BajaNomad

boycot photobucket

joerover - 7-14-2017 at 01:09 PM

Years ago I got the idea from one nomad or another to use photobucket as a host for posting photos in forums.

Now photbucket is asking me for $39.95 a month. 0% chance i will pay to post pictures in a post. They have the most popups and rudest adds.

What is the new way to host photos and post them in your posts?

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by BajaNomad]

BajaBlanca - 7-14-2017 at 01:34 PM

I am now using a free online photo resizer. Once down sized, I save it to my laptop and then browse and paste to bajanomad.

http://picresize.com/

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by BajaBlanca]

chuckie - 7-14-2017 at 02:25 PM

That's a laugh..They have all your stuff, and you are going to boycott them....Give it up and move on..

AKgringo - 7-14-2017 at 08:21 PM

I noticed that on other threads, the avatar photo has been replaced by the same notice to upgrade the account.

What it does then, is cause the author column to take up about a third of the normal sized display. Time to delete the avatar, or upgrade.

TMW - 7-14-2017 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
That's a laugh..They have all your stuff, and you are going to boycott them....Give it up and move on..

I have all my pictures on my cameras chip as well as on my PC and a flash drive. I can drop photobucket anytime.

David K - 7-15-2017 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I have all my pictures on my cameras chip as well as on my PC and a flash drive. I can drop photobucket anytime.

Exactly, people don't use Photobucket to safely store photos (do they?)! It is more of a hosting site for you to easily share photos with others, and edit them, etc. All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes. I share my maps and photos on other forums too and with Photobucket resizing them to 800 pixels and keeping the file space on their site (so no worry about Nomad's 250 kb limit), it was a win-win.

In any case, anything can vanish... and between Flickr, Imgur, and whatever else is out there, we will get by. It will be a bummer to have all the trip reports lose the photos and maps, however. Nothing lasts forever, someone says.

willardguy - 7-15-2017 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes.

Which is hopefully off-site? Religious backups don't do much good when a home fire or other disaster destroys everything in your house.

Current portable drives are small enough to fit into a bank safe deposit box. :light:

google photos......every photo backed up automatically for free!:yes:

JZ - 7-15-2017 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

You should be using something like Google Photo's. It backs them up automatically anytime you are on Wi-Fi.

The organizational and sharing features are top shelf. Sorting by facial recognition, super fast and efficient album creation, built in photo editor, etc.

Best photo/video hosting service by a mile.

Also, pops up Rediscover the Day messages periodically linking to old albums, which is really, really cool. Couldn't imagine why ppl aren't using it.

I still use PB to host to 3rd party sites. Google Photos let's you upload direct from there to PB.

Example of Rediscover the Day:

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by JZ]

JZ - 7-15-2017 at 12:56 PM

All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes.

Which is hopefully off-site? Religious backups don't do much good when a home fire or other disaster destroys everything in your house.

Current portable drives are small enough to fit into a bank safe deposit box. :light:

-
Google Photos bro. You can access 50+ years worth of photos on your phone in seconds. Remember a thanksgiving memory from 1974, pull it up in seconds.

Apple has it too, but Google is better.

JZ - 7-15-2017 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Google Photos bro.

No thanks.

I have watched Google closely from their outset. I admire the company-- a lot-- both for their technology and business model.

But I have no illusions that they are my friend.

Smh at how stubborn and resistant to tech some ppl are. Big mistake.

DanO - 7-15-2017 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

-
Google Photos bro. You can access 50+ years worth of photos on your phone in seconds. Remember a thanksgiving memory from 1974, pull it up in seconds.

Apple has it too, but Google is better.

Totally agree. You can access your photos instantly on your phone, tablet or computer. Synchs automatically.

Marc - 7-15-2017 at 02:15 PM

I post this image right of my desk top. You may see that I no longer have an avatar.

sized down .JPG - 113kB
Campo Naranjo April 2017

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Marc]

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Marc]

Bubba - 7-15-2017 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

Years ago I got the idea from one nomad or another to use photobucket as a host for posting photos in forums.

