BajaNomad

Wave maker coming upstream!

woody with a view - 6-25-2017 at 11:39 AM

Anything named DORA has to be a wave maker:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/news/Tropical-Storm-Dora-Forms...

El Jefe - 6-25-2017 at 12:45 PM

Bring it.

chuckie - 6-25-2017 at 12:47 PM

Woody? Serious question...Is there surfing on the Great lakes? ...I mean, do people go there to surf at all?

woody with a view - 6-25-2017 at 01:21 PM

yes, but it's just a frozen windy mess. mostly locals. when they grow up the head west....

StuckSucks - 6-25-2017 at 03:49 PM

mtgoat666 - 6-25-2017 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
yes, but it's just a frozen windy mess. mostly locals. when they grow up the head west....

I can't speak for all Greta lakes, but have surfed Lake Michigan in summer. Pretty common to get waste high on a windy day, good enough for a boogie board or long board like a SUP that also does the duty on flat days. Pretty short period waves, but it's fresh water, visibility is often far superior to salt water such as west coast, and there are no sharks, so no nagging worries.
SUP is the ticket, easy to thrash the wind chop and get a smile on

chuckie - 6-25-2017 at 04:35 PM

Thanks Goatley...My cousin owns a resort at Port Elgin Ontario..We were there last summer and there was enough break to slide something but saw no one doing it..

shari - 6-25-2017 at 05:44 PM

Atta girl Dora....bring us up some warm water while you are at it!

bledito - 6-25-2017 at 05:47 PM

lotsa skimboarding and sailing goin on on lake Michigan in Chicago

tiotomasbcs - 6-26-2017 at 05:06 PM

Our weather here has warmed up and very comfy w/fans at nite, finally. Water temp around 68 degrees so don't think Dora will com a knockin but rain, yes rain, would be great!! High, tropical clouds. Last South swell had a good angle and threw some beautiful tubular waves our way. Go Dora. Tio

El Jefe - 6-26-2017 at 06:04 PM

After several days of persistent south wind the fickle finger of frio reached around the tip and brought that cold water over to our side. It had been 80+ on the near east cape and now we are in the 60's. Good God! I put a wetsuit on the other day!

This crazy cold water seems to be a regular occurrence in June. But it sure keeps the weather mild.

Ateo - 6-27-2017 at 07:28 AM

June Gloom died yesterday in Oside. It was glassy and fun at the Harbor.

As for Dora, hopefully he/she stalls out there for three weeks and then turns on for my trip. I'm selfish, I know.