BajaNomad

Hotel Francis

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2017 at 10:02 AM

Recently spent 2 nights in Santa Rosalia and the second night I stayed at the Hotel Francis.

Such a historical hotel ... if only the rooms could talk. I loved my room. The floor squeaked like a haunted house! A/C was excellent, let me assure you, it was ridiculously hot in S. Rosalia.

Pictures later but I wanted to say that the staff was ever so friendly. Breakfast was just toast and coffee in the most beautiful setting possible. Such a shame but they don't serve lunch or dinner.

TMW - 8-12-2017 at 11:30 AM

I've often thought of staying there when passing thru but never did. What do they charge for the rooms.

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2017 at 01:24 PM

My single was $900 something! Not inexpensive by any means. The sad part was the pool looked so dirty, not that I was interested in going in but still.

Fatboy - 8-12-2017 at 02:55 PM

We stayed there years ago because of the history, it was cool, we loved the old rooms also.

bajabuddha - 8-12-2017 at 03:11 PM

It's a shame they quit serving meals and running the bar... we used to always make a point of having lunch and libations there just for the ambiance when it was full-service. Prolly been over 10 years since they went low-key; was hoping the mine would bring more business to them, but alas, it's times past now... loved sitting and admiring all the century-old craftsmanship.

As you said Blanca, if walls could talk...

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2017 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
It's a shame they quit serving meals and running the bar... we used to always make a point of having lunch and libations there just for the ambiance when it was full-service. Prolly been over 10 years since they went low-key; was hoping the mine would bring more business to them, but alas, it's times past now... loved sitting and admiring all the century-old craftsmanship.

As you said Blanca, if walls could talk...

the hotel is full most evenings ...arrive early or make a reservation

its doing very well

food service doesn't make money...
the bar might...but an American coming to buy a beer and sit
around to enjoy the history doesn't

no need for food service...there are lots of places to eat in town

one family can easily "cloud up" a pool
if a pool has a swim up bar beware...lots of people drink "rented" beer and don't get out for hours

[Edited on 8-12-2017 by Bob and Susan]

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2017 at 03:43 PM

OMGosh

It was hotter than Hades outside

I was carless and desperate until staff suggested and ordered a pizza for me. It was a large medium (smallest size they had), so it became lunch and dinner.

Food at Hotel Francis would have been most helpful!

tiotomasbcs - 8-12-2017 at 03:54 PM

Bogie & Hepburn? John Wayne? Down here you can stay at Las Cruces outside of La Paz on Sea of Cortez and witness the Spirits of many Hollywood Stars. On the high end, tho. Anyone ever stay there?

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2017 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
OMGosh

It was hotter than Hades outside

I was carless and desperate until staff suggested and ordered a pizza for me. It was a large medium (smallest size they had), so it became lunch and dinner.

Food at Hotel Francis would have been most helpful!

why didn't you call a taxi...they aren't too expensive and they would have probably waited for you

[Edited on 8-12-2017 by Bob and Susan]

TMW - 8-12-2017 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Bogie & Hepburn? John Wayne? Down here you can stay at Las Cruces outside of La Paz on Sea of Cortez and witness the Spirits of many Hollywood Stars. On the high end, tho. Anyone ever stay there?

For $368 US it should be a great place.

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2017 at 05:20 PM

it was too hot. even to call a cab. I don't deal well with heat at all.

TW - your math....

John M - 8-13-2017 at 08:35 PM

900 pesos is around $50 USD

JM

KurtG - 8-14-2017 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
900 pesos is around $50 USD

JM

I think he is referring to the rate at Las Cruces.

TMW - 8-14-2017 at 12:20 PM

Yes I look Las Cruces up on line and Booking had it for $368. $50 dollars for the Francis is more my price.

bajabuddha - 8-15-2017 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Agree, lovely building but I'd sure want a fire exit strategy if staying there; the place is a tinderbox!

That's why I always go by the old adage, "Never smoke in bed, for the sleeping bag you burn may be your wife". :spingrin: