BajaNomad

Pot hole city

BajaMama - 6-12-2017 at 06:48 AM

Drove back from Punta Chivato June 3-6. In Baja Sur Hwy 1 is in really good shape from Mulege north (was not south of there. One good set of pot holes is on the bridges northbound north of Palo Verde. Once you cross the border into Baja norte, watch out and take it slow. It is pothole city. It clears up some north of Catavina, and when you get into the newly constructed road it is very good.

BTW there are only a few check points left - San Ignacio, north of Jesus Maria, top of bluff north of El Rosario and south of Santo Tomas (could be wrong on location there). I am sure there are more south of Mulege. Surprised me because in October there were a few more.

gsbotanico - 6-12-2017 at 07:54 AM

I believe the check point is north of Santo Tomás and south of Maneadero. This same stretch of highway has a short section of bad potholes not far south of Maneadero. It four lanes wide, but there is no way to make your way through it without hitting a pothole. Cars are weaving alll over the highway to avoid the worst potholes, and even driving on the shoulder. Fortunately the bad portion is only a few miles long, and the rest of the way to Santo Tomás is a smooth, newly rebuilt roadway.

David K - 6-12-2017 at 08:18 AM

Yes, that checkpoint is north of Santo Tomás (Km. 50) by Ejido Uruapan (Km. 41.5) at Km. 37.5.