BajaNomad

San Juanico North Road Directions?

Beagle - 6-4-2017 at 08:31 AM

I've been using all of the search features here and still no luck. Can anyone point me towards some reasonably detailed North Road directions to Scorps? Leaving in a week. Will have Tacoma 4x4. I feel like there was some posts here before that were really good with directions. :?:

Thanks!

TMW - 6-4-2017 at 11:35 AM

From San Ignacio follow the directions to the Laguna. The road is paved for 20+ miles then turn into a graded road. At or about 30 miles there is a sign on the left side, turn left and follow the most used road. After about 4 miles the road comes to a Y go right. There are other roads along the way and most will work. The most used road means more people use it. Anyway the road will take you across several mud flats to El Datil a fishing village. At the south end go left and follow the most used road again. After crossing several mud flats the road turns east and will join the main graded road to San Juanico.

Note: There are some sandy areas before and after El Datil but nothing to be worried about specially since you have a 4x4.

Stay out of any water or you will be there a very long time.

If you need GPS coordinates for the turns I can provide that.

Beagle - 6-4-2017 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
From San Ignacio follow the directions to the Laguna. The road is paved for 20+ miles then turn into a graded road. At or about 30 miles there is a sign on the left side, turn left and follow the most used road. After about 4 miles the road comes to a Y go right. There are other roads along the way and most will work. The most used road means more people use it. Anyway the road will take you across several mud flats to El Datil a fishing village. At the south end go left and follow the most used road again. After crossing several mud flats the road turns east and will join the main graded road to San Juanico.

Note: There are some sandy areas before and after El Datil but nothing to be worried about specially since you have a 4x4.

Stay out of any water or you will be there a very long time.

If you need GPS coordinates for the turns I can provide that.

Thanks, TMW! Appreciate you taking the time to provide that!

Edit: We don't have a GPS yet so no thanks on that part. :)

[Edited on 6-4-2017 by Beagle]

AKgringo - 6-4-2017 at 02:52 PM

In 2014, the Baja1k used that route. I was following the most used road across the salt flats, supplemented by course markers every once in a while.

There were two water crossings that year that were unavoidable, and the correct route was obscured by drifting sand from a stiff on-shore wind.

The most obvious track was left by pre-runners falling for the same hidden road trick that got me. I made it out, but got stuck in sand twice trying to find a way around a bog that no Kia should ever be in!

If I had gotten out of my rig and checked it out on foot first, I would never have gone that way!

There was also a local produce truck on his way to El Datil that was fooled by the tracks. I spent two hours helping them get back on the road.

woody with a view - 6-4-2017 at 03:47 PM

Go during the minor tides!

AguaDulce - 6-4-2017 at 04:00 PM

go slow and watch what you are doing. You can get stuck easily as as I have. The route changes alot. Beautiful out there. This topic wont turn into a bunch of complaining Nomads on their computer keyboards because they have not done this route.

Beagle - 6-4-2017 at 04:05 PM

Thanks, Yeah we are looking forward to it. Want to take it slow and try to enjoy it. But we also want to get there before dark! haha.

From what all I've read, it looks like if I can get to Datil, I will be through the most confusing parts.

Just want to have some written directions and waypoints in the truck with us.

Thanks, everyone!

AKgringo - 6-4-2017 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
This topic wont turn into a bunch of complaining Nomads on their computer keyboards because they have not done this route.

Hey!...I resemble that remark!

By the way, the shovel that I carry (and used) is a long handled, narrow blade like a clam shovel. Just the thing for digging out around the frame or axles!

[Edited on 6-4-2017 by AKgringo]

woody with a view - 6-4-2017 at 04:16 PM

Millions of "adventurers" have laid the track that you'll find perfectly laid for you to flollow! Just pick the correct track.....

Terry28 - 6-4-2017 at 04:46 PM

Well said Grasshopper..........

woody with a view - 6-4-2017 at 05:08 PM

:light: