BajaNomad

Northern states best for viewing eclipse

GypsyJan - 8-3-2017 at 05:43 PM

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/northern-states-best-for-see...

David K - 8-3-2017 at 06:08 PM

I have M's 1991 eclipse photos from Baja Sur, that include Nomad Graham Mackintosh, who was there: http://vivabaja.com/eclipse

elgatoloco - 8-3-2017 at 06:56 PM

We will be in Casper Wyoming USA :cool:

BajaMama - 8-3-2017 at 07:10 PM

My daughter is in culinary school in Bend, Oregon, so close to the "sweet spot." Hubby and I planned an Alaska trip before we knew about the eclipse :( Oh well, we will have to pay attention for the next one!

I was lucky enough to see a total eclipse in New Jersey 1969.

BornFisher - 8-3-2017 at 08:38 PM

Grand Island Nebraska for me and friends. Started making arrangements 9 months ago. Already have chairs, shirts, and glasses. Going to get some Coronas to view the corona!!!

BornFisher - 8-3-2017 at 08:56 PM

If you want a shirt, google "eclipse shirts". There must be thousands of them!! Here`s my taco eclipse shirt (representing Baja)!!
Oh yeah, flag glasses for the great American eclipse!!

shirt.PNG - 109kB

StuckSucks - 8-4-2017 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have M's 1991 eclipse photos from Baja Sur, that include Nomad Graham Mackintosh, who was there: http://vivabaja.com/eclipse

I have a VHS video when we went down in '91 - almost 7 minutes of totality was surrealistic - I need to edit the tape into something watchable. We viewed the eclipse on the East Cape.

surfhat - 8-4-2017 at 03:15 PM

David and others, I too, was there on the East Cape in 91 on our small group of homes. We had a group of astronomers stay on our property from near Santa Cruz, who set up several telescopes on the rings of Saturn [spectacular] and some others planets. It was a blast to have them there imparting their knowledge for the asking.

There were several dozen of them who camped out for a few days and we all ended up with some great photos of the eclipse that they took.

The shimmering and almost vibrating of the atmosphere over the landscape was a trip, as we watched it spread over the desert. The birds went completely silent. It was almost meditative in nature.

I ended up watching most of the eclipse through my binoculars, laying flat on the ground with the appropriate lens cover to prevent eye damage.

I have never posted photos, so that is out of the question. Maybe some others who were there at the time can. It is a palpable, unique experience to witness a total solar eclipse. Don't miss it if you can go.

Thanks to all here.

acadist - 8-6-2017 at 05:17 AM

Living in the Seattle area we have decided to live with our 81% and sip beverages from the front porch

Fatboy - 8-9-2017 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by acadist  
Living in the Seattle area we have decided to live with our 81% and sip beverages from the front porch

Interesting comment made on Science Friday the other day that went something like this ...

....even at 95% you do not get anything near 95% of the experience...

So for me it will be Eastern Oregon, somewhere along the path of totality.

Also they said that not all eclipses are the same, it depends on the location of the moon, sometimes the moon is further from earth during the eclipse and you will still have a band of light shining from around the moon... not this one they say, the moon should completely cover the sun I believe

elgatoloco - 8-10-2017 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by acadist  

Interesting comment made on Science Friday the other day that went something like this ...

....even at 95% you do not get anything near 95% of the experience...

So for me it will be Eastern Oregon, somewhere along the path of totality.

Also they said that not all eclipses are the same, it depends on the location of the moon, sometimes the moon is further from earth during the eclipse and you will still have a band of light shining from around the moon... not this one they say, the moon should completely cover the sun I believe

An Annular Eclipse is when the moon covers MOST of the sun but leaves the edges uncovered leaving a ring (or annulus) of the sun around the edges.

On 8/21 those of us fortunate enough to be on the center line will experience a TOTAL Eclipse. I am very much looking forward to it. There is no comparison between a partial and total eclipse. It's like reading the menu at a great restaurant and not ordering. The wife saw the 1991 eclipse in Baja and we together saw one in Zambia in 2001 and another in Egypt in 2006. The fact that we can drive to this one is really nice. One of the most amazing things is looking for the shadow of the moon coming at and by you at 1600 miles per hour as totality hits. Then you get to take off your protective eye ware for the 2:38 of totality and see the corona, and Bailey's beads and the diamond ring effect. Planets become visible, stars come out, the temperature drops, birds go quiet. Of course if its cloudy you don't get to see a darn thing. :lol:

April 2024 is the next one to hit North America. Not too early to start planning a trip to Mexico. :saint:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Ap...

