BajaNomad

Medicare in TJ: Tijuana Wants to Heal You in $100 Million Luxury Medical Facility

GypsyJan - 7-18-2017 at 09:37 PM

From Newsweek:

http://www.newsweek.com/healthcare-problems-tijuana-wants-he...

TMW - 7-19-2017 at 10:41 AM

I think the article is misleading. First of all medicare only covers you in a foreign country under certain circumstances and medicaid/medical does not. Also it says 22 million may lose their coverage. That is the medicaid/medical people not medicare. I doubt poor people are going to an upscale medical facility with a luxury hotel to be treated for anything.

They will go to the emergency room as they have and still do.

[Edited on 7-19-2017 by TMW]

woody with a view - 7-19-2017 at 11:10 AM

Most of those 20 million who will lose coverage are choosing not to biy it now that the threat of IRS fines is removed.

JoeJustJoe - 7-19-2017 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I think the article is misleading. First of all medicare only covers you in a foreign country under certain circumstances and medicaid/medical does not. Also it says 22 million may lose their coverage. That is the medicaid/medical people not medicare. I doubt poor people are going to an upscale medical facility with a luxury hotel to be treated for anything.

They will go to the emergency room as they have and still do.

[Edited on 7-19-2017 by TMW]

The article is not misleading, you TMW are injecting things in your post the article didn't even talk about.

The article only mentioned, and I'll quote, "at least 22 million Americans could lose their medical coverage under a new health care bill."

That's accurate, the CBO said 22 million Americans would be uninsured under the GOP plan, and it's not just the medicaid/medical, for example, people with pre-existing conditions could be hurt if they can't get coverage, or they can't afford coverage, because the insurance companies are allowed to charge Americans with pre-existing an exorbitant amount of money for health insurance.

I doubt Americans are going to Tijuana's hospitals for just emergencies, but they could go there for follow up care, and for cheaper prescription drugs.

The $100 million luxury medical facility, is obviously trying to attract the upscale American consumers, who need things like tummy tucks, but if the GOP ever passes Trumpcare, or they sabotage Obamacare. Tijuana, Mexico, could pick up a lot of business from sick Americans, who are without health insurance in the US.