BajaNomad

San Ysidro to Bola?

fishbuck - 5-13-2017 at 10:41 PM

Driving time. Straight shot. No stops. Rental car. Economy class.
How many hours?
I trying to decide if I can fly down from Seattle to San Diego and jump in a rental and be in Bola by bedtime for early fishing?
I know it won't be easy... if it's even possible.
What do you think? Crazy and unrealistic or another brilliant fishing idea from fishbuck?

fishbuck - 5-13-2017 at 10:54 PM

I found this.:coolup:

68+116+37+76+65+43
=405

[Edited on 5-14-2017 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 5-13-2017 at 11:00 PM

My gut says it is possible verging on suicidal. I'm guessing an easy 10 hours of driving maybe 9.

fishbuck - 5-13-2017 at 11:35 PM

Jul 7, 2017

From Seattle - Tacoma Intl. (SEA)
To San Diego Intl. (SAN)
Best Value Best Value flight
Alaska Airlines Alaska Airlines
6:20am
SEA
to
9:00am
SAN
2h 40m, Nonstop

Yep, it can be done. Long day but it is possible.

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2017 at 11:44 PM

8 to 9 hours

fishbuck - 5-13-2017 at 11:51 PM

Thanks goat.

Santiago - 5-14-2017 at 07:56 AM

OK, take this form a 66 year old with a larger prostate than I started with:

10-11 hours from Gecko to the wait line at the border. This includes stopping for a late breakfast, mucho roadside pit stops and one gas stop. We drive pretty slow compared to most drivers - 50-60MPH, been known to hit 70 on the straights with the yellow line in the center. The timer on the engine run-time usually says 9.5 hours.

I have 'heard' of 8 hours straight thru but at 400 miles that would require an average of 50MPH. There are a lot of spots where you are under 40, way under, so that means really screaming on the straights. I'm pretty sure all those crosses on the side of the road are some of those guys.

larryC - 5-14-2017 at 08:20 AM

I would suggest picking up your rental car and then drive east on interstate 8 to Calexico and come down Mex 5, same driving hours and better roads (except for the 22 miles of graded road) it usually takes me 9 to 10 driving hours either way I go hwy or hwy 5.

bajaguy - 5-14-2017 at 08:23 AM

If you go Hwy 1 you can stop at Parcela 12!!!

AKgringo - 5-14-2017 at 08:46 AM

Do you already have your arrangements in BOLA in place, or at least in mind?

If not, flying to Loreto instead could give you more time on the water vs on the road. The Pacific side would only be a couple of hours drive if it is too hot on the Cortez side.

It sounds like a fun thing to do, but for me, three weeks is a 'quick trip' down and back.

woody with a view - 5-14-2017 at 10:35 AM

8.5 hours. Stop for quick tacos, fuel and once to water the cactus!

David K - 5-14-2017 at 10:39 AM

San Diego to Bahía de L.A. is 8-9 hours in regular vehicle (no RV, no trailers). With stops:
8am border
10am Ensenada
1:30pm El Rosario
3pm Cataviña
5pm L.A. Bay

Using Hwy 5 via Mexicali & San Felipe is an excellent alternative as it avoids narrow mountain roads, dozens of farm towns, Ensenada city traffic, etc.

San Diego 8am
El Centro 10am
San Felipe 12:30pm
Gonzaga 2:30pm
Chapala 4pm (includes visit with Coco).
L.A. Bay 5:30pm

dtbushpilot - 5-14-2017 at 10:44 AM

Does the rental agency allow travel to MX? Insurance?

SFandH - 5-14-2017 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I use google maps to answer these types of questions. Google says 8 hours 57 minutes. I know it would take me about 30 minutes longer.

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/San+Ysidro,+San+Diego,+CA...

JZ - 5-14-2017 at 01:17 PM

Stop at Cataviña, get up early and do the final 2hrs in the AM. Would make for a much more enjoyable trip.

SFandH - 5-14-2017 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Stop at Cataviña, get up early and do the final 2hrs in the AM. Would make for a much more enjoyable trip.

