BajaNomad

Dirt Road Etiquette

El Jefe - 5-19-2017 at 11:10 AM

Been thinking about a list for the past several years. After living down a dirt road for 12 years I think it is about time. Some folks just don't seem to know how to act. So here are some "rules of the dirt road" that I would like to see people at least think about.

1. Wave hi to folks you pass. Just kind of a nice thing to do and it feels good.
2. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.
3. When you come upon a pedestrian, or bicyclist slow way, way down so you don't dust 'em. Just common courtesy.
4. When somebody faster comes up behind you, pull over and let them pass.
5. Watch those blind corners. There really might be someone just around the bend or over the rise even though nobody has been by in an hour.
6. If you have 4X4 use it. It is much easier on the road surface and your vehicle will track much better.
7. Again slow the heck down through the little village, or by the rancho. Who knows what might jump out and your dust is not necessary either.
8. Go ahead and pop a cold one if you must, but keep your cans.

Can't think of any more right now but I'm sure there will follow more suggestions. Have fun out there Amigos!

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by El Jefe]

pacsur - 5-19-2017 at 11:36 AM

If I might add, if you like driving slow, or don't have a vehicle that can handle the bumps, please keep checking your rear view mirror so that others can pass safely.

DanO - 5-19-2017 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  

5. Watch those blind corners. There really might be someone just around the bend or over the rise even though nobody has been by in an hour.

Yeah, including somebody with hooves.

willardguy - 5-19-2017 at 12:08 PM

fill in as many of those washboards as you can so your friends behind you don't have flat beers :P

Udo - 5-19-2017 at 12:21 PM

Dust on the road means someone's house will get dirty. If the house were yours...would you still drive fast?

I am installing large rope topes in from of our place in Ensenada. It appears that speed limit signs don't apply to drivers in my vicinity.

El Jefe - 5-19-2017 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
fill in as many of those washboards as you can so your friends behind you don't have flat beers :P

Qualifies as item #9 on list. How could I have forgotten to mention this?

El Jefe - 5-19-2017 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
If I might add, if you like driving slow, or don't have a vehicle that can handle the bumps, please keep checking your rear view mirror so that others can pass safely.

Yes indeed! (see #4) Sometimes I wish cars had bumper bars like the race rigs do. I just want to get home before my ice melts and some yahoo in front of me is going just fast enough to make dust, but slow enough to drive me crazy because I know every bump and turn in the road and just want to move along, and he won't move over and and and......:fire:

Russ - 5-19-2017 at 05:49 PM

What El Jefe said x2

Yes indeed! (see #4) Sometimes I wish cars had bumper bars like the race rigs do. I just want to get home before my ice melts and some yahoo in front of me is going just fast enough to make dust, but slow enough to drive me crazy because I know every bump and turn in the road and just want to move along, and he won't move over and and and......:fire:

blackwolfmt - 5-19-2017 at 07:33 PM

one of these will solve all your probs RUSS;)

Bryce-Menzies21.jpg - 184kB

mtgoat666 - 5-19-2017 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Dust on the road means someone's house will get dirty. If the house were yours...would you still drive fast?

I am installing large rope topes in from of our place in Ensenada. It appears that speed limit signs don't apply to drivers in my vicinity.

Those thick rope topes work great!
I suggest putting the topes at 50-ft spacing, the jerks will rapidly accelerate between topes if you give them a chance.

BajaMama - 5-20-2017 at 05:31 AM

I get tee'd off when people don't slow down as they approach from the opposite direction. It's all about the dust people!! BTW a rope tope is a ro-pay!!

Udo - 5-20-2017 at 07:54 AM

I will be installing 5 ropays 50 (or so) feet apart. One of my neighbors wanted some also, so I got enough extra rope to make ro-pays.

El Jefe - 5-20-2017 at 09:31 AM

The fishermen launch their pangas from the beach in front of our little compound. We are used to them coming and going at all hours. A neighbor up and around the block installed a new concrete tope a few weeks ago. Soon thereafter at about 1 AM he heard a cacophony outside his window. Several men had emerged from a small sedan and were all giving instructions to the driver about how to negotiate the high hump. Once they got the little car over with just a small amount of scraping, they all had to take a wiz. And of course there was more discussion of whatever was on their minds. At last they opened a few more beers and were on their way.

