BajaNomad

A Modest Proposal

KurtG - 6-29-2017 at 02:36 PM

A suggestion for the board admin: Pick an arbitrary date and make clear that from that point anyone whose posts are primarily composed of negative attacks on other posters will be banned. Perhaps we could get back to being a resource for information rather than a forum for the personal pettiness that seems to prevail these days. Just sayin.

norte - 6-29-2017 at 02:48 PM

Would that include making statements political in nature...like about palm trees, water levels, etc? Maybe all the rules should be enforced for EVERYONE or not at all.

chuckie - 6-29-2017 at 02:51 PM

Old saying. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen..Dont read what you don't like...easy peezy...

bezzell - 6-29-2017 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
A suggestion for the board admin: Pick an arbitrary date and make clear that from that point anyone whose posts are primarily composed of negative attacks on other posters will be banned. Perhaps we could get back to being a resource for information rather than a forum for the personal pettiness that seems to prevail these days. Just sayin.

refuting peer reviewed science b/c you don't have the smarts to understand ... should be banned. (ever notice how the vast majority of 'dem folks are god-fearing. (things that make you go ... hmmm?))

bajabuddha - 6-29-2017 at 03:32 PM

Kumbaya, m'lord... kumbaya :yawn:

mtnpop - 6-29-2017 at 03:35 PM

It's those damn Russians at it again..... Probably gonna have to appoint a special counsel or (prosecutor ?)

Wait, maybe I am on the wrong spot... oh well it the shoe fits......

DanO - 6-29-2017 at 03:37 PM

Truly and objectively offensive posts should be reported to the mods using the report button. That's what it's there for, and it works.

sancho - 6-29-2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

refuting peer reviewed science b/c you don't have the smarts to understand ... should be banned.

Too many good quotes. I don't see an over the top negative
rhetoric tenor here, sure the occasional thumping of the
chest. Nothing that, if one is offended, that scrolling down to
another topic won't alleviate. The inane topics, such as
what Tiger Woods is doing, the run that topic receives
is what I find offensive, but there is room for everyone

[Edited on 6-29-2017 by sancho]

chuckie - 6-29-2017 at 03:48 PM

A dram of 14 year old Macallens don't hurt..

Paco Facullo - 6-29-2017 at 03:59 PM

Sticks and stones.

Sum people are WAY to sensitive.

I'm with Chuckie on this one any old Macallan's whisky....

SFandH - 6-29-2017 at 04:05 PM

I agree!!! How do you think I feel getting beat up upon because I like Coors Light beer. All of these beer snobs with their hopped up boutique beers. Yikes, they're almost as bad as winos who sniff corks. I say ban them all.

bajabuddha - 6-29-2017 at 04:23 PM

Wouldn't it be a wunnerful world if we all believed just like Kurt and another not-to-be-ever-named-again believed? There'd be no worries or FAKE NEWS, huh.

BajaBlanca - 6-29-2017 at 04:58 PM

Well, it seems to me that of late, most folks are not being so rude any more.

Which indeed makes it a pleasure to read any thread.

:biggrin:

acadist - 6-29-2017 at 05:07 PM

I understand the sentiment Kurt

SFandH - 6-29-2017 at 06:01 PM

What are the words that can't be said on bajanomads?

b-tch
N-zi
chit
flock
buttcrack

are there more?

Cliffy - 6-29-2017 at 06:16 PM

All my wine comes in a box. Doesn't everyone's come that way?

KurtG - 6-29-2017 at 06:55 PM

Interesting responses but much as I expected. Please note that I was addressing "negative attacks on other posters." Not anyone's political views or beer preferences. "Negative attack" seems pretty easy to define, at least to me.

Also I had hoped that the title of my post might show my intentions were a little tongue in cheek. My high school English Lit teacher forced me to read Swift's essay of the same title and introduced me to the use of satire.

I like satire.

I don't mean spirited people.

David K - 6-29-2017 at 07:46 PM

Kurt, the OJ will always be cold and ready for you in my ice chest!

Debra (aka Travelpearl), (RIP), had a signature here that read: "Mean People Suck"

I agree! The purpose here was for Baja travelers to exchange travel info and fishing stories with others and be a place where friendships are made. For the most part that has been true on Baja Nomad ever since Doug started this forum in 2002. As with any large 'family', there will be exceptions.