Now photbucket is asking me for $39.95 a month. 0% chance i will pay to post pictures in a post. They have the most popups and rudest adds.

Here's an idea, ask for a refund, bwahahaha! I'm sure you have "used" photo bucket for yrs and haven't paid a dime, correct? Disclaimer, a very close friend owns photo bucket and has for yrs, 15-16? He lost money and struggled for a very long time. Please don't bash the site in a public forum just because you want to continue and ride a free gravy train. Thanks!

JZ - 7-15-2017 at 09:34 PM

Google Photos Test, 4 attempts:

NOPE... none of the image links Google provides wants to open here.

Any help from you Google users would be welcomed.

It's for photo backup of your entire album, not 3rd partying hosting to sites.

It is literally 100x better at photo backup, organization, albums, etc. than FB.

For 3rd party hosting to boards, it allows you to directly upload to FB.

For someone that likes to pull up old photos fast, it's crazy that you don't have a Google Photos account with all your stuff.

SFandH - 7-16-2017 at 06:16 AM

I am looking for photo hosting so my saved images can be shared, enjoyed, utilized by others who see them on forums.

Apparently, photo hosting sites are not interested in acting as content servers for other websites, for free.

You could use vivabaja.com to store photos you want to display on message boards.

From your server by linking to the photo:

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by SFandH]

TMW - 7-16-2017 at 09:53 AM

I have an odd thing happening with photobucket. When I try to choose a picture or image from my document file on my pc thru photobucket the document file only shows the 25 folder files I have not the single files, if that makes sense. If I type the single file name it will come up most of the time but not always.

I think it is a windows 10 thing. I don't have that problem with either of my laptops which are windows 7. Did I tell you I hate windows 10 for many reasons.

del mar - 7-16-2017 at 10:15 AM

no mas ventanas....chromebook! ;)

David K - 7-16-2017 at 10:55 AM

My website is only modified by my web manager, who speaks html. He fears I could mess up the page, so I do not dare add to it. I wish it was as easy as using it to store photos.

"Web manager"? :lol:

It is as easy: If he's worried about you messing up "your" site, have him create a dedicated directory for your photos apart from the other site content, and only permit you access to that directory (and any subdirectories thereof).

Assuming you're already paying for the hosting on that server and have adequate space and bandwidth allowances, it's silly not to use it for this purpose. :rolleyes:

Edit: typo

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by lencho]

I will send him your message. Thanks.

JZ - 7-16-2017 at 12:11 PM

I will send him your message. Thanks.

You need to fire them asap. I've looked through your sites and they are 90's format. You can redo them yourself in an afternoon using Squarespace and have a nice modern, clean look.

chippy - 7-16-2017 at 01:06 PM

google photos test.

No worky ? Help JZ!

How do I get the photo not a link to show here?

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by chippy]

SFandH - 7-16-2017 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
google photos test.

No worky ? Help JZ!

I don't think you can get a google hosted photo to display on this site. I tried to no avail.

Anybody?

SFandH - 7-16-2017 at 02:01 PM

I just uploaded this image using the site below, easy, easy, easy. You can choose the size and an expiration date if desired. No account needed, just upload and copy the url.

https://postimages.org/

JZ - 7-16-2017 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
google photos test.

No worky ? Help JZ!

I don't think you can get a google hosted photo to display on this site. I tried to no avail.

Anybody?

I only use Google Photos for backup not 3rd party hosting.

That said, per Google, once you get the link you can add either ?.jpg or -tmp.jpg to the end of it and it will host to forums. I just tried it and couldn't get it to work yet. But I've seen sites say that it does in fact work.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/photos/TSi-VTdE...

chippy - 7-16-2017 at 02:52 PM

Thanks for trying.

chippy - 7-16-2017 at 03:04 PM

postimg.org

test

YES! Very easy even with my bad skills. Thanks for the link!

[Edited on 7-17-2017 by BajaNomad]

chippy - 7-16-2017 at 03:07 PM

I just uploaded this image using the site below, easy, easy, easy. You can choose the size and an expiration date if desired. No account needed, just upload and copy the url.

It doesn´t want to work for me.:( The internet hates me.

