BajaNomad

Problems Making Reservation With Baja Ferries

tmtuttle - 7-2-2017 at 10:34 AM

Hello,

First post to site, so thanks in advance for any help.

I'll be spending two or three months in Baja this coming winter ('17 to '18) and at one point will need to make it over to mainland Mexico. I've been trying to make a reservation with Baja Ferries but every time I attempt, it's declined. I called my card company and they tell me the charge is being declined in Mexico and not even making it to their computers. I've tried several cards with the same result.

We called our credit card companies before attempting the charge to notify them of the out of country charge. So it's not on our side.

So, my question, does anyone know if Baja Ferries has an English phone line? I could use my Spanish, but it's not that great and would be much easier to do in English.

Or is there some trick to charging with Baja Ferries online?

Thanks,

T

pacificobob - 7-2-2017 at 11:37 AM

yes, there are generally English speakers available to help with your res. welcome to the forum.

[Edited on 7-2-2017 by pacificobob]

jaymtb - 7-5-2017 at 03:09 PM

Have used ferry many times La Paz/Topo, but never a reservation. It is a REALLY BIG boat. They load countless semi-trailers on it. We usually just show up early at the port for the trip, esp when going to mainland to allow time for a TIP at office in in Pichalingue port building. Ferry tickets are outside in small building near scale/bascula after Migration/Aduana checkpoint. Semana Santa or Christmas could be another story. Never had trouble getting on.
Recently I emailed their La Paz office re a rate quote for a truck and small trailer, with dimensions, and a picture of the rig. They got back within hours by email with a quote. I wrote the email in Spanish with metric dimensions, so that likely made for a faster response.

If going to Baja from Topo, there is an office in Los Mochis which is easier to get tickets than the terminal at Topo. In Sinaloa you would already have a TIP.
Generally someone in office speaks some English.
Depending on where you want to return in US the route up mainland can be a lot shorter thru Nogales.

PM me re more on ferries if needed.
Jay

mazatman - 7-6-2017 at 04:43 AM

I recall my reservation requests being rejected by the online system without any explanation.

It wasn't until I started playing with nearer departure dates that it started to work. I think any departure date further out than 3 or 4 months is automatically rejected.

Buen viaje