BajaNomad

Dog Safety (Not a Rant)

GypsyJan - 8-5-2017 at 05:33 PM

The other day I was at our mail service in Rosarito. There was a newish model silver metallic pickup truck with three full-grown Weimaraners in the back with no restraints. They were very agitated because the local dogs were barking at them from the balconies on the street. I talked to the owner and asked him if he was worried about hiss dogs' safety and he replied, "Oh no, they are trained."

Life happens and accidents happen and I worry that those beautiful dogs could become road kill in the blink of an eye.

[Edited on 8-6-2017 by GypsyJan]

pacificobob - 8-7-2017 at 06:42 AM

i understand and appreciate your concern for the dog's safety. i have had dogs that ride in the truck bed from years ago. i believe it was one of the greatest joys in their lives. i have never seen a dog in the back of a truck looking sad. some of life's greatest joys involve risk. that said.... some dogs just don't have the sense to safely ride in the bed. i am not endorsing the practice, just making a few comments. cheers

JZ - 8-7-2017 at 02:30 PM

Op is the reason no kids get to ride in the back of p/u's anymore in the US.

We go to MX for the the freedom of choice on stuff like this.

chippy - 8-7-2017 at 03:04 PM

Really but did anyone ask the dogs:P Cesar is always available!

TMW - 8-7-2017 at 05:30 PM

My dogs always rode in the front or back seat of my truck never in the bed. I was told by my vet that dogs riding in the bed of a truck could get epilepsy from breathing the highway exhaust chemicals. We had a German Shepard that was epileptic.

pacificobob - 8-9-2017 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
My dogs always rode in the front or back seat of my truck never in the bed. I was told by my vet that dogs riding in the bed of a truck could get epilepsy from breathing the highway exhaust chemicals. We had a German Shepard that was epileptic.

i am old enough to remember when pickup trucks didn't have a back seat!