We are already making plans for a trip to the Atacama desert in 2019.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2019Ju...

BajaMama - 8-10-2017 at 05:23 AM

BTW if any of you photograph, you can stack ND Grad filters for safe viewing. I did that for a partial eclipse about 7 years ago and it worked very well. I think I had a 60, a 90 and a 30!

Albert Einstein and Total Solar Eclipses

SFandH - 8-10-2017 at 08:48 AM

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/dayintech_0529/

"1919: During a total solar eclipse, Sir Arthur Eddington performed the first experimental test of Albert Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

The findings made Einstein a celebrity overnight, and precipitated the eventual triumph of general relativity over classical Newtonian physics."

----------------------------

Take your astronomical measuring gear with you.

elgatoloco - 8-10-2017 at 09:39 AM

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

www.eclipseglasses.com

Be safe. Have fun!

StuckSucks - 8-10-2017 at 02:46 PM

Video: Total Solar Eclipse July 11, 1991

The decision was made: drive to the tip of Baja to watch one of the longest solar eclipses ever: totality for six minutes, 53 seconds. The sun’s shadow traveled over Hawaii and then Baja California — most eclipse fans opted for traveling to Hawaii which was overcast during the eclipse.

Eric and I camped near Punta Colorado on Baja’s East Cape to wait for the noon event. We’d done our homework on what to see, what to expect, but nothing prepared us for the sensations during the eclipse: much cooler, a noon-time sky with stars, and dusk 360º along the horizon. To say “surrealistic” would be an understatement.

AKgringo - 8-10-2017 at 03:23 PM

Four or five years ago, I was able to watch a near total eclipse at my Northern CA residence.

A phenomena that I did not expect, was in the shady areas under the oak trees. Anywhere that was partial shade was covered with hundreds of small crescent shaped rings of light, matching the thin crescent of the sun left exposed.

Attracted to Daytime Darkness

MrBillM - 8-10-2017 at 03:54 PM

Some people are easily entertained.

Whale-ista - 8-10-2017 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Whale-ista - 8-10-2017 at 04:48 PM

The shadow of this 1991 eclipse hit land first in Hawaii, then Baja, then continued southeast into Central Mexico, and onward into Central America.

Many Spanish language news stations tracked the progress with frequent updates and celebrity interviews in various exotic locations- very entertaining!

My group observed it in the beach town of Tamarindo, Costa Rica, on a remote beach in the Nicoya Peninsula. No celebrities joined us -in fact, there were very few tourists around in this area 25+ years ago. We saw more goats/cows than people.

We had rented a 4WD vehicle in San Jose, since the only road on the peninsula was dirt that was shared with ranchers moving their cows and goats. So it was mostly local Ticos who joined us for the observance.

As we stood outside enjoying the strange mid-day darkness, the sudden quiet of the tropical birds, and the appearance crescent shadows and stars stars, many of the locals remained inside, watching the coverage on televisions.

It seemed to take some of them a minute or two to realize the total eclipse they were seeing on TV news was the same one we were admiring out on the beach.

Pura vida!

Whale-ista - 8-10-2017 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Video: Total Solar Eclipse July 11, 1991

The decision was made: drive to the tip of Baja to watch one of the longest solar eclipses ever: totality for six minutes, 53 seconds. The sun’s shadow traveled over Hawaii and then Baja California — most eclipse fans opted for traveling to Hawaii which was overcast during the eclipse.

Eric and I camped near Punta Colorado on Baja’s East Cape to wait for the noon event. We’d done our homework on what to see, what to expect, but nothing prepared us for the sensations during the eclipse: much cooler, a noon-time sky with stars, and dusk 360º along the horizon. To say “surrealistic” would be an understatement.

Beautiful! Nicely done, esp. given the '90s technology.
Agreed- the quiet birds, the stars at midday, the strange shadows.... very surreal experience.

BajaBill74 - 8-10-2017 at 06:48 PM

Kathie and I will watch it from her sisters house just outside of Salem. Their farmhouse is on a hill with a beautiful view of the city. It will be interesting to see how many lights come on.

One problem is that today you can't see Salem from their house because of all the forest fires. Hopefully, that will clear up.

