BajaNomad

Air Ambulance and Evac

bajatom24 - 6-14-2017 at 11:27 AM

Any thoughts on best air ambulance or evacuation services available for Baja travelers. I am sure this has been answered many times but I've been unable to find a thread with this info. Thanks all.

Alm - 6-14-2017 at 12:49 PM

"Baja travelers"? Like a tourist trip? Most travel insurances will include an evac.

shari - 6-14-2017 at 01:43 PM

a word of advice from me who has arranged a few medivacs over the years...it is best to charter a plane wherever you are instead of waiting for a medi vac to get organized which in our area is impossible to carry out the same day. Your medivac insurance will be happy too as it is cheaper than sending the plane from the states...but you have to pay the flight usually first and get reimbursed by your carrier.
Dont waste precious time trying to go through all the hoops you have to jump through to get a plane down.

TMW - 6-14-2017 at 01:52 PM

Sheri, doesn't Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee out of San Diego make the arrangements or hoop jumping as you say. I belong to it as well as DAN but have never used either.

JZ - 6-14-2017 at 02:01 PM

A couple years ago I read a bunch of stuff on here across various threads and went with MedjetAssist. Can't recall all the reasons why, but it looked like the best.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by JZ]

shari - 6-14-2017 at 02:11 PM

oh yeah they arrange it but in order to qualify you have to have a doctor write a medical report and email it to them and the doctor has to order the evac...this can take a long time & lots of phone calls back and forth etc. Then for them to get a plane ready takes a couple hours and by that time it may be too late to land before sunset which in our area is a regulation. Every medivac I tried to arrange ended up not being able to come till the next day...so I opted to arrange a local charter to fly to TJ, the Red Cross is waiting there with an ambulance to go to secondary and an American ambulance waits there for the transfer.

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2017 at 02:28 PM

the drive to the border is 13 hours from mulege...

a couple of years ago a neighbor came over in the afternoon with a broken leg
we had him in his preferred hospital in san diego early the next morning...

sometimes it's faster if you just drive

Alm - 6-14-2017 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
... doesn't Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee out of San Diego make the arrangements or hoop jumping

TIME.

Doesn't matter who makes the arrangements - Binational or evac insurance people, there are requirements to be met and pre-flight paper-work to be done. It takes more than 12 hours from placing a phone call to getting a bed in the US hospital if you are right next to major airport.

Like Bob @Co. noted, driving to the border may take same time if not faster. Air evac are not bush pilots, you have to be near commercial airport.

Not sure it was a legit question though. "Best air ambulance"... for where? for how long trip? Is he looking for a standalone evac plan because isn't happy with the evac included in his travel insurance (and if so, why), or doesn't want to buy any insurance (and if so, why), and so on. IMO, just giving some thought to these details would (mostly) answer his question.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by Alm]

JZ - 6-14-2017 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Air evac are not bush pilots, you have to be near commercial airport.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by Alm]

Not all of them are equal on this front. Medjet "supposedly" doesn't require commercial airports.

bajaguy - 6-14-2017 at 07:34 PM

Depends on where you need to be evacuated from. Some outfits won't/can't fly at night. Don't know if that is company policy or Mexican law. Many won't fly into a dirt strip. I have heard good things about the evacuation insurance from Diver's Alert Network - DAN (you don't have to be a diver to sign up), however I remember reading about one incident where it took almost 8 hours from the call requesting an evac to wheels up with the patient.

rhintransit - 6-15-2017 at 06:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Depends on where you need to be evacuated from. Some outfits won't/can't fly at night. Don't know if that is company policy or Mexican law. Many won't fly into a dirt strip. I have heard good things about the evacuation insurance from Diver's Alert Network - DAN (you don't have to be a diver to sign up), however I remember reading about one incident where it took almost 8 hours from the call requesting an evac to wheels up with the patient.

I heard of one incident here in Loreto where no one would agree to 'open' the local, international airport, at night for an evacuation transport.

BajaBreak - 6-15-2017 at 06:57 AM

The military's no night flying regulation is real. You don't want to get hurt bad in Mexico (of course, like anywhere), but especially not in the afternoon or evening.

shari - 6-15-2017 at 07:06 AM

I remember reading about one incident where it took almost 8 hours from the call requesting an evac to wheels up with the patient.

and that would be on a good day with the stars aligned!
Which is why whenever this issue comes up I hope to save someone's life with the suggestion to immediately arrange a local airline or charter plane instead of wasting time trying to get the medivac...after trying for 4-5 hours to arrange it with no success it may be too late to get a local flight.

