BajaNomad

Sentri Card yanked at San Ysidro

kboy24 - 5-27-2017 at 03:10 PM

Coming home this AM from our casa at Corona Beach we were pulled into secondary and they took my card and said to wait at least 7 days and call either Sentri office and see what they say about giving it back or not. I was outraged after 12 years of this sentri use and now this nonsense. They couldn't tell me anything. I have no idea what I did. I did buy a car 6 weeks ago and I registered it with them and it is still pending review. I am 65 years old and disabled with no criminal history. I got a 502 in January of 1981 and I got a Marijuana license a month ago per my Dr. to try on my Psoriasis but I haven't used it yet. ANy ideas? This peees me off. Wait 7 days, what a bunch of BS. Without my sentri I'll sell mi casa. I'm not about to wait in those lines. I've been going down for 55+ years. Any Ideas guys??

Not as harsh

John M - 5-27-2017 at 03:27 PM

On one of our first few trips with SENTRI - we have just gotten it maybe a year ago, we pulled up to the booth at Mexicali West.

I'd have to imagine that the CBP Officer has your vehicle exit (entry?) record on his screen so he knew it was our second trip with it.

I had taken our front license plate off while installing some driving lights and simply was too lazy to put the plate back on.

Soon as I handed him our SENTRIs, he remarked to me that he had every right to take our cards from us as we were not following the rules by not having the front plate. I would consider it a stern lecture, and one I heeded. At the time he said something to the effect that I could loose all SENTRI privileges over this or any other infraction of the rules.

He wasn't being a jerk but was very firm.

John M

SFandH - 5-27-2017 at 03:37 PM

kboy24, I bet it's something to do with your new car.

The following webpage lists contact info for an Ombudsman:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1150/~/trusted-...

This is at the bottom of the page:

"* Please be advised that a response from the Ombudsman may take months." :(

[Edited on 5-27-2017 by SFandH]

willardguy - 5-27-2017 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kboy24  
Coming home this AM from our casa at Corona Beach we were pulled into secondary and they took my card and said to wait at least 7 days and call either Sentri office and see what they say about giving it back or not. I was outraged after 12 years of this sentri use and now this nonsense. They couldn't tell me anything. I have no idea what I did. I did buy a car 6 weeks ago and I registered it with them and it is still pending review. I am 65 years old and disabled with no criminal history. I got a 502 in January of 1981 and I got a Marijuana license a month ago per my Dr. to try on my Psoriasis but I haven't used it yet. ANy ideas? This peees me off. Wait 7 days, what a bunch of BS. Without my sentri I'll sell mi casa. I'm not about to wait in those lines. I've been going down for 55+ years. Any Ideas guys??

no doubt thats BS but to sell the house you plan to move to in a few years sounds a little extreme? wanna really lose your mind, folks over at TB are reporting 2 1/2 hour waits this morning at 9am...COMING INTO MEXICO! :O

DENNIS - 5-27-2017 at 04:39 PM

It's a holiday weekend. Who would expect anything but a nightmare at the border?

bajabuddha - 5-27-2017 at 04:55 PM

Use your MJ license. It will help not minding the hassles so much. :cool:

yellowklr - 5-27-2017 at 04:57 PM

keep in mind under FEDERAL law no such thing as Medical Marijana license so that could be it assuming they even know abut it.

kboy24 - 5-27-2017 at 05:04 PM

I'll post back here whatever the reasoning was but I hope it's something silly and not stupid in regards to our government being stupid jerks. Just amazing how boneheaded these clowns can actually be while our borders are being overrun every nite and they screw with me, knuckleheads.

BajaBlanca - 5-27-2017 at 05:08 PM

I sure wish you the best of luck resolving this issue!

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2017 at 07:05 PM

Not recommended to drive unapproved vehicles thru sentri.
Just because you submitted vehicle data does not mean vehicle is approved and in system.
When you are driving an unapproved vehicle, Use the readi lanes.

Don't get mad at the govt. rules are rules. Follow them and the system will work for you.

adding a vehicle

John M - 5-27-2017 at 07:12 PM

Per the SENTRI webpage is this:

Please note processing times for vehicle enrollment vary vastly and it can take 3-5 months to process.

