BajaNomad

Nomad Spelling Police

LancairDriver - 6-3-2017 at 09:22 AM

Occasionally Nomad posters are chastised for their spelling errors. But really how much difference does exactly correct spelling make in understanding the message? Here is a good example of the importance of correct spelling.

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed this? Olny 55 people out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it.

Barry A. - 6-3-2017 at 09:28 AM

Very good point, and a dose of reality.

Unfortunately, some believe spelling prowess is a litmus test for intelligence, and/or education-----a dangerous assumption, and often embarrassing to the accuser.

Spell-check is making the problem even worse as few remember what the automatically corrected spelling of a word actually is.

Osprey - 6-3-2017 at 09:42 AM

Punctuation is important. "I love to eat my children and my two dogs."

sancho - 6-3-2017 at 09:57 AM

Stating the obvious, at least for me, anything written
I defer to Osprey. Jorge, where have you been?
edit: I should say grammar

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by sancho]

TMW - 6-3-2017 at 10:00 AM

I think most people are tolerant when a word or two are misspelled. If done like the example above I would think the person is ignorant. I use spell check and sometimes it will pass a word that is not spelled correctly for the use intended.

Osprey - 6-3-2017 at 10:19 AM

Sancho, I have been here but in flagging spirit. Old age is a personal insult. It is like getting smacked.

SFandH - 6-3-2017 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  

That's a good one. A more subtle example:

"I'd like to thank my parents, John, and Fred for coming with us."

or

"I'd like to thank my parents, John and Fred for coming with us."

Commas are important.

As far as spelling goes, good spelling versus bad spelling is like clean clothes versus dirty clothes, good and clean being desirable.

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by SFandH]

Paco Facullo - 6-3-2017 at 10:37 AM

Sum people are way too anal.

Personally i don't give a sh*t.....

mojo_norte - 6-3-2017 at 10:39 AM

covfefe ?

Fatboy - 6-3-2017 at 10:46 AM

Spelling becomes important in search functions, not in everyday reading use.

What I see is most people correcting place name misspellings and not general word misspellings and that can be quite helpful when searching for something on the web.

If I search for Malarrimo on BN I get pages of hits but if I search for Malarimo I get four hits that do not seem to appear under the correct spelling.

So I believe the OP is stating for some people (mainly DavidK) to quit being so anal about misspelling which I would disagree with.

So how much difference does it make?

I cannot say the amount of difference it makes but I do believe it is helpful under these circumstances and it does make a difference.

DavidT - 6-3-2017 at 11:04 AM

Proper punctuation is important also.

Did you read those in their voices?

vandenberg - 6-3-2017 at 11:05 AM

Sancho, I have been here but in flagging spirit. Old age is a personal insult. It is like getting smacked.

No Sh#T Maynard.:biggrin:

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by vandenberg]

Barry A. - 6-3-2017 at 11:08 AM

I am confused-----:

So, how would this sentence above appear with the proper punctuation?

Fatboy - 6-3-2017 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

I am confused-----:

So, how would this sentence above appear with the proper punctuation?

Seems straight forward .... as posted he loves to eat children and dogs and who doesnt love dog?

With the use of punctuation he maybe saying he loves to eat, loves his children, and loves his two dogs.

Osprey - 6-3-2017 at 11:25 AM

Many adult gringos I know are avid readers. The ones I spend time with are stuck in very elementary grade school English, are stuck in speech patterns that boil down to using a few hundred words in conversation (if that) in a year. I asked some of them if they bothered to look up words in the books they read and they said they don't need to, they don't bother and it makes little difference in their enjoyment, if not their understanding, of the author's well placed words. The author is writing in Hi Def Technicolor and the reader only sees the story unfold in black and white. Seems a two-way waste.

Early in life I was curious enough to get in the habit of looking up every word I didn't know as I read and for me the enjoyment goes up with the understanding.

The value of my giant library of words in my head is suspect because I live like a savage -- I am only word rich. When I write, it helps me greatly to know what words not to use.

BajaRat - 6-3-2017 at 11:38 AM

I think it's rude, self important and most likely a power play by the the spelling police. They enjoy the AHAAAAAA moments and any excuse to elevate themselves and be in the spotlight. I understand if your in a writing class, publishing or asking for help, butt...................