PaulW - 8-11-2017 at 06:09 AM

We are heading to Casper Wyoming and will drive via the GPS southeast to a good place. Planing to be on the center-line of totality.

shari - 8-11-2017 at 07:21 AM

What a fascinating thread that awoke my passion for rare occurrences! Thanks to the contributors that makes it a pleasure to read...love the historical photo of Graham...hahaha.

I look forward to seeing trip reports from those of you fortunate enough to be able to travel to the sweet spots.

I remember being in GN in living in the old part of town where superstitions rule and everyone was telling me about what to do....like putting the red ribbon on the house and around pregnant ladies bellies and staying inside etc...cant remember the other ones. The government passed out glasses for all.

I sure hope I am around for 2024 for the next one here...who wants to make reservations...hahaha:coolup:!

KurtG - 8-11-2017 at 09:05 AM

I also saw the 91 eclipse. We were on the beach at La Playita just east of San Jose Del Cabo. That eclipse was just before noon so almost directly overhead and had a totality of about 5 minutes as I recall. Visually watching totality is like nothing else, that absolutely black hole in the sky surrounded by the sun's corona. No photo can do it justice.

StuckSucks - 8-12-2017 at 03:16 PM

Video: Wanna See the Solar Eclipse? Here's What You Have to Know | WIRED

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2017 at 03:46 PM

I hope we will be watching it from our La Bocana house with friends, right on the front porch!

Excited Anticipation

MrBillM - 8-12-2017 at 03:57 PM

One can hardly wait to read reports from those whose "Loss of Light" life-changing experience leads them to witness a crescendo of cosmic Karmic confluence resulting in an elevated self-awareness of ultimate knowledge and purpose.

Or, something like that.

SFandH - 8-12-2017 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

witness a crescendo of cosmic Karmic confluence resulting in an elevated self-awareness of ultimate knowledge and purpose.

If it's not cloudy. If it is, well, there's always a c-cktail or three.

KurtG - 8-12-2017 at 04:44 PM

One can hardly wait to read reports from those whose "Loss of Light" life-changing experience leads them to witness a crescendo of cosmic Karmic confluence resulting in an elevated self-awareness of ultimate knowledge and purpose.

Or, something like that.

I wouldn't claim any of those effects but seeing a total eclipse was quite a visual experience. Or maybe I'm just remembering the hallucinogens I took back in the 70's! ;)

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by KurtG]

Hook - 8-12-2017 at 08:01 PM

In the western US and Canada, the abundance of forest fires, especially all the ones up in BC, may have a huge effect. I just drove back from North Vancouver Island over the last two days and the smoke was horrible everywhere; Wash, ORE, BC, you name it. Some improvement over the next couple days..........but the fires are still burning.

Then, again, it may only make it darker. And, really, I dont get off on looking at the sun being covered up as much as I like seeing the landscape change in the transitioning darkness. I am looking DOWN more than UP.

I will be near Cascade, ID., performing some volunteer work for USFS up by Warm Lake. My wife will be on the Whitewater/Rebel fire in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness in Oregon. She will still be in the path of totality (just barely) at the Hoodoo Ski Resort above Sisters, OR.

Sweetwater - 8-13-2017 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
We are heading to Casper Wyoming and will drive via the GPS southeast to a good place. Planing to be on the center-line of totality.

Casper is good, the mountains above Dubois could be better.

Sr.vienes - 8-13-2017 at 10:30 AM

We were on the beach trying to finish building our place about a mile South of Rancho Leonero for the '91 eclipse. We had 54 friends, relatives and "does anybody know who they are?" with us. Really am glad we saw it because it was way more of an experience than I ever imagined it would be. Will try to dig out some old photos and see how bad I can screw up my first photo posting attempt.

BornFisher - 8-13-2017 at 08:25 PM

"Nebraskiii er bust" says I!!
"Damn the torpedoes" and full speed ahead!!
Leaving on a road trip---- So Cal to Mesquite Nv, Green River Utah, Denver and on to Grand Island Nebraska. Return trip, quien sabe??
This will be our 6th total eclipse. Baja, Caribbean, France, Africa, and Mediterranean.
Past memories include 1991 with Graham and Tim and M in La Paz and Todos Santos. Another is not having permission to go ashore in Tripoli because of our American passports! And game viewing in Africa and London and Paris and Greece and sooo much more!!
Despite a critic or two here, get there if you can. I can`t tell you why, but when you see it you will know!!!

willardguy - 8-13-2017 at 08:37 PM

I once flew my Lear Jet to Nova Scotia.......

