BajaNomad

Swimming with whale sharks near La Paz

TecateRay - 8-31-2017 at 03:43 PM

We're thinking of trying this next April. Has anyone done this trip? Is it seasonal or will there be whale sharks there in mid April? Is there a preferred trip company?

Our plan is to spend a week in La Paz and get lots of water adventures in for our teenage grandkids. I would appreciate any other recommendations as well.

chippy - 8-31-2017 at 04:19 PM

I believe whale shark season is Oct.to Feb. Easter sun. falls on April 1st so you shouldn´t be affected by the hoards. There are many outfits offering tours.

jbcoug - 8-31-2017 at 05:16 PM

I went twice this past April with Benjamin Duarte, excellent! He is extremely knowledgeable about the whale sharks. He does a number of different things the grandkids might enjoy, kayaking, snorkleing, biking, hiking. We had a great experienc and I plan to use him for additional excursions next spring.

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by jbcoug]

A Whale of a Ride ?

MrBillM - 8-31-2017 at 05:32 PM

At Gonzaga Bay, I once found myself (back in the '70s) in the water with a Whale Shark with those on the beach egging me on to take a ride, but I didn't try.

Which I regretted.

Opportunities like that shouldn't be passed up. They may never come again.

As it didn't.

TecateRay - 8-31-2017 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jbcoug  
I went twice this past April with Benjamin Duarte, excellent! He is extremely knowledgeable about the whale sharks. He does a number of different things the grandkids might enjoy, kayaking, snorkleing, biking, hiking. We had a great experienc and I plan to use him for additional excursions next spring.

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by jbcoug]

Do you have contact info for Benjamin Duarte?

Marc - 9-1-2017 at 06:10 AM

This was August a few years ago in BOLA with Henry Daggett. We jumped in with this guy. Unfortunately no underwater camera on board.

weebray - 9-1-2017 at 07:21 AM

The whole whale shark tourism thing in La Paz is pretty much out of control. Notwithstanding the rules these poor animals are being harassed constantly by any number of pangas with the ubiquitous drunken sailor. The newest twist is night dives with powerful lights. That is just starting. The whale shark as tourist attraction is in it's infancy here. These animals were really only "discovered" by the public recently. Right now, as in today the first of Sept. there are guys holding up signs WHALE SHARK on street corners here like it was a discount mattress factory in Tustin. Now everyone line up and start to tell us how your guy (Benjamin, Ramon or Manny or Carlos etc.) gets it and always respects the rules. No REALLY, he's a nice guy. There I go and I've tried to be less pessimistic this year.

gnukid - 9-1-2017 at 09:19 AM

There is a great deal of government pressure to move resources from the deteriorating sport fishing industry to ecotourism to swim with seals and whale sharks in BCS. Ecotourism is among the most popular majors at local schools. There are rules for swimming with whale sharks but they are not always followed nor enforced. Ultimately the result is the fish are harassed by panga captains who are inexperienced and under pressure by businesses to take more people without proper resources and training to make money.

http://www.whalesharkmexico.com/management-conservation/

https://redtravelmexico.com/whale-sharks-la-paz/

The Way it IS in Mexico

MrBillM - 9-1-2017 at 10:33 AM

" ................. There are rules [insert subject here] but they are not always (often) followed nor enforced ".

Which can be good or bad.

movinguy - 9-1-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
" ................. There are rules [insert subject here] but they are not always (often) followed nor enforced ".

Which can be good or bad.

You mean like stop signs?

Back to the original subject, IMHO the best way to view them is from a kayak. Saw quite a few in Punta Chivato a few years ago (in April). They swim on the surface so you can keep a respectable distance and still have the experience. Don't see much point in getting in the water with them . . .

jbcoug - 9-1-2017 at 05:01 PM

Benjamin Duarte contact info:

bikingexplorers@yahoo.com

612 1390202

By the way, I would say that Benjamin is as respectful and considerate with the whale sharks as Shari is with her gray whales. And that is saying something!

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by jbcoug]

yumawill - 9-2-2017 at 10:37 AM

And this resource too shall go the way of sport fishing. It will soon only live in the stories of old men told in the shade at the plaza. How sad the way we treat God's creatures.
If only we could make Baja of limits for a decade. But even that wouldn't help.............

tiotomasbcs - 9-2-2017 at 11:45 AM

EcoTourism? Nature for sale! If you want to swim with whalesharks I would say do it in a small town like B of LA or Mulege. In La Paz the water isn't real clean?! Tio

SFandH - 9-2-2017 at 12:07 PM

I've been among whale sharks with my kayak in Bahia Concepcion and they really are docile creatures. If they were feeling harassed they certainly didn't show it. They seldom even make an effort to get away from the kayaks and other boats that go out to see them.

However, I don't agree with those who jump in the water and try to grab on to them. That's a bad idea IMHO.

The biggest problem I can see with this type of tourist activity is the accidental collisions between the animals and outboard motor propellers. And that does happen. Many times the whale sharks are submerged enough to hide the dorsal fin but not deep enough to avoid the propeller. I bet most of the panga drivers who take tourists out have accidentally hit at least one whale shark.

That's where the problem is and it's a significant problem.

If you want to see a whale shark use some sort of paddle boat, don't go on a motor boat.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by SFandH]

del mar - 9-2-2017 at 12:16 PM

im thinking they're pretty happy if all we want to do is swim with them!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140129-whale...

gnukid - 9-2-2017 at 12:22 PM

Its actually against the current BCS rules to use personal watercraft to pursue whale shark including SUP, kayak etc unless with a certified guide. But there is no enforcement.

Marc - 9-4-2017 at 11:56 AM

Regarding my post and image: we were FISHING. The fish swam up to the boat and posed for pictures. Take another look. When we jumped in the fish just hung around and after a while swam slowly off to the east. Jeese! The self righteous killjoys on this board.

Getting a GRIP

MrBillM - 9-7-2017 at 12:13 PM

Given their size, should a Whale Shark feel harassed or inconvenienced by someone climbing on for a buddy ride, they could obviously deal with the offender.

By submerging or engaging in other behavior.

Which entered into my decision to not take advantage of the opportunity.

SO, whether someone else thinks it's a good idea or not, assuming no actual mistreatment, it's really a matter between the man (or woman) and the beast involved.

Should it go wrong for the Human ....................... Tough Caca.