BajaNomad

Colnet Paradise Hotel RIP OFF

Marla Daily - 6-1-2017 at 07:50 PM

We have stayed at the Paradise Hotel north of Colnet twice ~ $40/night. It's the one that is newer and sits alone on the hillside on the east side of the highway. Usually its mostly empty; no one is ever at the restaurant either. Well, we stopped there Monday night ~ tired, after 13 hours on the road north from Loreto) ~ only to be told by the frustrated and embarrased manager that the owner had arbitrarily raised the price of a room to $125 US for the week due to a race and the Memorial Day holiday. We kept driving.
They lost our business then and forever.

Such arbitrary and capricious price-gouging is despicable. We warn all Baja nomaders away from this misnomer of a Paradise.

DianaT - 6-1-2017 at 07:58 PM

Well, it happens every where. Where we live now, when Mule Days comes, $40.00 rooms are over $100.00. The hotel where we stay in Reno when we visit, is usually under $60, unless there is an event going on, and then it can be well over $100.

While annoying to the consumer, it is common practice in the USA, so not surprised.

[Edited on 6-2-2017 by DianaT]

bajaguy - 6-1-2017 at 08:24 PM

Like DianaT said, happens everywhere, especially when they know an event is in town

PS: That place gives me the creeps

elgatoloco - 6-1-2017 at 08:25 PM

re: gouging. Try to get a room in the path of the total solar eclipse in August. :o

mtgoat666 - 6-1-2017 at 08:36 PM

Crikey!
All hotels the world over practice market pricing. Supply and demand! Why should an innkeeper set low prices if the marlket will pay more?

Lee - 6-1-2017 at 11:02 PM

Sorry. Motels set the price, not the customer. I've stayed there. It's fine. No, I wouldn't pay that much for Colonet.

Cliffy - 6-2-2017 at 12:09 AM

Next to appear?
You'll get a "Resort Fee" tacked on for $15-$30

ehall - 6-2-2017 at 04:54 AM

Heard some rooms in Ensenada are $300 this week

Russ - 6-2-2017 at 08:08 AM

It is an okay place to over night. the beds are good. I don't like the drive in over the bumpy rocks and don't like hauling my things up to the room. The best thing is not having to drive thru San Quintin in the morning when people are thick trying to catch a bus. Too bad about the surprise room rates.

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2017 at 10:05 AM

I can understand your frustration! Driving and tired and no bueno price hike. It is true that it is common practice - we never know if we will be able to stay at the hotel of choice in Ensenada because the price ranges from $50 (ok for us) to $150 (no way), but I have to say that I think this practice stinks.

Marla Daily - 6-3-2017 at 11:52 AM

In El Rosario the Baja Cactus doesn't price gouge; Tourista Hotel doesn't price gouge. Never had this experience in any hotel in 30+ years of transiting the peninsula!

Phooey on you Colnet Paraiso! We'll be waivin' adios as we cruise past you.

carlosg - 6-3-2017 at 12:08 PM

Every time we drive passed this place is desolate, uninviting, to me it looks more like a "laundromat" and not because they wash clothes.... who knows....

David K - 6-4-2017 at 08:11 PM

Drove by on Friday, day before the 500 and only one vehicle in front... not that that indicates. I would think they would have tested the price at a previous race in the area to gauge if they sell out. Are not 10 rooms rented at $40 better than 2 rooms at $100, as word of mouth referrals are so valuable, coming from 5 times more clients?

mtgoat666 - 6-4-2017 at 10:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Drove by on Friday, day before the 500 and only one vehicle in front... not that that indicates. I would think they would have tested the price at a previous race in the area to gauge if they sell out. Are not 10 rooms rented at $40 better than 2 rooms at $100, as word of mouth referrals are so valuable, coming from 5 times more clients?

Perhaps the innkeeper raised prices to drive the race crowd away. You know, those race crowds damage everything by placing their infernal stickers on everything. Probably wise to avoid the sticker vandals trashing the place, eh? :light:

chuckie - 6-5-2017 at 04:08 AM

We gotta get the gummint involved! Call some witness's, have some hearings, commission some polls, issue some directives..that kinda chit...Have a meeting..The San Ignacio accords....

Paco Facullo - 6-5-2017 at 06:30 AM

"F" those greedy Bastards !!

You did the right thing , walk away........

I can accept an increase in time of high demand BUT when they shoot for the moon, they are simply being greedy. "F" them !

I hope they didn't rent a single room.
And I'm one to hope the best for most people.

KaceyJ - 6-5-2017 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Perhaps the innkeeper raised prices to drive the race crowd away. You know, those race crowds damage everything by placing their infernal stickers on everything. Probably wise to avoid the sticker vandals trashing the place, eh? :light:

Funny, bumper stickers are as bad as graffiti IMO

And re: the Hotel

There is something not right about the place , has a hinky vibe

Won't go there again

Some one mentioned laundromat

Udo - 6-5-2017 at 10:06 AM

YES like in Las Vegas!