AKgringo - 8-13-2017 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

So you are the guy she was singing about!

You're so vain!

[Edited on 8-14-2017 by AKgringo]

BornFisher - 8-13-2017 at 09:13 PM

Oh no you did not Willard!! OK so I got carried away, but it`s really impossible to describe! Hey tried the Santini brewery. Liked the brews and the food looked great! Saw some pics on the wall from La Salina. Lobster, Wahoo, WSB!!
AK-- good one there, she does blabber about an eclipse!!

StuckSucks - 8-14-2017 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

You're so vain!

AK - excellent catch!

Fatboy - 8-14-2017 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

You're so vain!

AK - excellent catch!

AGREED!

willardguy - 8-14-2017 at 10:20 AM

You're so vain!

[Edited on 8-14-2017 by AKgringo]

who'd you think it was,warren beatty? :lol:

tiotomasbcs - 8-19-2017 at 02:54 PM

bump

SFandH - 8-19-2017 at 03:53 PM

OK, it's a bump.

I'm sorta regretting I didn't make plans to see totality; i.e., being in the umbra instead of the penumbra.

So, in seven years, April 8th, 2024, I'm going for umbra, Mazatlan is the place.

Please don't take umbrage with my desire for the umbra.

Lee - 8-19-2017 at 05:47 PM

Denver 93% close enough. Grand Island, NE and Casper, WY was booked. Next time.

tripledigitken - 8-19-2017 at 06:34 PM

We're in Cody, Wy. camped in our 5th wheel. We just have ro drive south 115 miles to the center of totality for a day trip south of Thermopolis, easy peasy. RV park charged their regular rate and no crowds to contend with. We took a day trip to Yellowstone via the Beartooth Scenic byway two days ago and saw tons of bison some within 25', a red fox, antelope, and a momma Grizely with two cubs...a steller wild life day.

Life is good.

It's JUST like the Super Bowl

MrBillM - 8-19-2017 at 06:45 PM

Or, any other like event.

The BEFORE and AFTER are more significant.

Anticipation and regurgitation.

You "might" see it better in the TV coverage, but who can brag (or construct fantasy) about that ?

90 minutes of totality

SFandH - 8-21-2017 at 07:54 AM

An experiment to study the corona:

http://eclipse2017.nso.edu/citizen-cate/

"For the Citizen Continental-America Telescopic Eclipse (CATE) Experiment, scientists, students and volunteers will track the Sun using 68 identical telescopes, software and instrument packages spaced along the 2,500 mile path of totality. Each site will produce more than 1,000 images. ....

The resulting dataset will consist of an unprecedented 90 minutes of continuous, high-resolution, and rapid-cadence images detailing the Sun’s inner corona – a region of the solar atmosphere typically very challenging to image."

David K - 8-21-2017 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
We're in Cody, Wy. camped in our 5th wheel. We just have ro drive south 115 miles to the center of totality for a day trip south of Thermopolis, easy peasy. RV park charged their regular rate and no crowds to contend with. We took a day trip to Yellowstone via the Beartooth Scenic byway two days ago and saw tons of bison some within 25', a red fox, antelope, and a momma Grizely with two cubs...a steller wild life day.

Life is good.

Nice!
Mom was born in Cody!
Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Only 60% coverage here in North San Diego and it is clouded over near the coast to inland valleys still.

The EXCITEMENT is OVERPOWERING

MrBillM - 8-21-2017 at 09:37 AM

WOW.

The first LIVE video (from Oregon) on NBC shows an Orange circle with a Black crescent in the upper right cutting into the Orange circle.

What could be BETTER ?

Not even Grass Growing measures up.

Paco Facullo - 8-21-2017 at 02:12 PM

Hey folks,

I've got the most exciting and best video of the eclipse EVER...

U2U me with you cell phone # to get a text.

or, send your email address for and email.

David K - 8-21-2017 at 03:37 PM

Well, it's just an event that doesn't happen often for most of us. Here, with 60% coverage, the morning clouds did burn away and then the sky darkened to about what sunglasses do, very cool. I remember the '91 eclipse that was darker here and you could feel the air get cooler.

