BajaNomad

STORM REPORTS from 14E..maybe Lidia...weather & road updates

Pages:  1  2  

JZ - 9-1-2017 at 04:18 PM

In San Carlos on the mainland:

https://youtu.be/kbyfK3gVH3o

shari - 9-1-2017 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Maybe even wetter in the hills to the west. I wonder how the new park in Santa Rosalia will hold up.

there is now no passage between GN & Sta.Rosalia....arroyo flooded.

David K - 9-1-2017 at 04:33 PM

The evening news here in San Diego only shows the location and says it is a tropical storm with 60 mph winds. They say the outter bands may make rain here in a couple days.

Udo - 9-1-2017 at 04:58 PM

Wind from the East...HMMMM!

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
We have thousands of monarch butterflies and some big dragon flies which are unusual here flying all around sucking nectar from the jasmine & nasturtiums like there is no tomorrow. They appear all beat up the poor things.

the wind has picked up to about 30 knots or more from the east so lots of dust & had to close the doors..one last jump in the pool before I cover it...again. Can hardly see town now...and so it begins..tick tick tick

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by shari]

bajabuddha - 9-1-2017 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Maybe even wetter in the hills to the west. I wonder how the new park in Santa Rosalia will hold up.

The entire geography of the greater Mulege area is a giant catcher's mitt that funnels into a tiny opening at the mouth. This storm track is the worst possible for that area in general, and yet again you're gonna have to 'dig out' of the mess and mud. Sta R. same thing, street flooding, possible fires from that incredibly modern wiring system they have (j/k). My heart's out to all involved. Even the beach Patrons will have to rebuild or replace palapas on the bay. East shores of the peninsula will be hit the hardest... any word from La Paz? It got slammed today according to the satellites.

Arterthought: This storm should be a good barometer on how the excavations up-river from Mulege are going to eventually pan out. After all the digging the last storm created more havoc with mud from what I read as it transpired. Long-run this will show if anything positive came out of the digging. The next few days will tell. Buena Suerte a todos del Mulege.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by bajabuddha]

MulegeAL - 9-1-2017 at 05:18 PM

Just talked with my contractor Alfredo in Mulege by cell. They are all OK, in his house up the hill past the old mission. Says it is rainy and windy. If the river comes up it will be tonight.

Update at 10 AM tomorrow, assuming comm still works!

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by MulegeAL]

Sr.vienes - 9-1-2017 at 05:35 PM

Cabo and San Jose look like they have a lot of flood damage.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=haiwyra9Ino

Russ - 9-1-2017 at 05:35 PM

Rain and wind the last hour. The others here have flooding inside. I'm lucky so far and have only soaked 2 beach towels instead of 2" inside. My Excede internet is down but the new system is still working.
This is the high temp, wind and rain for the day.

This is at 6:23

I've been told my rain gauge is way off and it maybe because of the sideways rain if it is off.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by Russ]

Alm - 9-1-2017 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  

I've been told my rain gauge is way off and it maybe because of the sideways rain if it is off.

Maybe they are right. Hourly rain rate could be off.
2 inch a day is believable - that's A LOT of rain!

Russ - 9-1-2017 at 06:12 PM

I stuck my head out the window and shot a few surf shoots while there was a low in the rain. Take a long time to upload to photo bucket so one at a time.

The end

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by Russ]

vandenberg - 9-1-2017 at 06:33 PM

Wind and rain finally slowed down here in Nopolo/Loreto. If this system get to the Mulege/ Santa Rosalia area with the same intensity, you guys are in for a rough night I'm afraid.

Russ - 9-1-2017 at 08:13 PM

It really sucks when a storm comes thru at night. I hear a lot more things moving around to worry about. Hope there is some relief by morning.... or sooner would be nice. Be safe out there!

Cardonal - 9-1-2017 at 08:30 PM

Russ, please be safe. Thanks for your reports and photos and real storm data. You're facing the storm so that the rest of us, wherever we are, can sleep at night. I look forward to your morning reports almost as much as YOU must look forward to MORNING! Aloha, y cuidate.

shari - 9-1-2017 at 09:38 PM

our internet & power has been on and off..so I will make this quick....very strong winds....maybe 45 knots....no rain yet in Bahia Asuncion. I am hoping Lidia calms down a bit overnight! Good luck everyone...be safe...hope we have internet in the morning but I doubt it.

Mula - 9-1-2017 at 10:02 PM

No more reports from Lopez Mateos because I left at 7am to drive through the storm to San Quintin.

