BajaNomad

Ken Cooke's Replacement Vehicle

TMW - 8-11-2017 at 04:37 PM

The Bollinger BE Electric Truck.

Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmpcfza1Ibc&trk_msg=LPOV...

Bob and Susan - 8-11-2017 at 04:48 PM

last weeks news...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87127

Ken Cooke - 8-30-2017 at 07:07 PM

I am not ready to change my Jeep yet, but two tows in one weekend we're at bit much.

David K - 8-30-2017 at 08:02 PM

It's a JEEP THING! :biggrin:

TMW - 8-31-2017 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I am not ready to change my Jeep yet, but two tows in one weekend we're at bit much.

Maybe you should buy a used Toyota to pull behind your Jeep just in case.

Tioloco - 8-31-2017 at 05:09 PM

Maintenance is the best cure.
Not a Toyota available that is in the same league off road as a Jeep Wrangler. If you use it, maintain it. Just a fact

David K - 8-31-2017 at 05:20 PM

I think TW and I (as well as dozens of others here on Nomad) will agree:

Yes, there is a difference between a TRD Off Road Tacoma pickup truck and a Jeep Wrangler:

*We can carry all the camping gear and accessories we need.
*We can drive at freeway speed with ease.
*We can crawl over almost everything as we have low range, a rear locker, and even better, A-TRAC on all 4 corners. Locks any spinning tire to match the other on that axle.
*Oh, we can drive all over Baja, then use it as a daily work truck back at home, and not typically have any mechanical issues (it's not impossible, but rare).

It's not a Jeep, but that's okay... I owned a Jeep... ONCE!

Funny, I like Jeeps... they represent pure American innovation that dates back to 1940. If I had money to burn, I would own some classic Jeeps to play with, restore, etc. But, because I can only afford one vehicle and I never want to be broken down anywhere, but especially in Baja... I drive a Toyota Tacoma. RELIABILITY and ABILITY is why. Plus, my truck was made in Baja, so it's right at home down there!!!

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by David K]

Tioloco - 8-31-2017 at 05:27 PM

David-
I own many vehicles. A Tacoma is a fine vehicle for what it was designed for. My point is that it is NOT as capable offroad as a Jeep. As such, steeper driveline angles, steering angles, etc. DO require a more frequent service interval. I have always traveled to remote locales in Mexico and have never been stranded by any of my JEEPS. If I am going to go to the store to buy groceries, sprinkler parts, etc..... I will leave take my pickup truck.
Still comes back to knowing your vehicle and maintaining it properly

Tioloco - 8-31-2017 at 05:32 PM

If a person has the means, he/she should have at least one Jeep for offroad and one Toyota to go to the grocery store. Problem solved!
:-)

Lee - 8-31-2017 at 07:58 PM

Every now and then I think of buying a Jeep. Then I do the research and in all good conscience will not waste my money.

For off-roading, Jeep is the only vehicle to drive, within limits. Take it out, off-road, put it back.

Reliability is 50/50, performance is good, safety is poor to marginal, 18 mpg combined = no thanks.

2nd place is Toy Taco or 4Runner for all round off-roading and on-road comfort.

Off-road, no doubt. On-road, forgetaboutit.

willardguy - 8-31-2017 at 08:17 PM

luv the 4runner but if I were in the market I'd take a long look at one of Harald's Benz's.......but we've already done this right? :coolup:

David K - 8-31-2017 at 08:35 PM

Harald has 1 Mercedes Benz G Wagon, 1 Toyota FJ40, and 3 Grand Cherokees. You can see what needs spares, can't you?
LOL.
The Jeeps are for tours. Harald wrote books in German on four wheeling and has the English site www.4x4abc.com.

Ken Cooke - 9-4-2017 at 09:16 AM

This has been the first real issue that I have had in 14 years with 175,000 miles. The problem appears to be related to the fuel pump and/or fuel filter.

Lee - with 35" tires and 4.88 gears, fuel mileage is secondary to off road performance. The independent front suspension does not allow the Toyota to tackle sections of trail found on Cleghorn Ridge without flopping the toy on its side. With a straight axle conversion, it's a whole other story. For that reason, I went for the Jeep and not a Japanese brand.