That post is very cool Mr. Pilot

JZ - 6-3-2017 at 11:41 AM

If you point out a typo you should be laughed off the board. That's how most other boards operate.

If someone does it to me I generally think they haven't been around much and think less of them.

AKgringo - 6-3-2017 at 11:45 AM

Spell check is not the same as proof reading, and my brother has always had a problem spotting when a similar word is used where he expected something else.

Although he obtained a PHD through the UC system, he did not spot his typo when he announced to family and friends that my nephew would be getting married in the local m o r o n church!

Spell check was not going to add an 'm' to that announcement and save his butt!

It is interesting that without spacing the letters out, this board corrects to marooon!

LancairDriver - 6-3-2017 at 12:07 PM

Sorry for the confusion caused by my last sentence of the post. It should have better read "unimportance of correct spelling."
The main point being, if you can read the last jibberish paragraph aloud the first time you see it at normal speed, you probably will blow right by a couple of misspelled words in an article without wasting any time with a letter to the editor.

DENNIS - 6-3-2017 at 12:24 PM

My word. Git out the weegee board. We gonna have a séance.

Hi there Jorge. Good to see you.

DENNIS - 6-3-2017 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

No Sh#T Maynard.:biggrin:

[Edited on 6-3-2017 by vandenberg]

And another voice from the wherever. How ya been, Ed?

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2017 at 12:35 PM

If you can write, you can spell. I find spellling errors are almost always an indicator of poor writing skills. I also find that spelling errors almost always come from people that don't like reading or simply don't do much recreational reading.
Parents that raise kids w/o writing skills or a passion for reading are handicapping their kids.
Writing is required skill in many lines of professional work. When I interview kids for entry level professional positions, many can't write. Too bad, as they simply won't get hired.

DanO - 6-3-2017 at 12:42 PM

Many adult gringos I know are avid readers. The ones I spend time with are stuck in very elementary grade school English, are stuck in speech patterns that boil down to using a few hundred words in conversation (if that) in a year. I asked some of them if they bothered to look up words in the books they read and they said they don't need to, they don't bother and it makes little difference in their enjoyment, if not their understanding, of the author's well placed words. The author is writing in Hi Def Technicolor and the reader only sees the story unfold in black and white. Seems a two-way waste.

Early in life I was curious enough to get in the habit of looking up every word I didn't know as I read and for me the enjoyment goes up with the understanding.

The value of my giant library of words in my head is suspect because I live like a savage -- I am only word rich. When I write, it helps me greatly to know what words not to use.

^^^^THIS, OF COURSE^^^

DENNIS - 6-3-2017 at 12:48 PM

The field and understanding of learning [mind mapping, and spaced repetition for instance] has come a long way in recent years. Teachers need to catch up with the science.

bajabuddha - 6-3-2017 at 12:55 PM

Make America Illiterate Again.

Seems to me the topic is throwing shade at people who throw shade..... a tad bit hypocritical. One does not need to be a wordsmith to know simple basics of 'their, there and they're' or 'to, two and too' to show how tough the three years of 4th grade was. It's a SMH moment when an under-educated person calls another stupid.

All this time I believed 'looser' was the opposite of 'tighter'. :smug:

motoged - 6-3-2017 at 01:04 PM

As one Nomad says: "You can't fix stupid". :light:

TMW - 6-3-2017 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
If you can write, you can spell. I find spellling errors are almost always an indicator of poor writing skills. I also find that spelling errors almost always come from people that don't like reading or simply don't do much recreational reading.
Parents that raise kids w/o writing skills or a passion for reading are handicapping their kids.
Writing is required skill in many lines of professional work. When I interview kids for entry level professional positions, many can't write. Too bad, as they simply won't get hired.

California schools K-12 do not teach writing.

weebray - 6-3-2017 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
covfefe ?

Like!

bajabuddha - 6-3-2017 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
covfefe ?

Like!

