BajaNomad

prerunning and the 500

MMc - 6-2-2017 at 04:49 PM

Was was down for a couple of days this week. It seems that there are people out running the course that are just there to run the course. They didn't seem to be part of a team and there was nobody taking notes. Is this something new, or have I just been missing something.
Second question. I saw a bunch of trailered racecars being hauled south mid/late
morning, why? I am sure there are as many answers as there were cars. I seems late in the day to be prerunning. If I was going to be prerunning I wouldn't want to be north of Colonet at 10:30 in the morning.
I love the race but these things just didn't add up to me.

TMW - 6-2-2017 at 05:06 PM

Some people pre-run the race course that are not racing just to do it and other will run the course after the race is over. I've done both.

Some racers will pre-run the day before the race usually it is not the driver/rider of record but a co-driver or co-rider.

AKgringo - 6-2-2017 at 06:06 PM

The first time was 'pre-running' part of the Baja 1k, it was completely by accident! It was before I discovered this forum, And I had no clue that a race was scheduled to happen on the route I had mapped out for myself.

It wound up being 'extra sauce' on an already delicious adventure.

MMc - 6-2-2017 at 07:58 PM

I never occured to me to jump on the course if you weren't racing. I guess some people could go a bit faster than just making the drive.

TMW - 6-3-2017 at 10:30 AM

On race day it is not good to be on the race course with the racers. For the motorcycle racer it is dangerous even deadly. With the cars and trucks it's bad for everyone.