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Next to appear?
You'll get a "Resort Fee" tacked on for $15-$30

Barry A. - 6-5-2017 at 01:41 PM

Hmmmmm???? In the States, we stay in hotel/motels that run from about $50 to $75 a night all the time. How do they do it??? I don't know, but they do.

chuckie - 6-5-2017 at 02:15 PM

My, that's an incredibly stupid statement....

mtgoat666 - 6-5-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Hmmmmm???? In the States, we stay in hotel/motels that run from about $50 to $75 a night all the time. How do they do it??? I don't know, but they do.

yes, in an undesirable area, in the off season, in a truck-stop-exit econo-sleep-box-type-hotel (like quality inn or motel 6), you might find those rates

Russ - 6-5-2017 at 02:31 PM

I think we've gone a bit beyond the original posters frustration. Many Baja travelers don't follow Baja's racing. They definitely pick a bad travel time. But when you have a destination in mind, know what the rates are and that the place is seldom occupied you look forward to a nice quiet crash pad for the night. What a shock when the cost are almost tripled. B&S your numbers may be correct and profit margins are tight for sure but they also would like to draw diners in and with the bar it would make a difference to have higher occupancy.

chuckie - 6-5-2017 at 02:38 PM

What I said, stands...Stupid statement

willardguy - 6-5-2017 at 02:41 PM

you crackhead filthy whippersnappers, you'll get bedbugs I tell ya!

TMW - 6-5-2017 at 03:39 PM

I personally would not pay $230 a night for any hotel. I've stayed in $200+ hotels but the company paid the bill. They were Ok but I'm happy with most Motel 6s. Holiday Inn and Best Western for a little better quality.

ncampion - 6-5-2017 at 04:08 PM

Not sure about the math here. Baja Cactus used to charge $350 MX a night, I think they have recently raised it 100 pesos. It's clean, secure and friendly, a quality place in the middle of nowhere. I don't think he is operating the hotel at a loss every night. No restaurant/bar either.

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
... Are not 10 rooms rented at $40 better than 2 rooms at $100, as word of mouth referrals are so valuable, coming from 5 times more clients?

that's just advertising you are following like a lamb...

lets do the math...

these estimates are for ONE room for one night...not the hotel
Check-in guy $6
room cleaner $3
room tax $8
shampoo and room soap $1
Laundry and supplies for cleaning $2
Water and toilet paper $3
Electric in and OUT plus bulbs $6
room wear and tear (sheets and towels) $3

total $32
rent $40
profit $8

profit on 10 rooms $80 a night
and there is a 40% vacancy factor in that area

so the owner would male about 48 bucks a day

would you work for that?
I think not

they rate for that place should be $100 a nite EVERYDAY

not a very good return

bajabuddha - 6-5-2017 at 04:24 PM

"as for hotels...i'm in the business (not willingly)..."

I think you need a new line of retirement.

LancairDriver - 6-5-2017 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I personally would not pay $230 a night for any hotel. I've stayed in $200+ hotels but the company paid the bill. They were Ok but I'm happy with most Motel 6s. Holiday Inn and Best Western for a little better quality.

TMW I believe most people would agree with you. I think most people are not wanting to participate in a contest to see who wants to pay the most for a hotel. The goal for most is to get off the road and get a good nights sleep at a reasonable price. I hope Bill Gates doesn't chime in here with his idea of a decent hotel.

TMW - 6-5-2017 at 06:05 PM

When I travel I want a good bed and shower. I can do without TV, it's OK but not necessary. For most of my travels I stay in the same places. If I'm staying more than one night then I want something better. One of the best places I've stayed is Las Gaviotas in La Paz. Kitchen, dining area, living room, two bedrooms one with a bathroom and patio facing the harbor. $130 per night plus tax. Last time I stayed there it was for three nights. We did day trips during the day around southern Baja. It was like a home away from home.

del mar - 6-5-2017 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

:lol:....although I did not not partake.....locals in the area have told me shortly after opening the bar out front was a blast....don't know anything about the hotel though.....

pacificobob - 6-5-2017 at 07:04 PM

thats funny.

Barry A. - 6-6-2017 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

well...you stay in a DIVE with crack-heads and filthy people

you'll get bed-bug bites one-day

nextime you rent a hotel...step up a little and break a 120 and see how much cleaner it is...

and book in advance...you ALWAYS get a better rate in the usa

if this poster had "called-ahead" she would have KNOWN the price and this discussion would never have been posted

the world is changing...its not 1970 anymore...I know...I live with 1970 prices in mind all the time

"Crack heads and filthy people"??????? LOL No, never!!! We call ahead direct to the hotel, negotiate, use discounts, etc. and usually (but not always) find decent places that are well below $100, sometimes significantly below $100. All we want is a nice bed, a shower, quiet, and a nice restaurant within a reasonable distance. Free breakfasts too are nice. (Super 8, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western, or private establishments, mostly.) For instance: Plaza Hotel in Carson City---$57 a night for 2---love that place. We have stayed in multi-$100 a night places, and most always come away with the question, "why did we spend that much, and for what"? LOL We all have different priorities.

On Edit: Super clean hotels weaken your immune-system , you know. LOL

[Edited on 6-6-2017 by Barry A.]