Upon vehicle approval, you will receive a letter stating that you will receive a new SENTRI card, please disregard. You can use the vehicle immediately upon approval with your existing Trusted Traveler card. Vehicle inspections are no longer required.

Pretty clear to me that if it hasn't received final approval you can't cross with it in the SENTRI lane. I'm not so sure, kboy24, just why you had a beef with the agent, who apparently was following guidelines and you weren't. Perhaps there is a little more to the story yet to be told.

You seem pretty hot under the collar in your two posts - maybe the agent sensed that sort of attitude and responded to your questions the way he did?

John M

BajaTed - 5-27-2017 at 07:58 PM

Aren't you supposed to get an interview/ vehicle inspection appointment first before your new vehicle addition is totally approved???

Ignorance of their CBP rules as it relates to the PRIVELEGE of a Sentri card is considered the worse offense possible BTW

KurtG - 5-27-2017 at 09:52 PM

I'll post back here whatever the reasoning was but I hope it's something silly and not stupid in regards to our government being stupid jerks. Just amazing how boneheaded these clowns can actually be while our borders are being overrun every nite and they screw with me, knuckleheads.

I'm sure that if you contact Sentri and explain their actions to them in the exact terms used above they will see the error of their ways.

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2017 at 07:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Not so sure he is implying that he drove the new vehicle in this instance...he just mentioned that he did buy a car and submit it for registration, got a 502 once and obtained a medical card as possible causations; he doesn't say he was driving the new car, handed the officer the medical card or revealed his 502 history to the officer.

What's a 502? (Us non-criminals don't keep up on the prison yard lingo)

New vehicle and attitude

John M - 5-28-2017 at 07:28 AM

paranewbi - you are correct in that he didn't explicitly say he was driving his newly applied for vehicle, I assumed from his post that that was probably the issue. It might be good for us SENTRI card holders to know that so that we avoid conflict with the regulations, or potential pitfalls ourselves. I also would hate to once again face the long border waits without SENTRI.

I agree that many of us have displayed an "attitude" in our posts, my comment was not meant to question the composition of his posts or his desire to vent on Nomad, but to wonder if that was his manner when dealing with the CBP officer.

John M

chippy - 5-28-2017 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Not so sure he is implying that he drove the new vehicle in this instance...he just mentioned that he did buy a car and submit it for registration, got a 502 once and obtained a medical card as possible causations; he doesn't say he was driving the new car, handed the officer the medical card or revealed his 502 history to the officer.

What's a 502? (Us non-criminals don't keep up on the prison yard lingo)

pre dui/dwi term for driving f...ed up.

kboy24 - 6-1-2017 at 02:35 PM

Expired Sentri Card gentlemen was the issue which I should have known and I was NEVER cross with anyone at the Border. That gets ya Nowhere as everyone here probably is aware of. I was driving th FJ Cruiser but the truck was on file with them and pending approval so I showed it to the CBP. But they have a "It's them not us" game they play in secondary also. Sentri people are only in Otay Mesa and now San Ysidro. So if anyone gets a new/used Car then you are outta luck for up to 6 months in regards to using your sentri /Global passes. That's pretty CS on their part. BTW the 502 is a Drunk driving for all you gold star tin horns out there. And NO John M. It wasn't at all. Why would I hand the guy my pot license??? Never the poor overworked Border Guards problems. I never saw so many people standing around doing nothing. for a living

BigBearRider - 6-1-2017 at 02:41 PM

It sounds like the issue was that you took your FJ Cruiser through the SENTRI line before it was approved.

norte - 6-1-2017 at 02:46 PM

I read this and then find out who the bonehead really is. Bet you hope they don't read this as well.

Gold Star Tin Horns ?

MrBillM - 6-1-2017 at 03:30 PM

THAT seems to convey a derogatory attitude towards those who aren't familiar with irresponsible drunken behavior.

