BajaNomad

Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio

Fernweh - 6-2-2017 at 09:40 PM

Just rolled into San Ignacio today,
and checked into the hotel La Huerta again.
Now featuring a completely new paint scheme, the rooms absolutely sparkling clean, and being welcome again by their friendly staff.
My friend Harald told me about their new restaurant, just across the courtyard.
Finally a nice restaurant in San Ignacio, the floor so clean you could eat of it. A simple no-nonsense menu with good choices, I had a very tasty steak, and the knife was sharp enough to handle the bit fresh meat....
Overall a very pleasant experience, which set this place apart from the IMO sad choices around the town square.

Meany - 6-3-2017 at 04:17 AM

Looking Good.:bounce::bounce:

BajaBlanca - 6-3-2017 at 06:44 AM

Great news! This is the third report I have heard stating how good the restaurant is, so looks like we have a winner!

Udo - 6-3-2017 at 07:45 AM

Excellent prices on the menu you posted...thanks!!

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2017 at 08:30 AM

La Huerta restaurant is OK, but lacks character. Is a bit sterile and boring - it's hotel food. Food is adequate, but not special.
I still prefer to eat at Rene's, watch the cars, pedestrians and chickens walk by. I highly recommend chicken tacos at Quichules by the military inspection spot.
My only must-eat in SI is to buy ice cream from shop on the square and eat it in the square, relaxing in the shade

TMW - 6-3-2017 at 10:37 AM

We stayed there in April and you're right Karl it is a welcome place to go. Good food, good rooms, good service and at good prices.

shari - 6-3-2017 at 11:31 AM

too bad the walls are paper thin....we could hear people talking even in their regular voice....sucks if you have noisy neighbours but otherwise the best option in town....dont forget your ear plugs!

BornFisher - 6-3-2017 at 01:28 PM

Love menu pics!
Great review, thanks!
BUT--- bummer about the thin walls!

BajaBlanca - 6-3-2017 at 03:20 PM

ear plugs! just BRILLIANT, as the British would say.

jbcoug - 6-3-2017 at 08:54 PM

I had the opportunity to eat lunch there in March for the first time. I was truly impressed, both with the food and restaurant as well. I wouldn't think to call it sterile, it is clean, fresh, and elegant. The food was delcious at a very reasonable price. Nothing hotel food about my meal. Service and presentation were exceptional. it is a classy option!

Chup - 8-5-2017 at 05:59 PM

Late add to this.
I too was able to spend a night at the hotel in early March this year coming out of GN headed to Bay of Concepcion and was very impressed with the rooms, the cleanliness, and the amenities for the very reasonable price.

The restaurant was also rememberable for their service, the food and sitting outside listening to the peac-cks was a nice twist. I have no problem recommending the hotel or the restaurant to all.

[Edited on 8-6-2017 by Chup]

[Edited on 8-6-2017 by Chup]

David K - 8-5-2017 at 09:31 PM

Stayed at La Huerta several times and never heard others. My last time was in the room next to the office and I was concerned as noise keeps me awake. I slept great!
I had breakfast at their new restaurant and it was good and inexpensive. My last dinner was at Augustin's taco stand at the plaza... may have been the best carne asada in Baja?! Chef Victor of Victor's restaurant passed away, fyi.

bajachris - 8-6-2017 at 06:35 AM

Do they allow dogs?

Thin walls

Sr.vienes - 8-6-2017 at 06:58 AM

I can't stand outside noise in motels either. I downloaded a white noise app on my IPhone and leave it on the charger all night, end of problem. The only downside is you won't hear anyone breaking into your car, but that hasn't happened to us in thirty plus years (in Baja anyway).

Howard - 8-6-2017 at 09:41 AM

As of a year or so ago they accepted dogs.

TMW - 8-6-2017 at 09:47 AM

I too think it's a very good hotel. I've stayed there several times and never had a problem with noise.

gueribo - 8-6-2017 at 09:47 AM

I'll second (and third) this...very peaceful stop. Had a nice chat with the groundskeeper. Good people.

BooJumMan - 8-6-2017 at 04:54 PM

Is it really the best option in town? Thought the San Ignacio Springs bungalows were awesome... dog friendly, friendly owners, great breakfast!