Am going to Alaska for a week!

Lee - 9-1-2017 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
Cabo and San Jose look like they have a lot of flood damage.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=haiwyra9Ino

Looks like a chunk of airport road out of of San Jose got flooded away. Rain and flooding.

bajabuddha - 9-1-2017 at 10:40 PM

Lidia looks to be moving westward a little early, which will be a relief for points north of Mulege. That's a good thing for the northern half. However, most reports say it's gonna be a tough night until it does.

BajaBlanca - 9-1-2017 at 10:57 PM

boy, I could not log onto the internet all day. we had gusts of wind and I spent most of the day making sure my plants were (hopefully) safe from gale force winds, brought all the furniture in, put my car in the garage since driver side window has refused to go down. There was so much dust in the air, it was ridiculously hot and humid.

This was the sky at 7:30pm!

rsz_img_4326.jpg - 69kB

About 10pm, the hurricane decided to hit La Bocana. Driving rain and gale force wind and the ocean sounds downright ominous. Stay safe everyone....and go away Lidia!

Russ - 9-2-2017 at 01:32 AM

2:30am wind at 41mph not raining right now so opened some windows. 81º outside. Back to bed...

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 02:17 AM

It's over for you in Mulege. Now it's BOLA turn.

Meany - 9-2-2017 at 02:43 AM

Glad to here no more heavy rain?? A couple more hrs and the wind should die down some. Have a safe night. Coffee in the morning.

Russ - 9-2-2017 at 04:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Just got an email from our friends that are staying at our home in Punta Chivato very windy and rain off and on. We had an outside guest bedroom door blow off the hinges and also our garage door was blown off it's hinges. Now keep in mind both doors had previous wind damage and in the case of the Garage door it is being replaced next week because it was completely shot and I had my doubts that it would survive this storm. The bedroom door was also in need of replacing so I guess this will speed up the process. Both doors have survived 10+ years of storms and Baja so I consider this damage more the affect of the cumulative nature of things in Baja and not just this storm. Stay safe everyone.

Your house guests have been very quiet. Sounds like they are not having much rest during this storm. Tell them I can help if needed. Since I'm sure the road is out and their contractor may not get in I'm here if needed. Do they have a radio?
5:30 wind still howling 35 to 40+, total rain this morning 1/4", Dark

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2017 at 05:15 AM

6am here on the bay in mulege...

I've never seen the ocean in the bay so "mad"
looked just like russ's pictures

the water is currently brown from the run-off...it'll clear in a day
lots of wind all night

its still dark
lots of wind but no rain
metered at 25mph with gusts to 30mph

wind is supposed to drop off in a few hours

chuckie - 9-2-2017 at 05:32 AM

Any news from town? I had a Video from Alex last nite from the river bridge, didn't look good..But no news since..Glad you came through!

mooose29 - 9-2-2017 at 06:43 AM

Russ, thank you for the offer I will let them know. Looks like they still have internet as I just saw a couple things from them. Sounds like we ended up losing 3 of the 4 doors on the garage, good times. The new ones were due to be installed next week but I'm sure this will delay things a bit as it sounds like there is a lot of fixing to be done in the area. Yes they have the VHF that is in the house.

Glad you are safe this morning and hope everyone else is as well.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by mooose29]

BajaMama - 9-2-2017 at 07:05 AM

Russ thanks for the updates.

tiotomasbcs - 9-2-2017 at 07:25 AM

The storm finally moved North. Two days and a night. Lots of wind and rain yesterday as she bid farewell. A few buckets outside are overflowing. Four inches of rain, minimum I think. Clear and calm this morning. Lots of leaves, palm, and dirt to clean up. Hang tough. Tomas ps power still out altho I hear There is power in Todos Santos. Hopefully, soon! :bounce:

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by tiotomasbcs]

Russ - 9-2-2017 at 07:25 AM

My new internet service didn't make it thru the night and Excede is really slow to upload photos so no pics for awhile.
Mostly cloudy here and winds to 30mph. Those that are here checked in with some flooding inside and some other non threatening damage that can be fixed in due time. Beth said she had a leak in her garage that she was able to fix with a paper towel. So although a lot of you are worried about your places there is good news out there. I'll try to report on the road tomorrow. I'll check around the homes in my area a little later when the wind decreases and send e-mails out.

Pescador - 9-2-2017 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Russ, thank you for the offer I will let them know. Looks like they still have internet as I just saw a couple things from them. Sounds like we ended up losing 3 of the 4 doors on the garage, good times. The new ones were due to be installed next week but I'm sure this will delay things a bit as it sounds like there is a lot of fixing to be done in the area. Yes they have the VHF that is in the house.

Glad you are safe this morning and hope everyone else is as well.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by mooose29]

I got an email from them also and they said except for needing a little more wine than normal, they were doing well.

shari - 9-2-2017 at 08:39 AM

Buenos dias from Bahia Asuncion...it was a long noisy night with high winds but no rain...I kept getting up expecting to mop and nada but it is raining now a bit and winds are down...birds are flying.
By the satellite looks like we may get more of Lidia's wind but not much rain. Hope Mulege & San Ignacio were spared this time!

wilderone - 9-2-2017 at 08:47 AM

"... thousands of monarch butterflies "
Actually, those are Painted Lady. There are mass migrations from Mexico. Food plants include mallow, aster and thistles.

EngineerMike - 9-2-2017 at 08:51 AM

Just talked to Sergio Santos Miranda by cel phone from downtown Mulege, he's doing recon. Short story- flooding in the low areas but not radical.
Town side of river: water got half way up from ordinary river edge to Saul's store in La Fortuna park; @ low bridge- water came to the back of the 1st bldg (used to house Comex paint store) but not up into town there
Downriver on south side: Casa #56 got ~4ft inside, Christofer's #55 would have about 2ft; Casa M-3 no water in house but mud slick in the yard so there was water in Leon's office but not a lot.
Further downriver: Judy & Bill Havig- no water in house, just up to Bill's gravel.
Land line phones are out for now; on so.side of river poles are down which will take days. Given more populated & hard hit areas to the south, likely they'll get the most horsepower in repair crews for a while for both phone & power so repairs outside of town center will take days.

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2017 at 09:13 AM

Shari, you had no rain? we have had rain all night long and it continues now. The only upside is that my plants are really happy and the desert will be wonderful after it greens up.

raging loud wind, all night and continues now.

gray skies and by the looks of it, it will stay like that all day.

Amazing that we have internet!

eastcape

volcano - 9-2-2017 at 09:45 AM

just heard from my caretaker who lives at Castillo De Arena, south of Cabo Pulmo and Frailes......30 hours of torrential rain..Arroyo Frailes and Arroyo Salado full

shari - 9-2-2017 at 09:47 AM

We currently have a misty type rain at times but no rain last night..wind has switched around a bit now WSW and by the satellite it looks like the bulk of the system moved up and over to the gulf side..BOLA looks to be in the thick of it now. My plants are whipping around but might make it through...the jasmine is looking beat up...wonder how Cheri did in Lopez Mateos....any reports from there?

my heart goes out to those down south who suffered damage...as usual Asuncion dodged the bullet....glad I didnt bet a 6 pac on no rain though! The pitayas will be nice.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by shari]

CaboMagic - 9-2-2017 at 10:27 AM

For people who are unfamiliar with, or inexperienced, rain in Baja can be un-nerving .. This writing is probably mostly for them - and I welcome comments and additions/edits as appropriate - intending for this to be a helpful post.

Built on sand which cannot absorb water, means flooding when it rains- even a light rain causes pooling/flooding. Our towns/cities weren't built by forward-thinking engineers who created flood pathways ("The LA River" in Los Angeles for example) so Mother Nature has her way which we call arroyos (dangerous to be in btw so don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise). Thankfully, many Baja areas utilize damage post-storm to address flooding issues.

Lidia dumped record-breaking amounts of rain on Cabo/SjD/Todos according to "GringoGazette' reporting.

A few days of clean-up and things will be mostly back to normal conditions. In nearly 25 years of experience in the Cabo/San Jose del Cabo region, I'm still absolutely amazed by the rapidity in which clean-up occurs, and at the resilience of the remarkable people that call it home. Heroes are those that go forward with hands extended in times of need to those in need ..

On behalf of those who are part of the ever growing extended Cabo Magic familia, as well as the numerous residents of our area, we thank you for the support. We send good thoughts to 'your' area along the path of this storm as she made her way north up the Baja Peninsula.

Lori

come on down!

Boulder bob222 - 9-2-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
For people who are unfamiliar with, or inexperienced, rain in Baja can be un-nerving .. This writing is probably mostly for them - and I welcome comments and additions/edits as appropriate - intending for this to be a helpful post.

Built on sand which cannot absorb water, means flooding when it rains- even a light rain causes pooling/flooding. Our towns/cities weren't built by forward-thinking engineers who created flood pathways ("The LA River" in Los Angeles for example) so Mother Nature has her way which we call arroyos (dangerous to be in btw so don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise). Thankfully, many Baja areas utilize damage post-storm to address flooding issues.

Lidia dumped record-breaking amounts of rain on Cabo/SjD/Todos according to "GringoGazette' reporting.

A few days of clean-up and things will be mostly back to normal conditions. In nearly 25 years of experience in the Cabo/San Jose del Cabo region, I'm still absolutely amazed by the rapidity in which clean-up occurs, and at the resilience of the remarkable people that call it home. Heroes are those that go forward with hands extended in times of need to those in need ..

On behalf of those who are part of the ever growing extended Cabo Magic familia, as well as the numerous residents of our area, we thank you for the support. We send good thoughts to 'your' area along the path of this storm as she made her way north up the Baja Peninsula.

Lori

Old Baja a resilient state.
New Baja a resilient FAILED state.

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 11:13 AM

Lidia was a good test of windy.com. Wind for BA, rain for BOLA as predicted.
Any news from BOLA? It's all quiet at their little FB page since yesterday night, must be soaking right now.

Hook - 9-2-2017 at 12:52 PM

Pretty much a non-event in BOLA, if this PWS can be believed. Only a half inch of rain so far today, none yesterday.

Highest gusts so far in both days was 23mph. Only 5mph right now.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashbo...

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 12:54 PM

BOLA, posted 30 minutes ago. Rain have eased a little but it's not over yet. 150 evacuees, 8 of them in temporary shelter. Can't see streams on the main road like during the Odile, but then it was running along the "malecon" side of the road. Some big puddles, look behind the cops car:
https://www.facebook.com/plexmexico/photos/a.471997852903826...

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by Alm]

bowser - 9-2-2017 at 12:56 PM

Does any one know what's happening in BOLA? Ever since Odile it has been a lot more intense being NOB when the storms hit and not knowing what is going on.

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 01:01 PM

Bowser, you must've typed at the same time with me. "looks" like there is less water than during Odille.

bajaric - 9-2-2017 at 01:53 PM

Looks like she went right up the spine, weather dot com sat around noon thirty 09/02 showing band of heavy rainfall extending from Gonzaga across to the mainland and heading west towards San Quintin and out to sea in a northwest direction. Here in metro San Diego 15 miles inland it is 95 - 102 in the shade depending on what thermometer I am looking at; Lydia, come on up here and cool things off a little, please.

David K - 9-2-2017 at 02:02 PM

On Facebook, Mary at Playa Mexico (between San Felipe and Puertecitos) posted photos of very stormy beach conditions. Just a day earlier photos from Vern at El Vergel showed beautiful weather. How quickly it changes!

Udo - 9-2-2017 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for your updates, DK.

You do have some good contacts in Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
On Facebook, Mary at Playa Mexico (between San Felipe and Puertecitos) posted photos of very stormy beach conditions. Just a day earlier photos from Vern at El Vergel showed beautiful weather. How quickly it changes!

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 03:05 PM

The problem with most of these towns - no flood pathways. In BOLA Odlie filled that big dry lake above the air strip, and then it emptied through the gully, following the main road to town as a pathway. All they need is a flood channel from that lake to somewhere near sandspit with that little lighthouse. In 40-50 years maybe they will build.

Beagle - 9-2-2017 at 03:23 PM

Any reports coming in yet from San Juanico? Thank you

Loreto

tehag - 9-2-2017 at 03:43 PM

Lots of nice rain here. Some wind gusts near hurricane strength. Power outages and some damage. Road is cut 22 miles south. Road north has mudslides and lots of rocks for the 40m miles or so that we went today. Feds are discouraging car travel in both directions. San Javier road is good until the cave-painting arroyo, then iffy as far as the big curve, where it is very bad. There are crews and gear at work up there. We are going to try again tonight, I'll post tomorrow.

The Red-spotted Toads are singing, "Gonna be GREEN and BUGGY real soon."

bajabuddha - 9-2-2017 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Spoken like a true gringo...!!!

Any suggestions on how to prevent periodic flooding of this town without "gringo" flood-control measures?

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by Alm]

I have one..... just like the tried and true way of getting rid of goatheads and morning glories.......

MOVE.