Once in Guerrero Negro they got a bunch of people to light up the runway with their car headlights in an emergency.

Pescador - 6-15-2017 at 07:19 AM

I have assisted in four emergency evacuations out of the Santa Rosalia area and Shari is right on with the time evaluations. One we got out from Punta Chivato with a broken leg because there was already a plane on the runway and they were willing to take out a seat so that the patient could lie down and go. The other three took the ambulance from Santa Rosalia to the border and it was around 12 to 13 hours, with attendants where they were met at the border in secondary with a US Ambulance. Cost was about $1200 for the Ambulance and with one, the break was severe and she needed a Doctor to administer pain meds via IVs so she paid the Doctor about $500 for the round trip.

Last year with a stroke victim, we had the person in the ambulance within hours of the stroke, once they knew he was stable, and they made it to the border with no problems, and 97% recovery.

woody with a view - 6-15-2017 at 08:24 AM

Anyone have recommendations on rattlesnake bites? Is antivenom locally available? Try to arrange a charter or just haul ass to the border?

bent-rim - 6-15-2017 at 08:34 AM

AAA Premier Roadside assistance provides $25,000 worldwide evacuation coverage.

SFandH - 6-15-2017 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
I have assisted in four emergency evacuations out of the Santa Rosalia area and Shari is right on with the time evaluations. One we got out from Punta Chivato with a broken leg because there was already a plane on the runway and they were willing to take out a seat so that the patient could lie down and go. The other three took the ambulance from Santa Rosalia to the border and it was around 12 to 13 hours, with attendants where they were met at the border in secondary with a US Ambulance. Cost was about $1200 for the Ambulance and with one, the break was severe and she needed a Doctor to administer pain meds via IVs so she paid the Doctor about $500 for the round trip.

Last year with a stroke victim, we had the person in the ambulance within hours of the stroke, once they knew he was stable, and they made it to the border with no problems, and 97% recovery.

Interesting info, thanks, and the prices certainly seem reasonable.

I'm wondering why the person with the broken leg didn't get it fixed in Santa Rosalia or perhaps Guerrero Negro.

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Medjet "supposedly" doesn't require commercial airports.

From what I hear, Medjet is rather an average service, no better than others. Commercial or not, it has to be a manned "airport", not a dirt runway. Which in Baja makes for a very, very short list. That's why I asked the OP where he is going to travel, and haven't heard a peep.

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I'm wondering why the person with the broken leg didn't get it fixed in Santa Rosalia or perhaps Guerrero Negro.

$500 for a doctor's ride wouldn't break the bank. A little overpriced for Mexico, doctors in public hospitals here are getting that much in a MONTH, though I TAD understand this as prices are jumping up when you're desperate.

$1,200 would be reasonable and even cheap for an air evac. Was it air or exactly an "ambulance to the border"?

I would avoid fixing anything in Sta Rosalia. Small hospital.

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

He got very lucky with 97%.
With a stroke the window of opportunity is hours to get a treatment - not to get into an ambulance. 3 hours for ischemic stroke, after that time the chances of success drop.

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I remember reading about one incident where it took almost 8 hours from the call requesting an evac to wheels up with the patient.

and that would be on a good day with the stars aligned!

A record low time indeed.
One thing to remember about DAN (if it was DAN) is that they won't necessarily whisk you up to the US. As I remember from their Member's Handbook, their obligation is to take you to "closest capable" hospital. Some others give you a choice of a destination hospital.

dizzyspots - 6-15-2017 at 11:55 AM

SPOT satellite messenger also provides (extra cost) $100,000 medevac policy....

pacificobob - 6-15-2017 at 12:02 PM

medevac aircraft have a very bad safety record. many insurance carriers(aircraft insurance) require both pilots be type rated (captain qualified) and often disallow night ops. these rules especially apply to small medevac jets.
when reading posts on this topic i always am waiting for stories of how a helo swooped out of the blue and whisked the injured party to a stateside university medical school hospital. i would agree with the two posters who suggested either driving, or charter locally and hope to be reimbursed by the insurance carrier.

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2017 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
. i would agree with the two posters who suggested either driving, or charter locally and hope to be reimbursed by the insurance carrier.

every situation is different. really depends on the nature of the medical problem, and the location of the patient. helps to first reach out to local medical care -- there is pretty competent medical care available in la paz and ensenada - and most air evac insurers typically wont dispatch a plane until their docs/nurses/case managers have consulted with the local medical provider providing initial care of patient, able to vouch for patient being stable to transport, etc.

what nomad needs is a list of competent clinics in each city, and a list of clinics to avoid (like the predatory facility in Cabo that occasionally fleeces tourists unfortunate to need care in cabo).