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 08:32 AM

Ditzy Susan maybe is trying to justify her high rates? And if they are less than exorbitant, she is running a flop house filled with crackheads and filthy people and fleas? Her words not mine...

willardguy - 6-6-2017 at 09:00 AM

everyone knows crackheads don't sleep, they just wander around all night.....so the beds should be pristine!

motoged - 6-6-2017 at 09:29 AM

everyone knows crackheads don't sleep, they just wander around all night.....so the beds should be pristine!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I enjoy a comfortable and well-appointed motel/hotel when travelling....and like to hang on to some of that hard-earned money for more years in this phase of life mislabeled as "retirement"...so will look for rooms for under $100 (which in the USA is $130 for me as a Canuck)....it is inaccurate to suggest that inexpensive establishments are solely inhabited by crackheads....I have stayed in expensive places that are full of fat loudmouths carrying on at all hours as they seem to think they are entitled to act that way because they are throwing their money around....

TripAdviser is full of affordable mom and pop places that are inexpensive and get top ratings....and they don't even have a lighthouse out front.

But none of it really matters as the entire planet is out of control :(

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 09:37 AM

What GED said...I just booked a Motel in Casper Wyoming Days Inn, for a Cowboy Poetry Venue, spotless quiet full breakfast.....68.00...same place we stayed last year same price as last year...

willardguy - 6-6-2017 at 09:41 AM

Tom Bodett always leaves the light on for me:coolup:

TMW - 6-6-2017 at 10:25 AM

My wife and I did did an 11 state western vacation in September of 2011. We stayed at Motel 6 every night except one, it was a Best Western. Prices for M6 were usually near $50 with discount. Mammoth Mtn was near $70. BW in Livingston, Montana was $120. It was nicer with a bigger room with sofa. We were not un-happy with any place we stayed.

Mammoth was interesting in that I had to lug my ice chest about 50 yards to the room. They recommended keeping the ice chest with food in the room due to the bears. At the time I was wishing I had wheels on it.

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 11:52 AM

Maybe it was full of money?

RnR - 6-6-2017 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Mammoth was interesting in that I had to lug my ice chest about 50 yards to the room. They recommended keeping the ice chest with food in the room due to the bears. At the time I was wishing I had wheels on it.

why do you need to lug an ice chest when you stay at a hotel???

Read the second sentence - there are bears at Mammoth Lake.

Coolers in the back of open pickups (and sometimes even in the back seat of sedans) are an open invitation for bear damage. Even without food in the cooler, the odor is still there.

Ever see the door frames/windows of a vehicle bent outward at 90 deg? Usually means that a bear saw something inside that he wanted .....

willardguy - 6-6-2017 at 12:38 PM

I've had it with these gawddang filthy tweakers, bedbugs, bears and coolers! :lol:

bajabuddha - 6-6-2017 at 12:43 PM

"...why do you need a cooler in the USA???"

That's an easy one. To keep things COLD, silly. When travelling it's nice to have a cool one handy or a snack, or a sammich when there's no eateries close when you want a snack or sumpin'. Can you be any more condescending with your attitude? You really should be in a different kind of work, pal.

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 12:48 PM

Ditzy

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 01:27 PM

Sal?

tiotomasbcs - 6-6-2017 at 01:38 PM

How can I drink and drive if I don't have an ice chest?! Ever been camping? Prolly not. You just don't understand.

bajabuddha - 6-6-2017 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
"...why do you need a cooler in the USA???"

That's an easy one. To keep things COLD, silly. When travelling it's nice to have a cool one handy or a snack, or a sammich when there's no eateries close when you want a snack or sumpin'.

you never NEED a cooler in the car unless you are camping...
beer is kinda dangerous

every 2-3 hours you stop and gas up...lots of drinks and food there if you REALLY need it

can't you wait for lunch or dinner?
eat at a regular place?
you are on vacation

and someone that can't tell me his name isn't "my pal"

You're right about the 'pal' part, but it's the only thing you're right about. I don't drink beer on the road, but I do like a pop or an iced tea, or even a cold drink of water, especially if it's a long drive. As a rule i always have at least a medium Oscar cooler in my vehicle when travelling just because... can also accommodate minor items for storage too. And, when having to pay for lodging (not 'camping') sometimes it's a vacation budget-stretcher to build a sammich on the road. Just because you're too high and mighty doesn't mean the rest of the world has to march to your cadence. BTW, how's the air up there on that horse?

TMW - 6-6-2017 at 02:33 PM

I always have a cooler in my vehicle with cold drinks and snack stuff. On some of the trails at Death Valley, the Mojave Road and the No Wimp Trail there are no restaurants to eat at. Besides it's fun to stop for a snack and cold one at a really beautiful place along the way. Bob and Susan need to get out more and see the rest of the country and not be coup'd up in a hotel for so long.

woody with a view - 6-6-2017 at 02:35 PM

When will this morph to which coolo is best?

willardguy - 6-6-2017 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
When will this morph to which coolo is best?

Yeti of course.....just make sure you get one big enough! ;)

chuckie - 6-6-2017 at 03:39 PM

Got my vote

bajabuddha - 6-6-2017 at 04:03 PM

I gotta buy me a few of them for my next road trip. :cool: