BajaNomad

Gays La Fonda

Ricky - 8-18-2017 at 07:34 AM

Went to Gary's La Fonda the other day. Must say, the food has gone way down hill. It was so bad, we asked Gary to come over, he did, he shrugged his shoulders, said, must be because he has a new cook, and walked away. Never again!

Lee - 8-18-2017 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ricky  
Went to Gary's La Fonda the other day. Must say, the food has gone way down hill. It was so bad, we asked Gary to come over, he did, he shrugged his shoulders, said, must be because he has a new cook, and walked away. Never again!

You're referring to La Fonda on Calle Nicholas Bravo, of course, in La Paz. Who's Gary?

Pescador - 8-18-2017 at 08:18 AM

No La Fonda at Rosarito Beach, North of Ensenada. We always go to Dymitri's La Fonda as we prefer the food, atmosphere , and adult beverages.

Udo - 8-18-2017 at 08:30 AM

Where is the La Fonda you are referring to?

Who is Gary?

DanO - 8-18-2017 at 09:41 AM

He's referring to the "new" La Fonda hotel/restaurant, which is on the north end of the "old" one. They are separate but far from equal operations. We just spent a night at the latter, food and drinks were great, beds were comfy, and my wife enjoyed a deep tissue massage at the spa in the morning (for a fraction of NOB prices, yay!) while I enjoyed, uh, more of the food and drinks.

Also, the OP should consider correcting the spelling of Gary's name in the title of his post.

AKgringo - 8-18-2017 at 10:28 AM

With so many 'La Fonda' locations popping up, I decided to check for a translation. Fonda comes back as, "cheap restaurant, boarding house (Latin America)".

A new word for me!

DENNIS - 8-18-2017 at 10:37 AM

Dymitri is gay? ohhhmeeeohhmy

basautter - 8-18-2017 at 03:42 PM

This is how rumors get started! Need to correct the title :?:

Howard - 8-18-2017 at 04:00 PM

This whole thread sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

"La Fonda, which La Fonda, Oh that La Fonda", etc., etc

bajabuddha - 8-18-2017 at 04:08 PM

.. better than Gays La Fumunda.... do NOT try the queso plate! :barf:

woody with a view - 8-18-2017 at 05:18 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

del mar - 8-18-2017 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Not that there's anything wrong with that....

:lol: he's the phone man!

BajaTed - 8-18-2017 at 08:31 PM

Nearly back on subject;
The Poco Cielo restaurant just north of both La Fonda's does a good Oysters Rockefeller Baja style. (when they have fresh oysters)

Recommend trying

Ricky - 8-18-2017 at 10:29 PM

Dymitri Isn't gay! His wife is rather cute for a woman of a certain age

David K - 8-19-2017 at 12:55 AM

Click Edit, fix the title if you want 'Gary' and not 'Gay' there, click save. It is that easy.

DanO - 8-19-2017 at 09:34 AM

Indeed. She and Joe were both running the show last week.

gsbotanico - 8-19-2017 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
With so many 'La Fonda' locations popping up, I decided to check for a translation. Fonda comes back as, "cheap restaurant, boarding house (Latin America)".

A new word for me!

A better translation is inn or guest house. The word is used commonly throughout Mexico. If the original post had said La Fonda in La Misión, the location would have been clear.

DENNIS - 8-19-2017 at 01:01 PM

Maybe Dymitri's son, Brad, is gay. Is that what it is? We need to get to the bottom [no pun intended] of this.

willardguy - 8-19-2017 at 01:07 PM

Brad died a few years ago in a mexican jail:no:

David K - 8-19-2017 at 04:24 PM

'La Fonda', like 'La Bocana' and 'Agua Caliente', can be the name of multiple locations in so many places in Mexico, it really needs a state and/or nearby city attached!

willardguy - 8-19-2017 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
'La Fonda', like 'La Bocana' and 'Agua Caliente', can be the name of multiple locations in so many places in Mexico, it really needs a state and/or nearby city attached!

or a name like "Gary's La Fonda" how hard is that?:rolleyes:

gsbotanico - 8-20-2017 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
A better translation is inn or guest house.

You've actually heard it used that way in Mexico? I have often heard it referring to food establishments, but never to a place with rooms.

Yes, especially in mainland Mexico It is usually used with smaller establishments, a carry over from Spain. In Baja everything is relatively new, so traditions have changed, although La Fonda in La Misión is both restaurant and hotel. The long established La Fonda de Roberto in Tijuana was attached to a motel. Roberto and his wife were originally from Puebla. The restaurant moved its location some years ago, and the motel has recently been demolished after being mostly vacant.

chippy - 8-20-2017 at 12:22 PM

Fondas down here are food stalls in muni markets.

willardguy - 8-20-2017 at 01:24 PM

keep in mind when it was built in the early 60's it didn't have rooms, just a small restaurant, or la fonda

DENNIS - 8-20-2017 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Fondas down here are food stalls in muni markets.

Hopefully not down here but, how about commie Jane... the Cal #1 homos' beeyitch?

bajabuddha - 8-20-2017 at 04:53 PM

Seems Dennis sure has a fixation on gays.... "Thou protesteth too much, methinks" :rolleyes:

chuckie - 8-20-2017 at 07:50 PM

Jane Fonda?

DENNIS - 8-21-2017 at 03:29 PM

Ahhh.... Chuckie, Thanks, but don't scrap with the crap.

Anyway....here's a qualified translation:

http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/fonda

I'm doubting any one of you speak the code of the land you profess to be experts of....... so live, and learn.

Here's a few more imported terms you'll claim to know all about :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Spani...

[Edited on 8-22-2017 by DENNIS]

BajaBlanca - 8-22-2017 at 03:18 PM

Years ago, when we went to La Paz, a resident there took us to dinner at La Fonda and at the time he told me it meant an inexpensive restaurant.

I am pretty sure I wrote a review at the time.
l
On the mainland, we had a tough time using the GPS since many towns are listed by their official name...spent HOURS trying to get to some town that we knew was only 1 hour away from Mexico City. The upside was that we got to eat some really unique food along the way.

carlosg - 8-22-2017 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Years ago, when we went to La Paz, a resident there took us to dinner at La Fonda and at the time he told me it meant an inexpensive restaurant.

¿Got fondas? (Check second floor, click to enlarge).

So who recognizes THIS place? :bounce:

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by lencho]

Mercado San Juan de Dios... ALL the fondas you may want to try... "caldo michi", "birria", "pozole", "menudo", "chiles rellenos" and on and on... when I lived in Guadalajara this was one of my favorite spots... a whole day adventure as many times as I visited, never a dull moment... always something different... then to "Plaza de los Mariachis"...

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by carlosg]

carlosg - 8-22-2017 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
\when I lived in Guadalajara this was one of my favorite spots...

I agree; the public market is my beeline point every place I arrive, and if I were forced to choose one single spot in Mexico to eat day after day, this would be it.

Ku méejtech uutsil...