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

what nomad needs is a list of competent clinics in each city, and a list of clinics to avoid

... and charters. Giving a yell to your neighbor so that he'll start calling around while you're squirming in pain, and will hopefully find a plane with pilot within 200 miles that is ready to leave like in the incident described earlier by Pescador... Like Dirty Harry says - Do you feel lucky?

About SPOT - they are inexpensive, yes. I only remember something that wasn't quite right, like 69 years eligibility limit (don't see it now), or the requirement to initiate the service through SOS button of SPOT - you can't just make a phone call. Never trusted email-based messaging anyway. At least few times a year have my home emails lost or delayed for several hours.

AKgringo - 6-15-2017 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Anyone have recommendations on rattlesnake bites? Is antivenom locally available? Try to arrange a charter or just haul ass to the border?

I have not been able to find the thread, but I remember reading on this forum about someone getting anti venom from a medic at a military check point.

Anyone else recall that post?

Alm - 6-15-2017 at 08:53 PM

Anyone have recommendations on rattlesnake bites? Is antivenom locally available?

Make a phone call, but I wouldn't count on it. I remember an incident in Vancouver BC, 2 years ago. The guy walked/crawled into emergency, fresh from the airport from Costa Rica. Doctors at that dream retirement destination, with jungles and snakes abundant, were incapable of diagnosing a snake bite. So he was getting worse, and his guts told him "RUN". He got on the plane some 20-30 hours later. Vancouver General Hospital had to airlift antivenom from Seattle WA. Can't blame Canadian system, it's not like Vancouver is in tropics with snakes, but neither is Seattle. Don't know what snake.

woody with a view - 6-16-2017 at 07:19 AM

Make a call to whom? My doctor said haul ass to the closest ER on this side of the border, unless antivenom is known available. 9 hours is a long time to drive with venom coursing thru the veins. I guess there's no other options as phone service in central Baja is not a given.

Edit: not planning on being bitten, I just like to plan ahead.

[Edited on 6-16-2017 by woody with a view]

Pescador - 6-16-2017 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I take it that you have not visited the hospital in Santa Rosalia. We had a woman who had a car accident and they pinned her leg. They are great for fishhooks and pregnancy, but not so good when it comes to pinning a broken leg. In two of the cases, we knew up front that surgery was going to be required, so it was "prudent" to head for the US. One of the things we live with here is the knowledge that in a serious emergency, it may be better to head to the states, Tijuana, or La Paz.

TMW - 6-16-2017 at 12:06 PM

For those interested here is a list of Emergency Air Evacuation companies. I just updated some of the phone numbers. Please feel free to add to it or warn against any of them. I personally have never used any of them nor do I know of anyone who has.

Emergency Air Evacuation Companies
6/16/2017

Air-Evac International (24/7)
Chula Vista, CA, Phone 619-754-6755, Toll Free USA 888-761-2253, Mexico 001-888-276-4052

Air Ambulance Medical Transportation (24/7)
Air and Ground, 800-971-4550, International 001-941-556-6717

Angel Med Flight (24/7)
Scottsdale, AZ 844-798-3788, International 480-634-8017

Advanced Air Ambulance (24/7)
Miami, FL 800-633-3590, International 305-232-7700

Bi-national Emergency Medical Committee (24/7) U.S. and Mexico
Chula Vista, CA 619-425-5080 Note: BEMC helps in the coordination of a medical emergency

Divers Alert Network (DAN) (24/7)
Durham, NC, Emergency Hotline 919-684-9111
Non-emergencies 800-446-2671
Note: You do not need to be a diver to join DAN and use their services

[Edited on 6-17-2017 by TMW]

Alm - 6-16-2017 at 02:01 PM

Make a call to whom? My doctor said haul ass to the closest ER on this side of the border, unless antivenom is known available. 9 hours is a long time to drive with venom coursing thru the veins.

A call to the closest big hospital to find if they have antivenom. La Paz, Ensenada, Tijuana. I wouldn't waste time on Sta Rosalia, their clinic is a joke.

In 9 hours they are more likely to bring you to hospital alive than dead. There are no hard numbers, can take 6 or 60 hours to die.

Alm - 6-16-2017 at 02:25 PM

Good job, TMW.

