BajaNomad

Hy 5

baja Steve - 7-3-2017 at 04:30 PM

Anyone been on Hy 5 in the last couple of days. Are they working and paving? Any new parts open yet.

David K - 7-3-2017 at 04:54 PM

If there was a new section open (and it should have happened by now), this will be the first place to read of it!

Last report, no change since 2014: still at Km. 167.5 (20 kms. or 12 1/2 miles south of the Pemex at Gonzaga), despite a Km. 170 marker where the Km. 167 belongs, lol!

That means about 23 unpaved miles still to Hwy. 1.

See the Nomad ROAD CONDITIONS forum, and the video recently posted by StuckSucks: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86807

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by David K]

rts551 - 7-3-2017 at 06:17 PM

report from 29 June (as well as many others) over on Talk Baja. They are working. No new sections open yet.

El Jefe - 7-3-2017 at 06:35 PM

Drove it Thursday. No significant change as of yet. I did manage to sneak onto about a kilometer of new pavement that wasn't really opened yet on the far east end.

I'm just wondering if after they finally open up the new road they will go to work on Vadolandia south of San Felipe.

carlosg - 7-3-2017 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Drove it Thursday. No significant change as of yet. I did manage to sneak onto about a kilometer of new pavement that wasn't really opened yet on the far east end.

I'm just wondering if after they finally open up the new road they will go to work on Vadolandia south of San Felipe.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.....:biggrin: ... we're on our way to Punta Bufeo for a couple of days of sunshine and WARM weather in a couple of days....:bounce:

[Edited on 7-4-2017 by carlosg]

David K - 7-3-2017 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  

The word from the engineer we heard here (maybe from TW?) was once the Gonzaga-Chapala section was done they would begin on the new San Felipe-Puertecitos expressway...

It will bypass San Felipe by continuing south from where the road now curves from south to east (west of the arches)... and basically stay inland as did the pre-1983 Puertecitos road that went through the sulfur mine and merges with the existing highway near the Campo Cristina road.

The current 'vadolandia' highway will continue to serve the South Campos but my guess is it will go to hell in short order and new or regraded roads inland to the new highway will again be the way in and out.

StuckSucks - 7-4-2017 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
bypass San Felipe by continuing south from where the road now curves from south to east (west of the arches)... and basically stay inland as did the pre-1983 Puertecitos road that went through the sulfur mine and merges with the existing highway near the Campo Cristina road.

So roughly following the old Puertecitos Road alignment?

David K - 7-4-2017 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
bypass San Felipe by continuing south from where the road now curves from south to east (west of the arches)... and basically stay inland as did the pre-1983 Puertecitos road that went through the sulfur mine and merges with the existing highway near the Campo Cristina road.

So roughly following the old Puertecitos Road alignment?

That was the word. They anticipate heavy truck use so it will be nice and more direct plus keep the highway noise away from the beach and homes.

As long as it is taking them to do the current ~80 miles of Hwy. 5 south of Puertecitos (2007-2019??), I don't think I will be alive to see this happen?

[Edited on 7-4-2017 by David K]