Good idea JZ.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
How about time to border from SD airport?
Have you arraigned a way?

Maybe this could be something like a Nomad contest like; 'fastest transit time to paradise from where you are' ?

I live in SD and I might be willing to tag a date to join the venture and transport you to the border.

Car rental on this side or that side?

Rental car at SD airport

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

I don't know what that is but if it is food I am planning my stops. So maybe.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
OK, take this form a 66 year old with a larger prostate than I started with:

10-11 hours from Gecko to the wait line at the border. This includes stopping for a late breakfast, mucho roadside pit stops and one gas stop. We drive pretty slow compared to most drivers - 50-60MPH, been known to hit 70 on the straights with the yellow line in the center. The timer on the engine run-time usually says 9.5 hours.

I have 'heard' of 8 hours straight thru but at 400 miles that would require an average of 50MPH. There are a lot of spots where you are under 40, way under, so that means really screaming on the straights. I'm pretty sure all those crosses on the side of the road are some of those guys.

9.5 plus a few stops seems about right. Thanks.

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2017 at 01:57 PM

It's a taco stand in san quintin

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Do you already have your arrangements in BOLA in place, or at least in mind?

If not, flying to Loreto instead could give you more time on the water vs on the road. The Pacific side would only be a couple of hours drive if it is too hot on the Cortez side.

It sounds like a fun thing to do, but for me, three weeks is a 'quick trip' down and back.

Wow. I didn't think of Loreto. I love Loreto. Way less driving. Should be good Dorado and plenty hot too.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Oh yeah. I remember seeing it. Never been in. Is it paint green?

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
8.5 hours. Stop for quick tacos, fuel and once to water the cactus!

That's sounds like the record. Any faster and you get a roadside shrine.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Does the rental agency allow travel to MX? Insurance?

Yes. At the airport. Dollar. You buy the insurance there.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I was wondering about that.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 02:22 PM

Oh yeah. I remember seeing it. Never been in. Is it paint green?

I might be thinking of Muelle 30. Never been in there eitber.

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 03:20 PM

Anybody have the info for Loreto flights? I need to get from Seattle to Loreto. I don't see any nonstops. Maybe an Lax connection or Tijuana. I didn't see anything out of San Diego.
I love Bola but the drive...

AKgringo - 5-14-2017 at 03:48 PM

I just checked Alaska Airlines, they connect through LAX, with a strange schedule. No flights on Mon or Tue, $1007 on Wed, $235 the rest of the week!

fishbuck - 5-14-2017 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I just checked Alaska Airlines, they connect through LAX, with a strange schedule. No flights on Mon or Tue, $1007 on Wed, $235 the rest of the week!

Thanks I'll check it out. That might just be the ticket...:cool:

BajaMama - 5-15-2017 at 05:19 AM

Ya, Alaska Airlines out of LAX is the only Loreto flight I have ever found. Almost always necessary to stay the night at LAX on the way down, but heading north you can fly all the way home same day.

Argentino - 5-16-2017 at 09:30 AM

I once went from bola to San Bernardino in a single day, and we stopped in Ensenada for a couple hours. Definitely doable, you just have to start at first light and hope you don't get stuck behind too many slow trucks/buses on those narrow roads between Ensenada and San Quentin. Got into SB around 9 or 10 PM. Crossed the border much earlier than that though, spent a bunch of time looking for a hotel to stay the night in CA.

Alm - 5-17-2017 at 12:43 PM

How many hours?

7-8 hours for a Mexican. Have been in car with them once - it's a suicide drive. Otherwise, 10 hours.

I trying to decide if I can fly down from Seattle to San Diego and jump in a rental and be in Bola by bedtime for early fishing?

Sir, you need a charter flight straight to BOLA. Or to GN.

Not only your plan won't be easy, - it doesn't make sense to me. Landing in SAN at noon-ish, 1 hour (at least) to exit the plane, get a rental and drive to SY, then long 9-10 hours drive to BOLA. You'll be dead tired to get up early next morning, you won't enjoy long drive after early morning flight with basically sleepless night before, and you'll have to drive last few hours in the night.