But let's not forget that if you call a carrier directly, you'll pay $$$ out of pocket. (I doubt it will be as little as $1,200 - Pescador probably meant a ground ambulance). To use an air evac plan, you have to call the contacts in your plan, they will call the carrier after they've received a confirmation from your Dr and don't know what else. It takes forever.

AAA plans

John M - 6-16-2017 at 02:46 PM

From AAA web-sites

Reading it, it sounded pretty good but when I saw the last line it made me wonder how to find out what those "restrictions and limitations" might be.

Travel Assistance AAA Premier members can receive Global Travel Emergency Assistance and Concierge Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—in the United States or internationally—when they are on planned leisure trips 100 miles or more from the AAA Premier member’s primary residence which include at least one overnight stay and are not more than 45 days in duration. These services are available to AAA Premier members and their spouses and unmarried dependent children age 21 or under who are traveling with the AAA Premier member. 24-Hour Global Travel Emergency Assistance* for AAA Premier members includes:
• Medical provider referrals, appointments and admission arrangements
• Emergency translation service arrangements
• Lost tickets and document replacement arrangements
• Prescription replacement arrangements
• Emergency medical transportation arrangements
• Emergency medical visitation arrangements
• Emergency cash transfer arrangements
• Emergency message center service.
The member must purchase AAA Premier service prior to travel departure date in order to use these services. AAA Premier membership benefits include these services, which are service benefits and not financial benefits. Any costs associated with these services are paid by the member. *Allianz Global Assistance Service Company is the licensed producer for this plan. Certain restrictions and limitations apply.

motoged - 6-16-2017 at 03:03 PM

Tom,
Good info....

A previous poster or two made the point that even if the air-evac plane can arrive near the patient....airport rules may well make an immediate departure impossible....sometimes requiring a 12-24 hour turn-around wait.

This happened to friends motorcycling in Russia....three were hit by a dump truck on the wrong side of the road....each had multiple injuries....the air rescue plane arrive within 24 hours but was not allowed to depart until the next day....the guy with a broken neck died on the plane once it was allowed to leave....

So......whatever company anyone buys a plan from should know the fine print as to turn-around conditions and the details of the service provided.

Spot is not always effective:

On a moto ride in the backwoods of BC a few years ago, one guy crashed and was found unconscious and "blue"....after a medic rider performed CPR and revived him, five riders each sent out a SPOT SOS....and the co-ordinates that the helicopter received were inaccurate....and it spent three hours looking for us....it finally found us and was within 15 minutes of needing to return when they landed.

The injured rider had a punctured lung and was giving the death gurgle for 4 hours and need to be held down by three riders.

Punctured lung may have been a result of crash or CPR....rider recovered well-enough......

Insurance gives us a sense of protection....until we try to use it...:rolleyes:

JZ - 6-16-2017 at 03:54 PM

With as many ppl we have on here it's very surprising no one knows which service is best for Baja, where they will land, when they can land, and how long it takes to get there and leave.

[Edited on 6-16-2017 by JZ]

chuckie - 6-16-2017 at 03:59 PM

Jizzy a lot of things on this forum are uprising...

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2017 at 04:47 PM

With as many ppl we have on here it's very surprising no one knows which service is best for Baja, where they will land, when they can land, and how long it takes to get there and leave.

Jizz,
Here are the answers:

which service is best for Baja

it depends

where they will land

that depends

when they can land

it depends

how long it takes to get there and leave.

that depends

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

pacificobob - 6-17-2017 at 07:55 AM

again, no stories of dramatic and timely rescues from remote baja. buying insurance just feels good to some folks.

bajaguy - 6-17-2017 at 08:19 AM

Get stabilized locally, then head north by whatever means

woody with a view - 6-17-2017 at 09:05 AM

Thanks Alm!

mtgoat666 - 6-17-2017 at 09:07 AM

again, no stories of dramatic and timely rescues from remote baja. buying insurance just feels good to some folks.

A friend used air evacuation insurance. Bush plane flight to la Paz hospital, for eval, followed by air ambulance to USA. The insurer did not know local air operators for air evac from unpaved strip, so peeps on the scene refered insurer's case Mgr to aerocalafia, and Bob's your uncle!

It works. But it ain't 911-speed. Takes at least 12 to 18 hours from calling insurer to patient in plane and wheels up, and someone on the scene needs to work the phones and be persistent.

TMW - 6-17-2017 at 09:07 AM

I have only witnessed the help that SCORE has done for both racers and their crews and to civilians injured during a race.

