BajaNomad

Illegal fishing at Revillagigedo

JESSE - 8-3-2017 at 03:48 PM

ATTENTION: Irrefutable evidence of illegal fishing activities in 2017 in Revillagigedo UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s hard to imagine someone could do this! Luckily, these people are so immodest and self-centered that they decided to publish the evidence online!

OFFENDERS: Boat High Style Yachts “Tourbillon” and captain responsible Shawn Baker and Tommy & Lori García, from Cabo Magic Sportfishing.

https://www.facebook.com/pelagiclife/videos/1414924115228464...

[Edited on 8-3-2017 by JESSE]

David K - 8-3-2017 at 03:52 PM

Wow, Jesse!!! Great to see you again. I drove by Santo Domingo today and remembered you telling me what it was to you.

mtgoat666 - 8-3-2017 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JESSE  
ATTENTION: Irrefutable evidence of illegal fishing activities in 2017 in Revillagigedo UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s hard to imagine someone could do this! Luckily, these people are so immodest and self-centered that they decided to publish the evidence online!

OFFENDERS: Boat High Style Yachts “Tourbillon” and captain responsible Shawn Baker and Tommy & Lori García, from Cabo Magic Sportfishing.

If true, that aint right! :fire:

i think cabo magic is a nomad...

BornFisher - 8-3-2017 at 08:28 PM

Betting something is fishy here. Many grudges are tried in the court of the internet!!

JESSE - 8-3-2017 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Betting something is fishy here. Many grudges are tried in the court of the internet!!

Nothing fishy, its all over the news here, and the photo is pretty clear. Don't know if the owners where aware, but the captain definately f up.

Paco Facullo - 8-3-2017 at 09:17 PM

Hang um high and.....

Whack their PeePee's

LancairDriver - 8-3-2017 at 09:25 PM

That nice boat should almost cover the fine, and maybe plea bargin out of jail time.

fishbuck - 8-3-2017 at 11:44 PM

That has to be tempting if you have the boat for it. Well known for monster yellowfin.
But I am all for making some spots off limits.

basautter - 8-4-2017 at 06:52 AM

Great pics! I hope to add some to the party in October! :bounce:

bill erhardt - 8-4-2017 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JESSE  

I guess this semi-coherent broadside against Cabo Magic is based on the assumption that they did not have the required permits to fish around the islands. I understand that the Mexican navy is very active in assuring that all visiting fishing boats have obtained the proper permits. It is hard to believe that any outfitter out of Cabo would not know about the permit requirement and/or would risk the long trip down without a permit and the possibility of being turned around and sent back, having boat and tackle seized, etc.
But, you never know. I'm sure that if it turns out the Cabo Magic trip was not in fact illegal the OP will post an apology/retraction. Or, Maybe not......
Here's a link to an article on BD describing the trip of another boat to Revillagigedo and the incredible fishing they found there.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/revillagigedos-islands-mexico/

CaboMagic - 8-4-2017 at 08:24 AM

Thank you bill erhardt for being a voice of reason. Yes BornFisher -- and our continued success continues to frustrate many ..

We currently and have always followed the laws and will continue to do so.

The yacht is new to our representation, however we are confident all required permits were properly obtained. We were not the ones responsible for the trip/s in photos. Our first charter for this vessel is coming soon.

The mistake I made: In announcing the yacht on our Facebook page, I used photos of theirs ---- Now we are on a 'list of R Island followers who have joined forces to slam us.

JESSE how disappointing amigo that you would join their forces without taking a moment to reach out to us.

All best wishes folks, Lori

55steve - 8-4-2017 at 08:40 AM

It appears that "fake news" is everywhere these days....

shari - 8-4-2017 at 08:45 AM

Wow..what a ruckus...I am certainly curious about permits as it is an issue we deal with every day here in our World Heritage site La Reserva de la Biosfera de Vizcaino.

The racists comments on the Facebook page cited is distressing and makes it seem more like an internet burn. While yes it is true that money and influence goes a long way here, illegal fishing is certainly not limited to gringos.

In our barrio there is lots of illegal sport fishing, only the difference is that locals are taking anglers out without the permits and...which are really challenging and costly to obtain(which is why most guys never get them!!) but even worse is they are not respecting limits and athey solicit potential clients (who would normally fish with licensed operators) by charging less money...easy to undercut the permitted guides if you dont have to pay for the permits and insurance and some even use the fishing cooperativa pangas!

I cant imagine that Cabo Magic doesnt have the proper permits...but having said that, I do know how at times certain permits slip by and one forgets to renew them...there are so many different ones.