So not a big event being a partial or the more recent annular eclipse before sundown here in San Diego. How about we hear from others or anyone who was in the path of totality?

SFandH - 8-21-2017 at 04:17 PM

WOW.

The first LIVE video (from Oregon) on NBC shows an Orange circle with a Black crescent in the upper right cutting into the Orange circle.

What could be BETTER ?

Not even Grass Growing measures up.

On no, not Orange............

Checked out my Youtube live feeds and the one for the eclipse was a totally black screen with somebody interviewing somebody else about how dark it is. :lol:

I guess you had to be there.

It is interesting that the corona, the sun's atmosphere, is hotter higher up than at the surface of the sun. Nobody knows why, yet.

TMW - 8-21-2017 at 04:20 PM

I'm sorry I just can't or didn't get worked up over the black out. To me it's just another dumb event like Y2K. I'll watch the news tonight for all the earth shacking details and get 90 million opinions of this great event in the history of man kind. NOT

SFandH - 8-21-2017 at 04:25 PM

All the news stories are/were a somewhat pleasant break from the usual, which is getting really boring.

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2017 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I'm sorry I just can't or didn't get worked up over the black out. To me it's just another dumb event like Y2K. I'll watch the news tonight for all the earth shacking details and get 90 million opinions of this great event in the history of man kind. NOT

crikey! you have to be a real real stick in the mud to be spitting on the eclipse. we are going to rename you "debbie downer."

SFandH - 8-21-2017 at 04:48 PM

The best story I heard about the eclipse is that way back when a measurement was made of a star position that could only be made during an eclipse that offered the first empirical evidence of Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

Beam me up, Scotty.

BornFisher - 8-21-2017 at 06:56 PM

Totality awesome in Grand Island Nebraska.
Eclipsed expectations.

AKgringo - 8-21-2017 at 07:31 PM

The eclipse was only a 45% coverage in Anchorage, viewable only from an aircraft above the rain clouds!

A PREDICTION come TRUE !

MrBillM - 8-21-2017 at 07:35 PM

Having viewed little of the coverage, I thought amusing one interview of two Fat gals that showed up in the zone.

The one saying that it was SO GREAT to be a part of a prediction !

"It's SO exciting. We hear these "predictions", but we don't KNOW it's true until it happens."

I suppose that she thinks the same of the dawn.

I went

satmike - 8-21-2017 at 08:08 PM

I went up to Boysen Res. in Wy. and it was spectacular. Traffic was better than TJ on a medium day

24baja - 8-21-2017 at 08:49 PM

I am currently working on the Whitewater fire at Hoodo Ski Area Lodge. We were in the path of totallity and it was an amazing gift that was shared with us today. Had my Radio in one hand and watched through my special glasses. What a day.

elgatoloco - 8-21-2017 at 09:17 PM

We saw it. Awestruck. Inspiring. Indescribable. If you haven't seen a TOTAL eclipse you don't know and no one can really explain it. You have to see it for yourself. I can tell you about the temperature dropping 10 degrees, or seeing planet Venus at 11:42 AM, or the diamond ring effect at 2nd and 3rd contact, or Baileys beads or seeing prominences shooting off the suns surface a million miles or having a 360 degree sunset but It's like trying to convey the feeling when you get to touch a whale or the maybe the first time you had sex. April 2024 it will be back to North America. 2019 we will be in the Atacama desert with the hopes of clear skies.
Different strokes.
A partial eclipse is a sight to see but there is no comparison to TOTAL. Two distinct experience. Kind of like starting the Baja 1000 then crashing out at the first turn. IMHO.
YMMV.

Santiago - 8-22-2017 at 05:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
We saw it. Awestruck. Inspiring. Indescribable. If you haven't seen a TOTAL eclipse you don't know and no one can really explain it. You have to see it for yourself. I can tell you about the temperature dropping 10 degrees, or seeing planet Venus at 11:42 AM, or the diamond ring effect at 2nd and 3rd contact, or Baileys beads or seeing prominences shooting off the suns surface a million miles or having a 360 degree sunset but It's like trying to convey the feeling when you get to touch a whale or the maybe the first time you had sex. April 2024 it will be back to North America. 2019 we will be in the Atacama desert with the hopes of clear skies.
Different strokes.
A partial eclipse is a sight to see but there is no comparison to TOTAL. Two distinct experience. Kind of like starting the Baja 1000 then crashing out at the first turn. IMHO.
YMMV.

