BajaNomad

Punta Chivato camping

belizebum - 5-15-2017 at 05:27 AM

Heading to Mulege area for the first time and was trying to find camping locations near punta Chivato. Stayed at Campo Archeleon last year in Bahia De Los Angeles and would like to find a similar place so we don't have to worry about our gear. Bringing down and inflatable and 15hp so fishing/ spearfishing access is crucial. Thanks, leaving Oregon on friday 5/19, will be in San Felipe at my parents by sat, Mulege area Monday....cannot wait!!

Russ - 5-15-2017 at 06:40 AM

Chivato camp beach is wide open. Dry camp, no water or outhouse now. Probably could launch from the beach but you'd want to pull the boat up because this is the start of some sudden wind season. There is a boat ramp also. Restaurant/ hotelito may or may not be open the new owner is still working out some issues. You probable won't like the road in towing a boat but once here it's worth it. Some reports of small yellow tail locally and some ground fish too. It the water is clear there are lots of great diving places. Have at least one VHF/marine radio. Channel 73 for contact and move to 72 for conversations.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2017 at 08:03 AM

belizebum, be advised there has been a rash of thievery in the Mulege area from Chivato all the way down to Coyote bay.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86552
Don't let it upset your apple cart, but forewarned is fore-armed. Enjoy your trip, but keep the third eye open.

David K - 5-15-2017 at 08:31 AM

In my 2017 trip report #2 are photos of two camping beaches at or near Punta Chivaro, as well as nearby Santa Ines beach and San Lucas cove RV parks. Russ took me to the Chivato spots.

Report #2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85756

[Edited on 5-15-2017 by David K]

Russ - 5-15-2017 at 10:34 AM

Google earth shot

belizebum - 5-15-2017 at 10:51 AM

Thx Russ, the VHF radio info is great advice, gonna have to work on my Spanish ;) Will definitely visit the hammerhead area, great pic. I am concerned about dry camping, leaving camp while out on the boat for the day? was wondering if there is a campo close ish so I wouldn't have to worry about my stuff?

David K - 5-15-2017 at 11:02 AM

Both sides of 'Hammerhead':

belizebum - 5-15-2017 at 11:14 AM

David, Thanks so much, incredible amount of info and great photo's!!

carlosg - 5-15-2017 at 12:35 PM

Hi belizebum...

I just love camping in PC... this thread may be of help:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80648&got...

...enjoy Baja amigo...!!!

belizebum - 5-15-2017 at 08:01 PM

Awesome info Carlosg, great photos. Don't know if we are gonna camp there or be wusses and camp down in Bahia Concepcion, less worry when out on the boat? Would love to camp at PC but will leave for hours at a time on the boat and cannot lock all up while away. Is the hotel open and do they look out for your stuff while away? thanks for the input. will make it to PC on way or the other, it is a mission :)

carlosg - 5-15-2017 at 08:16 PM

Here's some nfo for Los Naranjos in Bahia Concepción:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80637&got...

Russ - 5-15-2017 at 08:16 PM

After the rash of robberies we've had I can't say it's safe to leave you're camp unattended. If you could count on another camper being there or leave someone ashore all would be good. I don't think I'd feel good at any beach without at least a neighbor being around.

belizebum - 5-15-2017 at 08:41 PM

Hey Russ, my guess is you are a resident expert on Punta Chivato. We have only made it as far south as Bahia De Los Angeles so far in our Baja adventures. Gonna pester you or anyone else with some questions? Is the hotel open / available for showers and such, or contact info. We are tent camping and are concerned about leaving our stuff unattended, hoping the hotel might look out for our stuff if we pay them a bit? Is there a store there, hard to tell from the pics. Just looks like houses :) how far of a boat run is it from mulege? I read that fishing in Bahia Concepcion is protected...is it good to go at PC? Thanks!!!