I look forward to hearing the other side of the story.

EDIT: Thank you Lori for the clear response...it went as I figured it would. There are often glitches like this especially in a larger business with new boats, captains and crews being added. But so much damage can be done with mis-information! Sorry for the time you will all waste doing damage control Hope it blows over as quickly as it blew up! Take a deep breath.....

[Edited on 8-4-2017 by shari]

bajaguy - 8-4-2017 at 08:55 AM

Why let facts get in the way of a good story???

Maybe people should do some research before they post information........nah, that would eliminate about half of the posters/posers on Nomads

Howard - 8-4-2017 at 09:25 AM

Half? I think you are being way to kind.

Fun fact, and mini hijack

AKgringo - 8-4-2017 at 09:49 AM

Revillagigedo Island is also the name of the one that Ketchikan Alaska sits on! It was the site of the proposed 'Bridge to nowhere' that was going to connect the city of Ketchikan to their airport on Gravina Island.

Now back to the original thread!

Rossman - 8-4-2017 at 10:37 AM

If memory serves me right, this cluster of islands (I say cluster because I have never been able to pronounce of spell this chain of atolls) was declared a reserve about 8 years ago and any fishing in the area would be illegal fishing. There are no permits granted to anyone. That is certainly the case for any of the long range boats out of southern California and I believe that applies to everyone, sport of commercial. I know of two boats out of the San Diego fleet that have been there since and they were both on shark and tuna tagging trips and were accompanied by Mexican representatives and shadowed by the Mexican Navy. Having been wrong on a couple occasions in my life, I would welcome an corrections to my beliefs .

SFandH - 8-4-2017 at 10:43 AM

"Thirty years ago the Revillagigedo Islands were one of the richest archipelagos in the Eastern Pacific. They have been called the Mexican Galapagos and are as fragile and diverse but less well known as their namesake. World famous for the abundance of apex predators like hammerhead sharks, giant pacific mantas, and yellowfin tuna, these islands have been decimated by over-exploitation. What remains is greatly threatened."

http://socorroislandconservation.org/socorro/page_id73/

I suppose if sport fishing permits are available people in the business will utilize them. Of course, they could choose to stay away and fish elsewhere because the area is under the protection of UNESCO.

[Edited on 8-4-2017 by SFandH]

SFandH - 8-4-2017 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
If memory serves me right, this cluster of islands (I say cluster because I have never been able to pronounce of spell this chain of atolls) was declared a reserve about 8 years ago and any fishing in the area would be illegal fishing. There are no permits granted to anyone. That is certainly the case for any of the long range boats out of southern California and I believe that applies to everyone, sport of commercial.

I've searched and all I can find is fishing is "restricted". Here's something from UNESCO:

" Fishing is restricted through the marine area zoning system; however, there are concerns regarding policing and instances of sport fishing. The extension of a no-take fishing zone by 12 nautical miles to align with the property boundaries is considered essential to bolster protection of the island’s marine resources as is the enforcement of strengthened fishing regulations in the property’s large buffer zone."

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1510

shari - 8-4-2017 at 12:42 PM

Looks like there may be some sport fish permits but maybe not... just because it is a Unesco site doesnt mean squat....the world's largest salt works is smack dab in the middle of one here..and there are lots of fishing coops and tuna boats, shrimp draggers, net boats etc working in the area.

I guess the silver lining is that this topic gets attention and can serve to educate anglers. It would be wise to ask when you book a trip somewhere if your providers have all the necessary permits and insurance before you reserve! And of course try to fish with reputable operators and respect the limits/regulations of the area.

CaboMagic - 8-4-2017 at 05:08 PM

Respectfully and TO BE CLEAR:

We DID NOT arrange the charter of discussion.

Per the Port Captains office of CSL this vessel is fully in compliance with regards to all charters.

Thank you.

[Edited on 8-5-2017 by CaboMagic]

[Edited on 8-5-2017 by CaboMagic]

mtgoat666 - 8-4-2017 at 09:06 PM

So it is reported that fishing occured in a restricted area, but the boat had a special permit to fish the protected area?

Smells fishy! :!:

P.s. Why does this forum have no fishing emojis :?: This and so many threads really need fishing emojis :light:

TMW - 8-5-2017 at 03:20 PM

or goat emojis

chuckie - 8-5-2017 at 03:32 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Terry28 - 8-5-2017 at 07:10 PM

CaboMagic..You are and always have been a Class Act...Ignore the rest of the whiners...