Watched it in Cascade Idaho for the first time and I agree with the above. I was surprised at how bright the sun was at 95-99% blockage. At 66 years of age, I thought I pretty much lost the feeling of wonderment I see in my grand son's eyes from time to time, but it came back yesterday. All over the universe, rocks are casting shadows on other rocks, but as far as we know, only here does anyone care about it. If I am alive in 2024, I'm going to go again.

BornFisher - 8-22-2017 at 06:13 AM

On a scale of 1 to 10, a partial eclipse is a 3, a total eclipse is a million!

El Jefe - 8-22-2017 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Different strokes.
YMMV.

Watched it in Cascade Idaho for the first time and I agree with the above. I was surprised at how bright the sun was at 95-99% blockage. At 66 years of age, I thought I pretty much lost the feeling of wonderment I see in my grand son's eyes from time to time, but it came back yesterday. All over the universe, rocks are casting shadows on other rocks, but as far as we know, only here does anyone care about it. If I am alive in 2024, I'm going to go again.

All of the above! Well put you two. We were near Weiser ID and were equally awed. See you guys in 2024, Mazatlan!

OK - But Did You WEEP ?

MrBillM - 8-22-2017 at 08:00 AM

According to the news coverage, millions were so overcome with emotion that they WEPT !

Unsaid was whether they were laughed at.

As they would have deserved.

TMW - 8-22-2017 at 08:37 AM

According to the news coverage, millions were so overcome with emotion that they WEPT !

It just shows how stupid people can be.

bkbend - 8-22-2017 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
I am currently working on the Whitewater fire at Hoodo Ski Area Lodge. We were in the path of totallity and it was an amazing gift that was shared with us today. Had my Radio in one hand and watched through my special glasses. What a day.

Hi Connie, your smoke didn't make my day. I went out to the north end of Green Ridge Sunday evening, about 15 miles NE of you, and couldn't see Mt. Jefferson across the valley. I ended up bailing to the east down into the desert rimrocks and sat on the edge of a canyon. Different view than what I wanted but impressive nonetheless.

David K - 8-22-2017 at 10:06 AM

GREAT REPORTS!!

elgatoloco, glad you posted... I remember how much you and Barb enjoyed the '91 event and that you were going to try and go to eclipses anywhere they occurred.

I set the DVR to record NASA TV coverage. Seemed like the point of totality and the diamond ring effect where the most pleasing.

The La Paz/Cabo eclipse of '91 comments I recall was more about the 360° twilight effect on the horizon and the coyotes that began to howl, etc. Maybe it was a Baja thing and not one you could get with mobs of people around?

Atacama should be ideal!

Atacampa

AKgringo - 8-22-2017 at 10:33 AM

There is a pretty good chance of clear skies, it is the driest place on Earth! Average annual rainfall is .004 inches per year

StuckSucks - 8-22-2017 at 03:18 PM

We watched it, exact dead center of the eclipse, about 30 miles north of Paducah, KY. We were on a small farm road and didn't have to share the eclipse with any neighbors. There is nothing I can add which others haven't said, but totality is off-the-charts spectacular: Dusk 360º, stars, big drop in temperature, etc. and the corona around the black dot is indescribable. 2:40 of totality.

Fatboy - 8-23-2017 at 09:03 PM

I just got home a few hours ago.

It was amazing!

I watched it from high atop Horse Heaven Mtn between Ashwood and Mitchell out in Eastern Oregon just 3 miles north of the center line.

The naysayers on here are really ill informed, or lack imagination, or are just ignorant of the experience of a total eclipse.

Am I going to spend all my money and time to see every eclipse possible? No, but assuming I am alive and able I will go see the next one in 2024.

It was truly amazing experience, watching a 'sunrise' and 'sunset' like sky in the east and west, both before and after the event.

6 times in one day the sky on the horizon looked like the sun was either setting or rising depending on which direction I turned, like living on some other world with two suns or something.

Seeing what looked like a hole in the sky, it was something worth seeing, not to mention the 3 Elk antlers I found while hiking up and down that mountain 3 different times was just icing on the cake.