Which says something about the Drunkard.

bajaguy - 6-1-2017 at 03:50 PM

Hahaha....oh, pardon me. You drove a non-approved vehicle through the SENTRI lane???. Yeah those CBP guys (and gals) are boneheads.....NOT. Appears the bonehead was the FJ driver

Expired Sentri Card gentlemen was the issue which I should have known and I was NEVER cross with anyone at the Border. That gets ya Nowhere as everyone here probably is aware of. I was driving th FJ Cruiser but the truck was on file with them and pending approval so I showed it to the CBP. But they have a "It's them not us" game they play in secondary also. Sentri people are only in Otay Mesa and now San Ysidro. So if anyone gets a new/used Car then you are outta luck for up to 6 months in regards to using your sentri /Global passes. That's pretty CS on their part. BTW the 502 is a Drunk driving for all you gold star tin horns out there. And NO John M. It wasn't at all. Why would I hand the guy my pot license??? Never the poor overworked Border Guards problems. I never saw so many people standing around doing nothing. for a living

Who is STUPID ?

MrBillM - 6-1-2017 at 04:13 PM

The Rule-Breaker.

That's Who !

gsbotanico - 6-1-2017 at 04:56 PM

A new car for regular border crossers can be problematic, even without Sentri, but more so with Sentri. The change in cars is a trigger. With modern computers US Customs has all your information, if only from scanning your license plate and your passport. Have you noticed that when you cross south your license plate is scanned on the US side? Same thing going north. That's why a front license plate is needed. Sentri gives the feds even more information about the holder. You also get your picture taken going north. Watch on the left side right after you hold up your Sentri card(s).

I've noticed that Mexican Customs is installing the same kind of equipment. For the Memorial Day weekend I was sent into secondary at Mexican Customs Saturday morning around 6 am, but sailed through US Customs on Monday afternoon around 3 pm after about 30 minutes in line. but getting to Padre Kino from Cuauhtémoc was a nightmare of congestion.

SFandH - 6-1-2017 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
A new car for regular border crossers can be problematic, even without Sentri, but more so with Sentri. The change in cars is a trigger. With modern computers US Customs has all your information, if only from scanning your license plate and your passport. Have you noticed that when you cross south your license plate is scanned on the US side? Same thing going north.

Yes, they are gathering more and more info on everyone. I read about the database they keep and there is even a free text field in your data record where the inspector can write whatever he wants. The next inspector can read that. They ask questions that they know the answers to, looking for a liar.

I cross monthly when I'm not in BCS. Several times I've been drilled about my car. Is it yours? How long have you had it? When did you buy it? Where did you buy it? It's just a regular Japanese sedan. The answers really don't make any difference to the job of immigration and customs inspections. I think they're just seeing if I answer the same way each time. If I have something to hide. I dunno.

I'm into geezerhood. If my memory starts to slip I'll fail the crossing quiz. ;)

Mexitron - 6-1-2017 at 05:40 PM

Reminds me of coming through the border many years ago, been surfing all day and drinking every night for the last week, then capped it off with the 14 hour drive up through the Pacific coast gauntlet to TJ. Border officer asked when I entered Mexico and I couldn't remember the exact day, exhaustion had killed my memory, lol. I finally muttered my best guess and I guess it was close enough because he let me through. Since then I start getting my facts straight the hour before crossing.

Candid Camera

MrBillM - 6-1-2017 at 06:50 PM

While having nothing to do with Sentri, but an insight into the evolution of video security, I read in today's L.A. Times of an additional innovation in "Home" security. The offering (coming in July) of a ($300 + $10 monthly) remotely-accessible security camera which utilizes the Google facial-recognition database.

An indication of a (near) future where moderately-priced Facial-Recognition capabilities will be available to anyone ?

For whatever purpose.

COOL !

Privacy is History.

BE GOOD.

Beagle - 6-1-2017 at 07:02 PM

So, how does the "Ready Lane" work? We have Global Entry but a new (used) car that is not registered with the Global Entry system. Can we go through the "Ready" lane?

bajaguy - 6-1-2017 at 07:12 PM

Yup

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
So, how does the "Ready Lane" work? We have Global Entry but a new (used) car that is not registered with the Global Entry system. Can we go through the "Ready" lane?

gsbotanico - 6-2-2017 at 12:31 PM

Ready Lane only works with a passport card. This speeds up getting your information into the computer. A passport doesn't need to be manually scanned, and the agent can in theory process the crossing faster.