A good lesson in unintended consequences.

Udo - 5-20-2017 at 09:57 AM

:biggrin:

Paco Facullo - 5-20-2017 at 12:01 PM

Always make sure it is extremely clean first .

Oh , and always use plenty of lube and go very slow at fist. Ur first ?

wait....... what dirt road WE talkin bout ?.??

[Edited on 5-20-2017 by Paco Facullo]

mtgoat666 - 5-20-2017 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I will be installing 5 ropays 50 (or so) feet apart. One of my neighbors wanted some also, so I got enough extra rope to make ro-pays.

Topes for one, topes for all!

"Ropes?" I prefer the term "sleeping policeman."

Ateo - 5-21-2017 at 10:38 AM

Don't forget some good Baja desert music and roll the windows down, but be prepared to roll them up quickly if you have to slow down. This will prevent a ton of dust from entering the cabin of your vehicle......ah but who cares right? That can be cleaned later!!!!

Martyman - 5-22-2017 at 11:04 AM

My neighbor in the states put in a speedbump just past his driveway. Was not appreciated!

bajabuddha - 5-24-2017 at 01:06 PM

Here's another 'etiquette' rule of thumb I noticed on the Crossover Road thread.... when you come face to face on a narrow grade with another vehicle, who backs up? I've always heard the downhill traffic has the right-of-way as a rule, the uphill headed vehicle must back up... depending on who's hauling what. Convenience and COMMON COURTESY rules the roost to me.

john68 - 5-24-2017 at 04:49 PM

Common courtesy, really.

Thanks for posting, El Jefe.

John

BajaTed - 5-24-2017 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Here's another 'etiquette' rule of thumb I noticed on the Crossover Road thread.... when you come face to face on a narrow grade with another vehicle, who backs up? I've always heard the downhill traffic has the right-of-way as a rule, the uphill headed vehicle must back up... depending on who's hauling what. Convenience and COMMON COURTESY rules the roost to me.

Wow, I was always told uphill traffic has the right of way due to clutching a load going uphill after stopping don't always turn out right. The truck headed uphill not having to stop is the goal of the situation.

bajabuddha - 5-24-2017 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Wow, I was always told uphill traffic has the right of way due to clutching a load going uphill after stopping don't always turn out right. The truck headed uphill not having to stop is the goal of the situation.

Hmmm, interesting. To me the common sense is, it's easier to back up downhill than uphill, especially with a load on. However, again the common sense applies to who has the easier ability to back up due to load and convenience of terrain. Interesting debatable situations, que no?

El Jefe - 5-26-2017 at 06:31 AM

"When 2 vehicles meet on a steep road where neither vehicle can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right-of-way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing up the hill."

The above is from California Driver's handbook DMV. This is what I remember being taught. Think trying to back down a hill where the road drops off out of sight.

In reality, the closer one to a wide spot should consider backing.

PaulW - 5-26-2017 at 06:58 AM

Correct, but it caused a lot of issues when the two drivers do not get together and decide which was is the safest one to back up. Trail etiquette requires both drivers to participate.

bajabuddha - 5-26-2017 at 07:17 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks, Jefe.

weebray - 5-26-2017 at 06:35 PM

Actually, Jefe is equivocado y buddah is correctamundo. This fall my neighbor in remote Calif. was going up a muddy road to his house when he saw a jacked pickup barreling toward him. He stopped. The truck ran into him. Law actually sez uphill traffic yields. Result: his insurance co. had to pay. He was a little upset. Go figure!

weebray - 5-26-2017 at 06:58 PM

I would like to add my 2C to the speed bump discussion. For many reasons they are a bad idea. Not the least of which is the very real possibility of damage to emergency vehicles. Not only damage but a significant reduction of response time. Emergency vehicles, especially fire trucks are VERY heavy and have to slow to a crawl to avoid suspension and axel damage. In the 90's Berkeley installed a bunch of s-bumps. Most of them were removed shortly thereafter Due to slow response times. There are other problems with them but I don't want to bore you.