David K - 5-15-2017 at 09:43 PM

The hotel is not near the beach. An RV park like at San Lucas Cove or in Mulegé may better fit your needs.

chuckie - 5-16-2017 at 12:28 AM

Santa Ines IS NOT a good place to camp! Even getting out of sight of your rig is an invitation to theft. The south end of Concepcion bay is worse...I speak from experience

Russ - 5-16-2017 at 05:08 AM

I am not a fan of chuckie's negativism. However in this case having a camp today away from view of others can be a mistake.
belizebum, Hotelito seems to be in a bit of turmoil this season so giving any concrete answers isn't going to possible. You could check as you drive in. Our camping beach is perfect for tent camping if there isn't a big blow. I guess that is a concern where ever you set up a tent. Mulege is only about 8 miles away by boat but in a small boat and late morning winds it is not a good idea. Closest store is Palo Verde. On a positive note... We have a strong neighborhood watch now and the three local towns are providing night patrols and since this has happened there have been no robberies. So now would be a good time to come.

belizebum - 5-16-2017 at 10:02 AM

LOL Guys, Appreciate the feedback, almost packed!!! Be down there exploring by Sat!!

chuckie - 5-16-2017 at 11:10 AM

Have a great trip...You are headed to a wonderful place!

Russ - 5-16-2017 at 11:28 AM

If it's too windy to fish from the boat walk out to the light house and try it there early or late. Sometimes the fish really go off there. This time of year anything can happen with the fish. Yesterday a friend caught some small yellow tail and had a dorado follow his lure around the north island.

belizebum - 5-16-2017 at 01:27 PM

Sweet can't wait, redoing a trailer bearing for the trip...woohoo.... been reading David K's awesome thread, is the best road in from El Palo Verde and is it 8 miles?

bajabuddha - 5-16-2017 at 01:48 PM

bb, if you're referring to the road in from Palo Verde to Chivato it's the ONLY road in other than some sandy ATV tracks. It's a long and bumpy kidney-banger, so make sure you have enough 'stuff' packed that you don't have to drive to Mulege or Sta. Rosalia very often. I believe it's 8 miles to the shore then another 3 to the dry camp, the last part of which is usually graded and not so rough.

BTW, Hotelito will be on your left as you near the camp area. Stop in and see if anyone is there, arrange your needs. Have a safe trip, WATCH YOUR STUFF. Oh, and rip some lips!

[Edited on 5-16-2017 by bajabuddha]

chuckie - 5-16-2017 at 01:52 PM

Im glad YOU said that..

belizebum - 5-16-2017 at 02:00 PM

LOL...Thanks for the kidney busting advice...both of you...taco's pescado awaits!!!

chuckie - 5-16-2017 at 02:03 PM

Confucius say " Kidney less liable to bust if bladder full of Pacifico"...

bajabuddha - 5-16-2017 at 02:05 PM

One more little tidbit not yet mentioned..... at the San Lucas Cove RV park is La Bahia restaurant, open on weekends 11-7 or 8. Wonderful food, great people. If you get a chance to dine there please tell Janine and René hello from Buddha and I sent you; you won't be disappointed. Janine is a natural artist and her food prep is almost too pretty to eat. I was their neighbor for almost 4 years.

belizebum - 5-16-2017 at 03:16 PM

Will Do Buddha...thx

msteve1014 - 5-16-2017 at 05:47 PM

Russ, Is no one camping at PC anymore ?
It has been a long time since we have been there, but we were never alone. Always at least a few camps to look out for each other.

Sometimes way too many.

Russ - 5-16-2017 at 07:52 PM

Sometimes it's a ghost town but maybe this time of year there may be a couple of others. Last week I was told there was only one tent camper. And Easter I was told it was 3 deep. As the traditional fishing season comes in there may be some diehard fishermen. And of course the warm water in, I hope, a couple more weeks will be inviting.

mtnpop - 5-16-2017 at 09:28 PM

well, if you are determined to go to PC I might be persuaded to let you camp on our gated rock walled lot down from the community center... has a covered slab and bano but the keys to the bano are with me in Colorado... water can be turned on to the lot...
I expect that the property needs a lot of weed mitigation that could be payment for using the lot... can't miss it corner lot down from the community center and one row back from the beach...
We had several folks use it this last winter.... A little more secure than open beach camping...
just let us know if becomes an option....
Have fun.... great place to catch some fantastic sunrises......

