BajaNomad

caretaker needed

baja43 - 5-23-2017 at 10:22 AM

We have a four family camp out at the beach from Colonet and need a full-time caretaker to live in the house we provide. There is very little work to be done, but full time residence is required, as the four families are only there for vacation purposes. We provide the solar-powered house, water, propane, basic furniture/appliances and sat TV. Pay is $300 per month. Anyone have a suggestion or recommendation?

SFandH - 5-23-2017 at 10:32 AM

Sounds like a great deal for a retired bajanomad on a tight budget with an old longboard. Perhaps speak with the guy who runs the Talk Baja facebook page. He lives in the San Quintin area and knows lots of people. Somebody here can provide contact info.

See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

baja43 - 5-23-2017 at 10:42 AM

Thank you. The first person I contacted about this job was Ron and he immediately responded, saying he would check with folks he knows in the area.

Bill Steele is Developing a Property in Colonet

GypsyJan - 5-23-2017 at 12:38 PM

He has been in Baja for more than thirty years. He would be a good person to talk to.

baja43 - 5-23-2017 at 01:38 PM

Thank you....Bill and Bertha are neighbors and close friends and are trying to help us find someone as good as their caretaker, Ricardo. Any more suggestions, as that one was spot on.

BajaTed - 5-23-2017 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
He has been in Baja for more than thirty years. He would be a good person to talk to.

Bill used to live in Bajamar also a long time ago. Nice to hear about him

Retired Professional...

beenalloverMX - 5-24-2017 at 04:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja43  
We have a four family camp out at the beach from Colonet and need a full-time caretaker to live in the house we provide. There is very little work to be done, but full time residence is required, as the four families are only there for vacation purposes. We provide the solar-powered house, water, propane, basic furniture/appliances and sat TV. Pay is $300 per month. Anyone have a suggestion or recommendation?

Possibly interested, human services retired professional. But not at $300, you're too far from border which increases my expenses. Also, question if post is even legit, you provide no contact info.

ligui - 5-24-2017 at 04:55 AM

Being paid to stay at someone's house in baja . Don't think you'll see that come around to often .

300 a month sounds very fair .

chuckie - 5-24-2017 at 07:00 AM

Whoa!

ehall - 5-24-2017 at 07:01 AM

Lol. wish I was retired. I would take it and tell him to keep the $300.

chuckie - 5-24-2017 at 08:02 AM

Based on his comment and his other post, Mr. 'beenallover mx" sounds like he never left Milwaukee

baja43 - 5-24-2017 at 08:09 AM

He has been U2Ued. Job is not right for everybody. You have to love the solitary nature of an off grid camp and a very non-hectic lifestyle.

JoeJustJoe - 5-24-2017 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
Being paid to stay at someone's house in baja . Don't think you'll see that come around to often .

300 a month sounds very fair .

Then you should take the job.

It's a slave wage anyway you look at it, and that's probably why Baja43 is here, because nobody is taking the offer in possible ads he has placed.

With four families that comes out to $75 dollars a family for one month of security for watching your house!

And what happens to the "caretaker" when one of the four families decides to come take a little vacation at their Baja home?

When I first read this thread, I though it was a help wanted thread for a "caretaker" for something serious like a medical condition, which would be a worthy thread, but it turns out this thread is about looking for a working house sitter who will accept slave wages.

And of course many Baja ex-pats think it's a great deal!

[Edited on 5-24-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

baja43 - 5-24-2017 at 01:32 PM

Thank you Bob and Susan for your informed comments. Some folks respond without any knowledge, just uninformed opinions.

ligui - 5-24-2017 at 06:02 PM

Hey joejustjoe , why don't you just get a grip . I still think it's fair for just watching a house in baja . Guess you just have so much money and free time .

I have friends that make only 300 a month for hard work in the construction industry and fishermen that make 10 bucks a day . That's mexico havn't you been watching what goes on ?

Luckyweliveinavan - 10-13-2017 at 08:27 AM

Hey OP!
This sounds like a job my wife and I would be interested in.
Shoot us an email and let's talk. Luckyweliveinavan@gmail.com
Cheers :cool:

BajaTed - 10-13-2017 at 02:24 PM

You best make arrangement$ with the locals to $mooth the way for the "caretaker".
Taking a job is the same as stealing a horse 150 yrs ago

BajaBlanca - 10-13-2017 at 09:09 PM

Let me ask around - someone in town might be interested. Do you speak Spanish?

baja43 - 10-14-2017 at 01:25 PM

Our caretaker family moved in on July 3rd....Damien, Yvonne and Angel (3 year old son). We all love them and they love the house, environment, lifestyle and the 300% increase in their income. He worked six 10 hour days in the fields for $9/day and paid rent ( for a shack) and all other expenses. They now have a nice house, no expenses, make lots of extra money working for us and our local friends. They treat our compound as if it was their own and are proud of every task they handle. Damien's meticulous and enthusiastic work ethic, Yvonne's nurturing motherly nature and Angel's laughing squeals while he races around with the camp dogs makes this camp the best it's been in 25 years. It's the best win-win I've been part of in along time. Just thought I'd share that info, cuz it's so positive and we never get enough of that.

TMW - 10-14-2017 at 01:37 PM

So glad you found someone. It does appear to be a win-win for all around.

Thanks for sharing.

BajaBlanca - 10-15-2017 at 08:22 AM

That is a wonderful ending! Here's to many years of their being there!