Maderita - 5-26-2017 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Hmmm, interesting. To me the common sense is, it's easier to back up downhill than uphill, especially with a load on. However, again the common sense applies to who has the easier ability to back up due to load and convenience of terrain. Interesting debatable situations, que no?

The logic that I read is that it is safer to reverse up the hill. One good reason is that drum brakes have poor stopping power in reverse.

weebray - 5-27-2017 at 07:17 AM

Actually, if you think about it, it is much easier for the uphill traffic to back down. There are any number of scenarios where a rear wheel vehicle, going downhill, physically could not back up. Additionally, in California anyway, it's the law.

[Edited on 5-27-2017 by weebray]

chippy - 5-27-2017 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Actually, Jefe is equivocado y buddah is correctamundo. This fall my neighbor in remote Calif. was going up a muddy road to his house when he saw a jacked pickup barreling toward him. He stopped. The truck ran into him. Law actually sez uphill traffic yields. Result: his insurance co. had to pay. He was a little upset. Go figure!

No you are equivocado and Jefe is right. Google is your friend:P

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2017 at 07:53 AM

I would like to add my 2C to the speed bump discussion. For many reasons they are a bad idea. Not the least of which is the very real possibility of damage to emergency vehicles. Not only damage but a significant reduction of response time. Emergency vehicles, especially fire trucks are VERY heavy and have to slow to a crawl to avoid suspension and axel damage. In the 90's Berkeley installed a bunch of s-bumps. Most of them were removed shortly thereafter Due to slow response times. There are other problems with them but I don't want to bore you.

And the emergency response times would be even shorter if we all lived in hospitals!

I'm not really aware of their being any prompt emergency services in baja, so slowing of nonexistent fire trucks by speed bumps in baja seems to be a silly argument against speed bumps.

Sometimes quality of life and pedestrian safety in a neighborhood are more important than a minute or 2 of emergency response time.
If you are worried about ER response time, you should move to an apt or house next to the fire station, eh?

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Correct, but it caused a lot of issues when the two drivers do not get together and decide which was is the safest one to back up. Trail etiquette requires both drivers to participate.

I have found most passer-bys on remote dirt roads to be pretty polite, and logical solution often arrived at wordlessly with just a friendly wave of one letting the other go first.
The only problems I have found is meeting knuckle draggers that are using remote roads as A race course, and the faster they drive the bigger jerks they are. These same people rarely slow to avoid dust storms as they pass pedestrians, houses, cars, etc.

BajaTed - 5-27-2017 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

How strange, in view of El Jefe's quote from the DMV manual. You happen to have any reference to the actual law involved in that case? :?:

They probably paid due to reckless driving, not the uphill urban legend thing

Again the goal is to not to have any one stop, the downhill truck is responsible for a safe PASS, his speed can be modulated easier.

Imagine every one coming to a stop on a level road when passing.

surfhat - 5-28-2017 at 11:29 AM

My decades on the East Cape driving into town and back always dictated crawling through the shotgun roads villages, to prevent dust for the inhabitants.

That went for meeting other vehicles on the coast road, where I would slow to a crawl when passing other vehicles as a sign of mutual respect and not dusting them.

It was always appreciated, whether it was locals or not. The personal cost was minimal in the end and the respect for others was a reward onto itself.

This should be something we all should observe when bumping along a washboard road. We are all in the same boat. after all, when off the pavement.

weebray - 5-28-2017 at 05:05 PM

Not sure what the DMV sez. don't care either. I DO know that my friend was run into by a truck coming down hill too fast on a one lane road with no shoulder. (read no possible place to pass) He stopped and the truck skidded into him. Police were miles/hours away. They both drove away. The insurance companies involved named him as responsible party and his insurance co. had to pay. He was livid. I know that road very well and there is absolutely no way an unloaded two wheel p/u could back up that hill - sorry ain't happening. Yu guys can bat this ping pong ball all you want, all I can do is report what I know. I don't have a pony in this race.

bajatrailrider - 5-28-2017 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have found most passer-bys on remote dirt roads to be pretty polite, and logical solution often arrived at wordlessly with just a friendly wave of one letting the other go first.
The only problems I have found is meeting knuckle draggers that are using remote roads as A race course, and the faster they drive the bigger jerks they are. These same people rarely slow to avoid dust storms as they pass pedestrians, houses, cars, etc.