Defeats the purpose, i.e. having fun.

larryC - 5-17-2017 at 12:57 PM

Parcelo 12 is a restaurant about 10 miles south of San Quentin on the east side of the road. Very good food.

Alm - 5-17-2017 at 01:15 PM

Anybody have the info for Loreto flights? I need to get from Seattle to Loreto. I don't see any nonstops.

No direct flights, have never been any.

Alaska flies out of LAX at 9.30 am, too early to catch the same day.

The only way to get to LTO same day is Aero Calafia from TIJ at 2pm twice a week. Flight out of SEA would have to be very early ~7am, i.e. sleepless night and a long day. It's still 7 hours from LTO to BOLA, i.e. 4-5 hours of night driving.

[Edited on 5-17-2017 by Alm]

fishbuck - 5-17-2017 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
How many hours?

7-8 hours for a Mexican. Have been in car with them once - it's a suicide drive. Otherwise, 10 hours.

Sir, you need a charter flight straight to BOLA. Or to GN.

Not only your plan won't be easy, - it doesn't make sense to me. Landing in SAN at noon-ish, 1 hour (at least) to exit the plane, get a rental and drive to SY, then long 9-10 hours drive to BOLA. You'll be dead tired to get up early next morning, you won't enjoy long drive after early morning flight with basically sleepless night before, and you'll have to drive last few hours in the night.

Defeats the purpose, i.e. having fun.

That's sorta what I was thinking. Doable, but not fun.

David K - 5-17-2017 at 03:38 PM

Just retire, buy a good Toyota 4x4, and be done! Have fun Mike!!

fishbuck - 5-17-2017 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just retire, buy a good Toyota 4x4, and be done! Have fun Mike!!

Now that's what I can a plan!:coolup:

Alm - 5-18-2017 at 01:54 PM

Just don't retire in BOLA.

Nice place as long as there are no emergencies of any kind. Even fixing your 4x4 (in a hurry) might not be doable if that little Samuelito's shop don't have the right part or this is beyond his limited scope of talents.

Tourists come and go, but living there permanently takes patience and realization that some things can't be done on time (or at all).

David K - 5-18-2017 at 03:23 PM

Several Nomads and non-Nomads live there part or all year. It is very hot (for most) in August and September. Last September we found it lovely, at Camp Archelon.

fishbuck - 5-18-2017 at 09:34 PM

Bola has about 3-4 months of really good fishing. That''s when I'll be there☺

Alm - 5-19-2017 at 02:41 PM

Several Nomads and non-Nomads live there part or all year. It is very hot (for most) in August and September. Last September we found it lovely, at Camp Archelon.

Part of the year. Mid-October through mid-May. Can get ridiculously hot June through September, and Aug-Sept is also humid. This is not subjective, locals feel the same only they have nowhere to go.

Groceries and hardware cost double due to remoteness (poor assortment too). When I mentioned to a local that this is "un precio de vida en Paraiso" - you should've seen a look on his face :)...

Camp Archelon is at the crossroads. Antonio's widow and very young son are in charge of the place now.

BajaMama - 5-20-2017 at 05:57 AM

I drove from San Diego to Punta Chivato in one day once. Never again. It takes away from the journey. Now I take three days from Nor Cal. One advantage of being old and semi-retired. First day East Bay to San Diego. 2nd San Diego to El Rosario. Time to get FMM stamped, the red light (I always get the red but I don't care I don't have anything sketchy or illegal and it usually only takes two minutes). Stop at Walmart in Ensenada for goodies. 3rd Day El Rosario to PC. Lots of stops, especially the onyx store for curios north of Catavina. And of course fish tacos in Jesus Maria.

David K - 5-20-2017 at 08:33 AM

The onyx store is Rancho Sonora, Km. 149...

mtgoat666 - 5-20-2017 at 08:39 AM

The onyx store is Rancho Sonora, Km. 149...

Made in China?