book on the Seven Sisters region.

Who is your benefactor? Who is sponsoring this opening of the central Baja coast to the hoards from San Marcos, Irvine and Encinitas?

JZ - 5-6-2017 at 11:54 PM

Here's a lil tip for you all. I've been ragging on DK for almost 15 years.

Back to when SkiBaja was still alive. If you don't know who that is you should just exit this thread now.

He's not backing down, and at this point he's trolling you all to oblivion...

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by JZ]

rts551 - 5-7-2017 at 08:38 AM

He tried to make it all about "him" in the Amigos de Baja days.

monoloco - 5-7-2017 at 08:49 AM

Maybe someone needs to do a coffee table book with fotos of the Baja narco-violencia. That might thin out the crowds a bit. Nothing gets a tourist's attention like severed heads and bodies hanging from overpasses.

rts551 - 5-7-2017 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Maybe someone needs to do a coffee table book with fotos of the Baja narco-violencia. That might thin out the crowds a bit. Nothing gets a tourist's attention like severed heads and bodies hanging from overpasses.

Too many people make a living off of encouraging gringos to go to Mexico for that to happen.

monoloco - 5-7-2017 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Too many people make a living off of encouraging gringos to go to Mexico for that to happen.
Well, I can think of at least one person who might publish such a book.

woody with a view - 5-7-2017 at 12:47 PM

DK we love your 50 years of experience!

What we don't love is your "holier than thou" swagger when it comes to places you know nothing about. Do a book on the life struggle of the vagrant workers who are, basically, working for subsistence along the area that shant be named.

You always look the other way, deflect, and tell the world how it's Mexico's problem if they can't keep their HUMANS fed.

rts551 - 5-7-2017 at 01:24 PM

He tried to make it all about "him" in the Amigos de Baja days.

You just follow me around and say anything to get attention here and create hate... It is not about me. This post is about the new Seven Sisters photo book. What takes it down a different path is the distractions and sidebars having nothing to do with the new Sunbelt book.

My posts are about Baja... that I have been going to Baja for over 50 years means I have more to share and I want to give as much as I can while I still can. You all came to Baja Nomad because of what was here, well that included my posts which have always been about Baja trips and history.

Again you are making this about how great you are (or are not). I am not following you around. I responded to your comment (which I am glad I quoted because as usual you deleted it) as others did and you escalated the discussion. Many people have been going to baja for a long time. some longer than 50 years. They just do not feel the need to put themselves out on the internet constantly. I came to NOMAD and before that Fred's or Amigo's because at the time CURRENT road conditions were a premium. I soon learned to beware people who gave 5 year old data.

David K - 5-7-2017 at 01:49 PM

I delete my replies when you replay/ quote them because unlike your need to appear repeatedly in my threads, I do not.

Woody, I never have claimed to know any more about a place than I do. I only talked about the roads I was on and what I saw.

woody with a view - 5-7-2017 at 01:58 PM

Heheheheheeeee! Please place that diclamer in your guide book.

chippy - 5-7-2017 at 03:47 PM

Heheheheheeeee! Please place that diclamer in your guide book.

Funny dat:lol:!

JZ - 5-7-2017 at 04:05 PM

As I side note, I'm so damn excited to see this part of the Baja for the first time in a couple weeks. Spent about 2hours looking at it on GE last night while having a few beers.

Gonna take my truck, 3 bikes, and my 13yo and 15yo. Will bring the drone and video the chit out of it.

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2017 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
As I side note, I'm so damn excited to see this part of the Baja for the first time in a couple weeks. Spent about 2hours looking at it on GE last night while having a few beers.

Gonna take my truck, 3 bikes, and my 13yo and 15yo. Will bring the drone and video the chit out of it.

Please don't give dk ideas about videos and drones! God help us if dk ever figures out how to work the video on his phone or Camera!

chippy - 5-7-2017 at 04:12 PM

Can you say wanker?

chippy - 5-7-2017 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Sounds fun to me!

What does? Videoing the chit out of it? Maybe u wank 2?

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by chippy]

bajabuddha - 5-7-2017 at 04:45 PM

DYSLEXIC WANKERS, UNTIE !

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2017 at 06:01 PM

I would be interested in drone videos of all the point breaks. That would be cool! Just run the drone along each shoreline so we can get a view of shore, structure and camp sites.

while you are out there, why dont you drone video some of those remote ranches and make sure they are on the up and up!

woody with a view - 5-7-2017 at 06:11 PM

Well, cuz its the season of flat. So drone on!

JZ - 5-7-2017 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would be interested in drone videos of all the point breaks. That would be cool! Just run the drone along each shoreline so we can get a view of shore, structure and camp sites.

while you are out there, why dont you drone video some of those remote ranches and make sure they are on the up and up!

Naw, just riding vids.

https://youtu.be/-yAWHtJ1jik

TMW - 5-8-2017 at 10:14 AM

Bahia Blanco and Playa el Marron, two of my favorite surf fishing spots.

TMW - 5-26-2017 at 08:13 AM

I received my copy of Baja's Wild Side yesterday and it has the most fantastic pictures. Hard to put down.

Lee - 5-26-2017 at 11:31 AM

Vid some fireworks if you got some? If you got them, where did you get them? Safety first.

mtgoat666 - 5-26-2017 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I received my copy of Baja's Wild Side yesterday and it has the most fantastic pictures. Hard to put down.

The photographer's show is now at the Nat. Check it out. If you like the photos, you can buy the book at the bookstore (better to buy the book locally, better to support the Nat than to support the Amazon death star!)