On a personal note, several years ago we were diving at Kennedy's camp across the hills south of La Bufadora. While there a group of college kids and a teacher from Ensenada were also diving. One of the kids had put his spear gun on a rock while he adjusted his wet suit. When he reached for the gun it went off and shot the spear into his thigh. The teacher came to us for help so we pulled a plywood board from my truck and several of us went down to the water and put him on it and brought him up and loaded him in my truck. One kid stayed with the boy in the back of my truck while I drove to Ensenada to a hospital. The teacher showed me where to go. We waited while the doctors removed the spear. They had to cut his thigh open very carefully as not to cut a main artery. All ended well.

I have been told by some that I should not have taken him to the hospital as I did but to let the teacher and his friends do it. I was told I may have gotten in trouble if things didn't go right for the boy. I don't know, at the time our only concern was to get him to a hospital and help.

David K - 6-17-2017 at 09:12 AM

Good for you TW! Thank God that Mexico isn't run by blood sucking lawyers! (yet)

willardguy - 6-17-2017 at 10:06 AM

Jizz,
Here are the answers:

which service is best for Baja

it depends

where they will land

that depends

when they can land

it depends

how long it takes to get there and leave.

that depends

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

what brand of underwear do most nomads choose?

depends:lol:

JZ - 6-17-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I have only witnessed the help that SCORE has done for both racers and their crews and to civilians injured during a race.

On a personal note, several years ago we were diving at Kennedy's camp across the hills south of La Bufadora. While there a group of college kids and a teacher from Ensenada were also diving. One of the kids had put his spear gun on a rock while he adjusted his wet suit. When he reached for the gun it went off and shot the spear into his thigh. The teacher came to us for help so we pulled a plywood board from my truck and several of us went down to the water and put him on it and brought him up and loaded him in my truck. One kid stayed with the boy in the back of my truck while I drove to Ensenada to a hospital. The teacher showed me where to go. We waited while the doctors removed the spear. They had to cut his thigh open very carefully as not to cut a main artery. All ended well.

I have been told by some that I should not have taken him to the hospital as I did but to let the teacher and his friends do it. I was told I may have gotten in trouble if things didn't go right for the boy. I don't know, at the time our only concern was to get him to a hospital and help.

Good for you man. Pretty awesome.

BajaBreak - 6-17-2017 at 04:48 PM

Good on you, TMW. I could see how it could turn out bad, but I don't think I could not help someone in that situation. I'm sure there are some, or many people in this world that could see someone in that situation and not help, just say something like, "Puedo ver que hay in lanza en tu pierna, pero lo siento, necesito ir. Buena suerte con eso mi amigito, adios! Catch you on the flip side..."

I'm glad he was ok so I can laugh without guilt. A spear in the leg is a painful lesson to remember where your weapon is aimed. Ouch! That's got to be a great campfire story!

Alm - 6-17-2017 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
From AAA web-sites

Reading it, it sounded pretty good but when I saw the last line it made me wonder how to find out what those "restrictions and limitations" might be.

Travel Assistance AAA Premier members can receive Global Travel Emergency Assistance and Concierge Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

• Medical provider referrals, appointments and admission arrangements
• Emergency translation service arrangements
• Lost tickets and document replacement arrangements
• Prescription replacement arrangements
• Emergency medical transportation arrangements
• Emergency medical visitation arrangements
• Emergency cash transfer arrangements

Any costs associated with these services are paid by the member. ... Certain restrictions and limitations apply.

John, no need to read all the way to the last line :). Just read the last word of each item on the list - ARRANGEMENTS. They only arrange. You pay $$$. Just like it says in the line that I highlighted.

Alm - 6-17-2017 at 06:07 PM

A friend used air evacuation insurance. Bush plane flight to la Paz hospital, for eval, followed by air ambulance to USA. The insurer did not know local air operators for air evac from unpaved strip

Seems to be a norm. I wonder what evac.

Amigo Pescador here dabbles in certain evac brokering, I see he keeps silence - must be for a good reason. Many of them (most?) won't land in unmanned unpaved strips and won't fly in the night. Fix-winged aircraft with med equipment won't.

BajaBreak - 6-17-2017 at 07:51 PM

It's all about the chopper for serious situations in Baja.

pacificobob - 6-18-2017 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  

bingo! noticed very many medevac helos on the ramps around baja? crickets..