A new (used) car shouldn't create any problem, but we're always subjects to the whim of the agent. If crossings are infrequent, there should be no problem. Going into the Sentri lane with Global entry without the new car properly registered guarantees a trip to secondary. You might even be told to return to Mexico and reenter through the other lanes.

BajaTed - 6-2-2017 at 01:02 PM

I have been told twice now, "it is an extreme privilege to be allowed into the Sentri program" The agents emphasized the privilege part with that stare :mad:that only federal officials know how to do

MMc - 6-2-2017 at 04:31 PM

You can use your Global Entry card at the ready lanes.
I would not drive a unregistered vehicle through the Sentri lane, they just might take you Global Entry card.
The card is to important to me to take a chance at losing it.
I am still waiting for my truck to be added and went through the ready lanes with my sentri yesterday.

Ready Lane only works with a passport card. This speeds up getting your information into the computer. A passport doesn't need to be manually scanned, and the agent can in theory process the crossing faster.

A new (used) car shouldn't create any problem, but we're always subjects to the whim of the agent. If crossings are infrequent, there should be no problem. Going into the Sentri lane with Global entry without the new car properly registered guarantees a trip to secondary. You might even be told to return to Mexico and reenter through the other lanes.

Beagle - 6-3-2017 at 04:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I would not drive a unregistered vehicle through the Sentri lane, they just might take you Global Entry card.
I am still waiting for my truck to be added and went through the ready lanes with my sentri yesterday.

Thanks Mmc,

Is there a big difference between the Ready and Normal lanes? We just need that physical Global Entry card and passport and that's it?

Thanks

BajaTed - 6-3-2017 at 02:55 PM

Just got my Sentri renewal till 2022 and my new GOES account in about two weeks:o, added my new truck in the Sentri conveyance section beforehand. All of this done online for $100.

Aaargh, waiting for both cards on pins and needles, the DT's are racking my body as I type this.

gsbotanico - 6-4-2017 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Thanks Mmc,

Is there a big difference between the Ready and Normal lanes? We just need that physical Global Entry card and passport and that's it?

Thanks

You can use passport, passport card, and Sentri/Global Entry in normal lanes. Passport card and Sentri/Global Entry in Ready lanes. Only Sentri/Global Entry in Sentri Lanes.

If anyone in your car has forgotten their documents, use only the normal lanes and have some other ID.

BajaMama - 6-10-2017 at 06:45 AM

Regarding interviews and car inspections - SENTRI no longer inspects cars prior to receiving the SENTRI pass, only the "at the border" interview. You just have to make sure the car is listed on your GOES account. I have crossed three times (only at Otay Mesa) so far and have not yet been asked to pull over for a vehicle inspection. I was informed at the interview that it could happen at any time. I always have the declarations page filled out and on the back I have a printable list of all the things I brought to Mexico but am bringing back. So far so good!

BajaBreak - 6-10-2017 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Reminds me of coming through the border many years ago, been surfing all day and drinking every night for the last week, then capped it off with the 14 hour drive up through the Pacific coast gauntlet to TJ. Border officer asked when I entered Mexico and I couldn't remember the exact day, exhaustion had killed my memory, lol. I finally muttered my best guess and I guess it was close enough because he let me through. Since then I start getting my facts straight the hour before crossing.

That's funny, and has been my experience more and more lately. I try to remember what they have asked me before, because sometimes it's like a barrage of 20 questions. Some agents are really normal and cool, but last week through Tecate had a very rude fellow, but after all the questions he sent me on my way.

Apparently changing border crossings is a big flag, because he grilled me on why I had gone through Ysidro the last few times. Any change in vehicle is a flag, probably a trip to secondary if it is your first time crossing with it. They probably like to get an x-ray profile for future reference. They have so much info now it's crazy.

DENNIS - 6-10-2017 at 11:07 AM

They don't ask stooped questions just to get a stooped answer....or any particular answer. They do it only to see and hear your response. Excessive nervousness will be a red flag to them and you may be in for a more intimate examination.

BajaBreak - 6-10-2017 at 03:46 PM

They have a job to do. I don't recall being asked stupid questions, but I've probably given some stupid answers. Sitting in that border line can scramble your brain.