When I was around 15 years younger, I had the energy to host parties where we could meet each other and meet those in the Baja travel world as well a Baja book authors. Word spread and we had off road racers, resort owners, and more come.

Those events were called VIVA BAJA and they did inspire the creation of M's BBBB parties and Keri's Pyramid Resort Book Signing events, I wish a new Nomad would be interested in putting together more such get-togethers. I think they really did a lot of good for all of us to learn more about Baja and each other.

Eric and Earle Robitaille of Amigos de Baja (our perferred forum before Nomad) enthusiastically attended and supported the events, as did Doug 'Baja Nomad'. A place where Baja loving people could meet and become friends was welcomed.

You may still see some faces that are here on Nomad to this day...
Viva Baja #1 (2000): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja/
Viva Baja #2 (2001): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/
Viva Baja #3 (2002): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/
Viva Baja #4 (2003): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja4/

With 'BajaCactus' (Antonio) in Tijuana for Viva Baja Cactus (2006): http://vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/

Will anyone step up a host new Viva Baja style get-togethers?

norte - 6-29-2017 at 07:48 PM

Seems like your post was targeting someone? I don't know about mean spirited people but I sure wonder why, no matter who is involved or what the subject is, one person always seems to be in the middle of it all.

BajaTed - 6-29-2017 at 08:07 PM

Compared to some of the outrageous things I've SEEN in Baja, the word stuff on this forum is relatively mild.

willardguy - 6-29-2017 at 08:48 PM

Interesting responses but much as I expected. Please note that I was addressing "negative attacks on other posters." Not anyone's political views or beer preferences. "Negative attack" seems pretty easy to define, at least to me.

how do feel about "positive attacks"?

elgatoloco - 6-29-2017 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
What are the words that can't be said on bajanomads?

b-tch
N-zi
chit
flock
buttcrack

are there more?

burrohat

norte - 6-29-2017 at 10:33 PM

This was a setup. I just read David's post. He and Kurt are best buds. This was just another attempt at attention. geeze.

David K - 6-29-2017 at 11:25 PM

Norte, it was obvious to most who Kurt was asking some restraint from, I thought? Some here are always thanking Nomads who share here to help or entertain others. Then we see the few who try and chase off newbies as well as oldies with insults.

chuckie - 6-30-2017 at 01:19 AM

"WE" do? Is that the regal "we"?

[Edited on 6-30-2017 by chuckie]

norte - 6-30-2017 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Norte, it was obvious to most who Kurt was asking some restraint from, I thought? Some here are always thanking Nomads who share here to help or entertain others. Then we see the few who try and chase off newbies as well as oldies with insults.

If that is the case, then the request is nothing more than a quest by a few to get someone.

As I look at the various food fights that occur here, there is one thing in common. No matter who the fight is with, or the subject, you seem to be at the center of the squabble. Why is that? Maybe each of the members here at to look in the mirror instead of targeting individuals they do not agree with. Might go a long ways in making this forum better.

woody with a view - 6-30-2017 at 06:27 AM

Group hug!

pacificobob - 6-30-2017 at 07:03 AM

Also I had hoped that the title of my post might show my intentions were a little tongue in cheek. My high school English Lit teacher forced me to read Swift's essay of the same title and introduced me to the use of satire.

I like satire.

I don't mean spirited people.

mean spirited people = old, angry, white guys whose lives just didn't turn out as they had hoped,being tough, with a drink in hand, behind the safety of a keyboard.

chuckie - 6-30-2017 at 07:17 AM

Ya gotta be white?

woody with a view - 6-30-2017 at 07:18 AM

....sitting in mom's basement in their undies.....

Martyman - 6-30-2017 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
"WE" do? Is that the regal "we"?

[Edited on 6-30-2017 by chuckie]

LOL

Cliffy - 6-30-2017 at 08:23 AM

Satire and Subtlety can go hand in hand at times.

KurtG - 6-30-2017 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
This was a setup. I just read David's post. He and Kurt are best buds. This was just another attempt at attention. geeze.

Nope, I have met David once on our Mission Santa Maria trip. I got ill and he and Elizabeth were very helpful, the orange juice reference he made was because they gave me some ice cold OJ from their cooler which at that moment tasted like the elixir of the gods.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from David when it comes to politics, climate change, etc. Those subjects never came up around the campfire.