Lets see now the only Knuckle dragger form San Diego is you looser Mt66. You where offered 10 grand cash to show us what a Man you are. You declined little sissy so anything you post is pure BS. Your the whip blow hard the offer still good 10 grand. Dont hide behind under the table get out ride a dirt bike . Baja is not the place for looser from San Diego stay home. Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2017 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Lets see now the only Knuckle dragger form San Diego is you looser Mt66. You where offered 10 grand cash to show us what a Man you are. You declined little sissy so anything you post is pure BS. Your the whip blow hard the offer still good 10 grand. Dont hide behind under the table get out ride a dirt bike . Baja is not the place for looser from San Diego stay home. Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:

so where is the money? I told you to show me the money, put it in a reliable "escrow," and I will come down to kick your wimpy a$$ :lol::lol::lol::lol: :P:P:P:P:P

motoged - 5-28-2017 at 10:12 PM

...... Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:

If your spelling and grammar were a bit more together, you might have a point.....however....:rolleyes:

Goat attacks us off-roaders and calls us knuckledraggers....as I know that is sometimes true, I don't get into that battle with him.

And as I know I am not one, I don't take offense.

bajadogs - 5-28-2017 at 11:43 PM

Good topic. Either you are empathetic to locals, pedestrians, environment, other drivers, or you are not. I don't like having dust and glory kicked into my face so I don't do that to others. Vigilant pacifism.

bajatrailrider - 5-29-2017 at 09:00 AM

so where is the money? I told you to show me the money, put it in a reliable "escrow," and I will come down to kick your wimpy a$$ :lol::lol::lol::lol: :P:P:P:P:P
When you backed out of 10 grand offer . You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS. Just a wrinkled up old fart that is envious of anyone that rides a dirt bike.Poor old tourist looser I dont take offense from your brainless posts. Just one day when your on a dirt road. Stuck in the sand because your too stupid to drive a truck. You may have us dig you out,but not before we remind you.What low life you are.;D

motoged - 5-29-2017 at 10:22 AM

When you backed out of 10 grand offer . You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS. Just a wrinkled up old fart that is envious of anyone that rides a dirt bike.Poor old tourist looser I dont take offense from your brainless posts. Just one day when your on a dirt road. Stuck in the sand because your too stupid to drive a truck. You may have us dig you out,but not before we remind you.What low life you are.;D

Again, a few corrections:

1) "You're": an abbreviation of "you are"
"Your" : indicating possession;

2) "You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS."
a) Incomplete/run-on sentence;
b) You do not speak for all Nomads

I am curious as to what is really fueling your personal attacks. :?:

motoged - 5-29-2017 at 12:54 PM

Knuckles are okay....but my dad used to accuse me of dragging my "burro"....don't think you want pics of that...:biggrin:

TMW - 5-29-2017 at 01:58 PM

I heard Goat just bought this bike for a trip to Cabo.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2017 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

At least I bought American!
You people that ride foreign-made bikes are traitors! (I'm talking about you bajatrailfool)

weebray - 5-29-2017 at 04:28 PM

When you backed out of 10 grand offer . You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS. Just a wrinkled up old fart that is envious of anyone that rides a dirt bike.Poor old tourist looser I dont take offense from your brainless posts. Just one day when your on a dirt road. Stuck in the sand because your too stupid to drive a truck. You may have us dig you out,but not before we remind you.What low life you are.;D [/rquote]
Have you ever considered anger management classes?

Ged is a gentleman!

AKgringo - 5-29-2017 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

And as I know I am not one, I don't take offense.

So you allege. Where's the proof? (Knuckle pictures, of course). :lol:

I am here to confirm that after following Ged and Dave around for a couple of days over thanksgiving, no knuckles were dragged, no terrain damaged, and no fellow travelers or residents were offended!

He even drinks tequila shots with his pinky finger raised. That's classy!