AKgringo - 9-4-2017 at 09:58 AM

Ken, I don't know how the electronics in a jeep function, but I had fuel problems with one of my Kias. It turned out to be a bad connector between the cam sensor and the electronic control module. The sensor was not telling the ECM that the engine was turning, so it wasn't telling the pump that fuel was needed.

PaulW - 9-4-2017 at 03:38 PM

Ken, a common issue is the connector nearest to the fuel tank. Very hard to diagnose even by the dealer. I was successful with my buddies 04 TJ by getting a gadget and monitoring the fuel pressure at the engine fuel rail. The gadget is a fuel line adapter to provide the missing Schrader valve that Jeep decide was not necessary. Once you have the Schrader valve it is pretty simple to hook up a mechanical gauge. The final fix was to replace both ends of the connector at the tank.
The dealer fix which was unsuccessful was to replace the pump/filter inside the tank. Worthless and expensive.

Ken Cooke - 9-4-2017 at 08:02 PM

Paul,

Was the installation of this Schrader valve difficult? Did you have the work performed by a shop, or did you do this yourself?

Lee - 9-4-2017 at 09:30 PM

Lee - with 35" tires and 4.88 gears, fuel mileage is secondary to off road performance. The independent front suspension does not allow the Toyota to tackle sections of trail found on Cleghorn Ridge without flopping the toy on its side. With a straight axle conversion, it's a whole other story. For that reason, I went for the Jeep and not a Japanese brand.

Ken - at the level you perform at, there is only one option: Jeep.

Nothing else comes close. Be care out there. Salute.

Lots of Jeeps around here

Stickers - 9-4-2017 at 09:36 PM

A neighbor parks his beautiful Wrangler Sport in the street by my house.
With all due respect to Ken, what is his license plate trying to say :?::lol:

IMG_3806.jpg - 214kB

TMW - 9-5-2017 at 02:10 PM

The guy is a navy reserve nurse.

mtgoat666 - 9-5-2017 at 02:25 PM

And a really poor speller

Ken Cooke - 9-5-2017 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

For now, I am driving the Honda Pilot that I inherited several years ago. It is comfortable, quiet, and has excellent road manners. The suspension is sacked out, and needs a heavier set of coils and shocks. If it wasn't a 2wd and had AWD, I would have already set it up with a set of 265 BFG AT/KO²s.. For now, it is as stock as any Pilot at the mall..

PaulW - 9-6-2017 at 07:01 AM

Ken,
U2U sent for details for adding the Schrader valve or tee

Ken Cooke - 9-8-2017 at 10:05 PM

Thank you Paul. I will take this information to a good mechanic and ask him if he feels confident looking at this issue.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2017 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

For now, I am driving the Honda Pilot that I inherited several years ago. It is comfortable, quiet, and has excellent road manners. The suspension is sacked out, and needs a heavier set of coils and shocks. If it wasn't a 2wd and had AWD, I would have already set it up with a set of 265 BFG AT/KO²s.. For now, it is as stock as any Pilot at the mall..

Ken,
You have already learned the 2 most important things about jeep ownership. 1, always own a reliable second car (preferably Japanese) so you have a car to go to work; and 2, always travel off-road in a convoy, as jeeps are so unreliable that you have high risk of being stranded if you travel off-road alone.

ehall - 9-9-2017 at 07:09 AM

These jeep bashing threads are always entertaining. Thanks.

bajatrailrider - 9-9-2017 at 07:12 AM

Even better when the bashing comes from someone that is clueless. :bounce:

David K - 9-9-2017 at 09:19 AM

I hope Ken takes it in good heart... I feel a little qualified to 'bash' because I am former (recovering?) JEEP owner and still do LOVE JEEPS... I just would never own one or depend on one... because (I can't believe I am saying it) the Mt.Goat is correct.

It is really sad that quality parts or quality assembly are missing from what would be an outstanding vehicle otherwise. The other reason I don't have a JEEP is they have NO TRUCK (yet) despite years of saying the truck was coming following years since Chrysler bought AMC/JEEP and soon dropped their smaller or mid size Comanche Truck (as it competed with their new Dodge Dakota). The full-size Jeep trucks (J-10, J-20) were dropped a few years earlier by AMC.

