BajaNomad

Flickr Test

David K - 7-8-2017 at 07:11 PM

So, if Photobucket crashes... a zillion maps and photos will vanish, many of them being mine!

Imgur was mentioned, but that didn't have sizing and other features.

I saw that one Nomad who has posted beautiful photos used Flickr. So, I am experimenting...

1974 photos from my trip to Baja when I was 16 (where else would I drive my dune buggy when I got my license?!).

Mission San Fernando and nearby petroglyphs.

The black sides are from my end, these were slides converted to digital.

The BB Code is a link that works here, but contains a lot of extra stuff, like Flickr add, my name, etc. I just cut that off leaving the IMG tabs and line, only.

and last month... 2017 (Photobucket):

Of course camera, lighting, etc. can change the look, but otherwise, I am old enough now to see 43 years change at the same location.

OK, so it works, I found where to set the size to 800 pixels, but there is some effort to remove the excess code. I have asked for some advice.

JZ - 7-9-2017 at 03:32 AM

You shouldnt be using photobucket to back up any photos. Its pretty good for hosting for BB, but its dogchit as a cloud backup source.

Google Photos is the best for that. Out of 10 it's a 10 and Phitobucket is a 2. The feature set is immensely different.

David K - 7-9-2017 at 06:15 AM

I use Photobucket solely to share photos and maps on forums, like Baja Nomad.

norte - 7-9-2017 at 07:54 AM

Most people back-up on the cloud or even more secure a flash drive.

David K - 7-9-2017 at 08:39 AM

Yes, as do I. I just don't use Photobucket as the backup... which was my reply to JZ.

wiltonh - 7-9-2017 at 09:33 AM

A few years go I was working as an electrical engineer and we had a meeting with a major flash supplier. During that meeting they told us that they did not consider flash as a long term storage medium. It may be better today but I doubt it.

I use a mixture of cloud backup and hard drives. CD and DVDs are an option also but at that time they recommended copying them over about every 10 years.

rts551 - 7-9-2017 at 11:29 AM

Flash drives are good for 3-5000 write cycles and 5-10 years. Sounds OK to me.

BajaMama - 7-12-2017 at 05:09 AM

I have a separate hard drive for photo storage...hopefully it will work with technology in the decades to come...

acadist - 7-12-2017 at 06:01 AM

My Polaroids faded :biggrin:

acadist - 7-12-2017 at 06:05 AM

Sorry, that was really a quick test to see if my avatar on Photobucket was working. I only have a few photos on there, the pics that I have shared here on Nomads over the years. Maybe I don't use it enough for the to ever care about me?

David K - 7-12-2017 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by acadist  
Sorry, that was really a quick test to see if my avatar on Photobucket was working. I only have a few photos on there, the pics that I have shared here on Nomads over the years. Maybe I don't use it enough for the to ever care about me?

Still no problem for me, and I have a pay account (no ads and larger storage space)... It is now $34.95/ year. I still am trying to figure out how to work with Flickr, just in case the worst happens.

SFandH - 7-12-2017 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I have a separate hard drive for photo storage...hopefully it will work with technology in the decades to come...

About a month ago I plugged in a USB external drive that had files on it from about 10 years ago. An extensive MP3 collection made during the Napster days.

The drive had been in my desk drawer, unused for years. It didn't spin up, it died while lying peacefully in the drawer. Perhaps I should have exercised it more.

The cloud is probably the best for long term storage.

David K - 7-12-2017 at 08:32 AM

Take it to a computer repair place... Don't lose your photos, they can't be replaced!

David K - 8-22-2017 at 10:28 AM

For those who lost the free Photobucket use, here is a photo imaging and no hassle sizing for Nomad site: https://postimages.org/