BajaNomad

Flowerescence

bajabuddha - 5-22-2017 at 02:36 PM

Had the coolest experience last night; took a night-time stroll in my yard with my black-light flashlight to look for critters, and got quite a surprise. The upper Chihuahuan desert is in full bloom right now, and I have lots of indigenous stuff growing. I found when I shone the beam on 8' yucca stalks tilting over with so much bloom that the flowers glowed a cool off-white iridescence, and all my Bird of Paradise bushes are full of bloom, and just the base of the flowers really lit up bigtime. I'm posting this for those who have a light and some blooms close by. It was quite a nice surprise! Makes me wonder if there's a correlation to pollination and the bugs who do it. Take a look-see for yourselves, may be worth the effort. I'm going back out tonight just for fun and look at more 'stuff'. :coolup:

Howard - 5-22-2017 at 02:39 PM

Without pictures it only exists in your mind. :biggrin:

Pictures please.

bajabuddha - 5-22-2017 at 02:45 PM

wull geez, I guess i'll have to take some flash pics of it. Think it'll still show up? ;)

...BTW, i'm hoping for some feedback from folks who own a black-light gizmo to see if Baja flora glows. It's purty neat to see. :yes:

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by bajabuddha]

vandy - 5-22-2017 at 07:11 PM

Cool! A new use for my scorpion light.
Thanks.
Here's an article with pics and technique I found.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultur...

Not to be confused with people who use cut flowers and added UV dyes.

bajabuddha - 5-22-2017 at 08:43 PM

I just got in from a second look, and what a rush... flowers on the yuccas were a deeper mauve-color, but still iridescent. The paradise bushes were even more vibrant, and when I went to my nopal patches the flowers were all gone so I couldn't tell if they were glowing, however... the 'eat-marks' from critters glowed well on the pads, and all of a sudden, I was inundated by... moths! Had over half a dozen big hummingbird(?) moths aggressively flying into me and my light, which tells me they are attracted to the black-light.

The Paradise bush flowers were even more vibrant and differing colors. Sowwy Howard, I tried to photograph them but holding the flashlight and the camera just didn't cut it, no luck. Didn't turn out at all. You'll just have to order a light and do it yerself, lucky you. Plus having behemoth flying things buzzing my head didn't help matters any, so those who own a bug lite GO FOR IT. Tew Kewl!

bajabuddha - 5-22-2017 at 08:48 PM

Also Vandy, The subtle colors in the flowers were very noticeable like your website article. Not quite as distinct as the pics on google, but I think photo enhancing would bring them out even more. You HAVE to see it to believe it. Scorpions are too cool also; I have a couple of cadavers that are over 5 years old and still glow like crazy in the dark when illuminated, fun to watch people's faces when they see the detail of 'em. Solid glow, and expect 'em to crawl away, but alas no more. The flowers however have a multi-facet of colors and hues. I wish you well in your new endeavors.

bb. :cool:

Howard - 5-22-2017 at 08:57 PM

No pictures? Your description of the evening reminds me of some evenings back in the 70s that might of been chemically enhanced.
What is the possibility of you having some type of flashback and this really is all not real?

Just joking with you, enjoy your times in the garden. Chauncy Gardner would be proud of you!
:biggrin:

bajabuddha - 5-22-2017 at 09:21 PM

Hey, a li'l Bruce Banner doesn't hurt any, right? I notice yer parrot is smokin' a little too, and... I can still type! :lol:

[Edited on 5-23-2017 by bajabuddha]

DavidT - 5-22-2017 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Chauncy Gardner would be proud of you!
:biggrin:

I'd vote for him again.

BajaBlanca - 5-23-2017 at 05:53 AM

I need a black-night flashlight!!!!

bajabuddha - 5-23-2017 at 09:13 AM

Here 'tis:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_21?url=search-alia...

vandy - 5-23-2017 at 09:50 PM

Something else to look for with your UV flashlight:

Ultraviolet Glow: the $5 bill glows blue; the $10 bill glows orange, the $20 bill glows green, the $50 bill glows yellow, and the $100 bill glows red – if they are authentic!

yumawill - 5-24-2017 at 09:12 AM

Many Desert plants are pollinated by moths at night. Some Botanists think that's why they florese. Mothes flying during daylight hours are quickly eaten by birds. I just wish that I could see Scorpions at night without the flashlight.

bajabuddha - 5-24-2017 at 12:13 PM

Here are a few pics taken last night. First is a yucca stalk:

this is a Bird of Paradise Bush (not tree):

Not the best of quality, hand held camera and light as well. Noticed the colors are on the wane now as the blooms are falling. Still quite the show in person though.

[Edited on 5-24-2017 by bajabuddha]