OK, all that history being stated, the Wrangler model (and the CJ series it replaced) is hard to replace with other brands. It basically is a descendant of the WWII military JEEP (MB & GPW) and can carry two people and very little else over most anything. Jeep copycats such as the Land Rover Series I, II, Defender, Toyota FJ40, Nissan Patrol, International Scout, Ford Bronco, Suzuki Brute, Samuri, Sidekick have all come and gone, but the JEEP Wrangler is still here!

We can only hope the people at Fiat (who bought Chrysler/JEEP from Daimler-Benz) will improve things... but that doesn't seem likely being that both FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) and JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket) have such humorous acronyms!

Stay happy Ken and I am always happy to four wheel with you (and I do carry a tow strap in my truck)!

TMW - 9-9-2017 at 10:02 AM

Ken when are you going to do the No Wimp Trail. It may be closed off soon. John M and I are ready when you are. John has the GPS route all set to go. Just a little leg work in the Trinidad arroyo is all that's needed.

David K - 9-9-2017 at 02:23 PM

Tom, I had lunch with John M a few days ago and he also sure loves the No Wimps Trail and really was pushing for me to go next time with you guys. That would be THREE Toyota Tacomas, so Ken should feel really safe about driving his JEEP in there with us!!!

:light::biggrin::bounce::coolup:;)

Hey Ken, one of these trips a Toyota MIGHT break down, and you can have fun at our expense! :lol:

rts551 - 9-9-2017 at 02:45 PM

How quickly some forget Ken.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=60051
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?156930-Tacoma-frame-recal...
http://www.realworldautomotive.com/shoptalk-questions-toyota...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/60-t-100-forum/1153009-cra...

PaulW - 9-9-2017 at 02:48 PM

no wimps is on my to do list in November

David K - 9-9-2017 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Not a frame recall or frame problem with my three Tacomas (2001, 2005, 2010), so I didn't forget anything, and BajaBoy still drives a Tacoma (last I heard).
In fact, more Toyotas (4Runners, FJ Cruisers, Tacomas, Tundras, and others) are owned by Nomads than most any other brand it would seem. I think Ford may be a close second, followed by Jeep and Dodge (Ram)?
My first Tacoma (in 2000) was encouraged strongly by Amigos de Baja members, who (led by Neal Johns) seemed to overwhelmingly be Tacoma owners for reliability. Heck, even Doug (BajaNomad) drives a Tacoma!
Are they perfect? NO! They are just better than anything else under $40,000 most would say. We just smile during and after Baja trips because they don't need anything done to make them drivable during or after a trip. Batteries and tires not included, LOL!

rts551 - 9-9-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Not a frame recall or frame problem with my three Tacomas (2001, 2005, 2010), so I didn't forget anything, and BajaBoy still drives a Tacoma (last I heard).
In fact, more Toyotas (4Runners, FJ Cruisers, Tacomas, Tundras, and others) are owned by Nomads than most any other brand it would seem. I think Ford may be a close second, followed by Jeep and Dodge (Ram)?
My first Tacoma (in 2000) was encouraged strongly by Amigos de Baja members, who (led by Neal Johns) seemed to overwhelmingly be Tacoma owners for reliability. Heck, even Doug (BajaNomad) drives a Tacoma!
Are they perfect? NO! They are just better than anything else under $40,000 most would say. We just smile during and after Baja trips because they don't need anything done to make them drivable during or after a trip. Batteries and tires not included, LOL!

285,000 on my 1993 F250... one clutch.. 245,000 on my 2002 f250 more than just ocassional trips to Baja never missed a beat... 75,000 on my 2013 RAM almost all Baja miles never missed a beat.....and those are real trucks.... It does not HAVE to be a Toyota to be reliable (although I buy Japanese for my wife's cars)...and I can haul or tow stuff.

ehall - 9-9-2017 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Ken when are you going to do the No Wimp Trail. It may be closed off soon. John M and I are ready when you are. John has the GPS route all set to go. Just a little leg work in the Trinidad arroyo is all that's needed.

It's on my list also but unfortunately I am booked till sometime after the first of the year. Probably has changed again since Lidia.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2017 at 06:56 PM

Ken,
Eat rid of the heep and get something luxurious and practical -- treat your lady like a princessa: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-california-xxl-con...

A Camper Van??

Ken Cooke - 9-9-2017 at 09:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Ken,
Eat rid of the heep and get something luxurious and practical -- treat your lady like a princessa: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-california-xxl-con...

A camper van??? Why would I be satisfied with that?:?:
I was looking at the Diesel Brothers Diesel Resellerz site today and would love a Super Duty on 40's,but a Tacoma or a VW van??

My good friend Mike had a Fuel pump issue with his LJ Rubicon, and with $400 he had the problem fixed. This isn't a serious problem. If problems persist, I will replace with another Jeep or some serious American Beef. I have a Honda Pilot that gets plenty of daily driving that is also a low polutter, gets good mileage and carries my DJ gear when I play Techno parties.

ehall - 9-10-2017 at 07:00 AM

I put a new fuel pump in my jeep recently. About 3 hours and a floor jack was all that was needed. Tried to get the oem bosch pump but they were back ordered everywhere. Had to settle for a different brand.

Fuel Pump

J.P. - 9-10-2017 at 09:44 AM

I recently had a new fuel pump put on my 4.0 Wrangler, it cured the hard start problem but it sounds like rock crusher when running.:fire:

Ken Cooke - 9-10-2017 at 10:49 AM

My friend who maintains six-figure buggy's is coming over to diagnose my Jeep this afternoon. I should have a better idea of what the problem and subsequent solution will be.

surfhat - 9-10-2017 at 11:42 AM

VW diesel Crafters are finally going to be available in the States?

It is about time. Their 4 wheel drive versions a few years ago featured lockers, front and rear. That would be a serious improvement compared to anything else on the market, when it comes to vans.

After the recent VW debacle, I hold little hope that any diesel from them would make it to the States.

If so, it is all for the better for the off road van market.

The problem with all current diesel models being detuned with unreliable smog parts persists. DEF Ad Blue, DPF, and even the EGR systems can leave people stranded and clog up intake manifolds and more. Add in the limitations of ULSD only further limits the range until Mexico offers ULSD nation-wide or at least Baja wide.

I doubt the new diesel Crafters will change any of that, but having front and rear lockers is a good thing. The new Sprinters AWD systems should have lockers but don't in the States.

If Crafters still offer this locker option, they are a step ahead of others in the offroad 4 wheel drive van market. Thanks to all here.

David K - 9-10-2017 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
The new Sprinters AWD systems should have lockers but don't in the States.

Are lockers actually useful on an active AWD system? My understanding about the Subarus, for example, is that if three wheels are low on traction, the power will mostly go to the other one that feels grip. :?:

Subaru has always impressed me with their power plant and drive. I owned three Subarus, all back when they were four-wheel-drive, not all-wheel-drive. When Subaru changed to AWD, they did not include a LOW RANGE transfer case, as when they were 4WD. That ended my Subaru purchasing... but I also needed a truck bed and neither the BRAT or BAJA models had the cargo area I needed in their beds.

All wheel drive does not (typically) deliver equal power to the front and rear, it is split unevenly and that generally makes them less able off road but great for slippery highway driving. Having LOW RANGE is so key to BAD ROAD or NO ROAD situations where power and lots of torque is critical to climb up or crawl through bad stuff.

I have read reviews of Subaru's AWD system, and it does sound like they have an awesome limited-slip incorporated that will let one tire (any tire) with traction to pull the vehicle on through when the other three are spinning. The same feature is in my Tacoma's A-TRAC system, and I have benefitted from that!

[Edited on 9-10-2017 by David K]

PaulW - 9-11-2017 at 02:06 AM

Things are really going down hill when Subaru becomes part of the discussion about the issues with jeeps. Daily drivers hardly compare.

JEEP to SUBARU, thank you Tom Miller!

David K - 9-11-2017 at 08:17 AM

It is the driver more than the vehicle. I had my 1975.5 Jeep Cherokee Chief for only two years, it was so terrible for a new vehicle, always in the shop and things got expensive after the 12,000-mile warranty ended! Here is a rare time I actually had my Jeep in Baja, during the 1975 Baja 1000 going from Diablo Dry Lake to San Felipe after watching the racers heading south at Valle de Trinidad:

Tom Miller, author of The Baja Book and others got really excited about Subarus and heavily promoted the 4WD wagon (and later the BRAT pickup). His reporting on how good the Subaru did in the sand south of San Felipe, calling it a "super sand bug" had me looking at the little wagons. For what I sold my Jeep for, I was able to buy a new Subaru in full.