Or, call in a professional City Planner, pay him a minimum of $50k (US) for 2 weeks' work to re-design the City's infrastructure and run-off management, plot out a viable run-off system and flood control plan, then file a grant application for funding and implementation. Other than that, y'er in Baja. SOS, DD. Life goes on as usual.

Beagle - 9-2-2017 at 06:14 PM

Why does even a Storm and road report thread have to get fu#$ed up with D-Bags bickering at each other over who thinks they know more useless sh!t than the other? Can't you even leave one thread alone without vomiting all over it?

Some people might actually be perusing this thread to get some useful info. Why not (if even for your own little bit of dignity) take it to private messages? Damn, I'm embarrassed for you.

Sr.vienes - 9-2-2017 at 06:25 PM

OK Beagle I'll stay on point. Got a report (third hand and kinda sketchy) our place between Leonero and La Ribera is still there. Power and phone is non existent or spotty at best no, power in Los Barlilles, and a lot of washed out roads. No one said anything about homes damaged. If anyone has more I would like to hear it.

billklaser - 9-2-2017 at 06:48 PM

I am one user interested in up to date road reports of possible damage. I am planning on driving to Loreto in a day or two. I find the irresponsible crap irritating and a distraction. Please stay on point. Thank You

norte - 9-2-2017 at 07:04 PM

not much in terms of road reports here, see if you can find another site. Last I heard road was closed in multiple spots.

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/lluvias-de-lidia-provocan-cortes-c...

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by norte]

billklaser - 9-2-2017 at 07:22 PM

Thanks for proving my point. My God!

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
I am one user interested in up to date road reports of possible damage. I am planning on driving to Loreto in a day or two.

I would wait at least a day or two AFTER the rain has stopped, and it (probably) rains in North Baja right now. Here it looks like the road at Catavina is gone. Disregard the usual BN crapola.

LancairDriver - 9-2-2017 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
I am one user interested in up to date road reports of possible damage. I am planning on driving to Loreto in a day or two.

I would wait at least a day or two AFTER the rain has stopped, and it (probably) rains in North Baja right now. Here it looks like the road at Catavina is gone. Disregard the usual BN crapola.

And always from the same usual suspects. It's as predictable as death and taxes.

Udo - 9-2-2017 at 08:25 PM

How did a Baja storm thread get to this???:?:
:?:
:?:

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2017 at 09:01 PM

The storm has left La Bocana 100%. No wind. No rain for hours now.

Good riddance.

Bajame - 9-2-2017 at 10:24 PM

San Ignacio flooded again and the B&B has water surrounding it, lot's of damage I think. Power out.

Alm - 9-2-2017 at 11:59 PM

More pics from BOLA. New ramp and beach in front of Diaz motelito near the ramp.

Totals for the country: 1 person missing, 7 dead including 2 children, 1,400 evacuees.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by Alm]

Russ - 9-3-2017 at 04:29 AM

Shocking! 76º this morning ~ no wind ~ very pleasant
Very sorry to hear about BOLA and San Ignacio! Hope All can start to get back to Baja life style soon. Stay prepared though because it's still the storm season. Be Safe out there. Road reports would be helpful now.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by Russ]

Fair and Balanced

MrBillM - 9-3-2017 at 09:38 AM

When discussing these "Periodic Natural Occurrences" It would be fair to take issue with those who criticize decisions made by others IF one were to also take issue with those who whine over the misfortune suffered as a result of THEIR decisions.

One should accept that a decision to live in an area vulnerable to the vagaries of nature has foreseeable hazards and accept the results.

mtgoat666 - 9-3-2017 at 10:21 AM

Now raining in san diego! Warning! Take cover!

mtgoat666 - 9-3-2017 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
When discussing these "Periodic Natural Occurrences" It would be fair to take issue with those who criticize decisions made by others IF one were to also take issue with those who whine over the misfortune suffered as a result of THEIR decisions.

I agree......and those people should start a thread of their own!
With an ongoing emergency, this thread should be posts from people who have, or need information!

I wish Doug would scroll through this thread and give a thumbs up or down with his delete button to keep it on track. That would not be censorship, it would be community service.

I deleted my earlier, no longer relevant post. I invite others to do the same.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by AKgringo]

if you want storm recovery news and photos, look at talk baja. lot's there. many pics of flowing arroyos, it's as if no one has ever seen flowing water before!

if it's an emergency, the internet is last place to seek help. look to your neighbors or the local government or local NGO.

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2017 at 01:05 PM

BAJAME - are you saying the yurts are flooded out? yikes.

