BajaNomad

Basura

weebray - 8-15-2017 at 06:15 PM

If you were born before 1951 don't read on. This won't appeal to you as, most likely, you believe that recycling is a 60's hippie conspiracy. Anyway my neighbor just showed me his great score of HD garbage bags for less than a buck each. I showed him what we use - "costals" Mexican word for gunny sacks. Usually free at the torterilla with purchase. Super strong, super large, go get some - do it today!

MMc - 8-15-2017 at 06:20 PM

Thanks! I learn something new everyday...

Howard - 8-15-2017 at 06:45 PM

Actually it's a beatnik conspiracy, not a long hair hippy thing! :biggrin:

SFandH - 8-15-2017 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
If you were born before 1951 don't read on. This won't appeal to you as, most likely, you believe that recycling is a 60's hippie conspiracy. Anyway my neighbor just showed me his great score of HD garbage bags for less than a buck each. I showed him what we use - "costals" Mexican word for gunny sacks. Usually free at the torterilla with purchase. Super strong, super large, go get some - do it today!

Hey not all of us pre-1951ers are cave dwelling troglodytes. :cool:

Are you talking about empty flour sacks available at tortillerias?

AKgringo - 8-15-2017 at 07:13 PM

Up in northern CA, I go to a local coffee roaster for semi fragrant gunny sacks! Some of them could almost pass for low budget wall décor.

One of the things I use them for is gathering pine cones to use as kindling for my wood stove.

Another use for Basura (the word, not the product)

AKgringo - 8-15-2017 at 07:28 PM

I was fortunate enough to visit Mexico several times in the late 50s, and early 60s. When we would go to the local movie theater to watch American movies, they were in English with Spanish sub titles.

It was fun to read along, and try to match our fledgling Spanish skills with the words spoken. We found that curse words were translated as 'Basura' (garbage)!

sancho - 8-16-2017 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
If you were born before 1951 don't read on. This won't appeal to you as, most likely, you believe that recycling is a 60's hippie conspiracy

Como? 1950 for me, adopted the conservation, save the planet,
tree hugging ideology after hiking the Sierras in Ca., early '70's