The Subaru (1977.5 model) was a relief to owning a Jeep. It never broke down and had an unlimited miles warranty, for 12 months. I know I put close to 40,000 miles on it that year going to Baja over and over!

I drove my Subaru to Gonzaga Bay in 1979 over the virtually impassable grades... my muffler is still there! I took it to Rancho Matomi the year before!

13" wheels and no low range on my first two Subaru 4WD wagons. Is not easy to off road with.
If you just got to go to Baja, then you learn how to drive what you got!

Me and my Subaru, November 1979, pre-running the Baja 1000, south of Puertecitos.

Here it is in Calamajué Canyon, the next day. Camped by Alfonsina's.

My first Subaru had the 'Safari' package: white Jackman style wheels, a push bar, skid plate, and 4WD stripes... I added the KC Off Road lights.
Nearing El Crucero, where my first section of driving the 1000 was over. Sadly, our Class 6 race car (Datsun 510) broke down before I got behind the wheel!

The Subaru of today has taller wheels, more ground clearance, but is AWD and has no low range... and does not have a truck. It is not a true off road vehicle, just an ALL road vehicle if you are careful and skilled.

[Edited on 9-11-2017 by David K]

willardguy - 9-11-2017 at 08:56 AM

wow thanks david....its been weeks since we've been treated to those photo's of you and your subaru! :lol:

Barry A. - 9-11-2017 at 10:16 AM

Excellent post, David. The pictures help to authenticate your accurate statement on Subaru's. My son just sold his Subaru "Baja" truck-like 4x4 vehicle which he loved. He drove it just shy of 300K miles with almost no problems, much of it in Baja and elsewhere on dirt roads, but it was just getting creaky. He replaced it with a Ford Raptor which he loves too.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Barry A.]

David K - 9-11-2017 at 01:43 PM

Raptors are pretty bad ass trucks... as long as they have stronger spindles than stock or if the newest models got upgraded.

Barry A. - 9-11-2017 at 08:48 PM

Raptors are pretty bad ass trucks... as long as they have stronger spindles than stock or if the newest models got upgraded.

His Raptor is a 2010 model year, and so far so good.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Barry A.]

Jeep update

Ken Cooke - 9-11-2017 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Things are really going down hill when Subaru becomes part of the discussion about the issues with jeeps. Daily drivers hardly compare.

The diagnostic equipment did not turn up any consistent problems unlike David's 1977 Cherokee Chief. My Dad's old full size Cherokee got my whole family to Tennessee and back - through the old country back roads in Oklahoma, along the Colorado mountain passes, etc without a single hickup! My Dad prepped the Jeep (that he bought a few years used) and never had an issue. It drank gasoline but it was well built and bulletproof American solid steel. My experience with the Jeep brand is the polar opposite of David Ks. That said...

With a little help from my friends,the fuel pump, fuel filter pcv valves and spark plugs will be changed. Other than that, I don't expect there to be any other problems. My plan is to make the repairs then drive the Jeep daily to work. Then in the winter do some off road runs. If it doesn't have any problems, then problem solved. No lightweight 4Runner, ugly SUBARU or boxy VW Van purchases will be necessary.

David K - 9-11-2017 at 10:22 PM

1975 1/2 Cherokee Chief (introduced new model, mid year)
1977 1/2 Subaru Wagon (1978 style model, early in the intro year)

Back in those days, if the model was a new and it was mid year, it had to be mid year dated. Today, I think they can now call it next year's model?

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2017 at 10:37 PM

With a little help from my friends,the fuel pump, fuel filter pcv valves and spark plugs will be changed. Other than that, I don't expect there to be any other problems....

If it doesn't have any problems, then problem solved. No lightweight 4Runner, ugly SUBARU or boxy VW Van purchases will be necessary.

You just used word "problem" three times to describe your jeep...

I don't think I ever used the word "problem" when talking about my "lightweight" 4Runner. My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

Speaking of lightweights, I now got an all-aluminum f-150. Great traveling car, even if it is a "lightweight."

:lol:

Tioloco - 9-12-2017 at 07:54 AM

GOAT-
An F150 is NOT a traveling "car"..... and even with the new aluminum body would be hard to call a "lightweight".
It is a very well built truck. Just FYI

A greyhound bus carries more people and gear than a Jeep as well. Does that make a greyhound bus a better vehicle than your 4Runner?

