BajaNomad

Not exactly Baja but Monarch Butterfly trip?

kevin_in_idaho - 7-18-2017 at 04:51 AM

If this is isn't an appropriate spot to ask I will delete it (or moderators can) but has anyone driven down into Mexico to see the Monarch Butterfly migration via Copper Canyon? Any input, suggestions, etc.? Planning for 2018.

Thanks,

Kevin

Remembered this:

Don Jorge - 7-18-2017 at 08:16 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83578#pid1042...

chippy - 7-18-2017 at 08:23 AM

I have done both but seperate trips. Best time for CC is oct.nov. drive to El Fuerte and take the train. Best time for Monarchs is feb.Drive to Ocampo or Angangeo (there are a few more)and check em out. They are both fantastic!

kevin_in_idaho - 7-18-2017 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I have done both but seperate trips. Best time for CC is oct.nov. drive to El Fuerte and take the train. Best time for Monarchs is feb.Drive to Ocampo or Angangeo (there are a few more)and check em out. They are both fantastic!

How is the drive down? Any issues? Easier or more difficult compared to Baja? I'd also have to figure out if there's the same diesel "issues" in Mexico for ULSD.

chippy - 7-18-2017 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

How is the drive down? Any issues? Easier or more difficult compared to Baja? I'd also have to figure out if there's the same diesel "issues" in Mexico for ULSD.

The drive down to CC is an easy 4 lane toll road to the turn off to El Fuerte then a 2 laner short distance to EF. From there down to Michoacan you have a number of options. Easy but expensive is toll roads all the way to Morelia via Guad. Nicer but slower is the coast down to Lazaro then up thru Uruapan,Patzcuaro to Ocampo.

The non toll roads are similiar to Baja roads subject to weather repairs ect.
1 exception I think we have Baja beat on the tope front.:lol:

I don´t know about ulsd? I drive a newer diesel but its from here. There are swarms of quebecicans down here every year in brand new giant diesel P/U from the big 3 and they don´t seem to have any problems.

[Edited on 7-18-2017 by chippy]

kevin_in_idaho - 7-18-2017 at 03:16 PM

Thanks Chippy!