BajaNomad

Baja Sur Excede Down?

BigWooo - 8-8-2017 at 09:52 AM

All the Excede accounts in San Juanico are down and have not been online for 5 days. Is anyone else in Baja having problems with Excede?

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2017 at 11:53 AM

yes it was slow here too...

I had 4 big Microsoft updates...could be throttling
I had to repair internet updates...the unfinished downloads we causing problems in my registry

susan called exede and they said the antenna aimed wrong...
liars...I don't trust them
I have 2 separate services and BOTH were slow

they may have moved the SAT a little...or the world isn't a ball and is oval or flat : )

go to control panel ...update and security...and repair options

damn ...I just checked and ANOTHER update downloading NOW!!!

chuckie - 8-8-2017 at 11:59 AM

Have patience, Grasshopper...

larryC - 8-8-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
All the Excede accounts in San Juanico are down and have not been online for 5 days. Is anyone else in Baja having problems with Excede?

Jeff
Do you know what beam you are assigned to? I have a guy on beam 88 a little north of Guerro Negro that is down also just wondering if it might be related. If everyone in San Juanico is down then for sure Exede is having a problem. I'm going down to visit him the day after tomorrow and was going to take a spare modem, Tria and ifl cable to try to get him going. Beam 88 services southern Arizona but it is a huge beam and obviously stretches all the way down to your area and if Exede ever reduced the size of the beam people in the south would lose service. Hope that is not the case now.

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2017 at 03:29 PM

mulege...speed test after Microsoft update...
I don't think its a modem or antenna problem

these updates are HUGE and if everyone is getting them the internet will stop

it took 1 hour to reboot my computer after the update was downloaded

stest.jpg - 83kB

larryC - 8-8-2017 at 04:26 PM

I don't think slow is Jeffs problem he says all Exede accounts are off line in San Juanico. Slow is a whole different problem.

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2017 at 04:46 PM

that's why I have 2 units...to check exede

the ALWAYS say we need to send a TECH to re-aim the antenna

the updates were stopping the internet here on both our units

if there are 4 lights and no internet...it's the provider

BigWooo - 8-8-2017 at 06:24 PM

I don't have Excede, I have V-Sat, but I'm trying to get info for the people in San Juanico with Excede to hopefully get them back on line. Osiris has sent us a message saying there's an outage and it should be up soon. Originally he said it would be last night or today, but everyone is still without service.

Larry, we don't know what beam Excede users have here in San Juanico. Interesting theory. I hope the town isn't outside the beam. Can you please keep us updated if you discover anything.

Well try to find out what beam SJ is on.

Salsa - 8-19-2017 at 08:09 AM

Look out for Windows 10 updates. They killed my laptop.

Don

Bob and Susan - 8-19-2017 at 10:27 AM

run this and your updates wont loop and take all the data...

winupdate.jpg - 65kB

Alm - 8-21-2017 at 02:54 PM

I'm not certain that MS updates could affect the connectivity, other than overloading the beam (if everybody is updating at the same time) and slowing it down.

Besides, it doesn't have to update everybody at the same time. If yo set your Active Hours to daytime https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027636/windows-sch... it will update in the night.

Bob and Susan - 8-21-2017 at 03:12 PM

it's called "throttling" and it sucks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

only so much data can be sent at one time so the provider slows the service and limits data transmission

Alm - 8-23-2017 at 06:53 PM

Let them call it what they want :)...
Set up your PC to update in the night.

Bob and Susan - 8-23-2017 at 07:00 PM

that doesn't work because everyone gets the update...

so the data is downloading all the time and slows the internet

Alm - 8-23-2017 at 08:35 PM

This can be done.
Settings -> Networks & Internet -> Change Connection Properties -> Metered Connection -> On.

It won't download any updates until you set Metered to Off again. You will have to turn it to Off from time to time if you don't want to deal with a whole sh-t load of updates a few months later.

More here: https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-f...

In any event, setting Active Hours won't hurt - it won't suddenly install/restart in daytime then.

Bob and Susan - 8-23-2017 at 09:29 PM

that's JUST for you...the rest of the SAT clients data still goes thru the SAT

so all data slows

changing your download time wont change the speed or SAT service

Alm - 8-24-2017 at 12:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
that's JUST for you...the rest of the SAT clients data still goes thru the SAT

so all data slows

So the rest of clients are lazy. Or they are dumb. Or - both :)... Big news...

Still makes sense for you, because your night time GB (probably) don't count towards your daytime GB. Unless your Sat plan is so big that it doesn't matter.
Enable updates download in the evening once a week, and in the morning disable it for a week again.
Besides saving GB, your PC runs smoother when it doesn't have to deal with Win downloads and your other tasks at the same time.

And you set Active Hours in daytime so that when it will download updates, it won't install it in daytime, restarting and interrupting whatever you're doing. This works no matter when you've downloaded the updates. You only set this schedule once.

[Edited on 8-24-2017 by Alm]