Ken Cooke - 9-16-2017 at 10:28 AM

My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

Speaking of lightweights, I now got an all-aluminum f-150. Great traveling car, even if it is a "lightweight."

I once had a Ford Ranger - the one that left me stranded on the Observatory Road, and a footnote in Graham Macintoshs book in 2001. Long story short, I overloaded and overworked that lightweight pickup. It was fun, but just not built for the uses that I needed. The frontend went through shock bushings almost daily when I drove down Hwy 1 to Cabo in Y2K. No real traction control when I nearly slid off the trail past Mike's Sky Rancho around the same time. These problems made me rethink the platform and go with my current Jeep.

I have unfortunately outgrown the tiny interior as I have to carry my fridge in order that I can have my fruits, vegetables and vegan staples on a daily basis and not the usual junk I used to subsist on when going on multiday trips. I'm thinking that a JL Rubicon will more likely fit my needs much better with it's ability to run a 35-37" tire without the need to lift it too high - impairing my ability to load my DOMETIC fridge like if I had a lifted SuperDuty on 37-40" tires.

My parts from Rock Auto will come in this weekend and next week I hope to get started on the parts installation. My current 2003 Rubicon still has plenty of life left but it takes a shoe horn to fit the same gear that I can effortlessly place in the back of my 2WD Honda Pilot.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 9-16-2017 at 12:00 PM

A JL Ruby would be great for you if not a 4Runner like the way Roy's was fixed up (he so regrets selling it and getting the Land Rover!).

Ken Cooke - 9-17-2017 at 09:32 AM

A JL Ruby would be great for you if not a 4Runner like the way Roy's was fixed up (he so regrets selling it and getting the Land Rover!).

What exactly is the status on Roy's Land Rover? They are expensive to maintain from what I hear. Parts are difficult to source here in the United States. I agree with you David K.

TMW - 9-17-2017 at 11:03 AM

Roy's Land Rover is still running. He had a dead battery a couple of days ago that he had to jump start to get it going. I don't think parts are hard to get just expensive. Roy wants to sell it if you are anyone is interested. He bought a new chevy Colorado 4x4 diesel that he is prepping for off road.

[Edited on 9-17-2017 by TMW]

woody with a view - 9-17-2017 at 05:29 PM

Ken, I feel Your pain. My 03 Tundra needs sterring rack bushings. $35 shipped. My neighbor is an ASE Toyota wrench turner and he says only the middle bushing is replaceable. I bought all three poly bushings and DL'd directions to replace all three. I'm gonna give him a Cnote to do the replacement. That, and a couple of whole Yellowtail in a month!

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2017 at 06:02 PM

Ken,
For 3 or 4 day trips, you really don't need to refrigerate fruits and veggies....
Food for thought :lol:

My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

I once had a Ford Ranger - the one that left me stranded on the Observatory Road, and a footnote in Graham Macintoshs book in 2001. Long story short, I overloaded and overworked that lightweight pickup. It was fun, but just not built for the uses that I needed. The frontend went through shock bushings almost daily when I drove down Hwy 1 to Cabo in Y2K. No real traction control when I nearly slid off the trail past Mike's Sky Rancho around the same time. These problems made me rethink the platform and go with my current Jeep.

I have unfortunately outgrown the tiny interior as I have to carry my fridge in order that I can have my fruits, vegetables and vegan staples on a daily basis and not the usual junk I used to subsist on when going on multiday trips. I'm thinking that a JL Rubicon will more likely fit my needs much better with it's ability to run a 35-37" tire without the need to lift it too high - impairing my ability to load my DOMETIC fridge like if I had a lifted SuperDuty on 37-40" tires.

My parts from Rock Auto will come in this weekend and next week I hope to get started on the parts installation. My current 2003 Rubicon still has plenty of life left but it takes a shoe horn to fit the same gear that I can effortlessly place in the back of my 2WD Honda Pilot.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 9-19-2017 at 10:28 PM

Ken,
For 3 or 4 day trips, you really don't need to refrigerate fruits and veggies....
Food for thought :lol:

I have traveled with ice water in my hummus - it just makes the hummus go farther, I guess. Green beans can be eaten canned, but I get tired of canned food. I can eat canned tuna and crackers, or make Meatless tacos with crisp onions and fresh cilantro. Like I said, my nutritional needs have forced me to rethink how I camp or do road trips in order that I can continue doing this activity.

