BajaNomad

Funny Food Story About Chili Peppers

GypsyJan - 6-10-2017 at 07:59 PM

We have two elderly Great Danes who lose their focus on the way out of the house and stop and do their business on the carpet.

I did some research and the Internet told me that dogs don't like the smell of vinegar or the smell of chilies. So I bought some beautiful fresh habaneros, sliced them and put them in a jar to marinate in a vinegar bath. All went well, even though my Mexican friend was scared at the sight of the chilies and warned me to be "Very careful".

Later, I sliced up an apple with the same knife, which I had washed carefully and when I gave the apple to my husband, he said, "Whoa, this is spicy!"

But, he did eat it.

[Edited on 6-12-2017 by GypsyJan]

AKgringo - 6-10-2017 at 09:16 PM

A few years ago (quite a few) I was on a chili cook off team at Gas Works Park in Seattle. My job was chopping the chili peppers and onions and other goodies.

Note to self; Wash your hands before using the urinal!

chuckie - 6-11-2017 at 02:35 AM

Good advice! Question? Are ALL hot peppers considered "Chili" peppers?

BajaBlanca - 6-11-2017 at 07:58 AM

a spicy apple would be interesting!

rzitren - 6-11-2017 at 11:38 AM

Years ago my wife was making salsa using her Grandmothers recipe. The recipe called for chili peppers and the other ingredients to be mashed by hand not by blender or food processor. I volunteered to do the job. I, being a mechanic by trade, do not have the cleanest looking hands but when I was done they were lily white with clean fingernails. Everyone said it was the best salsa and wanted to know if there was a secret ingredient.

bajabuddha - 6-11-2017 at 12:59 PM

Double ditto on washing hands AND scrubbing nails with a brush before going #1. It's amazing how good a half-hour cold shower can feel.

In April '96 I and my better half and another couple entered the Mulege Chili Cook-off, and we prepared a Nopalitos Chili Verde using Anaheim peppers roasted and peeled. There were a lot of them, the two mujeres doing the peeling and seeding. When finished their hands were chemically burned by the pepper juices... the cure was a fresh aloe cactus leaf split and the sap/juice applied, relief was almost instantaneous. Yet another homeopathic cure from a local MulegeƱo. Aloe is a miracle plant for many ailments, including digestive disorders.

pauldavidmena - 6-11-2017 at 05:37 PM

The East Coast Grill in Cambridge, MA used to host a "Hotter Than Hell" night every year, featuring extremely spicy cuisine from around the globe. Even the corn bread that was served as a "cooling agent" had some diced habaneros in it. Another note: if the heat brings a tear or two to the eyes, do not attempt to wipe the tears with the same hands that have been touching the spicy food. My son did this and spent some quality time at the kitchen sink with a sympathetic waitress. She received a generous tip at the end of the evening.

pauldavidmena - 6-11-2017 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Good advice! Question? Are ALL hot peppers considered "Chili" peppers?

This Wikipedia article attempts to answer this question, but I'm not sure it does. Personally, I don't consider bell peppers or other sweet peppers to be chili peppers, but YMMV.

BajaMama - 6-12-2017 at 06:33 AM

I now always wear latex gloves when cooking with peppers. Eyes and nose are not fond of the residue...