BajaNomad

Camalu Area Camping

WestyWanderer - 8-6-2017 at 12:09 AM

I know historically the San Quentin area has had issues with thievery, is this still the case? Has anyone camped on the beach in the Camalu area recently and had issues or vice versa? I'm considering heading down to the area in mid September in our tent trailer. Thanks

shari - 8-6-2017 at 07:24 AM

Personally I would not camp in the Camalu area...nuff said.

Sr.vienes - 8-6-2017 at 09:15 AM

La Cueva Del Pirata has a few camping spots out front and may be somewhat more secure. The rooms are really very reasonable and have had extensive remodeling in the last few years. https://www.expedia.com/Camalu-Hotels-La-Cueva-Del-Pirata.h1...

SFandH - 8-6-2017 at 09:19 AM

Looks like a really nice place!! Thanks.

carlosg - 8-6-2017 at 09:51 AM

Hi WW,

Here's a few reviews from Google Maps, one of them is detailed and I thought it was informative:

https://goo.gl/maps/CBmLBR4zbM92

Seems like you can also camp there as well, right on the beach.

Here's more reviews from Google Search:

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android...

tiotomasbcs - 8-6-2017 at 10:37 AM

Lots of crime in the area and I think we all can recall a bad story or two. What about Erendira area? It was always safe and very beautiful in the past. And popular here on Nomad for many. Suerte.

SFandH - 8-6-2017 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Lots of crime in the area and I think we all can recall a bad story or two. What about Erendira area? It was always safe and very beautiful in the past. And popular here on Nomad for many. Suerte.

Yeah but in front of the hotel Sr.vienes linked to looks pretty safe. Looks like there might be a right break there too.

Erendira is a good spot but I wouldn't stay there unless there were others around.

Unfortunately, I feel that way in most of Baja these days.

willardguy - 8-6-2017 at 11:06 AM

pirate's is a good choice....heck leave the tent camper buttoned up and get a room ;)
and bring a longboard!

BooJumMan - 8-6-2017 at 04:51 PM

In my opinion, that "zone" is not all that nice for camping...Cabras area is nicer... however the last 2 times I've been there, I'm fairly certain someone had come through the campsite. Nothing was taken but lots of footprints in the sand that weren't there when I went to bed.

hombre66 - 8-6-2017 at 07:00 PM

Wouldnt camp in the vicinity alone on the beach bluffs. Last time I stayed here, the locals harrassed me with an accusation of poaching lobster. This was back in the 80's. Imagine more hostility these days, with more people jockeying for a living etc. But... anyplace confined that has a jefe or a "collector of fees", is probably safe.

WestyWanderer - 8-7-2017 at 12:06 AM

I was leaning towards not going to this area and just needed a little more reassurance I guess. We've camped at Cabras before and really like it, just wanted to try something different. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

ehall - 8-7-2017 at 01:24 PM

Lots of deserted camp areas a few miles south of Erindira.

BajaGeoff - 8-7-2017 at 04:01 PM

If you are willing to go as far south as San Quintin...keep heading south and hit up the coast from Punta Baja to Punta San Carlos. Its a few extra hours drive but well worth it to get off the grid a bit...

TMW - 8-7-2017 at 05:24 PM

I usually camp at the south end of the sand dunes on the hill at San Antonio del Mar near Colonet. Fish for halibut around the holes.