As for the Jeep, the fuel pump was the culprit. I am driving the Jeep tomorrow to work while the Pilot goes in for service. I really missed not driving my Jeep..

bajatrailrider - 9-20-2017 at 08:47 AM

Get that great jeep going. As I witnessed the most capable off road machine ever

willardguy - 9-20-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
luv the 4runner but if I were in the market I'd take a long look at one of Harald's Benz's.......but we've already done this right? :coolup:

hey Ken next time in the neighborhood ask Aldo how he likes his new G-class! :yes:

Ken Cooke - 9-20-2017 at 07:23 PM

Update: $1,600.00 estimate for the Honda Pilot! I plan on garaging Dad's old Pilot (R.I.P.) while I drive the Jeep for the rest of this calendar year.

So, the Jeep will be getting plenty of daily usage and weekend adventures!!:bounce:

David K - 9-20-2017 at 09:45 PM

What's wrong with the Honda? Find an independent mechanic who can do whatever at half the cost of a dealership... maybe less.

Ken, I'm confused!

AKgringo - 9-21-2017 at 10:45 AM

In the last line of your reply to goat, you said "I missed not driving the Jeep".

If that is the case, you need to fix the Pilot so you can continue to not drive the Jeep!

Was this a Freudian slip, or Honda love? :?:

wessongroup - 9-22-2017 at 08:44 AM

Thanks Ken for being such a good sport on your vehicle ... one does become attached to vehicles ... especially when they do their own work on them .... ya get to know how to tear stuff down really quick and it just isn't all that hard .... for some .... and I've seen a lot of the work you have done on your jeep

Really like David K's point:

"If you just got to go to Baja, then you learn how to drive what you got!"

Which is very true ... one must adjust, all are not the same nor equal

[Edited on 9-22-2017 by wessongroup]

bajatrailrider - 9-22-2017 at 08:51 AM

That is half right. The Mexicans can drive small two wheel drive cars, with bald tires. Where Gringos would not dare go with lifted 4x4s.:)

David K - 9-22-2017 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
That is half right. The Mexicans can drive small two wheel drive cars, with bald tires. Where Gringos would not dare go with lifted 4x4s.:)

Yep, and it cracks me up to see them drive 2WD pickups on the beach to set their nets or whatever... bald tires and maybe at 10 psi.

willardguy - 9-22-2017 at 04:12 PM

Yep, and it cracks me up to see them drive 2WD pickups on the beach to set their nets or whatever... bald tires and maybe at 10 psi.

why does that crack you up, aired down BALD tires out perform anything in the sand....

David K - 9-22-2017 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

why does that crack you up, aired down BALD tires out perform anything in the sand....

I agree, it cracks me up that we (norteamericanos) feel the need (for ease and security) to only take a 4WD into deep sand... sometimes with tires deflated, as well. I am talking gulf side sand (steep, crushed shells in the mix), not the easy, flat beaches of the Pacific side.

Ken Cooke - 9-23-2017 at 04:36 AM

Jeep update: While driving it home, it lost power less than one mile from home. After 20 minutes on the side of the road, it fired up and I was able to drive a it home. This morning, I will take it in to the shop. I may have received a bad fuel pump, but once a full diagnostic test is run, I won't know the full extent of what the problem is.

David K - 9-23-2017 at 08:26 AM

Sorry, you are having these issues with your old girl! 2003 is a long time ago. Over on Facebook, in your thread, I looked at that link for future Jeep models and the JT (Jeep Wrangler Truck) is coming out late next year (they say). Maybe then it will be time to reward yourself?

TMW - 9-23-2017 at 11:21 AM

Ken I had a similar problem with my GMC and it was the fuel pump.

woody with a view - 9-23-2017 at 11:34 AM

keep digging into it. you don't want a car payment do you?

Ken Cooke - 9-24-2017 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
keep digging into it. you don't want a car payment do you?

It is not until you don't have a car payment that it becomes feasible to travel any regularity. The problem turned out to be a simple clock position sensor. When it heated up after idling 3 hours on the computer,the Jeep simply shut itself off. The new fuel pump/filter/pressure regulator was functioning correctly. I was almost thinking about trading my Jeep in for a 4 door Rubicon with an expensive monthly payment..