SFandH - 5-29-2017 at 05:18 PM

Poor old tourist looser .......

If you are going to call people names, at least you should spell the name correctly, otherwise folks might think you're a loser.

Just having fun, lots of people spell that wrong.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2017 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If you are going to call people names, at least you should spell the name correctly,...

We are talking about knuckledraggers, you should lower your literacy expectations :lol:

LancairDriver - 5-29-2017 at 09:12 PM

Any offer of cash for a bet or other challenge should put the cash offer in escrow if it is a legitimate offer. This will prove money talks and bs walks.

willardguy - 5-29-2017 at 09:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If you are going to call people names, at least you should spell the name correctly,...

We are talking about knuckledraggers, you should lower your literacy expectations :lol:

Larry brings immense local knowledge to the offroad forum...what do you bring?

motoged - 5-29-2017 at 11:49 PM

I will bring some Tecates if you tell us who Larry is :lol:

chuckie - 5-30-2017 at 01:37 AM

When GED promises beer, get it in escrow...

motoged - 5-30-2017 at 10:09 AM

Chuck,
It's in the fridge....ya missed me this winter....

At least my promise gives you something to look forward to....;)

chuckie - 5-30-2017 at 10:27 AM

It does...One of these days we'll git er dun...

bajatrailrider - 6-1-2017 at 07:20 AM

When you backed out of 10 grand offer . You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS. Just a wrinkled up old fart that is envious of anyone that rides a dirt bike.Poor old tourist looser I dont take offense from your brainless posts. Just one day when your on a dirt road. Stuck in the sand because your too stupid to drive a truck. You may have us dig you out,but not before we remind you.What low life you are.;D [/rquote]
Have you ever considered anger management classes?
If your backing up Low Life MT then your the same like it or leave it.:?:

bajatrailrider - 6-1-2017 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Any offer of cash for a bet or other challenge should put the cash offer in escrow if it is a legitimate offer. This will prove money talks and bs walks.
You Know this Gutter trash Mt just posts garbage. Why dont you come here and hold the cash . Then maybe the scared MT gutter trash will come out of hiding.:?:

bajatrailrider - 6-1-2017 at 07:28 AM

I will bring some Tecates if you tell us who Larry is :lol:
I will bring you the beers what do you need to know. Just saying we did not move to Baja. To hear MT gutter trash tourist tell us what to do.:)

bajatrailrider - 6-1-2017 at 07:32 AM

Again, a few corrections:

1) "You're": an abbreviation of "you are"
"Your" : indicating possession;

2) "You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS."
a) Incomplete/run-on sentence;
b) You do not speak for all Nomads

What fuels my personal attracts is when Mt starts his BS dont worry about spelling as long as MT looser get his BP up my job done.:)

motoged - 6-1-2017 at 08:16 AM

What fuels my personal attracts is when Mt starts his BS dont worry about spelling as long as MT looser get his BP up my job done.:)

"my personal attracts " ???

Oh, that explains it.....a little spat you two are having....cute :biggrin:

shari - 6-1-2017 at 08:23 AM

all this talk about topes...rope or otherwise...you need to get permission from the municiple policia to install them....ya cant just stick a topes on a public road whenever you want.

willardguy - 6-1-2017 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
all this talk about topes...rope or otherwise...you need to get permission from the municiple policia to install them....ya cant just stick a topes on a public road whenever you want.

what if you adopt the highway, like Kramer widening the lanes? :tumble:

Lee - 6-1-2017 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Not the way it works in Pescadero shari. Never heard of that -- the policia might be different here?

Franco - 6-15-2017 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

:lol:
Off topic, but a pretty cool looking piece of rolling lumber. The wood probably dampens a great deal of the vibration.

Back in the 60s a group of farmers made an aircraft frame of 2X4 lumber and inserted a straight 6 cylinder engine. Actually tried to fly it off the edge of Tawatinaw Valley, Alberta. Winters are too long and the beer supply too abundant.

norte - 6-16-2017 at 08:50 AM

Boy, going through this series of postings its not hard to figure out there are more than a few characters here. Some need an evaluation.