BajaNomad

DEP Captain Ron Vetterli

bajabuddha - 7-6-2017 at 04:09 PM

Yes, this is THIRD-HAND knowledge; a friend heard from another friend who read it on facebook (so crucify me) that an old-time OG Baja bum has passed away. He hung out all over Baja, drove an old pick-em-up with a camper, aluminum boat and an old dawg or two... hung out at San Lucas Cove (where I knew him from)... all was said is that he passed, no further info. Any knowledge would be appreciated; he was definitely old-school, marched to his own drummer. I'm sure he will be missed.

[Edited on 7-7-2017 by bajabuddha]

SFandH - 7-6-2017 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

He hung out all over Baja, drove an old pick-em-up with a camper, aluminum boat and an old dawg or two...

Jeez, reminds me of me.

Sorry about your friend.

azucena - 7-6-2017 at 04:28 PM

You are correct. He passed in his sleep in Oregon on the river.

He will be missed by all the folks at Los Frailles and San Lucas Cove.

Capt. Ron, as he was known in Frailles was old school, loved loved to fish and had a heart of gold

bajabuddha - 7-6-2017 at 04:30 PM

Thank you, azucena. May he have wind in his sails and a bend in his rod (pun intended). Any knowledge of how he got his "Captain" title? Never heard it or his last name.

BB.

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by bajabuddha]

Pescador - 7-7-2017 at 08:28 AM

His name was Ron Vetterli, He liked the Name Captain Ron from the Movie "Captain Ron", played by Kurt Russell. Ron thought that persona would be his goal. Oh, but another character that showed up at San Lucas Cove.

Cancamo - 7-8-2017 at 12:32 PM

Ron will be dearly missed. He was the real deal, Santa Cruz surfer then US Coast Guard veteran spent most of his time on, in or near the water. Pretty much fished every day possible whether SOB or Rogue River, and commercial offshore, Oregon, Hawaii, etc.... This spring he made the rounds hooking up with his grand daughter for some surf at San Juanico, then visiting his Mom, then, to Tahiti to visit his brother. He knew how to fill his calendar, he has been an inspiration and a dear friend to me. As Azucena noted, he had a huge heart.
Captain was old school Baja, knew the ropes, how to be comfortable and happy and get after it on and in the water without depending on anybody.
Truly a profound loss." Love you brother" was the last thing he said to me as he always ended his communications.
Love you too Cappy!

DENNIS - 7-8-2017 at 12:39 PM

Thoughtful eulogy, Cancamo. Thank you.

sancho - 7-8-2017 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Thoughtful eulogy, Cancamo. Thank you.

Ditto what D posted. Seldom here are heartfelt sincere
feelings expressed. Love those old school guys, as often
as not, the slide in truck camper w/tin boat, a
vanishing breed

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-8-2017 at 06:48 PM