BajaNomad

Santo Tomas to La Bocana Road

WestyWanderer - 9-1-2017 at 03:50 PM

We have never been out to La Bocana so next week we are headed that way for some camping and relaxing on the beach. How is the road from Santo Tomas to La Bocana? We are traveling in a Tacoma with an off-road pop-up trailer.

Normally I wouldn't ask but we are trying to plan out our daughter's nap (she is the only kid on this planet that doesn't nap in the car seat) and this is the only part of the route that is an unknown. Is it a well graded, fast road?

It'll be a quick trip for us (just two nights) so we are trying to plan it out as much as possible to maximize time on the beach.

Thanks in advance

David K - 9-1-2017 at 04:30 PM

Until DanO or another Nomad responds who drives that road often, I can tell you about the first few miles that go to the first and second Santo Tomás mission sites... the road is graded, washboard surface. I would deflate the Tacoma tires to 20-25 psi for not only a nicer drive but also better tire flat resistance and traction should you drive in sand or up steep grades. Naturally, you want a good air pump when you return to the highway.

DanO - 9-1-2017 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Is it a well graded, fast road?

It's well-graded in parts, not so much in others. There are several long sections of bad washboard and some rocky sections in particular that definitely are not conducive to napping. That said, when my kids were little they used to fall asleep on that drive all the time in their car seats, to my amazement.

As for speed, it will not be fast if you're dragging a trailer. There are a couple of fairly steep uphill and downhill sections, a few switchbacks, and the aforementioned washboard and rocky areas. Also, there's a good chance you'll come upon cattle in the roadway, as well as the occasional oncoming pickup going way too fast, especially on Fridays when the ranchers and fishermen are jamming into town to spend their pay (tip: keep to the right on blind corners).

Notwithstanding all of that, it's a beautiful drive, and the beach was great when I was down there a few weeks ago. Please post a trip report when you return.

WestyWanderer - 9-1-2017 at 08:31 PM

Thanks fellas, good to know.

DanO, looking at google earth the beach on the south end of the river mouth looks like a good place to camp, is that true?