Always best to not cross the border with anything to be nervous about. Apparently 2 bottles of wine is over the limit. 1 liter of alcohol includes beer, because 'alcohol is alcohol'.

mtgoat666 - 6-10-2017 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

They don't ask stooped questions just to get a stooped answer....or any particular answer. They do it only to see and hear your response. Excessive nervousness will be a red flag to them and you may be in for a more intimate examination.

I suspect they are chatty on purpose, to waste time, increase border waits, and thereby justify overtime. LEOs are masters at gaming the system, to create artificial need for OT, and pad their pay.

kboy24 - 6-26-2017 at 06:37 PM

WTF does that mean? lol

kboy24 - 6-26-2017 at 06:51 PM

I've coming down now for 55+ years and some of you dudes with your smart remarks if are made as a joke that's cool but if they be made to insult me then kiss my ass. I've been coming down here for a very long time and i'm to say that the problem with Norte Baja now are way too many people stateside that bring their i'm cooler than everybody attitudes.The exact same thing has happened in So. Cal. and is now spreading here. In the 60s this place was the wild wild west and ya better come prepared. The real boys will know what I mean. But sorry guys for the vent, I came in Peace..LOL You all stay safe down here

David K - 6-26-2017 at 07:33 PM

Ignore the Goat, kboy24, if his weird replies bug you.

Sometime tell us your old days in Baja stories! Most here are bored with mine about the glory days when the pavement ended just north of Colonet or at San Felipe, southbound!

EnsenadaDr - 6-26-2017 at 07:43 PM

The Sentri pass is the gold ring and a real privilege as far as I am concerned. I once lost my temper with an agent in Tecate that found an apple in my trunk along with eggs I bought in the U.S. She got really nasty with me and after 4 years after that incident I got stopped crossing over in San Ysidro with a rental car that was not a Sentri vehicle but I could not move over into the Ready lane and got directed to the Sentri lane by a Mexican policeman. It seemed they had a record of my exchange with the agent in Tecate. They told me they could pull my Sentri card because I had had a "previous". I decided it wasn't worth arguing. It might sound crazy but I would be really upset to lose the Sentri pass.

Cliffy - 7-12-2017 at 09:02 PM

I'm confused! Why all the problems.
In all the border crossings I've done (from all over the world) I've never had a problem. Crossing the Mexican border I roll down my window and take off my sunglasses and smile, at night I lower my lights to parking only so they can see my face. I have nothing to be worried about and I answer their questions with a smile. When I go to Secondary I do the same thing. They ask questions that they know the answers to like the weather were I live or where I live what's around there. It's just a game they play and I play back at them.
Last time through LAX from Australia I had all our papers ready, went through the passport gate and then the Customs guy. As I walked up I waved my papers, smiled and said, "OK which of these do you want, what ever you need, I got it". He just waved me by.

New car with Sentri

GC - 12-10-2017 at 10:23 AM

Just helped a friend apply for Sentri Renewal. We also added a new car during the process. The car now appears on his list of vehicles with his other Sentri info. His current Sentri card does not expire for almost 6 months and we are not expecting approval anytime soon, but I am unsure about the car we added? Will he receive some kind of separate approval for the car, or can he now use it because it appears under his list of vehicles on the new Sentri Site?

BajaTed - 12-10-2017 at 12:41 PM

With all due respect Sir;
By crossing the border in a "still pending review vehicle" you seriously jeopardized your PRIVELEGE associated with a SENTRI card.
Its a private federal government club only for those that survive the vetting and follow the rules to a tee, its their railroad, best get over it.
BTW, for a recently approved and added vehicle, they put you and the new vehicle through a giant x-ray machine, glad I've had all the kids I intend too.

rts551 - 12-10-2017 at 02:30 PM

Why does everyone harp about the car?

In one of the OPs last posts he says "Expired Sentri Card gentlemen was the issue".

Me thinks no one ever reads through these things.

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2017 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

In one of the OPs last posts he says "Expired Sentri Card gentlemen was the issue".

Why are you so concerned about people’s harping?

This thread is 7 months old.

rts551 - 12-10-2017 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Why are you so concerned about people’s harping?

This thread is 7 months old.

Another one who opens his mouth without reading (much less thinking). BajaTed brought it up again about the car. 12/10/2017 12:41