Pescador - 9-3-2017 at 01:11 PM

Here is the latest from Baja Road Reports and Weather. Ron Hoff has done a great job organizing this info:

Baja Weather & Road Conditions added 3 new photos — at Baja California Peninsula.
September 1 at 4:27pm · San Quintín ·
UPDATED: Latest Road Conditions Report
10:00AM PDT 03SEP2017
Transpeninsular Highway:
1. Flood damage BOTH North & South of Loreto
2. Flood damage North of La Paz
3. Flood damage at several locations between Mulege & Guerrero Negro
4. Some flooding remains at vado at Cataviña
5. Work underway to fix/create work-around's for the problem areas.
Los Cabos Area:
1. Flood damage to several major arteries and accesses
2. Two bridges down between Cabo San Lucas & San Jose
3. Airport - access from San Jose is open
4. Airport - access from Cabo San Lucas is open
5. Airport is operating.
6. Flood damage on the 4 lane at El Tezal - passable but slow.
7. Areas with no power-internet
8. Potable water system seriously affected / down
Todos Santos:
1. Flood damage on local roads
2. Highway from Pescadero to CSL blocked from mud-rock slide
3. Areas with no power-internet
La Paz:
1, Extensive flooding and damage but water receding
2. Damage to highway - suggested only high clearance 4x4 vehicles.
3. Airport is operating.
4. Potable water system seriously affected / down.
5. Areas with no power-internet
East Cape:
1. Flood damage on road coming from San Jose but passable
2. Santa Anita bridge collapsed but passable around
3. Some road damage at Miraflores , La Ribera and Santiago.
4. Road in/out of La Ventana/El Sargento is now clear.
5. Road open from Los Barriles north to La Paz
6. Limited to zero power-internet.
Punta Abreojos / La Bocana:
1. Heavy winds and rain.
2. Highway in flooded.
3. Salt Flats road flooded.
4. Limited power-internet.
Bahia Asuncion:
1. Heavy wind - some rain
2. Highway in flooded.
San Ignacio:
1. Reports of heavy flooding and road damage.
2. Limited to zero power-internet.
San Juanico / Scorpion Bay:
1. Reports of heavy flooding over both North & South access roads
2. Limited power-internet.
Loreto:
1. Several reports of flood damage but water is receding.
2. Areas with no power-internet
3. Potable water system seriously affected / down.
Mulege:
1. Heavy flooding but reports it is beginning to recede.
2 No power-internet.
Bahia de Los Angeles:
1. Heavy wind-rains with some flooding on road in.
2. Some damage to local roads and homes.
San Luis Gonzaga:
1. Very heavy wind and rain.
2. Some damage to local roads and homes.
San Felipe:
1. Reports of heavy wind but no flooding or damage reported.
San Quintín:
1. Some local flooding off the highway.
Due to all of the power/internet outages, many problems or updated information may not be listed yet. It is important to check back regularly; we will be updating as new information becomes available and can be confirmed...

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2017 at 01:22 PM

Wish I had seen this an hour ago when someone called to ask if the roads into Punta Abreojos were open! I had to answer that I had no idea.

I guess they aren't.

Alm - 9-3-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I wish Doug would scroll through this thread and give a thumbs up or down with his delete button to keep it on track. That would not be censorship, it would be community service.

I deleted my earlier, no longer relevant post.

Looks like Doug did it. Or the OP did. Don't know what makes people write things like this, insulting newcomers for no reason. I also deleted my - no longer relevant - post.

Alm - 9-3-2017 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Here is the latest from Baja Road Reports and Weather. Ron Hoff has done a great job organizing this info:...

Alright, how are things in poquito San Luquito and San Bruno? Have you been to Sta Rosalia already?

shari - 9-3-2017 at 05:13 PM

I spoke to a friend this afternoon holed up in Sta.Rosalia waiting to be able to pass to get home to San Lucitas.

Driving around town today in Asuncion you wouldnt even have known there was a storm....the teeny weeny bit of rain barely wet the soil....probably thanks to the shaman who was fervently shaking his bones and rattles not allowing the rain to come.

bajabuddha - 9-3-2017 at 05:21 PM

Sta R. to San Lucitas? Does that mean the big beautiful bridge between got taken out?

Thank goodness for shamans..... at least somebody has a plan for the future.... *grin* :biggrin:

Alm - 9-3-2017 at 05:36 PM

Hey Shari, we'll have to rent your shaman out to BOLA... Shouldn't cost much, and besides, we've been prohibited from doing anything else in the areas vulnerable to the vagaries of nature ;)

Seriously though, - doesn't sound like BOLA got it bad. The hurricane brought more wind than water, this time. Just 2 years after Odile, some haven't still recovered since then.