Last evening this thread got me thinking about the nomads I have met in person. Did a quick count and got up to 25 or so over the years. There isn't a one that I wouldn't enjoy spending more time with. Many are simply outstanding folk. We know the good work many do but there are others behind the scenes who don't seek any credit. Our political, social, and religious views may be different but in person that seems not to matter.

At the entrance of long time friends' house in Baja is a sign that says "Be Nice Or Go Home." I like that.

norte - 6-30-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Nope, I have met David once on our Mission Santa Maria trip. I got ill and he and Elizabeth were very helpful, the orange juice reference he made was because they gave me some ice cold OJ from their cooler which at that moment tasted like the elixir of the gods.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from David when it comes to politics, climate change, etc. Those subjects never came up around the campfire.

Last evening this thread got me thinking about the nomads I have met in person. Did a quick count and got up to 25 or so over the years. There isn't a one that I wouldn't enjoy spending more time with. Many are simply outstanding folk. We know the good work many do but there are others behind the scenes who don't seek any credit. Our political, social, and religious views may be different but in person that seems not to matter.

At the entrance of long time friends' house in Baja is a sign that says "Be Nice Or Go Home." I like that.

Then why all the talk about "banning"? and Davids comment you knew who to get? Isn't that mean spirited enough? No I don't buy it. Like I said...it is time everyone look in the mirror.. now, enough...time for me to clean mine.

kevin_in_idaho - 7-2-2017 at 05:30 AM

A lot of good points and I'll give a relative "newby" perspective. When I signed up for the forum, I almost immediately left because of all the negativity (perceived or not). Since a lot of people don't know who is who on here when they join, they don't know what is intended to be fun, joking, etc. between friends, etc.

If you want the forum to thrive with new people like myself, there needs to be some civility otherwise people won't come back or join in. Multiple view points are great.

I love reading about travels, explorers, places yet to be visited, suggestions, etc. The other stuff, not so much. I've never used the 'report' button and skip those posts that offend me, but it'd be nice to do away with them as they drive others away.

chuckie - 7-2-2017 at 06:19 AM

I think your intentions were noble..BUT to assume that your perception of others posts reflect that they "drive others away" and are "offensive, are the same as others is presumptive. You don't know that those things are true, or that all others share that view. Some do, some don't. Soldier on!

shari - 7-2-2017 at 07:13 AM

I have had the pleasure to spend time with Kurt on his visits here and I can say he is a kind gentleman and I get his point.

I get that people's politics are different as are their characters and healthy discussion of a topic is fine...but for goodness sakes....be nice(and respectful) or go home!!!

If you dont like someone's politics or posts...just dont look at them and dont be mean...simple as that. I am not one for censorship but if I were a moderator I would so jettison the meanies.

Cliffy - 7-2-2017 at 07:19 AM

His post was way more right than wrong!
That stuff does drive new subscribers away rather than welcome them in.
Any list with as many curmudgeons on it as we have here will never get a large following because of "perceived" threats to posting.
Some of us are too old to see the forest for trees in the upcoming younger population. They don't want the coarse discourse or threat there of.

DENNIS - 7-2-2017 at 07:49 AM

An unlikely weekend to be suggesting unbridled censorship.

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-2-2017 at 09:50 AM

surfhat - 7-2-2017 at 11:38 AM

I have never come here daily for years for others political perspective. That goes hand in hand for religion.

This site is all about the love of a place that we all have an enduring respect for and want to preserve from the ravages of those who seek to personally profit off of in some way.

Some can't resist the temptation to insert their brand of beliefs upon others.

It is easy enough to skim over their so predictable retorts when they are called on by some critics. Nobody is going to change anothers' mindset and there is no point in trying. Alternative facts is not an option, and it should not be. Ignoring some posters ingrained positions is the answer. Giving them notice only reinforces them to keep on spouting their misguided viewpoints.

Peace, love and fish tacos to everyone.

woody with a view - 7-2-2017 at 11:54 AM

Well said. Ima gonna enjoy this four day weekend without having to traverse a border, but we'll sure as hell enjoy some Baja jurel that was caught four weeks ago and that keeps it on topic!