:lol: Double ditto, bigly! :lol:

bajaguy - 6-3-2017 at 03:59 PM

Expresso or espresso??

sancho - 6-3-2017 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Can I use that? What's wrong with the leader of the free
world using a 6th grade vocabulary/syntax?

bajabuddha - 6-3-2017 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Can I use that? What's wrong with the leader of the free
world using a 6th grade vocabulary/syntax?

You certainly may. Nothing wrong at all, just like everything else that has come out of BLOATUS. :no:

rts551 - 6-3-2017 at 06:35 PM

I am just glad an impotant Baja topic has such a great recponce.

BajaBill74 - 6-3-2017 at 07:10 PM

The Moral to the story - Always check the SPELLING of your messages before you send them!!!

Ooops!

THE TEXT:
Hi Fred, This is Alan next door. I have a confession to
make. I've been riddled with guilt these past few months and
have been trying to get the courage to tell you to your face, but
I am at least now telling you in text, as I can't live with myself a
moment longer without you knowing. The truth is I have been
sharing your wife, day and night when you're not around, in fact,
probably more than you. I haven't been getting it at home recently,
but that's no excuse, I know. The temptation was just too much.
I can no longer live with the guilt and I hope you will accept my
sincerest apologies and forgive me. It won't happen again. Please
suggest a fee for usage and I'll pay you.
Regards, Alan

THE RESPONSE: Fred, feeling insulted and betrayed, grabbed his
gun, and shot his neighbor dead. He returned home where he poured
himself a stiff drink and sat down on the sofa. He took out his
phone where he saw he had a second message from his neighbor:

THE SECOND MESSAGE: Hi Fred, This is Alan next door again.
Sorry about the typo on my last text. I expect you figured it out anyway,
and that you noticed that darned Auto-Correct changed 'WiFi' to 'Wife.'
Technology, hey?
Regards, Alan

Barry A. - 6-3-2017 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

As often is the case, some make vast generalities that often are simply not on target. I have one son that is an Attorney, has held a job as the Legislative Attorney for a small Island Country in the Pacific, etc. but can't spell worth a darn yet he writes prolifically (thank Gawd for spell-check), yet seldom reads for recreation anymore. Another son has no College, seldom reads books, is self-employed making scads of money as an IT Consultant/Contractor for various Corporations, yet writes and spells beautifully. Go figure. We all have different skills, different interests, and different priorities.

CaboMagic - 6-3-2017 at 08:11 PM

Nice to see a few of the 'more mature' posters [said with the utmost of respect - I promise!!!!]

I found this somewhere sometime ago .. kept it cause I think its darn funny .. hope someone else gets a good laugh from it .

Fun reeding these posts :bounce:

punctuation matters.jpg - 32kB

what am I doing wrong ?

CaboMagic - 6-3-2017 at 08:13 PM

Not sure why the photo wont insert --- and I was so proud of myself for finally learning how to post photos!!!

punctuation matters.jpg - 32kB

redhilltown - 6-3-2017 at 11:16 PM

Puertocitos

DavidT - 6-4-2017 at 07:20 AM

Alphonsina's

In Spanish you don't use the letter f to make the f sound.

Timo1 - 6-4-2017 at 07:41 AM

Whatever you say Jefe

SFandH - 6-4-2017 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  

Alphonsina's

sure you do

feo, fiscal, firma, filosofía, sofá, etc.

mtgoat666 - 6-4-2017 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  

Alphonsina's

Open a Spanish dictionary and look at the words that start with F. Ask a 6 year old to pronounce the words for you. Please report back hear with the sounds you hear. Did you hear an "f" sound?

DavidT - 6-4-2017 at 10:12 AM

Alternative facts

There is a palm tree in Baja which proves climate change is a lie, therefore you do not use the letter f in Spanish to make the f sound.

Sarcasm? I address that in my tag line:biggrin:

motoged - 6-4-2017 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timo1  
Whatever you say Jefe

Good catch ;)

Paco Facullo - 6-4-2017 at 04:42 PM

When it comes to making logical sense The English language is stupid.
If it weren't fur spell check I'd be a writin like the OPs original post, that I was able to read just as fast as if spelt correctly.

I am far from stupid ( well in some ways we all are )
I am a avid reader and read way more than watch TV , alas spelling is still difficult. It just isn't lodgical. It should be spelled the way it sounds BUT doesn't a lot of the time.
.I belive it was Gallager or Carlin that did an English language skit.
or both.

Cliffy - 6-4-2017 at 05:05 PM

I read somewhere a long time ago that most daily city newspapers were written for the 6th grade level of education and the Wall Street Journal is written to 12th grade level. Maybe by now they have moved down a grade or two?

Basic skills are missing in today's education, reading , writing and arithmetic. Just sit in on some entry level job interviews- kids who can't communicate very well.

As noted, proof reading as opposed to spell check- a big difference.

Spelling and vocabulary in a casual setting? No big deal. Spelling and vocabulary in a more formal setting? All the difference in the world.

+1 for looking up all the words presented in a tome, that you are not familiar with (have at it with this sentence :-) This is a casual forum, correct?

surabi - 6-5-2017 at 12:01 AM

Yeah, doesn't matter if you can spell or use punctuation or grammar correctly in your native language, doesn't matter if you can't do basic math without a calculator, doesn't matter if you don't do your own research, but just take as fact whatever you hear or read, as long as it bolsters your own preconceived ideas, doesn't matter if you bother yourself to learn the language of a country you move to.

Take some selfies, fire off a tweet, welcome to the brave new world.

redhilltown - 6-5-2017 at 12:18 AM

Portecitos!!!!!!!!

David K - 6-5-2017 at 04:58 AM

Santa Ynes or Santa Inez rather than the founder's Santa Ynez or grammatical Santa Inés. LOL

David K - 6-5-2017 at 05:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Portecitos!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a red wine from Lisbon! ;)

Barry A. - 6-5-2017 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Yeah, doesn't matter if you can spell or use punctuation or grammar correctly in your native language, doesn't matter if you can't do basic math without a calculator, doesn't matter if you don't do your own research, but just take as fact whatever you hear or read, as long as it bolsters your own preconceived ideas, doesn't matter if you bother yourself to learn the language of a country you move to.

Take some selfies, fire off a tweet, welcome to the brave new world.

LIKE!!!! Well said! Kudos Excellent

Osprey - 6-5-2017 at 07:18 AM

Surabi, I don't see anything brave about your world. I'll stay in mine where arts, science, philosophy, engineering live and thrive to make life worth living -- it all begins with the language of the discipline and if you can't start there, where would be a better place to start?

surabi - 6-5-2017 at 08:34 AM

Surabi, I don't see anything brave about your world. I'll stay in mine where arts, science, philosophy, engineering live and thrive to make life worth living -- it all begins with the language of the discipline and if you can't start there, where would be a better place to start?

Osprey, I was being sarcastic.

Osprey - 6-5-2017 at 12:07 PM

Must have hit the mark because your joke sounded like a few of my gringo neighbors. I'm guilty of the language thing myself in a way but I speak almost perfect Pueblo --- I listen to how my Mexican neighbors speak and I echo that, best I can. Many of them can't read a Mexican newspaper but they are hardworking fishermen and farmers and laborers and their language is simple, like their lives.

I pay particular attention to non-verbal stuff and I do that too. It's their texting and they have been doing it since the first pilgrim arrived eons ago.

Comes natural to me now. Some newby gringo gets into a long diatribe about "what's wrong with Mexico" and I find myself totally focused on something interesting as hell just an inch from my big toe in the dirt of the street.

BajaTed - 6-5-2017 at 12:43 PM

My KISS hypothesis:
Live like your gonna die tomorrow and learn as if you were to live forever

DENNIS - 6-5-2017 at 12:57 PM

[rquote]=1082137&tid=86733&author=David K
Sounds like a red wine from Lisbon! ;)[/rquote]

WOW...Now Lisbons have their own approved wine.
The ldgerthpvi7m$ community has come a long way.:lol:

[Edited on 6-5-2017 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 6-5-2017 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
When it comes to making logical sense or both.

logical sense is redundant.

AKgringo - 6-5-2017 at 01:14 PM

And common sense is becoming an oxymarooon!

Edit; That is the Bugs Bunny auto-correct spelling, not mine!

[Edited on 6-5-2017 by AKgringo]