David K - 8-6-2017 at 05:30 PM

(Yurts) ... and wildlife experience!
There is also the old motel, beyond La Huerta, the 'La Posada', The Desert Inn, Ricardo's Rice and Beans, and also on the highway to the east, Baja Oasis.
Not any recommendations, just some additional options.

TMW - 8-6-2017 at 05:50 PM

I've only stayed at the old La Pinta now Desert Inn which was OK and was $65 a night several years ago. Rice and Beans is/was last I stayed $60 a night with no wifi in the room. Not bad but not as good as La Huerta. I've heard the Yurts is like $100. A little too rich for me.

David K - 8-6-2017 at 09:01 PM

In July 2015, no vacancy at La Huerta, the Desert Inn was nearly $100, so we went to Rice & Beans at $60. Dirty floor, a couple of c-ckroaches, never again. Same deal on the yurts. They are awsome and the Canadian hospitality and food was great, but the rat and c-ckroaches in our yurt were more than the $85 price (in 2009) should have included!
If La Huerta is full next time, I will go back to La Posada (stayed there in 1985) or try Baja Oasis, on the highway.

chuckie - 8-6-2017 at 09:06 PM

Rice and Beans is dreadful...Food is OK...Rooms....NO

David K - 8-6-2017 at 09:32 PM

Agree! My meals have been good there the couple times we ate at Ricardo's.

surfinggrandpa71 - 8-7-2017 at 07:00 AM

Looking forward to trying La Huerta, never again the Ignacio springs, the "great breakfast" was subpar last time there, felt like it was a nuisance for the staff, too many flies as well. Not to mention the price,wowzer.....

tiotomasbcs - 8-7-2017 at 05:53 PM

Love an honest, updated report but....UUGGHHHH, c-ckroaches?! But, in the summertime I do my best to keep them at bay. Agree, love rice and beans but not this Hotel! I have enjoyed La Huerta on the way north in July/Aug. It's a long 1/1/2 to GN. Our choice.

TLBaja79 - 3-11-2019 at 03:00 PM

La Huerta was booked last week, Whale Watching.

Stayed at Desert Inn which is great, great restaurant, $60. Nothing special here, just a plain Desert Inn Room!

We like La Huerta better since its easy to park, walk to town and eat there, stretching your legs after driving. At Desert Inn we stay there for dinner, which is good

Stayed at Baja Oasis 'south' of town a couple years ago and it was perfectly ok. Clean Room, safe spot for truck, etc...

Make a reservation early if you plan to come to SI.

David K - 3-11-2019 at 03:41 PM

Right behind the Baja Oasis in La Muralla!

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/la_mural...

BajaBlanca - 3-12-2019 at 08:18 AM

We just went to La Huerta yesterday afternoon. We were waiting for some students and had time to kill. Had a dessert - flan - and it was delicious. Had a margarita, it was delicious too. Wifi is fast. Staff is very courteous. A+ all around!

As you pass the mission, on the left, is a small house where they rent out rooms. I don't remember the name...el cotijo or something like that? Our friends stayed there and really liked it. Being so close to the main square is a plus, there is a café attached to the rental rooms as well. Their garden is exquisite and I posted photos here years ago.

weebray - 3-12-2019 at 09:07 AM

Huerta takes dogs - just insert $. Rooms are "Fabulosa" clean and noisy. The beds are small and hard as a rock. The sheets are lija. The restaurant serves uninspired food. It stands out from the quaint old-time colonial feel of the pueblo - way out.

BajaBlanca - 3-12-2019 at 09:20 AM

I will try and find some photos of the breakfast we had at the Huerta a while ago, anything but uninspired weebray! It was really, really tasty.

Wow, you should have been there yesterday! They have a small square in the middle of the courtyard. A big group of whale watchers came to stay the night and as entertainment, they had a very young group of local dancers come and dance traditional Mexican dances. I didn't take any pics as we were heading out when we saw them. The kids were GOOD and really cute in their sombreros and cowboy/cowgirl outfits.

weebray - 3-15-2019 at 08:46 AM

I love your positive view on life Blanca. Thanks for reminding me that there is good in the world too.

fishbuck - 3-16-2019 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the report. Looks nice.

jkruk - 3-10-2021 at 03:04 PM

Is this hotel owned by victor of Chivato fame?

pacificobob - 3-10-2021 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajachris  
Do they allow dogs?

a week ago they did. a small fee was collected.