Russ - 5-17-2017 at 01:15 PM

Today, lots of bait in close. They're anchovy pinheads so nothing of any size under them... yet. Water warmed up a few degrees. We tried to fish the bait balls from shore but no bites.

belizebum - 5-17-2017 at 11:11 PM

Thanks mtnpop, that is very generous. I'll shoot you a u2u for a bit more info. Russ, thanks for the fishing update. We are definitely going to hit that area and see if it will work for us camping. Gonna be brutal hot...103? ouch Is it 103 feels like 92 because of the sea and breeze or is it 103 feels like 110 because it is practically desert :)

Russ - 5-18-2017 at 04:10 AM

Sea breeze makes a huge difference. Once in awhile we'll get the dry desert wind and it'll cook here. 59º now and yesterday's high was around 75º.

Hook - 5-18-2017 at 05:45 AM

One thing is almost certain about the PC beach camping area. Practice your best "stingray shuffle" when entering the water, especially on the NW side of the hammerhead. Even outside the spawn period, it is one of the thickest concentrations of rays I have ever seen. Still, the beach is worth it. Easy to swim over them.

bajabuddha - 5-18-2017 at 05:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
One thing is almost certain about the PC beach camping area. Practice your best "stingray shuffle" when entering the water, especially on the NW side of the hammerhead. Even outside the spawn period, it is one of the thickest concentrations of rays I have ever seen. Still, the beach is worth it. Easy to swim over them.

Double ditto with San Lucas Cove if you stop there. I use a 'ray stick' to tap the sand in front of me when I walk in the shallows... usually a length of cardon or 1/2" PVC.

belizebum - 5-18-2017 at 12:56 PM

great advice!! got popped by one commercial diving. Ate a hole in my calf the size of quarter...thx for the tips gents...keep em coming :)

BigBearRider - 5-18-2017 at 01:31 PM

Before Hurricane Newton there were lots of stingrays in front of our house. Lots.

They all disappeared after Newton.

A couple of weeks ago, I was kayaking over areas previously littered with stingrays, and only saw two. That is two more than six months ago, but maybe 10 less than a year ago.

I've seen campers next to the rocks past the last house on the beach north of the hammerhead several times. It seems like a nice place, perhaps offering some protection from the winds.

The week after Semana Santa, there were a few stragglers on the camping beach, and some in the area described above.

belizebum - 5-19-2017 at 02:55 AM

Thx bear, have been trying to pinpoint the camping beach, and out of the wind would be nice...plan on kayaking while we are there...have a couple of decent inflatable kayaks for messing about.

belizebum - 5-19-2017 at 03:09 AM

Was trying to find the water temps to see if I can leave my cold water wetsuit at home and found a weather station in PC. Very cool...appreciate the data!!

Russ - 5-19-2017 at 05:13 AM

72º to 74º Hoping for warmer waters soon.

belizebum - 5-19-2017 at 05:24 AM

Saw that, only gonna bring the 3 mil :) I live in Oregon...that is bath water...even on the ocean off Amelia Island, FL 74 is crazy hot...cannot wait...I read about cobia in the area...my favorite fish to spear...they are prehistorically tough...you catch them there Russ?

Russ - 5-19-2017 at 05:43 AM

Nope, No cobia but a large yellow tail might give you a thrill.

belizebum - 5-19-2017 at 10:42 AM

I would be happy with a nice little sea bass for dinner :)

BajaMama - 5-20-2017 at 06:12 AM

I leave for PC tomorrow! Can't wait. Dad says lots of bird/bait action out front. Wish water was a tad warmer but I think I can handle it for snorkeling. Have PC peeps been seeing whale sharks?