Juanita - 9-3-2017 at 07:08 PM

Now then, we have power again and the sun has come out. Truly, we did have 'a long night of heavy weather,' just as predicted, about 12 hours of moderately heavy rain and a fair amount of gusty wind, by San Ignacio standards, where the wind of hurricanes is not usually a problem. For once I had put my handy 5-gallon bucket out in the upper garden and it captured a full five inches of rain! Bucket also doubles as my outhouse at times. Bet your fancy weather station can't equal that! Though I wish I had one of those, too. Yes, the arroyo filled and ran, a pretty big flood but flowing away nicely and we expect the entry road will be open tomorrow, Monday. No big gulf opened at the side of the presa by Campo Los Petates, although the asphault has been moved about some. We will put it back.

Alm - 9-3-2017 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Sta R. to San Lucitas? Does that mean the big beautiful bridge between got taken out?

Thank goodness for shamans..... at least somebody has a plan for the future.... *grin* :biggrin:

Could be the bridge, could be flooding at any low-lying place on the road. There are/were streams across the road pretty much at every town South of Rosarito. Good thing they didn't listen to BN forum and did the right thing the "gringo way" - build the bridge.

Shamans are more a doers kind, not planners. When it plays out how it should've, he says - See, I did it. When it doesn't, he runs to the hills or gets beaten/eaten. Easy life :)

shari - 9-4-2017 at 08:44 AM

I truly dont understand why they spend so much money on all these fantastic bridges over arroyos that we know will flood and perhaps destroy them....seems to me just keep it natural and clean up the mud, rocks and sand afterwards would be cheaper.

A popular saying(albeit not PC) in these parts when we get no rain and everyone else does is...es porque hay muchos jotos aqui....and the jotos say..es porque hay muchos marijuanos aqui! and everyone laughs!

Alm - 9-4-2017 at 11:28 AM

Shari, there is no choice. People should not be living in Baja at all - not that many people.

A priest traveling with Commandante Cortez back then, described Baja as a useless place, rocks, sand and thorny bushes, concluding that nobody would ever want to settle there. 400 years ago there were only local small tribes here, they were doing fine for themselves - by their standards.

You/we want bridges, roads, ATM, cable internet, running water etc etc. In the place where there is no water and roads get destroyed almost every year. So they will build and repair.

Are there reports that the bridge has been actually destroyed?

Here is Cabo: Video.

BajaGlenn - 9-4-2017 at 11:42 AM

Shari, there is no choice. People should not be living in Baja at all - not that many people.

A priest traveling with Commandante Cortez back then, described Baja as a useless place, rocks, sand and thorny bushes, concluding that nobody would ever want to settle there. 400 years ago there were only local small tribes here, they were doing fine for themselves - by their standards.

You/we want bridges, roads, ATM, cable internet, running water etc etc. In the place where there is no water and roads get destroyed almost every year. So they will build and repair.

Are there reports that the bridge has been actually destroyed?

Here is Cabo: Video.

Actually ALM the quote is "Pathless waterless thornfull rock- thrust up between two oceans" Jesuit as i remember--One of my favorite quotes Not a happy camper i guess

[Edited on 9-4-2017 by BajaGlenn]

Alm - 9-4-2017 at 12:17 PM

Glenn - yes, I think this was the text that I read years ago. Couldn't find it now.

chuckie - 9-4-2017 at 12:50 PM

Noted over on TB, last update: Bridge out between Santa Rosalia and Mulege , passable with precautions...

grapenut1956 - 9-4-2017 at 12:50 PM

Hey Russ, glad you made it thru ok, again. And thank you for the updates. Linda Newton

David K - 9-4-2017 at 01:46 PM

The Facebook page 'San Luis Gonzaga' is showing damage to the homes at Alfonsina's.

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2017 at 01:59 PM

The Facebook page 'San Luis Gonzaga' is showing damage to the homes at Alfonsina's.

Perfect example of why you should not build on a sand spit. Your houses are basically built on the beach.
Perhaps they should rebuild inland on higher ground, eh? Sea level is rising...