David K - 8-24-2017 at 07:08 AM

Sweet!!!:bounce::light:

elgatoloco - 8-26-2017 at 09:10 AM

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting breathlessly to hear you two describe your thoughts when you experienced in person a total solar eclipse. :saint:

y2k? WTF? :lol::dudette:
SOS

It just shows how stupid people can be.

chuckie - 8-26-2017 at 09:14 AM

I thought it was kinda like watching paint dry...

TMW - 8-26-2017 at 09:25 AM

I'm sorry but I can't get excited about the moon coming between the earth and sun. For people that are interested in that kind of stuff good, I'm glad you like it. I still see it as another Y2K type event. More for the media to rally the forces for that actually being anything note worthy just so the media has something to crow about, that is what airhead reporters do.

Y2K was such a bunch of crap. Companies spend millions for upgrades that didn't need to be. At the time my corp. president asked me what I thought and I told him it was BS we didn't have anything affected by the time change and as it turned out we didn't. I have a friend who was a computer expert working with several banks and he told them up front not to worry but they wanted the upgrades anyway and he made about a million dollars doing so. He was happy they didn't take his advice.

Bajazly - 8-26-2017 at 09:49 AM

Chile & Argentina will have one in 2018 & 2019, kind of thinking I might need to see South America a couple times in the next couple of years.

willardguy - 8-26-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Chile & Argentina will have one in 2018 & 2019, kind of thinking I might need to see South America a couple times in the next couple of years.

hold off until the 2020 event and be there for DAKAR a couple weeks later! :D

Fatboy - 8-26-2017 at 01:42 PM

I'm sorry but I can't get excited about the moon coming between the earth and sun. For people that are interested in that kind of stuff good, I'm glad you like it. I still see it as another Y2K type event. More for the media to rally the forces for that actually being anything note worthy just so the media has something to crow about, that is what airhead reporters do.

Y2K was such a bunch of crap. Companies spend millions for upgrades that didn't need to be. At the time my corp. president asked me what I thought and I told him it was BS we didn't have anything affected by the time change and as it turned out we didn't. I have a friend who was a computer expert working with several banks and he told them up front not to worry but they wanted the upgrades anyway and he made about a million dollars doing so. He was happy they didn't take his advice.

Surprised to see this coming from you, TMW, why do posters on this board feel the need to pee on others parade

If you, and others, do not like something posted here then refrain from posting a response.

I thought it was amazing, exceded my expectations. Shared here and you and others are negative about it?

I find it hard to believe that if you were in a social gathering with others you do not know very well if you say the same thing. Or would smile and politely say, "That is cool, glad you enjoyed it." Or something to that effect.

Or would you be negative and say what you said here?

Plenty of hate in this world already, so all you guys just keep it up and shows us how 'tough and worldly' you are, because someone that talks as some of do just shows how weak they are to attack or belittle others and/or their experience.

Almost done with this board.

Hook - 8-26-2017 at 02:01 PM

Please check your u2u. My wife is also working that fire, but she gets rotated off today.

chuckie - 8-26-2017 at 03:01 PM

Where is a goodplace to get a Mani-Pedi in El Rosario? must have secure parking and exchange rate...and speak english..

The GREATEST Eclipse in History ?

MrBillM - 8-26-2017 at 06:00 PM

It has now been confirmed (by Kellyanne Conway ?) that this latest Eclipse exceeded any previous Eclipse under ANY previous President.

And would NEVER have been possible under Obama.

mtgoat666 - 8-26-2017 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Where is a goodplace to get a Mani-Pedi in El Rosario? must have secure parking and exchange rate...and speak english..

The Pemex station

Hook - 8-26-2017 at 10:24 PM

It has now been confirmed (by Kellyanne Conway ?) that this latest Eclipse exceeded any previous Eclipse under ANY previous President.

And would NEVER have been possible under Obama.

LOL! That's one of your best ones, Bill!!!!

24baja - 8-27-2017 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

Hi Connie, your smoke didn't make my day. I went out to the north end of Green Ridge Sunday evening, about 15 miles NE of you, and couldn't see Mt. Jefferson across the valley. I ended up bailing to the east down into the desert rimrocks and sat on the edge of a canyon. Different view than what I wanted but impressive nonetheless.

Sorry we smoked you out. Wishing this fire was done. I am on the downhill side of a 28 day assignment.

Hook - 8-27-2017 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Any gardener with a sharp machete should be good for this.

Not sure about the English. Brush up on your Spanish to make sure he trims the correct digit. :O