EnsenadaDr - 6-18-2017 at 08:18 AM

Everyone needs to sign up for Seguro Popular and get stabilized first in Mexico as well as have their hospital bills covered by the plan at virtually no additional cost to you. At least no charge in Ensenada regardless of income.

Alm - 6-18-2017 at 01:15 PM

Very few evac plans offer a chopper ride and those plans are expensive.

And then again, - how long it will take to clear it, with insurance reps who know nothing about Baja and think that Aero Calafia is a bush pilot. Want to pay out of pocket - then it will be faster, but at 100-150 mph the flight to you will take 2-3 hours or more, plus another 3 hours to the US, make it 8 hours total because there is still some pre-flight work with any aircraft.

Seguro Popular has little to do with this question. "Stabilize" means keeping you from dying, and Mexican hospitals have a duty to stabilize a patient for free if he is not covered. Will they perform this duty or not - depends on a hospital. With stroke, snake bite, complicated fractures and many other cases there isn't much to stabilize - you need an urgent and competent treatment.

EnsenadaDr - 6-18-2017 at 01:36 PM

Stabilization can be critical in the cases you mention. A snakebite needs anti-venom. Waiting hours to coordinate a flight back to the U.S. wastes precious time. Some hospitals in Mexico do carry anti-venom. Instead of looking to the bigger picture to get flown to another country for treatment, look for the quickest and most often a life-saving one. Instead of waiting hours for treatment, a local hospital might be the answer. And yes, Mexican hospitals might treat a patient, but if they are a private one the patient will be hard pressed to leave without payment. With stroke, a member of this board went to a local Mexican hospital and was given heparin which helped open up the blood supply to the brain. The patient could not move one of his arms. After the initial stabilization treatment with heparin, the patient moved his arm after circulation was restored. They were then taken by ambulance to the United States and had months of physical therapy and is doing quite well. Broken bones also need stabilization, and at times blood transfusions. They will perform the treatment if you have Seguro Popular and go to the local hospital that accepts Seguro Popular.

[Edited on 6-18-2017 by EnsenadaDr]

BajaBreak - 6-18-2017 at 06:15 PM

No, but I know of some private helicopter charter companies in San Diego that do business with some of the folks that run high risk tours down Baja. It's an interesting option to look into, so that if you knew what it cost and how long it would take ahead of time, it could be an option depending on how far across the border you are.

Alm - 6-18-2017 at 06:15 PM

Dr... administering plasminogen (after ischemic stroke) or anti-venom IS a treatment. They probably have all this in Ensenada.

The question is - how to get there from Central or South Baja within a few hours.

Heparin "might" help after stroke, but most likely it won't - randomized trials failed to show much benefit.

[Edited on 6-19-2017 by Alm]

Snake Bites

BajaBreak - 6-18-2017 at 06:36 PM

I purchased a snake bite kit a few years ago and carry it in my car and when I go on trails, though luckily have never had to use it. It would seem worth carrying to at least give you more time to find treatment before croaking.

It is just a couple deep suction cup type things and a small scalpel. If I recall right you just cut an X through the bite and apply the cups. Worth the $5, and good peace of mind if you are alone and don't have a friend to suck the venom out cowboy style, or get bit where no one wants to put their mouth...:lol:

BajaBreak - 6-18-2017 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
It is just a couple deep suction cup type things and a small scalpel.

I carried those (The originals were "Cutter" brand), for many years till I started looking into recent research and decided they weren't worth carrying.

The syringe-type extractors are supposedly more effective but before getting enthusiastic, you might want to read this review.

I kind of had a feeling they may not be very effective, especially if not used immediately after the bite. Luckily I'm out of the high risk age group and typically look where I walk, but it's usually the one you don't see.

But I've also had enough experience with enough doctors to know many have no shame in slandering other treatments or preventative measures to market and promote their services.

Everyone should carry a decent first aid kit though, of course.

Alm - 6-19-2017 at 10:09 AM

Snake-bite pump is of a limited value. It may reduce the amount of venom if used early after bite, but the only real treatment is anti-venom. Use the pump immediately if you have it, and then get to the hospital ASAP.

Here is do's and dont's on rattler bite, with some funny myths busted:
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Rattlesnake-Bite

dizzyspots - 6-19-2017 at 11:26 AM

NO CUT AND SUCK>>>NO SUCTION CUPS>>>NO TOURNIQUETS>>>NO ICE PACKS snake bites are managed by immobilizing the bitten extremity,,,making note of the perimeter of any area of swelling...quick transportation to a facility with anti-venin...oh yeah...do not try to capture the snake...