BajaNomad

Update on Morgan the lost/found black lab

Whale-ista - 8-11-2017 at 09:35 AM

Last week I posted a notice for Keith Berkeley, who has recently opened Black Bass Lodge in Abreojos. He was searching for Morgan, the family dog: a 1-yr old black lab.

No one realized Morgan had jumped out of the fully-loaded car (they had spent a few weeks at the lodge) when they stopped for a break on Hwy 1, and did not notice she was missing until they were many miles north. By the time they circled around and returned, she had disappeared.

The family was heartbroken, and returned to SD fearing the worst.

But- Morgan and the Baja community had other plans.

Thanks to notices and posts and messages- and her collar with ID info- Morgan was found! She was near CataviƱa covered with cactus with a badly broken leg (just saw the Xrays- ouch!). A friend of Keith's picked her up while heading north, and drove her to a vet in Ensenada.

The leg has been treated with a plate and screws- major surgery was required! She is recuperating there, awaiting the vet's OK to travel to San Diego to be reunited. Keith will post more once Morgan gets home.

I wanted to provide an update, and thank everyone who shared the info with friends, and helped locate, rescue and reunite Morgan with her family.

Thank you Nomads!

shari - 8-11-2017 at 09:44 AM

thanks for the update Lori....a great Baja story!

SFandH - 8-11-2017 at 09:51 AM

Thanks for the update. Hope the surgery works.

Lost dogs are such a bummer. Once I had to look all day to find my 15-year-old, senile best friend who just wandered off one morning while camping in baja. An intense 8 hours.

Glad for the dog and the family.:bounce:

[Edited on 8-11-2017 by SFandH]

willardguy - 8-11-2017 at 10:00 AM

she's got an amazing story to tell her dog friends! so what do they figure, she got hit by a car and was lucky enough to escape with a broken leg?

Whale-ista - 8-11-2017 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
she's got an amazing story to tell her dog friends! so what do they figure, she got hit by a car and was lucky enough to escape with a broken leg?

Hard to say- it took a lot of force for a complete break of the femur- it's a strong bone- so likely a car ... but we'll never know for sure.

Just grateful for a happy conclusion!

Whale-ista - 8-11-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Thanks for the update. Hope the surgery works.

Lost dogs are such a bummer. Once I had to look all day to find my 15-year-old, senile best friend who just wandered off one morning while camping in baja. An intense 8 hours.

Glad for the dog and the family.:bounce:

[Edited on 8-11-2017 by SFandH]

I understand- my black lab was an escape artist, and went missing one hot summer day. She was picked up by dog police at the beach, and I bailed her out of pup jail. Not a happy day for either of us!

My current pup is 15. She's a sharp-as-a-whip poodle... but I'm seeing that sharpness decline a bit.

Older dogs are good lessons in aging with grace.