BajaNomad

Lumber

Phil184 - 6-20-2017 at 11:23 PM

Hello, I know there is some talk on the subject in the forum already but here is a specific question.
Does anyone know if I will be able to buy good pressure treated lumber in the greater La Paz area?

I will be building a very small very simple structure in La Ventana to replace a structure that was destroyed by termites.

I am driving down from the San Francisco Bay area and it seems to me it would me much less hassle if I could by materials down there.

Thanks very much.
Phil

Posted in Home building and Q&A

BigWooo - 6-21-2017 at 05:38 AM

I've checked Home Depot, Los Pinos, and all the lumber yards in Constitucion, and haven't had any luck finding pressure treated lumber. I needed some treated fence posts. I wound up treating them myself with an anti termite product from Sayer Lack. It seems to be working, although it would be a pain to treat enough lumber for a structure.

La Paz does have a warehouse that sells good quality steel studs if you wanted to go that route.

billklaser - 6-21-2017 at 07:04 AM

Phil,
I have used copper sulfate to paint wood framing member, seems to work pretty good. I would recommend concrete block and column construction with metal roof framing. Try metal fence poles instead of wood. Steel studs with cement board on exterior works well also.

RnR - 6-21-2017 at 10:00 AM

Home Depot in La Paz has some pressure treated lumber.

The supply varies greatly depending on whether a shipment has just arrived or whether they are just about to re-order.

Steel studs may be an option if you are not directly on the coast. There are a few buildings currently under construction in La Ventana using steel studs. Behind the Pemex and a few blocks north, there is a rather large house under construction using steel studs/rafters.

Bob and Susan - 6-21-2017 at 11:50 AM

you can order anything...

never treat wood for termites and use it in a house...
that stuff is poison AND it stinks forever

remember metal gets hot in summer and cold in winter
hot metal in summer does NOT cool down

just build for YOUR ownership lifetime...
your construction doesn't have to last forever

use whats available and don't worry about the bugs...
everything gets old and new owners always want to fix stuff anyway

that's why there are so many "home-repair fix-up" tv shows

AKgringo - 6-21-2017 at 11:55 AM

Too bad that redwood is so expensive. It doesn't rot, and bugs don't eat it!

PaulW - 6-21-2017 at 12:51 PM

Southbound with new lumber will result in very high duty.
Used lumber duty is way less.
I recommend buying lumber south of the border and bring your own termite stuff, however the stuff you will want to use for termite protection is widely available throughout Baja.

vandenberg - 6-21-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Too bad that redwood is so expensive. It doesn't rot, and bugs don't eat it!

Those big black hairy wood boring bumble bees apparently don't know this.:biggrin::biggrin::lol:

Phil184 - 6-22-2017 at 12:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided with your help to just buy what I can down there and not haul down a load.

I think this hits the nail on the head pardon the pun:

"just build for YOUR ownership lifetime...
your construction doesn't have to last forever"

anyway thanks again.

Cheers
Phil

BigWooo - 6-23-2017 at 04:38 AM

Good to know they have it. Last time I was there they had none, and the lumber area was a mess and low on everything.

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Home Depot in La Paz has some pressure treated lumber.

The supply varies greatly depending on whether a shipment has just arrived or whether they are just about to re-order.

Steel studs may be an option if you are not directly on the coast. There are a few buildings currently under construction in La Ventana using steel studs. Behind the Pemex and a few blocks north, there is a rather large house under construction using steel studs/rafters.

bajaguy - 6-23-2017 at 07:10 AM

You might check 2 or 3 places in Ensenada on your way south

Quote: Originally posted by Phil184  
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided with your help to just buy what I can down there and not haul down a load.

I think this hits the nail on the head pardon the pun:

"just build for YOUR ownership lifetime...
your construction doesn't have to last forever"

anyway thanks again.

Cheers
Phil

SFandH - 6-23-2017 at 07:53 AM

It's my secondhand experience via friends who have built houses in BCS that most if not all the lumber you need can be bought there, however it may not be in stock and will need to be ordered.

Finding a local carpenter to help with ordering and perhaps the work would go a long way.

bledito - 6-23-2017 at 03:03 PM

root kill at home depot = copper sulfate