Got it and it is easy thanks sfandh!

chippy - 7-16-2017 at 03:14 PM

Size test-

CampfiresAndConcierges - 7-17-2017 at 11:55 AM

I've been using Smugmug for about 7 years. It's $40/year, but I also host photos there for my website/blog and have been very happy with the low annual fee.

shari - 7-17-2017 at 12:10 PM

nice sunset last night

Whoa I really like the idea of Postimage....super fast and easy. I dont need photo storage...pretty much just for this site and my website I need urls for so...thanks so much for the tip

nice sunset last night

postimg.org test, set at 800 pixels

David K - 7-17-2017 at 12:17 PM

TW's Tacoma on Basketball Hill, The 1942 Poleline Road.

Wow, I think this may be a winner?

They provide lots of links for different uses.
For Nomad use: Hotlink for forums:

Test 2

David K - 7-17-2017 at 12:22 PM

I tried a very large file map image, and it was too big... So, there are limits. Not a problem.

One more try from the WWII Poleline Road trip:

Test 3 (last test)

David K - 7-17-2017 at 12:30 PM

I think we may have a winner!

Set the size (remember Nomad max is 800). They also have avatar size choice.

Thanks SF&H for the link!

chippy - 7-17-2017 at 01:41 PM

last size test

David K - 7-17-2017 at 04:13 PM

I don't see any selection called "Large", but yours seems to be the "Forum" (640 pixels) setting?
I have mine at the next one larger, "15" Monitor" (800-pixel) setting.
Either way, works nice and does not mess the page up and require editing by BajaNomad to fit here.

JZ - 7-17-2017 at 04:41 PM

I don't see any selection called "Large", but yours seems to be the "Forum" (640 pixels) setting?
I have mine at the next one larger, "15" Monitor" (800-pixel) setting.
Either way, works nice and does not mess the page up and require editing by BajaNomad to fit here.

You either need a bigger monitor or glasses so you don't blow out the zoom on your monitor.

No other explanation is possible for your multi-year obsession on this point.

David K - 7-17-2017 at 04:48 PM

JZ, you are failing to understand or ever notice how Doug has to follow your photo posts and size them correctly.

You use Photobucket and have not bothered to click on the 800-pixel upload option.

See the "edited by BajaNomad" lines below many of your 1200+ pixel-wide images. Editing your photos with [img=800x600 ] in the opening tag is how to do it.

This is a NOMAD size on the Internet and has NOTHING to do with me, my monitor, or anything other than the frame width on the Internet as chosen by Doug (and most other forums, by-the-way). The difference is other forums automatically resize the too big images.

joerover - 7-17-2017 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Here's an idea, ask for a refund, bwahahaha! I'm sure you have "used" photo bucket for yrs and haven't paid a dime, correct? Disclaimer, a very close friend owns photo bucket and has for yrs, 15-16? He lost money and struggled for a very long time. Please don't bash the site in a public forum just because you want to continue and ride a free gravy train. Thanks!

your friend has the most obnoxious pop up adds for miles around.
photobucket is no good for photo storage because of the low resolution photos. Only enough pixels to post on the web. Is your friend sick or something? Why the knife in the back to all the users?

joerover - 7-18-2017 at 01:33 PM

Do not expire?
Should we start using this site to help tell a story in our posts?

joerover - 7-18-2017 at 01:38 PM

Why the knife in the back to all the users?

All which users? Pardon my ignorance (I don't believe there's such thing as "free" hosting sites and don't use them); do paying accounts also display those obnoxious ads you complain about?

It is not free.
like television, you suffer through commercial advertisements.
The boycot photobucket site has some of the nasty-est headache style adds.
Commercial advertisements generate millions in revenue, if you know how to get people on your site. If you repulse people with your adds, you get less money.

joerover - 7-18-2017 at 03:26 PM

looks like the pyramids lasted longer than boycott photobucket

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We have been traversing Mexico City daily by subway - cheap at 5 pesos, it will take you clear across town to wherever you might want to go. Quiet. Fast. and Pretty!

joerover - 7-18-2017 at 04:00 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=photobucket+sucks&rlz=1C...