David K - 9-4-2017 at 02:30 PM

Just like at Bahia Santa Maria, people want a place on the beach with unobstructed view and access. Everyone knows that Nature bats last and storms with high tide can contact these homes or move sand from in front of or underneith them. The sea level change (if there was any) has nothing to do with damage from storm waves. After the storm, the sea returns to the normal level as it has countless times before. If it was rising, then after 60 years, you shouldn't be able to see it still below fixed physical objects that were just above the sea then. Yet, these objects are still just above the sea now as they were back then.

chuckie - 9-4-2017 at 03:14 PM

omigod..here he goes again..

chuckie - 9-4-2017 at 03:22 PM

How could a page about storm damage get to this?

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2017 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
How could a page about storm damage get to this?

how can one talk about one storm without evaluating it in terms of of all storms and our dynamic mother earth? :?:

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2017 at 03:51 PM

Just like at Bahia Santa Maria, people want a place on the beach with unobstructed view and access. Everyone knows that Nature bats last and storms with high tide can contact these homes or move sand from in front of or underneith them. The sea level change (if there was any) has nothing to do with damage from storm waves. After the storm, the sea returns to the normal level as it has countless times before. If it was rising, then after 60 years, you shouldn't be able to see it still below fixed physical objects that were just above the sea then. Yet, these objects are still just above the sea now as they were back then.

dk,
again...
if sea level rises 8 inches, the shore does not disappear beneath the sea.
what happens is:
the high tide is 8 inches higher,
the median tide is 8 inches higher, and
the low tide is 8 inches higher.

think about it! :light:

David K - 9-4-2017 at 04:01 PM

I am sure 8" is a big thing to you goat. 8" did not destroy beach homes, however.

rts551 - 9-4-2017 at 04:16 PM

Since the storm damage is not a big thing to some (I feel for the people in Bahia Gonzaga), Maybe this will help you out David.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/glo...

or this one

https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2015/08/26/nasa-rising-seas-abo...

[Edited on 9-4-2017 by rts551]

rts551 - 9-4-2017 at 04:19 PM

Road open now with detours in Catavina, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, and multiple points around Loreto and Cabo.

bajabuddha - 9-4-2017 at 04:21 PM

FISH ON ! :bounce:

chuckie - 9-4-2017 at 04:32 PM

BUT? WHY?

Alm - 9-4-2017 at 04:44 PM

I agree with everybody :) that first of all this is the fact of building on sand, few feet away from high tide. Locals rarely did this in the past. Maybe now they do it more often, when there is no other land or they've become commercialized - thinking about some tourist business and waterfront property appeal.

I don't know how soon those 8" will come. There is a consensus, however, that climate does change. Wind and storm patterns become less predictable, more sudden and often more violent. Odille was bad, nothing like this ever happened since the beginning of records 70 or 80 years ago. Lidia has come close to it, just a short 3 years after. Saw the Cabo video? They will clean the mud, fix the roads and viaducts, build more drainage ditches, seawalls, locals and tourists will pay the bill. Next hurricane will do less damage, and then another one will come heavier than before.

KaceyJ - 9-4-2017 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

dk,
again...
if sea level rises 8 inches, the shore does not disappear beneath the sea.
what happens is:
the high tide is 8 inches higher,
the median tide is 8 inches higher, and
the low tide is 8 inches higher.

think about it! :light:

Come on Goat

You can do better than that

Aren't you an edumacated HYdrologist???

What about beach sand depositing

Never any mention of that argument:lol:

KaceyJ - 9-4-2017 at 07:38 PM

Budda's got it right!

bajabuddha - 9-4-2017 at 07:39 PM

.... And the reel goes, zzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!!

KaceyJ - 9-4-2017 at 07:41 PM

Old saying

"Sea level rise ,Sand level rise "

"Only Knuckle draggers not move inland"

Alm - 9-5-2017 at 12:43 PM

Seal level rise is caused by Arctic ice melting. More water.
Sand may shift around, but I don't remember reports on fast increase of the total mass of sand on the planet. Maybe hydrologists could shed some light on this.

Yeah, don't worry, be happy, fish on, have a cold one. Move - I love it, will pass this good news to local villagers - move. JeezzzZZZ...

TMW - 9-5-2017 at 02:02 PM

If you put ice cubes in a glass and fill it with water does the water go higher when the ice melts?

rts551 - 9-5-2017 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you put ice cubes in a glass and fill it with water does the water go higher when the ice melts?

Sure glad you brought that up.

depends upon how much of the ice cube is above the water line...for example...if you add ice to a glass of water does the water line go up? Now....how much of the glacier melt is above the water line.

[Edited on 9-5-2017 by rts551]

Pages:  1  2